Lucky8's pick 10-26-03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BChristianK
Lucky8,

You said:
I hear the phrase worship experience so often in modern praise type churches. It's all about the "worship experience." Like when buying high-tech sound boards they justify it by saying they're necessary for a good "worship experience." Let me just say right off the bat, I consider the "worship experience" philosophy to be misleading, to say the least.

I agree in totality here, the emphasis should never be about our experience it should always be on the glorification of God. Unfortunately, worship music, as well as many other dimensions of corporate worship, have become consumeristic. And many praise chorus’s reflect that consumerism. I have grown to appreciate a bit the Eastern Orthodox theology of worship, that when we worship we simply join creation, and the heavenly hosts in their continuous praise of God. It is not about the way I feel when I worship, though feeling ‘worshipful’ is a wonderful feeling, it is, as you suggest, done solely for God’s glory.

I also agree that some worship chorus’s are pretty lame, the goods ones are outnumbered by the lame ones, I agree; but I think when hymns were being written, the good ones were a bit hard to come by as well. The reason the great hymns of old stood the test of time, and made it into the hymnals, were because they were the good ones.

Grace and Peace,

Brian
:first:

CONTEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.