Is Enyart worshipped like Jesus

Caille

beanieboy said:
I meditatied on this, and kept returning to one huge example.

Here is Romans 12:

1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to reach a measure of faith.
4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,
5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;
7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching;
8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
9Let love be without hypocrisy Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
11not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,
13contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly Do not be wise in your own estimation.
17Never pay back evil for evil to anyone Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
18If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
19Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
20"BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Now, this verse talks about return curse with blessing, overcoming evil with good, of feeding your enemy.

And the Enyartite take on this?
12:9 9Let love be without hypocrisy Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
Therefore, hate evil people.

Of the entire passage, this is isolated, then taken out of context. One should abhor what is evil - namely - cursing people, harming people, and that is why the passage goes on and on about loving your enemy not by cursing them, but by returning their foul language with blessing and kindness, of feeding your enemy, of not repaying evil with evil. That is the "evil" that Paul is speaking of.

And the Enyartite response? Hate people.

That is simply false teaching.

But Beanie, it does reach an audience, and Bob is in the entertainment industry... :think:

JoyfulRook

Poly said:
Ok, Enyartians, it's time for our morning ritual. Repeat after me....

Oh hail thou Enyart, O mighty talketh showeth hosteth.
Thou exposeth all the stupideth peasants.
For thou hath been greatly sprinkledeth
with the supremacy of holy smacketh.

We offer up to you all our Earthly possessions
As well as our first born sons.
And we will continue to call upon the Great Enyart
Lest you smite us with the holy smacketh upsideth the headeth.

*Poly now goes to to prepare incense for Holy Enyart*
:bow:Almighty Enyart! I have sinned! I missed yesterday's smiting! Do I get smiteth upside the headeth? :bow:​

Caille

Poly said:
Ok, Enyartians, it's time for our morning ritual. Repeat after me....

Oh hail thou Enyart, O mighty talketh showeth hosteth.
Thou exposeth all the stupideth peasants.
For thou hath been greatly sprinkledeth
with the supremacy of holy smacketh.

We offer up to you all our Earthly possessions
As well as our first born sons.
And we will continue to call upon the Great Enyart
Lest you smite us with the holy smacketh upsideth the headeth.

*Poly now goes to to prepare incense for Holy Enyart*

You know Poly, that'd be pretty funny if not for the scary images of white robe-clad supplicants bowing before him :shocked:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caille said:
But Beanie, it does reach an audience, and Bob is in the entertainment industry... :think:
But he is also a Christian pastor with an entirely different set of responsibilities (hopefully) than a radio show host.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
But he is also a Christian pastor with an entirely different set of responsibilities (hopefully) than a radio show host.

Yeah, and being Yartman and fighting people like Pat Schroeder take time as well.

beanieboy

Is it a sin to lead believers astray?
Can one follow a teacher so much that they no longer follow Christ?
Should one listen to someone who takes a passage like Romans, and then misinterprets it in a glaringly obvious way?
Can a teacher claim to be teaching the Bible, but change it so drastically, that they actually give the opposite meaning of what it was saying, as I pointing out in Romans?

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Shimei said:
Yeah, and being Yartman and fighting people like Pat Schroeder take time as well.
I know who Schroeder is, but "Yartman"? Does he have a cool costume? :chuckle:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Shimei said:
It was standard superhero issued I think.
Ahh, perhaps one of the more graphically inclined could post an image file of St. Bob the Broadcaster as "Yartman". :BRAVO:

Caille

Zakath said:

But like any businessman, his main responsibility would be the survival of the business. That takes cash. His type of business (entertainment) thrives on controversy. That's why I don't respect him any more than, say, Howard Stern. They're both shrewd businessmen trying to succeed.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caille said:
But like any businessman, his main responsibility would be the survival of the business. That takes cash. His type of business (entertainment) thrives on controversy. That's why I don't respect him any more than, say, Howard Stern. They're both shrewd businessmen trying to succeed.
Of course. I find it difficult to reconcile the two positions (businessman and pastor) in a single person. Both are more than full-time jobs.

Caille

Zakath said:
Ahh, perhaps one of the more graphically inclined could post an image file of St. Bob the Broadcaster as "Yartman". :BRAVO:

Would that be the old file photo from his TV days that accompanies his posts on TOL, or the modern look?

(you know - young Elvis or Vegas, bloated Elvis)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caille said:
Would that be the old file photo from his TV days that accompanies his posts on TOL, or the modern look?

(you know - young Elvis or Vegas, bloated Elvis)
Ewww. That doesn't sound good at all. :chuckle:

But in the spirit of full disclosure, perhaps the modern look, maybe with a bit of airbrushing to hide wrinkles... :)

Caille

Zakath said:
Of course. I find it difficult to reconcile the two positions (businessman and pastor) in a single person. Both are more than full-time jobs.

Maybe that's why he's so rabidly defended by his disciples. Their main impression of him is "Pastor Bob", the godly man. My main impression of him, available through the media, is "St. Bob the Broadcaster", the controversial freak show promoter.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caille said:
Maybe that's why he's so rabidly defended by his disciples. Their main impression of him is "Pastor Bob", the godly man. My main impression of him, available through the media, is "St. Bob the Broadcaster", the controversial freak show promoter.
So you're suggesting we could have a "Three Faces of Eve" type of thing going on here, eh? ;)

taoist

Lighthouse said:
What exactly is that punishment?

Is it criminal to skip church? It's criminal to actively engage in homosexual sexual activity.
Now, there, lad, what part of "no hints" needs expanding upon?

Yes, indeed, skipping church was regarded as criminal in Leviticus. The punishment is right there in the bible, sitting next to a number of other punishments considered evidence of barbarism today, like punishing a man's great^100 grandchildren. Tribal punishments. Homosexuality naturally leads to a lower birthrate, and there is no greater threat to a tribal society whose only safety is in numbers. Even the most primitive, pre-numerate society can learn, by necessity, the art of counting heads on opposing armies as they go forth to ravage the cities of their fellow humans by the score.

Just because it's in the bible doesn't make it right. There's such a thing as ethical behavior for our contemporary society and Leviticus doesn't fit the bill. Nowadays, we frown on priestly injunctions made in the name of a tribal god to go out and conquer territory, securing it by "killing all that breathes."

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

I'm free to scoff at stories of destruction hurled down on humankind from the god or gods of the heavens; free to keep right on trying to understand and tame the wilderness on my own, without resort to real or ritualistic animal or human sacrifices done to appease some blood-thirsty titan. Personally, I'm pleased to be living in 2000 CE as opposed to 2000 BCE. I don't have to bow down to pagan gods or tribal gods or any other primitive superstitions. Well, unless I decide to run for office anyway.

I like that Jesus dude. From what I can make out from what's left of his sayings, he made a lot of sense. But don't get stuck on those delightful parables so much that you miss what he said clearly. What he can do his followers can do as well. He was and, so long as his memory lasts, will always be a "son of man."

And I'm proud to be part of the race that spawned him, and more than slightly annoyed by my fellows separating themselves from him by insisting he was a god. Yes, I know, it was necessary at the time to keep from being one-upped by every other near eastern ruler with a claim to divinity from the pharoahs to Augustus. Too bad he died so young, and before he'd learned the need to write down his own words to keep them from being "interpreted" by a new priestly class.

But it always was a bad idea to piss off the Romans. They got even and took over the priestly class responsible for "interpretation." You can control your gods only so long as you get to tell everyone else what they said. How much simpler after they're dead.

In peace, Jesse

Johnny

If that didn't show you the error of your ways, or make you consider that you might need to rethink your position, then that is your problem, not mine.
There are other ways to make someone rethink their position. One good way is to have a good point. That kind of reverts back to Law 1, if you're calling names, it's probably because you don't have a good point.

And if you think that I actually beleive your brain was sucked out, you're dumber than I thought.
I know you don't believe that. Jesus knew that the people he called serpents and hypocrites were truely what he called them. There was no jesting in Jesus' words. He wasn't throwing around meaningless words just to insult as you do. He was stating what they were. He knew their hearts.
It goes for the entire thing.
No it doesn't, it's just convenient for you to claim that it does. Read it again. Then read any commentary on the passage. Stop twisting the passage.

Sins is wicked, and stigmatizing wickedness is accomplished in mocking wickedness. Jesus did it, and I am His. I have the mind of Christ
Lighthouse, you're not mocking wickedness when you call someone a dumbass. You're mocking someone's person, ego, and intelligence. And you're not stigmatizing anything, other than perhaps Christianity for the unsaved. What you claim is righteous mocking is simply the result of your loose tounge and prideful attitude, which is why you only resort to mocking when you're severely down in an argument.