ECT How is Paul's message different?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Agreed

This is what I disagree with.
Paul tells Christians (those in Christ) of the mystery/my gospel. What did he preach to them that made them Christians? The same thing Peter did on Pentecost. No one has yet to prove otherwise. He also baptized the believers just as Peter did. Since he received the gospel from Jesus and not man, where did he get water baptism?

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Danoh

Church of Christ would explain his ignorant blindness. Well I was close.

Ultimately tho, Baptist and CoC are the same...CoC are just honest enough to admit how much weight before God they think their baptism has. That's why Turbo is what he is.

Yeah...

I wish he'd just come out and admit this that he every so often does his little jig around - his holding with the COC cult.

Even Meshak is at least honest about her affiliation with her siding with the JWs cult.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

musterion

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And they never did it.

Did Christ lie, or were they disobedient failures? Do you know the answer?

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I’m beginning to think so.
it's not impossible but I doubt it.

Just apply the same action to any leader.

Let's say, for example, that you're the founder and CEO of a new corporation that prints bibles. But this isn't just any corporation because you aren't just any CEO. You're the smartest and wisest leader any corporation have ever had or ever could have. Everything you say, do or even think is exactly the right thing - perfect. You set about hand picking a team and then spend the next three years training them on everything there is to know about printing and distributing bibles to the whole world. Then, for one reason or another, you decide that you've got business that needs taken care of elsewhere and you leave the running of your organization to this inner-circle team. But you don't leave them to it by themselves, you send your bother, your identical twin brother, who knows everything you know and is every bit as smart and wise as you are to guide them in their decisions. With him in place, it's like you're not even gone.
So, they start off doing the bible making/distribution thing great! I mean sales couldn't hardly be any better. Thousands are being sold in a single day.
In response to this terrific track record, you decide to bench the entire inner circle team, telling them to settle down and focus on things closer to home because you've decided to send this other guy who, just last year, was trying to have them all killed and stomp out the bible making business altogether. This freshly murderous new convert is now your new number one and he's going to go, without any training whatsoever, and take over world operations.

It's absurd on its face. Something changed or Paul is a fraud.

True. Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Jew and Gentile alike are sinners.
So then why'd you say it? You answer that next...

The reason I say a different audience is because of previous MAD conversations about Gal. 2:7. Paul and the 12 would preach the gospel to anyone. I believe the 12 had a lot of work in and around Jerusalem. Paul was not accepted there so he was the perfect man to take it on the road.
So what you are doing is living with a contradiction because of a problem text that exists within your paradigm.

You say there is a different audience because of what the bible flatly states in Gal. 2 but compartmentalize that just enough to not see that, in your theological paradigm, there is no 2nd audience for Paul to go to. All the world is all the world. Jerusalem is not all the world. Jesus didn't send the Twelve to Jerusalem, He sent them to all the world. And yet they didn't go to all the world, they, in fact, didn't end up going anywhere. They ministered to their converts in Jerusalem.

WHY DID THEY DO THAT?

Here are just a few of the problems I see MAD create.
Daniel and Jesus are false prophets.
No they aren't. Good grief man! Seriously?

Do you really think that we'd hold to doctrines that turned Daniel and Jesus Christ Himself into false prophets?

I'm almost certain I know what you're driving at here and I'm leaving it alone. I'm not going to be dragged off into the weeds again. Suffice it to say that it isn't at all true and that I'd wager that your understanding of "false prophet" is wrong anyway, even from within your own paradigm.

It divides Christ.
Did you say this because I warned you not to say such things?

Poisoning the well is irrational. When you do it on purpose, its also a lie.

Where is the earthly kingdom in Jesus's teaching Israel and saying it’s at hand?
This wasn't worded well. There's more than one thing you could be asking.

God didn't give Israel their Kingdom because they (corporately speaking) hated the King. (see Jeremiah 18 and Romans 9)

I do try to question everything but when people tell me a passage doesn’t mean what it says, I’m going to be skeptical.
Of course, but the point is that paradigms are tricky things to deal with because they will alter BOTH what a passage says and means.

Great analogy. It does seem like a different language. Based on your answers, your not really getting my point either.
My struggle isn't see your point. I see your paradigm very clearly. Not because I'm super smart or anything but just simply because I used to live within your paradigm. I used to see everything you see. I fully understand why you see it and why it so difficult to see past.

That is exactly what I do. I would suggest you are looking at the trees and not the forest.

15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
9 What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin,
:rotfl:

That surely had to be a joke!

If it wasn't, you're much further away than I thought. You just made a claim and then quoted a passage that proves the claim false. You can't see it but its true.

Help me to see it your way but based on what Paul says to the Corinthians, they were separating themselves based on who converted them, I follow Paul, I follow Peter.
Why would they have done such a thing?

You've said those Peter converted were in Christ but different than those converted by Paul.
Quite so. "In Christ" being a synonym for having put their faith in Christ, yes.

Wouldn't that justify their separating themselves?
No, of course it wouldn't!

Is Christ divided? (Sarcasm)

Pauls converts were in the body in Christ but Peters were just in Christ and not in the body?
Precisely. Those converted in the previous dispensation (by Peter) were not in the Body of Christ. They remained members of the Kingdom of Israel.

When you say two separate groups, I assume you mean in Christ at one time?
I mean that there is no way to become a member of the Kingdom of Israel today. It makes no difference what your ethnicity is. If you put your faith in Christ today, you are a member of the Body of Christ - period. There is no other option.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Interplanner

Let's say, for example, that you're the founder and CEO of a new corporation that prints bibles. But this isn't just any corporation because you aren't just any CEO. You're the smartest and wisest leader any corporation have ever had or ever could have. Everything you say, do or even think is exactly the right thing - perfect. You set about hand picking a team and then spend the next three years training them on everything there is to know about printing and distributing bibles to the whole world. Then, for one reason or another, you decide that you've got business that needs taken care of elsewhere and you leave the running of your organization to this inner-circle team. But you don't leave them to it by themselves, you send your bother, your identical twin brother, who knows everything you know and is every bit as smart and wise as you are to guide them in their decisions. With him in place, it's like you're not even gone.
So, they start off doing the bible making/distribution thing great! I mean sales couldn't hardly be any better. Thousands are being sold in a single day.
In response to this terrific track record, you decide to bench the entire inner circle team, telling them to settle down and focus on things closer to home because you've decided to send this other guy who, just last year, was trying to have them all killed and stomp out the bible making business altogether. This freshly murderous new convert is now your new number one and he's going to go, without any training whatsoever, and take over world operations.

So what you are doing is living with a contradiction because of a problem text that exists within your paradigm.

You say there is a different audience because of what the bible flatly states in Gal. 2 but compartmentalize that just enough to not see that, in your theological paradigm, there is no 2nd audience for Paul to go to. All the world is all the world. Jerusalem is not all the world. Jesus didn't send the Twelve to Jerusalem, He sent them to all the world. And yet they didn't go to all the world, they, in fact, didn't end up going anywhere. They ministered to their converts in Jerusalem.

WHY DID THEY DO THAT?

Do you really think that we'd hold to doctrines that turned Daniel and Jesus Christ Himself into false prophets?

I'm almost certain I know what you're driving at here and I'm leaving it alone. I'm not going to be dragged off into the weeds again. Suffice it to say that it isn't at all true and that I'd wager that your understanding of "false prophet" is wrong anyway, even from within your own paradigm.

God didn't give Israel their Kingdom because they (corporately speaking) hated the King. (see Jeremiah 18 and Romans 9)

Of course, but the point is that paradigms are tricky things to deal with because they will alter BOTH what a passage says and means.

My struggle isn't see your point. I see your paradigm very clearly. Not because I'm super smart or anything but just simply because I used to live within your paradigm. I used to see everything you see. I fully understand why you see it and why it so difficult to see past.

If it wasn't, you're much further away than I thought. You just made a claim and then quoted a passage that proves the claim false. You can't see it but its true.

Quite so. "In Christ" being a synonym for having put their faith in Christ, yes.

Precisely. Those converted in the previous dispensation (by Peter) were not in the Body of Christ. They remained members of the Kingdom of Israel.

I mean that there is no way to become a member of the Kingdom of Israel today. It makes no difference what your ethnicity is. If you put your faith in Christ today, you are a member of the Body of Christ - period. There is no other option.

Resting in Him,
Clete

There isn't any becoming a member of the Kingdom of Israel anyway. Not what it meant back then. (You could apply for citizenship in modern Israel). There isn't going to be that kingdom. The kingdom of God is at work now. It works through the Gospel, causing people to believe and obey. There is no other option when reading the NT, and when reading what the NT says when it quotes the OT, at which D'ists are abjectly dishonest.

Interplanner

Having separate groups of believers is not the equivalent of "Christ being divided", which you only say because it sounds really bad and surely no one would want to be associated with such an awful idea as "Christ divided". It's called "poisoning the well" and it's irrational. You should avoid saying such things.

Besides, today there aren't two separate groups. Today, it is quite true that you are either a Christian or you are not. You either believe Paul's gospel before you die or you are condemned. That will remain the case until such time as God returns to Israel and "grafts her back in again" as Paul put it. Then Paul's gospel will have run it's course and the focus will be on Peter, James and John (biblically speaking) with Christ reigning over the nations from Jerusalem for a thousand years. After that - God only knows.

Resting in Him,
Clete

God is not 'returning to Israel and grafting her back in' People who believe are grafted back in. He wasn't talking about Israel. he was talking about who would be in the tree (of faith). And saying that those with the background of Israel (then, not necessarily now) would have an advantage of understanding and of effectiveness when they ministered in the mission.

Interplanner

No.

Peter preached the crucifixion as bad news -- a murder committed by the entire nation, one they all had to repent of and prove it by a water baptism right out of Moses, Jew first.

Paul preached the cross as the best news all mankind ever heard, with God in it reconciling the world to Himself, to be received by faith alone without works of any kind, including water baptism, and free to all without distinction.

Peter preached NONE of that at Pentecost.

You are wrong and lost.

Totally degenerate. The forgiveness Peter spoke of came through the cross event. You are totally discredited, not as though you had much before!

It's your dishonest treatment of the enthronement and kingdom. If you would just believe what 2:30,31 are saying, and believe that they are the correct interp of Ps 2, you would be able to clear up this madness.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
God is not 'returning to Israel and grafting her back in' People who believe are grafted back in. He wasn't talking about Israel. he was talking about who would be in the tree (of faith). And saying that those with the background of Israel (then, not necessarily now) would have an advantage of understanding and of effectiveness when they ministered in the mission.

So you reject the entirety of Romans 11?

Spoiler
I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying,“L ord, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life” ?But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.Just as it is written: “God has given them a spirit of stupor, Eyes that they should not see And ears that they should not hear, To this very day.”And David says: “Let their table become a snare and a trap, A stumbling block and a recompense to them.Let their eyes be darkened, so that they do not see, And bow down their back always.”I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles.Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches.And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.”Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;For this is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins.”Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience,even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!“For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?”“Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?”For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. - Romans 11:1-36 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans11:1-36&version=NKJV

musterion

WHY DID THEY DO THAT?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete, he's just making stuff up to be controversial and get attention because MAD is irrefutable.

"Daniel and Jesus were false prophets."

He knows more than enough about MAD to seriously suggest that. He's only worth ignoring. It's your time to waste but I'll clue you this far: he is NOT paying sincere attention to you...every now and then he'll toss in a hint that he's open minded, but it's bait. He's raised many of these same idiotic objections since he arrived. They've been answered by various MADs. He doesn't listen. It's his act. Don't fall for it.

Jerry Shugart

That is exactly the doctrine to which you hold!

You say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from "works" and if you are right then the Lord Jesus was a false prophet because He told the Jews who lived under the law the following:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life" (Jn.5:24).​

But what do you care since your little Neo-MAD Handbook is your final authority!

musterion

Could the Jews who lived under the law be saved apart from works?

Let's see if you will actually answer this SIMPLE question!

What does "saved" mean in your question?

I've asked you a half dozen times to define that in the context of your question but, like a fool, you just laugh it off.

Interplanner

So you reject the entirety of Romans 11?

Spoiler
I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying,“L ord, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life” ?But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.Just as it is written: “God has given them a spirit of stupor, Eyes that they should not see And ears that they should not hear, To this very day.”And David says: “Let their table become a snare and a trap, A stumbling block and a recompense to them.Let their eyes be darkened, so that they do not see, And bow down their back always.”I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles.Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches.And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.”Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;For this is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins.”Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience,even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!“For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?”“Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?”For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. - Romans 11:1-36 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans11:1-36&version=NKJV

You don't understand it. You don't know what happened in 9 and 10.

You haven't done proper exegesis of the final paragraph in which the new covenant is enjoyed now, the one that takes away sins, like JohnB announced to begin with.

Interplanner

Totally degenerate. The forgiveness Peter spoke of came through the cross event. You are totally discredited, not as though you had much before!

It's your dishonest treatment of the enthronement and kingdom. If you would just believe what 2:30,31 are saying, and believe that they are the correct interp of Ps 2, you would be able to clear up this madness.

Futher on this point against Musterion:

You have not read or do not coordinate with Lk 24: repentance and forgiveness of sins was preached from day 1 of the mission.

You are totally disqualified as a reader. No retention whatsoever. Any knowledgeable person reading Acts 2 would NOT DARE overlook the run-up of Lk 24 as you have. It's what the 40 days was all about.

Jerry Shugart

What does "saved" mean in your question?

I've asked you a half dozen times to define that in the context of your question but, like a fool, you just laugh it off.

i will answer your question then I will expect you to answer mine. Here is what the Lord Jesus told the Jews who lived under the law:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

The Lord is not speaking of dying physically because believers die. The "death" which these Jewish believers will never experience is the one here:

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Rev.21:8).​

The Jewish believers who lived under the law were saved from the second death.

So now answer my question.

Could the Jews who lived under the law be saved apart from works?

Last edited:

musterion

i will answer your question then I will expect you to answer mine. Here is what the Lord Jesus told the Jews who lived under the law:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

You still haven't clarified your terms yet, and I now believe that's a deliberate choice on your part.

For one thing, you're not taking Hebrews 6:46 and 10:38-39 into account. You can't ignore it, but you are.

Second, if you're going to talk Israel and Law, you have to go all the way back to Moses.

So:

Who, going all the way back to the initiation of the Law, had a guaranteed anticipation of eternal life as a present possession that cannot be lost, as Paul says the Body of Christ has?