California proving to be the state of insanity

Gary K

Banned
The following article shows how California is going about eliminating all sanity from the discussion of transgenderism. Any publication that states there are clearly defined gender roles of men and women, including the Bible, is about to be banned there. The legislation has already passed one house of California's legislature.

Here we once again see the totalitarianism of the left being put into practice.

The following article can be found at: http://www.wnd.com/2018/04/liberty-counsel-warning-california-about-to-ban-bible-sales/

Liberty Counsel, which defends religious and civil rights, Friday warned that the state of California effectively is about to ban the sale of Bibles.
A bill in the legislature, approved 50-18 in an Assembly vote this week, would forbid counselors from telling a gender-confused male client that he is actually a man.
The law would allow, however, a counselor to advise a male he should identify as a woman.
The legislation, AB 2943, “is so far reaching that it also prohibits printed materials and even books,” Liberty Counsel warned.
An affirmative vote in the Democratic-controlled state Senate appears to be likely.
Liberty Counsel explained the bill “would prevent so-called ‘conversion therapy,’ sometimes called Sexual Orientation Change Efforts, and add it to the list of fraudulent schemes under the states’ Consumer Legal Remedies Act.”
The bill declares “advertising, offering to engage in, or engaging in sexual orientation change efforts with an individual” is fraudulent business practice.
“If approved, victims of sexual abuse can no longer get counseling if they develop (as often happens) unwanted urges to engage in same-sex behavior or become gender confused,” Liberty Counsel said.
“This bill would also make it unlawful for any person to sell books, including the Bible, counseling services, or anything else that directs people to trust in Jesus Christ to help them overcome unwanted same-sex attraction or gender confusion.”
Randy Thomasson, president of SaveCalifornia.com, a leading pro-family group, criticized the bill.
“How can any legislator voting for this call themselves pro-choice when they’ve voted to wipe out a person’s own choice of a counselor?” Thomasson asked.
“How can any legislator voting for AB 2943 say they support religious freedom when they’ve just threatened church bookstores that sell self-help books about overcoming unwanted same-sex desires? AB 2943 is anti-free-speech, anti-religious-freedom, anti-free-choice, and has no place in a free society. This intolerant bill contains no exemption and no protection at all for religious entities.”
He said the claim that counseling to overcome same-sex attraction is “harmful” is built on unfounded reasoning.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
“This bill would also make it unlawful for any person to sell books, including the Bible, counseling services, or anything else that directs people to trust in Jesus Christ to help them overcome unwanted same-sex attraction or gender confusion.”
Randy Thomasson, president of SaveCalifornia.com, a leading pro-family group, criticized the bill.

Considering that the Bible spends remarkably little space on this particular sin, and spends zero space instructing us on how to overcome same-sex attraction, and seeing as the law does't remotely outlaw the sales of Bibles, this looks like another huckster trying to make a buck by scaring people.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Psychological studies have shown that conservatives tend to be more fear-based (i.e., they exhibit stronger responses to perceived threats). It seems WND knows this and exploits it.

Furthermore, Psychological studies have shown that people who post politically bias statements on public forums tend to have lower mental capabilities, suffer from low self-esteem, are incapable of finding long lasting relationships, tend to be socially awkward, and choose monikers that relate to 'Indigenous Latin Insects' as their pseudonym when posting on social forums.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I spent a large portion of my life in California and I'm happy to see that I 'escaped' a while back, from that nasty mire it has become. It now has, Jerry Brown as its Fuehrer and the Libs have confiscated the entire state.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Psychological studies have shown that conservatives tend to be more fear-based (i.e., they exhibit stronger responses to perceived threats). It seems WND knows this and exploits it.

Turns out there's a neuroanatomical basis for that. Liberals tend to have larger anterior cingulate gyrii in their brains, while conservatives have larger amygdalas.

The former functions to assess apparently conflicting information, while the latter mediates threat assessment.

It's like the old saying:

"Liberals are open and friendly, because they think most people are pretty much like they are. Conservatives are closed and surly for the same reason."

WizardofOz

Furthermore, Psychological studies have shown that people who post politically bias statements on public forums tend to have lower mental capabilities, suffer from low self-esteem, are incapable of finding long lasting relationships, tend to be socially awkward, and choose monikers that relate to 'Indigenous Latin Insects' as their pseudonym when posting on social forums.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Grosnick Marowbe. Even with your lower mental capabilities and other social problems, TOL has embraced you.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Turns out there's a neuroanatomical basis for that. Liberals tend to have larger anterior cingulate gyrii in their brains, while conservatives have larger amygdalas.

The former functions to assess apparently conflicting information, while the latter mediates threat assessment.

It's like the old saying:

"Liberals are open and friendly, because they think most people are pretty much like they are. Conservatives are closed and surly for the same reason."

It has been said; "If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain." Barb is way past thirty-five so....

rexlunae

The following article shows how California is going about eliminating all sanity from the discussion of transgenderism. Any publication that states there are clearly defined gender roles of men and women, including the Bible, is about to be banned there. The legislation has already passed one house of California's legislature.

Here we once again see the totalitarianism of the left being put into practice.

The following article can be found at: http://www.wnd.com/2018/04/liberty-counsel-warning-california-about-to-ban-bible-sales/

Oh goodie, WND.

The legislation, AB 2943, “is so far reaching that it also prohibits printed materials and even books,” Liberty Counsel warned.

This is just a plain old lie, a fabrication designed to see if people are stupid enough to believe it.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB2943

But I also think it's the kind of lie that some Christians who invest heavily in feeling oppressed need to believe.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Wherever Democrats rule, crime, instability and insanity flourish

Trump White house? :think:

No, I don't think any of these guys are democrats...

59b8bcee38d20d20008b54aa-750-563.jpg

f395d0cdebd86eb1e7fe46683eb7a869

636449619108254940-AP-TRUMP-RUSSIA-PROBE-94963907.JPG

vHnAUVfS.jpg

george-103117_72237932.jpg

‘Call it chaos’: Trump adrift after week of White House anarchy
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/03/donald-trump-jared-kushner-hope-hicks-tarriffs-nra

QED

nikolai_42

Considering that the Bible spends remarkably little space on this particular sin, and spends zero space instructing us on how to overcome same-sex attraction, and seeing as the law does't remotely outlaw the sales of Bibles, this looks like another huckster trying to make a buck by scaring people.

Um...

To the point made. Stalin is said to have killed millions of people. To my knowledge, Stalin didn't personally take life from any human (by any direct means) but he is responsible for those deaths by his orders.

Yes, California Is on the Verge of Banning Some Christian Books, Here’s How

By David French

April 23, 2018 6:36 PM

Late last week, I wrote an article that caused a bit of a furious reaction in social-justice Twitter. Activists claimed I was lying, arguing in bad faith, and/or exaggerating the effect of California’s AB 2943, a bill that purports to declare “sexual orientation change efforts” to be an “unlawful business practice.” I claimed the bill was so broad that it could even ban books.

And I’m right. It can and would. Here’s a step-by-step guide how:

First, the bill by its own terms applies to very broad categories of services and goods. Here’s the key enabling language:

1770. (a) The following unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices undertaken by any person in a transaction intended to result or that results in the sale or lease of goods or services to any consumer are unlawful:

Second, a book (along with other written materials, like pamphlets or workbooks) fits within the very, very broad definition of a goods:

tangible chattels bought or leased for use primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, including certificates or coupons exchangeable for these goods, and including goods that, at the time of the sale or subsequently, are to be so affixed to real property as to become a part of real property, whether or not they are severable from the real property.

Basically, if you can buy it and move it (in other words, it’s not real estate), then it’s a good. Moreover, under the statute, “services” can include “services furnished in connection with the sale or repair of goods.” Booksellers provide “services.”

To this point, California’s statute is standard. Consumer protection acts apply broadly to goods and services, and they’re generally designed to prevent outright frauds and misrepresentations in commercial transactions. Anti-fraud statutes generally aren’t a threat to the First Amendment because consumer fraud isn’t constitutionally protected speech.

But here’s where the act gets pernicious. Scroll down through the list of dozens of prohibited acts, and you’ll come to paragraph 28, which bans: “Advertising, offering to engage in, or engaging in sexual orientation change efforts with an individual.”

Wait. What? “Sexual orientation change efforts” are in the same category as consumer fraud? So, what is a sexual-orientation-change effort? According to the bill, it means “any practices that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation. This includes efforts to change behaviors or gender expressions, or to eliminate or reduce sexual or romantic attractions or feelings toward individuals of the same sex.” (Emphasis added.)

This definition is far, far broader than the traditional definition of so-called reparative therapy — the effort to change a person’s romantic feelings toward people of the same sex — it now includes efforts to change mere behavior. In other words, if for example, a sexually active gay man or woman sought counseling not to change their orientation but rather to become celibate, then the services and goods provided in that effort would violate this statute. If parents faced a child who was identifying as a person of the opposite sex, then services and goods making the argument that, for example, they should persist in calling their daughter “she” and withhold life-altering hormone treatment in part because most children exhibiting symptoms of gender dysphoria desist would violate this statute.

This is a dramatic infringement on First Amendment rights, rendered even more pernicious by its functional declaration of certain kinds of religious speech and argument as the equivalent of consumer fraud.

Indeed, some folks in the California legislature know what this bill does and simply don’t care. Here’s assembly member Al Muratsuchi declaring that it’s time for the faith community to “evolve with the times.”

No sir. The faith community can and should continue to provide services and goods that state its perspective. Californians can seek to rebut faith claims. They can offer competing goods and services, but they do not have the power to declare Christian arguments about sexual morality and gender identity fraudulent and attempt to banish them from the public square.

Now, I don’t think California is going to sweep through Christian bookstores looking for books by Ryan Anderson or Rosaria Butterfield. That would be too much, even for them (though I would note that the statute would empower such an action.) It’s far more likely that the recommendation or sharing of certain kinds of Christian books and other written materials would be deemed evidence of fraud and would present a core part of the case against a minister or counselor.

In addition, the law would loom over booksellers and churches, establishing a chilling effect and providing a pretext for even more secular booksellers to refrain from stocking certain Christian titles — no matter how well-reasoned, well-researched, or well-argued.

It’s time for the California legislature to come to its senses and remember the Bill of Rights. The California Assembly has passed the bill. Now it’s in the California Senate’s hands. Perhaps more reasonable minds will prevail.

{https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/california-bill-threatens-christian-books-and-booksellers/}

The insanity in this bill is (in my view) evidenced in the fact that it defines the changing of sexual orientation as a crime - both behavior and feeling. Note that it does NOT ban the practice of sex change operations! In other words, sexual orientation is defined as whatever one's predilections, predispositions and desires are. Otherwise who is defining what one individual's sexual orientation actually is? If it is left to the individual, then why would it be a crime to offer therapy to someone who wants to change? Why would it be a crime to tell Him God hates confusion and that He has called homosexuality (and other sexual deviancy from heterosexuality) sinful? The individual is not being forced to do anything. He is free to ignore it or agree with it and the counselor should be free to offer what the seeker is seeking (if one's own desires are the rule by which sexual orientation is defined). But if the one seeking to have his sexual orientation changed is seeking an illegal good or service, is he not then a criminal by seeking to have his desires changed? The state, then, has defined his sexual orientation for him.. Either way, this bill is trying to legalize the enforced praise of variant sexuality. The libertarian cannot - in good conscience - support this effort to "evolve" historic Christian beliefs. This is an overt attempt at making a law respecting religion - but getting around it by not calling it religion (but "human rights"). If the California legislature is trying to make Christianity evolve, they are actively making a law respecting religion. They are effectively outlawing what has been a core moral belief of biblical Christianity since its inception.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So we're back to...

"Well, no, it doesn't actually say what I'm telling you that it does, but if you'll accept all of my arguments, I hope to convince you that it says so, anyway."

nikolai_42

So we're back to...

"Well, no, it doesn't actually say what I'm telling you that it does, but if you'll accept all of my arguments, I hope to convince you that it says so, anyway."

No. This is a specific address to the language of the bill. The author of the article made clear statements as to how the bill would clear the way to ban books (and, potentially, the bible). Well-constructed legislation is specific and unambiguous. Poorly constructed legislation (including that which leads to tyrannical activity) is loose and relies on the supposed good intentions of the drafter. So if the law allows for anything, then that allowance has to be considered an effect of the bill. If the wording tends against it, then it can be defended legally. But when a legislator stands up and says that Christianity (or Christians) need to evolve with the times, he is clearly rejecting the statements of that Book that says the Lord does NOT change (and the long-held beliefs that the Bible is a record of men who were directly inspired by God to write what they wrote - and so the very word of God). This is the same book recommended by men such as George Washington - and referenced by men like Benjamin Franklin when he said :

We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.

{Quoted from the Papers of James Madison -- Washington: Langtree & O’Sullivan, 1840, 2:985}

To assume that Christians could "evolve" rather than remain faithful to the One who was sought by those at the aforementioned Constitutional Convention is clear evidence that this is aimed at Christianity by those who (again, in the words of scripture) want to "...break their bands asunder.". The former tolerance of Christianity is now overt hostility and will - unless restrained by Almighty God - see this country turned into an anarchical state. Evil is being called good and good is being called evil in this very bill.

Look at the article. Look at the bill. Look at the hypocrisy contained in it even if you want to reject certain moralities that Christianity has long held - and has been generally accepted in the Western world. If you will not look at the ludicrous nature of the proposition, then look at the fact that it can't help but make a law concerning religion. There are so many problems with this bill that anyone who can't see at least one of them is either blind to the truth or has a vested interest in supporting it.