Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK4ever
Before I begin writing what I want to say in this thread, I first need to say a few things so those of you posting may understand a few things about me and my perspective.

I have only been a Christian for about 5 years and spent almost 3 of those years not in church. I instead kept my nose squarely planted in the Bible. I read the Bible all the way through in that time and probably went through the New Testament 3-4 times. I would re-read some parts of the Old Testament which I got a lot out of as well. I also read various parts of Proverbs and Psalms quite a bit when I was going through the New Testament. Along with reading the Bible, I read Mere Christianity a couple of times. I read some Christian Fiction and various other Christian non-fiction books such as The Prayer of Jabez, Approaching Hoof beats, and The Science of God just to name a few. Throughout those 3 years, I had fellowship with a few Christians and did a few Bible studies but didn't go to church.

I'm saying all of this as I want the readers to know that although I think I've come along way from where I was at and I've been on fire for the Word, I have a lot to learn! I am now a Baptist and have a church which I belong to with my family. Since I've only been in and around a church for about a year and a half, I have a lot to learn about doctrine, creationism, and various other Christian religious subjects which I have only begun to dig into.

Having said this, I have, however, read enough of the Bible and other Christian books to have developed some opinions and beliefs which will hopefully strengthen the more I learn and discuss this stuff with other believers.

The subject of this thread is The Old Testament. As far as I'm concerned, you can't have The New Testament without The Old Testament. This is one such opinion I have. Some of my motivation in starting this thread is concern and shock. I'll get into this in a minute.

One of the single most important scriptures I read when I was going through the Bible which conclusivley proved once and for all the validity of the Bible and that Jesus the Christ is the Son of God, can be found in the very beginning of The New Testament; Matthew 1:1-17. The lineage of Jesus Christ goes back all the way to Abraham and Abraham can be traced to Noah whose lineage goes back to Adam. Yes, there are many many other scriptures in the Old Testament which Jesus quoted from (Prophecy) which conclusively prove he is The Messiah, which I do believe in, but this lineage from Matthew conclusively showed me that The Bible in it's entirety is the absolute Word of God!

Now, I'm not sure what camp I fall into when talking about Creationism. I'm not sure how I feel about the 6 days and whether that's literal or not. In the Science of God book which I read, the Christian author talked about the days being not 24 hour days from our way of thinking but days which could have been millions of years. I'm still reading and thinking on this. Whatever may be the case, which I'll never truly know while physically alive on earth, The Old Testament, for me, is Truth!

Back to my concern and shock. I read recently in a thread on TOL that a poster made the statement that "the majority of Christians do not believe in Creation". The statement came from a non-believer but a believer seemed to back that statement up. The believer further stated "that the stories in The Old Testament are meant for us to gain spiritual insight and tools" (not an exact quote). However, this statement seemed to allude that what's written in the Old Testament didn't happen. As I said, this concerns me and shocks me.

If Jesus' lineage can be traced back to Adam, how could a believer believe in Jesus the Christ if they make and believe in statements that "The Old Testament is not true, but just mainly stories for spiritual motivation?" I just can't believe this! Furthermore, I refuse to believe "that the majority of Christians believe this way". If this indeed does become the case, we "Bible believers" will truly become the minority and the prophecy will come true where we will truly become unaccepted and persecuted! I'm not so naive that I don't see the battles that are going on in society as I write this, but I had no idea that some Christians are willing to believe that The Old Testament to be false. As I said and believe, this belief undermines who Jesus the Christ is.

I am truly apalled by this! In fact, I'm saddened and feel sick. I would like to know what the Old Testament means to some of you and how you feel about what I've written. Do you feel the same way I do? If you don't, explain how and why you can possibly be a Christian without believing in the proven lineage of Jesus? Jesus quoted from the Old Testament. The New Testament shows Old Testament phrophecy which came true. If you don't believe in the Old Testament, how do you account for this?

In Christ,

SOTK
Especially note:
One of the single most important scriptures I read when I was going through the Bible which conclusivley proved once and for all the validity of the Bible and that Jesus the Christ is the Son of God, can be found in the very beginning of The New Testament; Matthew 1:1-17. The lineage of Jesus Christ goes back all the way to Abraham and Abraham can be traced to Noah whose lineage goes back to Adam. Yes, there are many many other scriptures in the Old Testament which Jesus quoted from (Prophecy) which conclusively prove he is The Messiah, which I do believe in, but this lineage from Matthew conclusively showed me that The Bible in it's entirety is the absolute Word of God!
If Jesus' lineage can be traced back to Adam, how could a believer believe in Jesus the Christ if they make and believe in statements that "The Old Testament is not true, but just mainly stories for spiritual motivation?" I just can't believe this!
Way to keep on your toes by not letting the ignorance of some to get past you. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.