"Roseanne" Scores Huge Numbers

Jerry Shugart

The revival of “Roseanne” made a massive impact in its return on Tuesday night in the Nielsen overnight ratings.

ABC aired back-to-back episodes of the show from 8-9 p.m., with the show generating a staggering 5.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 18.2 million viewers for the hour. For comparison, NBC’s revival of “Will & Grace” at the beginning of this season drew a 3.0 and 10.2 million viewers in its premiere, while the launch of “Big Bang Theory” prequel “Young Sheldon” drew a 3.8 and 17.2 million. The Conner family’s return after 20 years no doubt drew plenty of nostalgia viewers, while others were surely motivated to watch to see how series creator Roseanne Barr’s support of President Trump would play out onscreen.

The only scripted show this season to outperform “Roseanne” was the post-Super Bowl episode of “This Is Us,” which drew a 9.3 and 26.97 million viewers.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/roseanne-revival-abc-ratings-1202738237/

Roseanne Conner is back in prime time, and that thing you’ve been hearing so much about — that choice she made in the last presidential election — has been confirmed and explained.

Roseanne did indeed cast her vote for Donald Trump, or rather, He Who Must Not Be Named, because no one actually says his name throughout the episode. Ditto She Who Must Not Be Named, the pantsuited opponent whom Roseanne assumes sister Jackie voted for, which led to a year-long rift during which the siblings and best friends haven’t spoken to each other.

This part of the Roseanne revival already had some fans vowing not to tune in. How could that liberal, underdog-championing, working-class heroine Roseanne Conner have changed so dramatically that she would turn her back on all she claimed to believe in, all she claimed to be about, to vote … another way? When she and Jackie finally agree to a détente to talk about their beef, Roseanne explains her choice in a way that almost certainly won’t change anyone’s mind, but nevertheless lays down a point: You can choose to get past it, or at least to keep talking, no matter how much you continue to disagree.

Roseanne and Jackie ultimately make up, even when Jackie’s apology is met with nothing more than Roseanne’s acceptance of her apology. That’s classic Roseanne. Also classic Roseanne, and classic Roseanne-and-Jackie’s relationship? Jackie didn’t actually vote for Hillary Clinton. Always indecisive and easily swayed by her sister, Jackie heard Roseanne’s anti-Clinton sentiments ringing in her ears in the voting booth, and she voted for Jill Stein instead.

Not that Jackie, wearing her best “Nasty Woman” T-shirt and pink ***** hat, completely backs down. She gifts the Conners with a bottle of salad dressing — Russian dressing, natch — when she comes to dinner, after calling Roseanne a “deplorable.” Roseanne says she voted for Trump because the Conners almost lost their house, and she didn’t believe the promises being made by other candidates. That’s the gist of her defense of voting Trump, and the politically charged squabble between her and Jackie, at least in this first episode of the reboot, proves to be more about the sisters’ relationship and the Conner family’s worsened economic situation than about anything that suggests Roseanne has abandoned her core beliefs about her fellow humans and their rights.

I know, I know, some may argue that’s not possible, that too little is being made of Roseanne’s choice and its implications. But maybe too much has been made of it, based on what we’ve seen so far. Roseanne and Dan nearly lost their home. They’re providing food and shelter to one of their adult children (Darlene) and two of their grandchildren. They each require more medication than they can afford, a matter that will resonate all too soberly with many viewers, despite Dan’s goofy and charming Sammy Davis Jr. “Candy Man” impersonation when he brings home the pills they can buy. The Conners are trying to take care of each other the best they can, in some new but still-trying circumstances, as they’ve always done.

I don’t agree with Roseanne’s choice, but I welcome the discussion it might spark. I also welcome the chance to revisit this great TV family, not just for their humor and heart and dysfunction, but also to see how they’re handling real-world controversies. That’s something Roseanne has always tackled deftly, and this premiere episode suggests the series will continue to tread into uncomfortable and timely topics in honest, if not always popular, ways.

For example, there’s Darlene’s sweet teenage son Mark, who wears skirts and flashy colors. “May the winds fill his sails and carry him to the boys’ section of Target,” Dan says. It’s a topic that will be revisited in future episodes, as will the fact that Darlene, the only Conner kid with a college education, has lost her job and has been forced to return to Lanford and crash with her parents. Meanwhile, Becky — widowed Becky — is living on her own, but, like her parents, is barely getting by with a low-paying waitressing job. She thinks her only shot at getting ahead is to accept $50,000 to become a surrogate mother, a decision that doesn’t settle well with Dan (but which does lead to the continuation of the tradition of great Roseanne tag scenes).

So Roseanne is driving for Uber, Dan is back to drywalling (and he’s not dead, hooray!), D.J. and his tween daughter have returned to town after his stint in the Army, and Jackie is a certified life coach. And the presence of children in the household once again has Dan and Roseanne scrambling to remember where they stashed their gun. (Answer: an empty ice cream carton in the garage refrigerator.)

Times have changed, but the people haven’t, which is why it’s so good to have the Conners back.

http://amp.vulture.com/2018/03/roseanne-season-10-premiere-recap.html

I love me some Roseanne!!!

john w

Hall of Fame
Rosey was quite reasonable, the other night, on "Kimmel," actually defending The Donald, and scolded Kimmel, the media a bit, in their bashing of him, the context being, "He is our President....Give Him the respect that he deserves." She seems to have "mellowed."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As a longtime "Roseanne" sitcom fan, I didn't see her support of Trump as being true to her character. Having said that, as long as the show stays true to it's beginning and doesn't become politicized, I will continue to view it.

Jerry Shugart

As a longtime "Roseanne" sitcom fan, I didn't see her support of Trump as being true to her character.

She said "I have always … attempted to portray a realistic portrait of the American people and working class people. And, in fact, it was working class people that elected Trump so I felt that was very real and something that needed to be discussed.”

Republicans: Working Class People.
Demos: The Elite

rexlunae

Just a guess, but I think the Roseanne revival appeals to people who feel like all of a sudden their country seems to be split between two groups that neither understand each other nor want to. It's a new and unfamiliar feeling for a lot of us. So it seems to be kind of portraying both sides of that divide in a realistic way. Roseanne (the real person and the character) being a Trump supporter helps to do that. I think that the goal is to show characters who have been thoroughly propagandized and polarized eventually coming together for the sake of family and more fundamental motivations like that.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just I guess, but I think the Roseanne revival appeals to people who feel like all of a sudden their country seems to be split between two groups that neither understand each other nor want to. It's a new and unfamiliar feeling for a lot of us. So it seems to be kind of portraying both sides of that divide in a realistic way. Roseanne (the real person and the character) being a Trump supporter helps to do that. I think that the goal is to show characters who have been thoroughly propagandized and polarized eventually coming together for the sake of family and more fundamental motivations like that.

I agree ... though that does also present the problem of associating the main character with their political views ... in the same way that Jane Fonda was associated with her political views. I may give it another episode or two, but I am not sure if I will be able to get over my personal distaste for the actress to bring me back as a fan of the sitcom.

Bring back Married with Children and Marcy Darcy! :D

rexlunae

I agree ... though that does also present the problem of associating the main character with their political views ... in the same way that Jane Fonda was associated with her political views. I may give it another episode or two, but I am not sure if I will be able to get over my personal distaste for the actress to bring me back as a fan of the sitcom.

Bring back Married with Children and Marcy Darcy! :D

The funny thing to me is that I never liked the original that much, but I really like the reboot, so far. In a way, I think it is more relevant now.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The funny thing to me is that I never liked the original that much, but I really like the reboot, so far. In a way, I think it is more relevant now.

One thing that is lacking is some of the cast from the original series. Mark. David. Fred. Arnie. Leon. The original, IMO, represented the types of things happen in real life. Funny things that is easier to write for a middle-age family with grade school kids.

WizardofOz

One thing that is lacking is some of the cast from the original series. Mark. David. Fred. Arnie. Leon. The original, IMO, represented the types of things happen in real life. Funny things that is easier to write for a middle-age family with grade school kids.

It'll be hard to get Mark back...:rip:

wonderdog

I kind of liked the Roseanne show, I haven't seen this yet but I'll check this new version out when I can. I like John Goodman! I don't know why the show is being looked at as some sort of validation of the Trump administration though. Yes, a big demographic in the US voted for Trump. I don't think anyone denies that? Trump is a big Television Hollywood personality.

Last edited: