a case against Enyart's "Nicer than God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Exactly what do you think they are right about, Imrahil? Some stuff of Bob's I accept, but some I reject. The main thing I reject is the Nicer than God article.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Edge said:
Exactly what do you think they are right about, Imrahil? Some stuff of Bob's I accept, but some I reject. The main thing I reject is the Nicer than God article.
I'm just curious why you disagree with the article because surely you don't think that Bob Enyart was saying that Christians should always use "insults, jibes, and mockeries" (Sorry for the Monkey Island reference) in every situation do you?

taoist

beanieboy said:
It is, actually.

If you are going to have a theology discussion board, you are going to have people with differing views. It shouldn't surprise anyone.

If you want to have a christians only board, which seems valid, make it that.
But don't claim to be an open forum, then get surprised when the "biker" shows up with a different POV.

And here I thought I was sacrificing depth for the cause of clarity. Okay, to all those who found it unclear regardless of depth, let me make it brutally obvious.

1. A biker finds a motorist next to his bike, where it was already parked ... gee, I thought that would make it clear the biker was analogous to TOL.

2. The motorist is surprised and threatened by the biker doing what he does naturally, mounting his bike ... analogy to visitors reaction to a website's webmaster following his pastor's teachings.

3. Biker tells motorist ... well, umm, gee golly ... don't post at TOL if you're not willing to deal with TOLers.

And there ya have it.

I once printed up a bunch of business cards with a buddy of mine sporting the slogan "Life is Fair" just to noodge the next person I heard saying "nobody told you life would be fair" ... a week later, a bike burned up underneath me; two weeks later, my apartment burned down taking out everything I owned except for a car and the clothes on my back ... the next day I burned the cards I still had in my wallet.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to mock the gods. Anybody looking to have this parable explained is gonna be waiting a long time. If you don't understand it, just move on while repeating to yourself, "Don't park next to any more bikers."

:cheers:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Edge said:
Yes! Rep slammed by both Turbo and Knight again! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):):):)
Trust me... I only rep slam you because you deserve it. :)

You may have one of the thickest skulls in TOL history.

Rimi

Knight said:

Respectfully, you should be bad repped for this statement because everybody knows that distinction belongs to Beanie. This isn't rocket surgery, you know.

Respectfully.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rimi said:
Respectfully, you should be bad repped for this statement because everybody knows that distinction belongs to Beanie. This isn't rocket surgery, you know.

Respectfully.

I gotta agree with Rimi on this one. Beanie would have to win that one but not by much and only because The Edge is not a homo.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:

I don't have a thick skull. I'm just not afraid to stand up and speak my mind. And there's scores of people here like me. They make themselves known in my reputation history. They are why I'm still in the green.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Hey everyone,
I haven't read the article this thread is about and I'd like to read it, can someone tell me where I can read it?

Kevin

SteveG.

Poly said:
So bascially what you're saying is we need to be Christlike and quit wasting responses on those that don't deserve it, like beanieboy.

I agree.

To hell with him! :thumb:

"To hell with him"? and a cutesy little icon of a smiley doing a thumbs up?
You really need to re-examine where you're coming from. That's evil and about as
un-Christlike as one can get.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SteveG. said:
"To hell with him"? and a cutesy little icon of a smiley doing a thumbs up?
You really need to re-examine where you're coming from. That's evil and about as
un-Christlike as one can get.
How so, SteveG?

Does God not send those who reject and rebel against Him to hell?

What do you think would be Christlike, to incessantly beg those who utterly hate Him to repent?

Maybe you think Christ was evil and un-Christlike as well:

[Jesus]And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city![/jesus] Mark 6:11

[jesus]Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.[/jesus] Matthew 7:6​

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
amazing....on this new board, I only posted about 10 tiimes, and already I got over 5000 reputaiton and like 12 green boxes under my name :)

Rimi

Turbo said:
Well, he did say "one of the thickest skulls..."

:doh: Great. He prolly bad repped me for missing two stinking words . . . . does it count that I said 'respectfully' twice??!! Like, an offset?

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Imrahil said:
I'm just curious why you disagree with the article because surely you don't think that Bob Enyart was saying that Christians should always use "insults, jibes, and mockeries" (Sorry for the Monkey Island reference) in every situation do you?
Because the Enyart followers are taking this teaching and running with it, thinking it's ok to act the way they do. Bob Enyart had a point, but the article did more damage than good.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Edge said:
Because the Enyart followers are taking this teaching and running with it, thinking it's ok to act the way they do. Bob Enyart had a point, but the article did more damage than good.
So do you disagree with the article or with how some people use it?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
amazing....on this new board, I only posted about 10 tiimes, and already I got over 5000 reputaiton and like 12 green boxes under my name :)

Do you really think this surprises anybody?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I thought Pastor Bob had some good points. Overall he's probably right, but I think he should be careful about generalizing too much.

One thought...some people criticize this letter by Bob because they believe he is advocating mockery/ridicule as a first resort. I do not think this is true. Bob certainly seems to condone it in some cases, but he isn't encouraging it all the time. People think that when Bob talks about "offending" people it must be because the offended person was mocked/ridiculed in some sharp way, but that isn't necessarily the case. I think the original poster mentioned this also but, the gospel itself can be offensive. You can present the gospel in a very unoffensive way but the unbeliever may still be offended because the gospel tells the person they are in sin and must repent and come to the saving grace of Jesus Christ. That can be offensive. So when people get the impression that Pastor Bob is meaning mockery everytime he talks about offending people I do not think that's true. He is saying to present the gospel as it should be presented and if someone is offended don't worry about it. Don't seek forgiveness for stepping on some toes.

I do question some of the verses he used though. Many of the verses he used for the OT was God mocking sinners and I personally think there is a difference between God mocking sinners and Christians doing it. I seem to be in the minority in that though. Yes Jesus used some harsh terms and maybe Paul used sarcasm in his letters in some cases, but I believe that people have taken it too far. I, for the most part, don't have a problem with Bob's letter, but I do think people have used it as a license to throw derogatory terms around to believers and unbelievers alike.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.