How Comprehensive are the Ten Commandments?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
"27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:27-28.

The Jews were astonished and amazed at the words of Jesus, He was saying not only to obey in actions, but also in your heart and mind was part of keeping the Ten Commandments. The law was not exclusively for the benefit of the Jews, but for Gods creation. God honored them by making them the guardians and keepers of His law, but it was to be held as a sacred custody or trust for the whole world.

The precepts of the Ten Commandments are adapted to all of us, and they were given for the instruction and government of all. The Ten Commandments cover the duty of man to God and to his fellow man; and all based upon the fundamental principle of love.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.” Luke 10:27.

The commandment “Thou shalt have no other gods before Me”, lays out that God is alone entitled to supreme reverence and worship. Man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service.

The commandment “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them” forbids the worship of God by images or similitudes. Many claim that their images are mere figures or symbols by which the Lord God was worshiped, but God has declared such worship to be sin.

It is connected to the next commandment, “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” But now it lays out the suffering from the consequences of the parents wrongdoing, but they are not punished for the parents’ guilt, except as they participate in their sins. However we see how today, children walk in the steps of their parents. Thus by inheritance and example the sons are transmitted the iniquity and become partakers of the father’s sin.

The commandment, “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain”, prohibits not only false oaths that men may use to trick other men, but it forbids us to use the name of God in a light or careless manner, without regard to its great significance.

Now here is the commandment that many have forgotten, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it” or disregard altogether. The Sabbath is not introduced as a new institution of worship but as having been founded at creation, so it is to be remembered and observed as the memorial of the Creator’s work.

This commandment, “Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee”, seems to be one of the easiest ones and yet we see today people breaking almost in every form. God basically sets forth that children not only to give respect, submission, and obedience to their parents, but also to give them love and tenderness, to lighten their cares, to guard their reputation, and comfort them in old age.

The commandment, “Thou shalt not kill”, is not just not to murder, but covers the spirit of hatred and revenge, or the indulgence of any passion that leads to hateful acts toward others, or causes us even to wish them harm.

The commandment “Thou shalt not commit adultery” forbids not only acts of impurity, but sensual thoughts and desires, or any practice that tends to excite them.

The commandment, “Thou shalt not steal” is not only that known in public but private sins are included in this prohibition. It demands strict integrity in all aspects such as trade, debts or wages.

The commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor", protects us all against the commitment of false accusations or unjust lawsuits.

The last commandment, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's", is one of the most prevalent sins today as we see almost anything possible advertised with the intent to make us covet and desire, things we may not even need, and many fall into sin just to acquire them.

The Ten Commandments are much more comprehensive than one might think....

Bradley D

Very good. I find the 4th Commandment on the sabbath interesting. Jesus had some arguments with the pharisees on that. Jesus healing on the sabbath and His disciples picking grain to eat on the sabbath. Jesus told them "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.." (Mark 2:27). Jesus said even the priests break the sabbath doing their duties at the temple. I believe the idea was a day of rest for human beings. God realized that people needed to have rest.

When I was in the Navy. When at sea we were on duty. But Sunday even when at the shop we took an easy on that day.

Gary K

How comprehensive are the 10 commandments? The principles contained in them can be applied to every situation in life. They are the perfect set of laws. They are easily understood by everyone. Even a child can understand them. They are of broad general application. They apply to everyone. When applied they eliminate the rule of men by instituting the rule of law which is eminently just.

Right Divider

Body part
How comprehensive are the 10 commandments? The principles contained in them can be applied to every situation in life. They are the perfect set of laws. They are easily understood by everyone. Even a child can understand them. They are of broad general application. They apply to everyone. When applied they eliminate the rule of men by instituting the rule of law which is eminently just.

Exo 31:12-18 KJV And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, (13) Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. (14) Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. (15) Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. (16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. (17) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. (18) And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Do you believe that this commandment applies to all peoples at all times and in "every situation in life"?

P.S. It's these sorts of things that make many "Christians" claim that "we" (the body of Christ) are "spiritual" Israel. :juggle:

Gary K

Exo 31:12-18 KJV And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, (13) Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. (14) Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. (15) Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. (16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. (17) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. (18) And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Do you believe that this commandment applies to all peoples at all times and in "every situation in life"?

P.S. It's these sorts of things that make many "Christians" claim that "we" (the body of Christ) are "spiritual" Israel. :juggle:

Yes. Keeping the fourth commandment is sign of who is responsible for our sanctification: the bringing of the human heart into alignment with God.

Ezekiel 20: 12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God.

Exodus 31:12And the Lord said to Moses,
[SIZE=+0]13[/SIZE] “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you.

Galatians 5: [SIZE=+0]16[/SIZE]This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
[SIZE=+0]17[/SIZE] For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
[SIZE=+0]18[/SIZE] But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
[SIZE=+0]19[/SIZE] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
[SIZE=+0]20[/SIZE] Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
[SIZE=+0]21[/SIZE] Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
[SIZE=+0]22[/SIZE] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
[SIZE=+0]23[/SIZE] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
[SIZE=+0]24[/SIZE] And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
[SIZE=+0]25[/SIZE] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

[SIZE=+0]2Corinthians 3:3[/SIZE]Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

It is our relationship with God that informs our hearts as to what is right and what is wrong. Therefore the 4th commandment is applicable to all parts of our life for it is the sign of our relationship with God which is the part of our life that sets the tone of our choices in all moral aspects of life. And as the fruit of the spirit is in violation of no law we are then living in compliance with, obeying, the 10 commandments.

What did Paul say about who was a real Jew? Those who keep the law of God for they have had their hearts circumcised.

Romans 2:[SIZE=+0]23[/SIZE] Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
[SIZE=+0]24[/SIZE] For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
[SIZE=+0]25[/SIZE] For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
[SIZE=+0]26[/SIZE] Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
[SIZE=+0]27[/SIZE] And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
[SIZE=+0]28 [/SIZE]For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
[SIZE=+0]29[/SIZE] But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Colossians 2: 8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
[SIZE=+0]9[/SIZE] For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
[SIZE=+0]10[/SIZE] And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
[SIZE=+0]11[/SIZE] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

This is the fulfillment of the promise of God to the Israelites that He would circumcise their hearts for that is the circumcision made without hands.

Deuteronomy 30: [SIZE=+0]6 [/SIZE]And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

The requirement of a new birth is not something that didn't apply to the Isrealites/Jews. The symbology of circumcision was always a reference to the new birth. Jesus condemned Nicodemus because he didn't understand the necessity of the new birth and the only scripture Nicodemus could study was the OT. And what does the new birth symbolize? Loving God with all our hearts. There is no difference. It's like Paul said, there is no difference in Christ for there is neither Jew nor Greek in Him. He has broken down the middle wall of partition as that partition was of man's making, not Gods. This was known to the Jews for Isaiah wrote that God's house was to be a house for all people. The Israelites/Jews just didn't live up to what God wanted them to accomplish.

Gary K

So you completely ignore that scripture and just forge ahead with your theory anyway?

Since ignoring things seems to be the thing, I ignored the rest of your post.

LOL. I didn't ignore it I addressed the entire argument your post made.

But, just to make you happy.... Just where does Exodus 31:12-18 say that the Sabbath was exclusive to the Jews. Yes, God was addressing His people, but where does the Bible say that only the Isrealites were to be His people.

Here's another couple of laws from the OT that demonstrate that when God was speaking to the Israelites He meant his words to be applied to Gentiles too.

Exodus 12: [SIZE=+0]48[/SIZE] And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
[SIZE=+0]49[/SIZE]One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.
[SIZE=+0]50[/SIZE] Thus did all the children of Israel; as the Lord commanded Moses and Aaron, so did they.

Leviticus 24: [SIZE=+0]22 [/SIZE]Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the Lord your God.

Numbers 15: [SIZE=+0]13[/SIZE] All that are born of the country shall do these things after this manner, in offering an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord.
[SIZE=+0]14[/SIZE] And if a stranger sojourn with you, or whosoever be among you in your generations, and will offer an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord; as ye do, so he shall do.
[SIZE=+0]15[/SIZE] One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the Lord.
[SIZE=+0]16[/SIZE] One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Numbers 15: [SIZE=+0]28[/SIZE] And the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, when he sinneth by ignorance before the Lord, to make an atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him.
[SIZE=+0]29[/SIZE]Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.
[SIZE=+0]30[/SIZE]But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people

Deuteronomy 31:[SIZE=+0]10[/SIZE] And Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release, in the feast of tabernacles,
[SIZE=+0]11[/SIZE] When all Israel is come to appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose, thou shalt read this law before all Israel in their hearing.
[SIZE=+0]12[/SIZE]Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the Lord your God, and observe to do all the words of this law:
[SIZE=+0]13[/SIZE] And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the Lord
your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.

Therefore God's laws applied to the "strangers", or in other words, the Gentiles as well as the Israelites for God Himself said there was to be only one law for Isrealite and Gentile alike. And He repeated that multiple times. God also said, in the 4th commandment itself that it applied to the "stranger within they gates". In other words those living with, working for, etc... the Isrealites were to keep the Sabbath too.

God repeats the above too.
Exodus 23: [SIZE=+0]12[/SIZE]Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine *** may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.

Leviticus 16: [SIZE=+0]29[/SIZE] ¶And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:

Leviticus 25: [SIZE=+0]35[/SIZE] ¶And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.
[SIZE=+0]36[/SIZE] Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee.

Numbers 9:[SIZE=+0]14[/SIZE] And if a stranger shall sojourn among you, and will keep the passover unto the Lord; according to the ordinance of the passover, and according to the manner thereof, so shall he do: ye shall have one ordinance, both for the stranger, and for him that was born in the land.

[SIZE=+0]Numbers 35:14[/SIZE] Ye shall give three cities on this side Jordan, and three cities shall ye give in the land of Canaan, which shall be cities of refuge.
[SIZE=+0]15[/SIZE] These six cities shall be a refuge, both for the children of Israel, and for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them: that every one that killeth any person unawares may flee thither.

Here is part of Solomon's prayer at the dedication of the temple he had built. Notice that he includes the gentiles, i.e. strangers coming there to worship and asks God to answer their prayers and accept their worship too.

2Kings 8:[SIZE=+0]38[/SIZE] What prayer and supplication soever be made by any man, or by all thy people Israel, which shall know every man the plague of his own heart, and spread forth his hands toward this house:
[SIZE=+0]39[/SIZE] Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men;)
[SIZE=+0]40[/SIZE] That they may fear thee all the days that they live in the land which thou gavest unto our fathers.
[SIZE=+0]41[/SIZE] Moreover concerning a stranger, that is not of thy people Israel, but cometh out of a far country for thy name’s sake;
[SIZE=+0]42[/SIZE] (For they shall hear of thy great name, and of thy strong hand, and of thy stretched out arm;) when he shall come and pray toward this house;
[SIZE=+0]43[/SIZE] Hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear thee, as do thy people Israel; and that they may know that this house, which I have builded, is called by thy name.*n12

I simply do not understand this artificial wall erected between Jew and Gentile. That was never in God's plan. His plan was always that the Gentile would worship Him right alongside the Jew. If these aren't enough texts to make my point I can give you a bunch more that say the exact same things.

Right Divider

Body part
LOL. I didn't ignore it I addressed the entire argument your post made.
LOL, no you did not.

The seventh day sabbath was specifically given to a certain people. It was not a universal commandment for all people at all times.

But, just to make you happy.... Just where does Exodus 31:12-18 say that the Sabbath was exclusive to the Jews. Yes, God was addressing His people, but where does the Bible say that only the Isrealites were to be His people.
God separated Israel from the other nations. That you cannot understand that is something that you will need to deal with yourself.

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Very good. I find the 4th Commandment on the sabbath interesting. Jesus had some arguments with the pharisees on that. Jesus healing on the sabbath and His disciples picking grain to eat on the sabbath. Jesus told them "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.." (Mark 2:27). Jesus said even the priests break the sabbath doing their duties at the temple. I believe the idea was a day of rest for human beings. God realized that people needed to have rest.

When I was in the Navy. When at sea we were on duty. But Sunday even when at the shop we took an easy on that day.
That is a excellent verse to start with..
Mark 2:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

"27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."

Christ observed the Sabbath and He set an example for us to follow:

Luke 4:16 King James Version (KJV)

"16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read."

Jesus followed the "custom" of going to the synagogue each Sabbath, and nowhere does scripture have anything contesting this. The practice of observing the first day of the week as Sabbath has no sanction either in Christ or in the New Testament.

Luke 4:17 King James Version (KJV)

"17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,"

The Sabbath was not only for going to church in order to worship but also to hear God’s Word. Christ also did even more:

Luke 4:31-41 King James Version (KJV)

31 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.
32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
33 And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,
34 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.
35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not.
36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.
37 And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.
38 And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her.
39 And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them.
40 Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
41 And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ."

On the Sabbath day we find Christ in His mission to teach, to relieve the oppressed, to heal every kind of disease, and to restore those who are brokenhearted and without hope. We also find something else Christ handled on this Sabbath day, a demon-possessed man confronted Jesus with what amounted to a confession: " ‘Let us alone! . . . You, Jesus of Nazareth. . . . I know who You are—the Holy One of God!’ and later others cried out, "Thou art Christ the Son of God." He argue or engage, but rebuked the evil angels just as He rebuked the Devil himself.

TrevorL

Greetings Hobie,
How Comprehensive are the Ten Commandments?
I suggest that the title of your thread is misleading, as The Ten Commandments were part of the Mosaic Law, the Old Covenant. Under the Law these Ten Commandments were comprehensive and thus a man who gathered sticks upon the Sabbath was put to death:
Numbers 15:32–36 (KJV): 32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. 33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. 34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. 36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.
Those who committed murder or adultery were also put to death.

Those who coveted also broke the Law and Paul considers the failure of this Law to produce righteousness and obedience:
Romans 7:7–11 (ASV 1901): 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through the law: for I had not known coveting, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet: 8 but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of coveting: for apart from the law sin is dead. 9 And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; 10 and the commandment, which was unto life, this I found to be unto death: 11 for sin, finding occasion, through the commandment beguiled me, and through it slew me.

Thus Paul describes the Ten Commandments as the ministration of death:
2 Corinthians 3:7–8 (KJV): 7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

Jesus in the New Covenant introduces new more comprehensive teaching and a new more comprehensive way of life, different to the mindset of obedience to the Law:
Matthew 5:21–22 (KJV): 21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Not only does Jesus give the new more comprehensive instructions in verse 22, but his instruction is from verse 22-26. These were not part of The Law of Moses.

The instruction of Jesus to the rich young ruler who had a Law-keeping mindset was:
Mark 10:20–22 (KJV): 20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
Now here is the commandment that many have forgotten, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it” or disregard altogether. The Sabbath is not introduced as a new institution of worship but as having been founded at creation, so it is to be remembered and observed as the memorial of the Creator’s work.
We are not under the Sabbath Law as we find the True Rest in Christ.
Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Kind regards
Trevor

Gary K

LOL, no you did not.

The seventh day sabbath was specifically given to a certain people. It was not a universal commandment for all people at all times.

God separated Israel from the other nations. That you cannot understand that is something that you will need to deal with yourself.

Unbelievable. You're displaying your ignorance of scripture.

Here is your initial question to me.

I answered yes. Then I explained why the 4th commandment is applicable to all people at all times and in "every situation in life". And you keep on insisting I never answered your question.

For your information the Sabbath existed long before there was ever an Israelite or Jew. It has existed here on earth since the 7th day of creation. It was the final act of creation in the creation week as God created it by resting on the 7th day and hallowing it.

Genesis 2: [SIZE=+0]1[/SIZE] Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [SIZE=+0]2[/SIZE] And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. [SIZE=+0]3[/SIZE] So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation. ESV

Jesus confirms this. As He is our creator He knows who he created for and he said, humanity.
Mark 2: [SIZE=+0]27[/SIZE] And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
[SIZE=+0]28[/SIZE] Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

According to Strong's concordance the Greek word for man in the above passage of scripture refers to all men, Jew and Gentile alike. It means human beings.

[*StrongsGreek*]
00444G444 ἄνθρωπος anthrōpos anth'-ro-pos
From G435 and ὤψ ōps (the countenance; from G3700);
manfaced that is a human being

Your fixation on the idea that as God happened to be speaking to the group of people He desired to spread the knowledge of Him across the earth means that His law was meant ONLY for that group is inexplicable to me. I've shown time and time again that the laws of Israel were intended by God not to apply to them only, but to apply to anyone who who lived among them and/or desired to join them in worship. In fact, there were Gentiles at the speaking of the 10 commandments at Sinai for Moses tells us that there was a "mixed multitude" that joined themselves to the Israelites when they left Egypt and that group was still with them after they had left Sinai. Numbers 10:11 and Numbers 11:4

Right Divider

Body part
Unbelievable. You're displaying your ignorance of scripture.
Lie.

Here is your initial question to me.

I answered yes. Then I explained why the 4th commandment is applicable to all people at all times and in "every situation in life". And you keep on insisting I never answered your question.
You gave your lengthy opinion... you ignored the scripture that specifies the target audience involved...the children of Israel.

For your information the Sabbath existed long before there was ever an Israelite or Jew. It has existed here on earth since the 7th day of creation. It was the final act of creation in the creation week as God created it by resting on the 7th day and hallowing it.
Wow... how incredibly insightful... NOT.

Jesus confirms this. As He is our creator He knows who he created for and he said, humanity.

According to Strong's concordance the Greek word for man in the above passage of scripture refers to all men, Jew and Gentile alike. It means human beings.

Your fixation on the idea that as God happened to be speaking to the group of people He desired to spread the knowledge of Him across the earth means that His law was meant ONLY for that group is inexplicable to me. I've shown time and time again that the laws of Israel were intended by God not to apply to them only, but to apply to anyone who who lived among them and/or desired to join them in worship. In fact, there were Gentiles at the speaking of the 10 commandments at Sinai for Moses tells us that there was a "mixed multitude" that joined themselves to the Israelites when they left Egypt and that group was still with them after they had left Sinai. Numbers 10:11 and Numbers 11:4
I just allow the scripture to be true... whereas you need to apply your religious philosophy to it.

The Bible says that the 7th sabbath law was given to Israel and their descendants. The Bible also says that the body of Christ is not under the law. Why do you argue with the Bible?

Gary K

Lie.

You gave your lengthy opinion... you ignored the scripture that specifies the target audience involved...the children of Israel.

Wow... how incredibly insightful... NOT.

I just allow the scripture to be true... whereas you need to apply your religious philosophy to it.

The Bible says that the 7th sabbath law was given to Israel and their descendants. The Bible also says that the body of Christ is not under the law. Why do you argue with the Bible?

I do owe you an apology for I used the wrong word to describe your knowledge of scripture. It's not ignorant as that doesn't really describe what I think. Misunderstanding is a much more accurate way of describing how I view your ideas of scripture.

Interesting that you deny the plain reading of Genesis 2:1-3 and Mark 2:27 and 28 while claiming that I deny scripture. I don't deny scripture, I just deny your interpretation of it.

I wonder if there is any scriptural evidence that God told the Israelites that the laws He had given them would draw the nations of the world to them, if they followed His laws. Well, I really don't wonder about that because I know there is.

Deuteronomy 4[SIZE=+0]:5 [/SIZE]See, I have taught you statutes and rules, as the Lord my God commanded me, that you should do them in the land that you are entering to take possession of it. 6 Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’ [SIZE=+0]7[/SIZE] For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as the Lord our God is to us, whenever we call upon him? [SIZE=+0]8[/SIZE] And what great nation is there, that has statutes and rules so righteous as all this law that I set before you today?

So, did God give the Israelites His laws to share them with the world and teach the world about Him? Yup. The Bible tells us that explicitly.

Here is a verse that most people of your persuasion use to support their ideas that Jesus came to put an end to the law.

Romans 2: For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

There is a problem with that understanding for the word end also means the point aimed at, the purpose of. That definition agrees with Strong's Concordance. In other words the 10 commandments point us to our need of Jesus.

5056G5056 τέλος telos tel'-os
From a primary word τέλλω tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly the point aimed at as a limit that is (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally figuratively or indefinitely] result [immediate ultimate or prophetic] purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual custom end (-ing) finally uttermost. Compare G5411

Now I don't know about you but sin still lives in me. I sin, not intentionally, but that doesn't matter. I still sin and need to be reminded by the law just how much I need Jesus. The 10 commandments point out just how far away I am from being like Jesus. They point me to Him by pointing out my inestimable need of Him. The 10 commandments cannot save us, but they play a role in our salvation by pointing out our constant need of Jesus. Like Paul said, I have to die daily.