New Testament Greek

Zimfan

While I was bored and wasting time between posts tonight I found this site where you can learn Greek by reading the New Testament. I thought that was pretty cool. I'm gonna read it between posts whenever I'm wasting my life away on TOL from now on.

New Testament Greek Tutorial

Elaine

That's interesting, Zimfan. Christine's and my Greek course has us read Matthew out loud in Greek after we've learned the alphabet.

billwald

Unless you believe that you can learn to read Greek better than the experts we have available to us, you will be wasting your time.

Do you read and understand English better than the typical English prof?

Zimfan

Originally posted by billwald
Unless you believe that you can learn to read Greek better than the experts we have available to us, you will be wasting your time.

What, I have to learn something from an expert to learn it at all? Just think of all that time wasted learning to ride a bike, play hockey, and shoot without an expert around. Oh, if only Lance Armstrong, Wayne Gretztky, and Jerry Miculek were around then all that time wouldn't have been for naught!

Zimfan

I just don't like it when people imply that all the learning one does should be at school. One of my professors(who has a PHD) told me that those are generally the worst students. They may study hard and learn what they need to do well on tests, but they never become truly educated.

LightSon

Originally posted by Elaine
That's interesting, Zimfan. Christine's and my Greek course has us read Matthew out loud in Greek after we've learned the alphabet.

Ooooo. Cool.

Can you tell us about your Greek course? LIke who's teaching it, you Dad? What basic text are you using, etc?

We might do Greek next year with our kids.

Elaine

Originally posted by LightSon
Ooooo. Cool.
Can you tell us about your Greek course? LIke who's teaching it, you Dad? What basic text are you using, etc?
We might do Greek next year with our kids.
We use the course "Homeschool Greek" by the Bluedorn family. We also use their "New Testament Reader," and we used the "Greek Alphabetarion" for learning the alphabet. You can find them on this page. Dad does most of the teaching, since he knows Latin and Latin is very similar to Greek. He and Mom are trying to learn it as well.

LightSon

We use the course "Homeschool Greek" by the Bluedorn family. We also use their "New Testament Reader," and we used the "Greek Alphabetarion" for learning the alphabet. You can find them on this page. Dad does most of the teaching, since he knows Latin and Latin is very similar to Greek. He and Mom are trying to learn it as well.

Yowser, Elaine. Good stuff! :thumb:
Thanks.

Goose

Originally posted by billwald

Is it me, or did you just contradict yourself there.

Christine

I thought I would add a little about the curriculum we are using. It is recommended for ages twelve and up, but they say you can start learning the Greek alphabet right along with the English alphabet ( around 5). The course has a good deal of English grammar in it. It deals mainly with nouns, as the author is working on a second book for verbs.:)

Goose

Go get'em, Goose! :D You're welcome, Nineveh and LightSon.
Someone's just subconciously afraid that you'll learn Greek and you'll be able to show them up on bible matters. :cool: