ECT What was the mark of Cain?

tieman55

What was the mark of Cain?

KJV Gen 4:15 "And the Lord set a mark upon Cain"

Personally, I have never heard any convincing explanation as to what was the mark of Cain.

Here is what I think Cain's mark was.

The most common English translations for the operative phrase in Gen 4:15 are below.

Set a mark,
put a mark
put a sign
placed a mark
put a special mark &
(1) appointed a sign

There is one translation that says “set a sign in Cain”, this one best fits my proposed answer to Cain's mark. It is from the Wycliffe Bible, it says “And the Lord set a sign in Cain,”

Where else, in the Bible, is the word "mark" relevant to Gen:4?

I find it relevant twice in Job.

1. Job 10:14

NKJV "If I sin, then You mark me, And will not acquit me, And will not acquit me of my iniquity."

There are several translations of the same Job passage that take the word "mark" and use "watch" in its place.

One example of many: ISV "If I sin, you watch me and won't acquit me for my iniquity."

The many English translations of Job 10 indicate to me that “mark” can mean to keep “watch” of the marked person. Both Job 10:14 and Gen 4 make it very clear that a mark(ed) person is in no way forgiven.

2. Job 39:1, of the many translations, KJV uses the word mark while many other translations use the word "seen" or "watch".

With these two examples from Job where "mark" is translated also as "watch", "watch" would be in a Bible thesaurus for the term "mark".

In Gen. 4, there are two things the mark of Cain did and just as important two things it did not do for Cain.

1. A "varying" level of protection for Cain from death/vengeance Gen.14-15
2. Watch Cain. Job 10:14 & 39:1 and Gen. 4 See Note 1
3. No forgiveness. Job 10:14 and Gen. 4
4. No protection from justice. Gen. 4:14/15 See Note 2

Note 1: Gen 4: Cain believed that fratricide would keep his face hidden from the Lord, the Lord seemed to agree with him. Cain's mark seems to ensure that the Lord is able to watch him. The Lord either could not or did not want to watch the murderer Cain, but the Lord seems okay with "watching" perhaps monitoring his mark.

Note 2: There is no mention of Cain being pardoned, given mercy or forgiven yet he freely lives. The Lord had standing to administer Justice to Cain certainly upon his death, and perhaps under the right circumstances, the Lord and perhaps others could judge Cain prior to his death.

What type of mark could do all of the above?

I suggest that Cain is marked inside with an angel. The angel provides protection from vengeance, but Cain is in no way forgiven. The angel is a constant reminder to Cain that he is being monitored closely and Judgement could come at any time. The Lord can "watch" the mark without seeing the murderer Cain, which would greatly comfort the Lord. The mark has its own spirit that gives it a level of autonomy. Cain's mark monitors the events that occur in Cain's life, if an event in Cain's life is a vengeful act against him, the mark can intervene to protect Cain, as the Lord wished. In the event of a just act against Cain, the mark could allow it to run its course. The mark was only there to protect against vengeance and or death.

An angel as a mark checks all the boxes. It would accomplish all the tasks that the Lord desired. The term, "the angel of the Lord" is used about 80 times in the NKJ Bible. The Lord is using angels in a lot of different places and for a lot of different reasons. The term "the angel of God" is another 62 times that God is using His angels. The term "his angels" another 24 times. And there are more instances of angels doing the Trinity's bidding. Having an angel watch Cain seems like a good fit for an angel to accomplish the Lords wishes.

Was Cain marked with an Angel? I don't know, maybe? All I know is it makes more sense than any other theory I have ever heard of, so until I hear of a better answer to Gen 4:15, I say marked with an angel.

Cain being marked with an angel also explains a future event in Gen. 6:2. In my Novel Killing Abel, Gen 6:2 “that the sons of God saw the daughters of men” is easily and literally explained with the consequences of the angel that occupies Cain.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Personally, I have never heard any convincing explanation as to what was the mark of Cain.

Here is what I think Cain's mark was.

The most common English translations for the operative phrase in Gen 4:15 are below.

Set a mark,
put a mark
put a sign
placed a mark
put a special mark &
(1) appointed a sign

There is one translation that says “set a sign in Cain”, this one best fits my proposed answer to Cain's mark. It is from the Wycliffe Bible, it says “And the Lord set a sign in Cain,”

Where else, in the Bible, is the word "mark" relevant to Gen:4?

I find it relevant twice in Job.

1. Job 10:14

NKJV "If I sin, then You mark me, And will not acquit me, And will not acquit me of my iniquity."

There are several translations of the same Job passage that take the word "mark" and use "watch" in its place.

One example of many: ISV "If I sin, you watch me and won't acquit me for my iniquity."

The many English translations of Job 10 indicate to me that “mark” can mean to keep “watch” of the marked person. Both Job 10:14 and Gen 4 make it very clear that a mark(ed) person is in no way forgiven.

2. Job 39:1, of the many translations, KJV uses the word mark while many other translations use the word "seen" or "watch".

With these two examples from Job where "mark" is translated also as "watch", "watch" would be in a Bible thesaurus for the term "mark".

In Gen. 4, there are two things the mark of Cain did and just as important two things it did not do for Cain.

1. A "varying" level of protection for Cain from death/vengeance Gen.14-15
2. Watch Cain. Job 10:14 & 39:1 and Gen. 4 See Note 1
3. No forgiveness. Job 10:14 and Gen. 4
4. No protection from justice. Gen. 4:14/15 See Note 2

Note 1: Gen 4: Cain believed that fratricide would keep his face hidden from the Lord, the Lord seemed to agree with him. Cain's mark seems to ensure that the Lord is able to watch him. The Lord either could not or did not want to watch the murderer Cain, but the Lord seems okay with "watching" perhaps monitoring his mark.

Note 2: There is no mention of Cain being pardoned, given mercy or forgiven yet he freely lives. The Lord had standing to administer Justice to Cain certainly upon his death, and perhaps under the right circumstances, the Lord and perhaps others could judge Cain prior to his death.

What type of mark could do all of the above?

I suggest that Cain is marked inside with an angel. The angel provides protection from vengeance, but Cain is in no way forgiven. The angel is a constant reminder to Cain that he is being monitored closely and Judgement could come at any time. The Lord can "watch" the mark without seeing the murderer Cain, which would greatly comfort the Lord. The mark has its own spirit that gives it a level of autonomy. Cain's mark monitors the events that occur in Cain's life, if an event in Cain's life is a vengeful act against him, the mark can intervene to protect Cain, as the Lord wished. In the event of a just act against Cain, the mark could allow it to run its course. The mark was only there to protect against vengeance and or death.

An angel as a mark checks all the boxes. It would accomplish all the tasks that the Lord desired. The term, "the angel of the Lord" is used about 80 times in the NKJ Bible. The Lord is using angels in a lot of different places and for a lot of different reasons. The term "the angel of God" is another 62 times that God is using His angels. The term "his angels" another 24 times. And there are more instances of angels doing the Trinity's bidding. Having an angel watch Cain seems like a good fit for an angel to accomplish the Lords wishes.

Was Cain marked with an Angel? I don't know, maybe? All I know is it makes more sense than any other theory I have ever heard of, so until I hear of a better answer to Gen 4:15, I say marked with an angel.

Cain being marked with an angel also explains a future event in Gen. 6:2. In my Novel Killing Abel, Gen 6:2 “that the sons of God saw the daughters of men” is easily and literally explained with the consequences of the angel that occupies Cain.

What does marked with an angel mean?

iamaberean

I could tell you, but you'd be better off to see for yourself.

Gen 3:13-15

Gen 28:6-9

John 8:42-47

1John 3:12

The scripture explains up to this point, from here you need to search the web, because the bible goes no further than 100 AD.