Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Don't Tell Kids Thomas Jefferson was a Godly Man

Friday July 28th, 2006. This is show #150.

SUMMARY:

* Jefferson Hated Jesus Christ: Jefferson considered the Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as "feeble minds" and "groveling authors." For his condensed version of Scripture, called The Jefferson Bible, he rejected that Jesus is God, our Creator and Lord, and Jefferson omitted all miracles, and all teaching that Christ was crucified for our sins, and resurrected for our salvation. Jefferson said he easily separated the good scripture from bad, "as distinguishable as diamonds in a dunghill." Jefferson remade God in Man’s image. Specifically, he tried to remake God in the image of Thomas Jefferson, and he described the Bible passages he omitted as "so much absurdity, so much untruth, [and] charlatanism," and that the Gospels were full of "vulgar ignorance… of superstitions… and fabrications."
* David from Boone Iowa: agreed about Jefferson being godless; and then asked about alternative forms of government.
Today's Resource: Read Bob's full-length novel, The First Five Days, that describes in riveting detail what a truly Christian government would do in it's first days in power. This novel cannot be ordered online, but is available by calling 800-8Enyart, or by send $19.95 to Bob Enyart Live, PO Box 583, Arvada CO 80001.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Is this new to anybody? The stuff about Jefferson, I mean.
It should certainly be new to the David Barton crowd. And if it isn't new to them, then they better fess up to years of rewritten history.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
I've heard some of it but if you listen to the show it is shocking how anti-Christian Jefferson was.
He's in Hell.

drbrumley

The character of Jefferson's religion is one of the most interesting aspects of his intriguing life. Certain evangelicals, who were also his political opponents, tried very hard to make Jefferson's religion a factor in elections. They filled the press with scurrilous attacks on his "deistical" beliefs. He made it his steadfast policy never to respond to any of these attacks or, indeed, to make any public statement at all concerning his faith. Ironically, in spite of the attacks, evangelicals flocked to support Jefferson because they favored the end of tax support for established churches—which meant freedom for their independent churches—as passionately as did he. Today religious conservatives portray Jefferson as a sympathetic figure, unaware of his religious beliefs, his understanding of religious freedom or his criticisms of evangelical religiosity.

These facts about Jefferson's religion are known. He was raised as an Anglican and always maintained some affiliation with the Anglican Church. He was also known to contribute financially, in fair proportion, to every denomination in his town. While a student at William and Mary College, he began to read the Scottish moral philosophers and other authors who had made themselves students of church history. These scholars opened the door for Jefferson's informed criticism of prevailing religious institutions and beliefs. But it was the world renowned English Unitarian minister and scientist, Joseph Priestley, who had the most profound impact on his thought. According to Priestley's Corruptions of Christianity, published in 1782, and many other of his books, the teachings of Jesus and his human character were obscured and obfuscated in the early Christian centuries. As the Church Fathers adapted Christianity to Mediterranean-primarily Greek-forms of thought, they contrived doctrines altogether foreign to Biblical thought, such as the doctrine of the Trinity. Jefferson assumed that a thoroughly reformed Christian faith, true to Jesus' teaching, would be purged of all Greek influence and doctrinal absurdity.

Jefferson never joined a Unitarian church. He did attend Unitarian services while visiting with Joseph Priestley after his immigration to Pennsylvania and spoke highly of those services. He corresponded on religious matters with numerous Unitarians, among them Jared Sparks (Unitarian minister, historian and president of Harvard), Thomas Cooper, Benjamin Waterhouse and John Adams. He was perhaps most open concerning his own beliefs in his long exchange of letters with John Adams during their late years, 1812-26.

It is probably safe to say that Jefferson first acquired from Joseph Priestley features of his world view and faith which he found confirmed to his satisfaction by further thought and study for the rest of his life. These included a withering a scorn for Platonic and all forms of Neoplatonic metaphysics; a fierce loathing of all "priestcraft" whose practitioners he held guilty of deliberately perpetrating rank superstition for centuries, thus maintaining their own power; a serene conviction that Jesus' moral teaching was entirely compatible with natural law as it may be inferred from the sciences; and a unitarian view of Jesus. These features are all well attested in his voluminous private correspondence.

Jefferson's earliest writings on religion exhibit a natural theology, a heavy reliance on reason, and the belief that morality comes not from special revelation but from careful attention to the inward moral sense. In a letter to his nephew Peter Carr in 1787, Jefferson advised, "Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god."

He considered Jesus the teacher of a sublime and flawless ethic. Writing in 1803 to the Universalist physician Benjamin Rush, Jefferson wrote, "To the corruptions of Christianity, I am indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence, and believing he never claimed any other."

Jefferson found the Unitarian understanding of Jesus compatible with his own. In 1822 he predicted that "there is not a young man now living in the US who will not die an Unitarian." Jefferson requested that a Unitarian minister be dispatched to his area of Virginia. "Missionaries from Cambridge [that is: Harvard Divinity School] would soon be greeted with more welcome, than from the tritheistical school of Andover." Jefferson's christology is apparent in these and similar letters, and also in one of his most famous writings, the "Jefferson Bible."

Of immense appeal is the image of President Jefferson, up late at night in his study at the White House, using a razor to cut out large segments of the four Gospels and pasting the parts he decided to keep onto the pages of a blank book, purchased to receive them. This original project of 1804, which he titled "The Philosophy of Jesus," he refined and greatly expanded in his later years. The final product, completed in 1820, he called the "Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth," which was the version Congress published. Jefferson's "Life and Morals" argues no theology. It is simply his edited version of the Gospels. He literally cut out the virgin birth, miracle stories, claims to Jesus' divinity and the resurrection. Some scholars believe he first assembled his collage of Jesus' teachings for his own devotional use. A late reference to the "Indians" who could benefit from reading it, was likely directed at those public figures, often Christian ministers, who had viciously attacked his religious beliefs without in the least understanding them or—as Jefferson believed—Jesus.

truthteller86

I live 30 minutes from Jefferson City, MO (that's the State Capitol for you recovering public school students). Needless to say, TJ is glorified in this State. But we glorify so many godless people, it's no shock to me. The government run schools make heroes our of anyone that opposes Biblical Christianity. If you want a political hero to model for your kids, try Patrick Henry.

drbrumley

truthteller86 said:
I live 30 minutes from Jefferson City, MO (that's the State Capitol for you recovering public school students). Needless to say, TJ is glorified in this State. But we glorify so many godless people, it's no shock to me. The government run schools make heroes our of anyone that opposes Biblical Christianity. If you want a political hero to model for your kids, try Patrick Henry.
Agreed! TJ as a great politician, but there are too many holes that need to be filled with him. Henry was also a great politcian who had way less holes to fill. Good choice!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have to ask though, who cares? I didn't realize that many parents were telling their children Jefferson was a godly man. What prompted Bob to talk about it?

I can't count the times I've heard people say that america was founded by christians, and that all the founding fathers were christians. They don't specifically say that TJ was a christian, but it's assumed. And TJ's opinions aren't news to me either.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
drbrumley said:
The character of Jefferson's religion is one of the most interesting aspects of his intriguing life. Certain evangelicals, who were also his political opponents, tried very hard to make Jefferson's religion a factor in elections. They filled the press with scurrilous attacks on his "deistical" beliefs. He made it his steadfast policy never to respond to any of these attacks or, indeed, to make any public statement at all concerning his faith. Iof Jesus' teachings for his own devotional use. A late reference to the "Indians" who could benefit from reading it, was likely directed at those public figures, often Christian ministers, who had viciously attacked his religious beliefs without in the least understanding them or—as Jefferson believed—Jesus.

Shouldn't you credit the source who wrote that?
Did you listen to Bob's show?

drbrumley

CRASH said:
Did you listen to Bob's show?
Not as of yet. I will soon enough!

As for crediting sources, everyone here knows I copy and paste quite a bit. If they want to know it is a copy, then copy a sentence or two and google.

Adam

Hall of Fame
kmoney,

Like I said, just pay attention to David Barton and his crowd. They are the Wallbuilders and are famous for their "America's Godly Heritage" video and related merchandise.

Also, take a look at Bill Gothard's group.

truthman

Joe Roberts

BANNED
Banned
truthteller86 said:

Do you feel that Jefferson City should be renamed? If so what are some of your ideas.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
drbrumley said:
Not as of yet. I will soon enough!

As for crediting sources, everyone here knows I copy and paste quite a bit. If they want to know it is a copy, then copy a sentence or two and google.

What is the web site you copy from the most?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
truthman said:
kmoney,

Like I said, just pay attention to David Barton and his crowd. They are the Wallbuilders and are famous for their "America's Godly Heritage" video and related merchandise.

Also, take a look at Bill Gothard's group.

truthman
I have seen "America's Godly Heritage". We actually own it. Don't know much about Bill Gothard though.

Neo-Puritan

kmoney said:
I have seen "America's Godly Heritage". We actually own it. Don't know much about Bill Gothard though.

Bill Gothard is an idiot who spouts variety of bizarre and unbiblical teachings. From him you can such "valuable" lessons as the evils of rock music, how Cabbage Patch Kids and Magic 8 Balls are possessed by demons, and that women should stay married to and obedient to husband's which abuse them and their children.

Status
Not open for further replies.