Homeschoolers

ShadowMaid

Christine said:
Last year the "secret" was that you knew Anthony was "in the oven."

Then it's probably not a baby, because you wouldn't have forgotten that! :D

Haha, you're probably right. :D

(You're getting to know me far to well. :noid: )

JoyfulRook

Welcome to the Homeschooler's thread (actually it's more of a :spam: shack)! But we do talk about things of substance every once and a while. What's your question? :D

JoyfulRook

:wave2: CapnFungi! I'm not really sure what questions you have, but I have a generalized paper on why Homeschooling is better than Public or Private Schooling:
Dread Helm said:
Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling

· Socialization
Debunking the Myth

Homeschoolers are very apt when it comes to speaking and meeting people. Often we are asked question such as “How do you ever meet people?” Well, through Homeschool groups, City recreational leagues and classes, Church groups, and many other ways. Homeschoolers are not under socialized or overbearingly shy around people or groups any more than any Public School Student. In fact, Homeschoolers have a highly diversified portfolio of Socialization from many ages and groups. Often when Homeschoolers have younger siblings the older ones teach the younger, developing leadership. Public Schools many times negative affects of teasing and bad peer pressure arise.

· Teacher Qualification and Academics
Are Homeschool moms under qualified for teaching?

Well I’ve heard the saying from Homeschool moms, “If you can read, you can teach. If not, you can learn along with your child!” And it’s true. There are many curriculums out there starting from pre-school all the way to High School. If you don’t know the material very well, it’s ok! You’ll learn along with your child. Instead of just teaching like a public school teacher, the mom is pouring her life into the child. It is also interesting to note that these famous people were also Homeschooled:

Generals

Stonewall Jackson
Robert E. Lee
Douglas MacArthur
George Patton

Inventors

Alexander Graham Bell
Thomas Edison
Cyrus McCormick
Orville Wright

Wilbur Wright

Artists

Claude Monet
Leonardo da Vinci
Jamie Wyeth
Andrew Wyeth
John Singleton Copley

Presidents

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
John Quincy Adams
James Madison
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
Abraham Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
Franklin
DelanoRoosevelt

Scientists

George Washington Carver
Pierre Curie
Albert Einstein
Booker T. Washington
Blaise Pascal

Statesmen

Konrad Adenauer
Winston Churchill
Benjamin
Franklin

Patrick Henry
William Penn
Henry Clay

United States Supreme Court Judges

John Jay
John Marshall
John Rutledge

Composers

IrvingBerlin
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Anton Bruckner
Felix Mendelssohn
Francis Poulenc

Writers

Hans Christian Anderson
Charles Dickens
Brett Harte
Mark Twain
Sean O'Casey
Phillis Wheatley
Mercy Warren
Pearl S. Buck
Agatha Christie
C.S. Lewis
George Bernard Shaw

Religious leaders

Joan of Arc
Brigham Young
John Wesley

Charles Wesley
Jonathan Edwards
John Owen
William Cary
Dwight L. Moody
John
Newton

Others

Charles Chaplin - Actor
George Rogers Clark - Explorer
Andrew Carnegie - Industrialist
Noel Coward - Playwright
John Burroughs - Naturalist
Bill Ridell - Newspaperman
Will Rogers - Humorist
Albert Schweitzer - Physician
Tamara McKinney - World Cup Skier
Jim Ryan - World Runner
Ansel Adams - Photographer
Charles Louis Montesquieu - philosopher
John Stuart Mill - Economist
John Paul Jones - father of the American Navy
Florence Nightingale - nurse
Clara Barton - started the Red Cross
Abigail Adams - wife of John Adams
Martha Washington - wife of George W.

John Witherspoon - President of Princeton U.
Benjamin Franklin - inventor and statesman
William S. Johnson - President of Columbia C.
George Clymer - U.S. Representative
Charles Pickney III - Governor of S. Carolina
John Francis Mercer - U.S. Representative
George Wythe - Justice of Virginia High Court
William Blount - U.S. Senator
Richard D. Spaight - Governor of N. Carolina
William Livingston - Governor of New Jersey
Richard Basset - Governor of Delaware
William Houston - lawyer
William Few - U.S. Senator
George Mason

Studies show that:

• Almost 25% of home school students were enrolled one or more grades above their age-level peers in public and private schools.
2. Home school student achievement test scores were exceptionally high. The median scores for every subtest at every grade (typically in the 70th to 80th percentile) were well above those of public and Catholic/Private school students.

3. On average, home school students in grades 1 to 4 performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests.

4. Students who had been home schooled their entire academic life had higher scholastic achievement test scores than students who had also attended other educational programs.

5. There were no meaningful differences in achievement by gender, whether the student was enrolled in a full-service curriculum, or whether a parent held a state issued teaching certificate.

6. There were significant achievement differences among home school students when classified by amount of money spent on education, family income, parent education, and television viewing.

According to

The Scholastic Achievement
and Demographic Characteristics of
HomeSchool Students in 1998
An independent study by Lawrence M. Rudner, Ph.D.,
Director of the ERIC Clearinghouse on
Assessment and Evaluation

The estimated number of homeschooled children in the United States (grades K-12) for the 2001-2002 school year was between 1.725 million and 2.185 million.

· Family Relationships and Values
Are Family bonds tighter and closer knit in a Homeschool Family? Are Public schools undermining traditional morality?

Since Homeschool families are together so often, they have, for the most part, closer relationships to one another. Many times Public Schooled Families are more dysfunctional than Homeschool families. Many Public Schools undermine Judeo-Christian and family values. Look at this Study by “Family Planning Perspectives” Volume 32, No. 5, September/October 2000:

“During their adolescence, most will become at risk of pregnancy or of infection with HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).5 National studies have found that substantial proportions of young adolescents have used alcohol, tobacco and marijuana.6 The 1999 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) found that among American high school students in grade nine, 6% of girls and 18% of boys have had intercourse before age 13 (approximately before grade seven), and that 33% and 45%, respectively, have ever had intercourse.7 Among female students of all races in grade nine, 8% have had four or more sex partners in their lifetime, as have 16% of male students. The YRBS data also indicate that 13% of female high school students (grades 9-12) have been forced to have sexual intercourse, as have 5% of males.”

· Salt and Light
Shouldn’t we send our children to Public School so they can be Salt and Light?

Many times Christians will use the excuse of sending their children off as missionaries in the Public Schools. But, when you send impressionable 5 and 6 year olds off to be educated by a Godless School system it undermines what you have taught your children. We should be Salt and Light but if the salt becomes tasteless (and no longer for use):

Matthew 5:13
"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

· Our Biblical Foundation
Why we stand on the Bible.

Deuteronomy 6:7-8
”You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up.”

Ephesians 6:4
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Sending our children to Public School is the equivalent of the men of King David’s time sending their children to the Philistines to educate them.

Resources:

http://www.hslda.org/research/faq.asp#1

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2003/schoolchoice/5.asp#two

http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/journals/3221200.html

The Scholastic Achievement
and Demographic Characteristics of
HomeSchool Students in 1998
An independent study by Lawrence M. Rudner, Ph.D.,
Director of the ERIC Clearinghouse on
Assessment and Evaluation
Excuse my list of Homeschooled leaders. I forget where I got that, and some of the names are listed twice.

CapnFungi

Christine said:
How old are you children?

6 and 4..

My 6 year old is about to finish kindergarten but he hates his school. It is 5% white. He is also the only white student in the kindergarten class. I'm not prejudice or anything, but if he says he doesn't like it, I don't want to make him go again next year. Apparenty, its open season on the white kids at this school.

My main question is HOW DO I START?

Christine

Well, Captain, there are many great resources on the web to help homeschooling parents. I would suggest you check out HSLDA to find out how to homeschool legally in your state. Some other sites that might be of interest:

Trivium Pursuit (family favorite)

Abeka (Christian textbook company)

Bob Jones University Press (another Christian textbook company)

Alpha Omega (yet another Christian curriculum company)

Christian Light (more Christian curriculum)

Rod and Staff (Christian curriculum)

Sonlight (Christian curriculum, a favorite of mine)

Five in a Row (Christian curriculum for young children)

Vegsource (great place to find used curriculum for all ages)

For children that young, however, you don't necessarly need a rigorous curriculum. This article Ten Things to Do Before Age Ten might be of interest. :)

JoyfulRook

Christine said:
Well, Captain, there are many great resources on the web to help homeschooling parents. I would suggest you check out HSLDA to find out how to homeschool legally in your state. Some other sites that might be of interest:

Trivium Pursuit (family favorite)

Abeka (Christian textbook company)

Bob Jones University Press (another Christian textbook company)

Alpha Omega (yet another Christian curriculum company)

Christian Light (more Christian curriculum)

Rod and Staff (Christian curriculum)

Sonlight (Christian curriculum, a favorite of mine)

Five in a Row (Christian curriculum for young children)

Vegsource (great place to find used curriculum for all ages)

For children that young, however, you don't necessarly need a rigorous curriculum. This article Ten Things to Do Before Age Ten might be of interest. :)
Very good resources Christine! My family personally recommends Abeka and Alpha Omega.