Battle Talk ~ BR XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn73

They both appear to be able to defend their position well but I'd like to see one question answered by them and maybe it will be or has been and I missed it. Since our prisons are already overcrowded, what are we supposed to do with murderers, just let them go? Evidently the government isn't interested in building more prisons. I'm for the death penalty.

truthteller86

T_V's position "appears" to be rooted more in emotion than scripture, however this is only round 1. As to forgiveness, we can not forgive someone that has not wronged us. Even if we forgive someone who did wrong us (after they repented of course), our individual act of forgiveness can NEVER trump God's love and mercy demonstrated in the swift and painful execution of capital criminals. The question T_V (and anyone else who opposes God's method of deterring crime) must think through is "WHY did God commanded the death penalty?" The answer of course is because He loves us. Same goes for restitution and corporal punishment (flogging).

Can't wait for round 2. Five rounds may not be enough to deflate all the common "Christian" arguments against the DP, but maybe we can :box: that out in Battle Talk...

...Off to re-watch God and the Death Penalty DVD now !

The Berean

Lynn73 said:
They both appear to be able to defend their position well but I'd like to see one question answered by them and maybe it will be or has been and I missed it. Since our prisons are already overcrowded, what are we supposed to do with murderers, just let them go? Evidently the government isn't interested in building more prisons. I'm for the death penalty.
The vast majority of immates in prisons are not convicted murderers.

truthteller86

I make an early motion that all pro-God posts in the BR_XI Battle Talk thread properly refer to Jail as "School for Criminals" or as abbreviated, SfC. :D

Last edited:

Primghar

BANNED
Banned
hitek357 said:
If Karla Faye Tucker is to be used as evidence, then Christianity supports conversion at sword point.

That doesn't make any sense. She came to Christ--that's the important thing! Theo's point was made regardless. No one would think accepting Christ would free them from the death penalty. Just because she became a Christian on death row does not mean Christianity supports conversion at sword point. No one forced her to become a Christian! Duh! :rolleyes:

Primghar

BANNED
Banned
Lynn73 said:

Were you trying to be funny? Because that is the dumbest thing I have read! Why would we kill people because of an overpopulation problem? Sounds like China to me!

hitek357

Pringhar said:
No one would think accepting Christ would free them from the death penalty.
Karla Faye Tucker did. SHE thought that accepting Christ should have freed her from the death penalty, you silly.
Primghar said:
Just because she became a Christian on death row does not mean Christianity supports conversion at sword point. No one forced her to become a Christian! Duh! :rolleyes:
I'll TRY to help you understand this: The sword point is her looming executing. The escape clause - at least in the minds of TheoVictus and Karla Faye Tucker - is her conversion. Not to convert means you die; to convert means you live. That's quite an incentive, WHETHER OR NOT IT IS EVER EXPLICITLY STATED THAT WAY.

boyce

hitek357 said:
The sword point is her looming executing. The escape clause - at least in the minds of TheoVictus and Karla Faye Tucker - is her conversion. Not to convert means you die; to convert means you live. That's quite an incentive, WHETHER OR NOT IT IS EVER EXPLICITLY STATED THAT WAY.

From what i understand, her actions during the trial were not in line with someone who was concerned about saving their life. Didn't she admit everything and brag about the murders to excess? Why the sudden change of heart? Also, are we really in a position to judge whose conversions are real and whose aren't?

Redfin

theo_victus said:
"Forgiveness is taking action of sin through Christ whose sacrifice condemns all sin effectively.”
(bolding by Redfin)

Okay, can anyone interpret this for me? Any guesses?

And, are the combatants allowed by the rules to comment here if they so desire?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i think he means that to be like christ is to forgive.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i wonder if this BR will be accessible to the pagans ...

On Fire

stipe said:
i think so ..

is this a misprint:

.you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stipe for stipe. Exodus 21:24-25

..??
Have you heard of this dude named Jesus?

On Fire

If your child punched another child in the face and knocked out his tooth, what would you do? If your neighbor scratched your car, what would you do? Some people read the passage of Scripture in Exodus 21:24 and in Deut. 25:11-12 and conclude that they should give back in kind. After all, doesn't the Bible say, "...eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.." etc??

It is easy to misunderstand this passage. The passage of Exodus 21:15-35 is not a passage for individual conduct. It is a passage for the government of Israel and its judges. It contains a statement of the principle of fairness and a limit on retaliation. In the Latin language it is called "lex tallionis" or the law of retaliation.

Jesus quoted it in the sermon on the mount because in His day it had also become misunderstood. People were applying it personally in their every day lives. Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, ‘Do not resist injuries (evil in KJV), but whoever strikes you on the right cheek turn to him the other as well’"

http://www.guardian-ministries.org/neye4eye.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.