User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
Results 241 to 255 of 255

Thread: Display.exe: Posted to document the date of my invention

  1. #241
    You're reading it wrong. gcthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,221
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 392 Times in 270 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    325582
    So, we have a process which creates a huge amount of variation between images, and you have to select those with meaning, discarding the others.

    Sounds like a model for evolution by random mutation and natural selection.

  2. #242
    Over 3000 post club noguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Florida (a town that once catered to wealthy horse owners)
    Posts
    3,245
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    16481
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    So you are a follower of Bob? You and noguru?
    I do not follow any man (other than Christ), hence my screen name. But I am certainly not opposed to listening to what Enyart has to say on any subject. If I agree with him on a subject that is good. If I don't agree with him on a subject I still find that discovery to be positive, because he is very articulate and it certainly can't hurt me to hear his dissenting opinions.

    Oh and I don't agree with csuguy's claim that "only followers of Enyart took it seriously". I think csuguy was making more of a hyperbole, and saying that some Enyart followers might have taken it more seriously and without much critical analyses. That kind of faithful following tends to be much more prevalent with a captive audience.
    Militant Moderate

  3. #243
    Over 500 post club jeremysdemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1402
    Quote Originally Posted by csuguy View Post
    Actually, the program fails to accomplish its only real purpose: demonstrate the finiteness of man's creativity. (Feature #4 in the OP). Also, being in black and white only, it fails Feature #2 - displaying the pages from any and every book.
    I just want to know if can it actually show you the code for a program, and how that would be useful without knowing the way in which different functions are connected, eg. Pascal library (compiled to a dll) inside a Java wrapper (JNI), or the use of jitter.

    A lot of programs include open source, so it's not the code that one needs to find in order to make your own comparable program, it's how they access the native functions.

    keep shinin

    jerm

  4. #244
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    14,291
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 5,635 Times in 4,657 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1515647
    Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post
    So, we have a process which creates a huge amount of variation between images, and you have to select those with meaning, discarding the others. Sounds like a model for evolution by random mutation and natural selection.
    Yes, we all know that evolution needs an intelligent agent carefully selecting only the best changes in order for it to work.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

  5. #245
    You're reading it wrong. gcthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,221
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 392 Times in 270 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    325582
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Yes, we all know that evolution needs an intelligent agent carefully selecting only the best changes in order for it to work.


    I think you need reading glasses, Stripe.

    The lack of the ability to properly compete for resources is, of course, sufficient selection to weed you out of the gene pool. No intelligence is necessary to remove the slowest rabbit in a field; only a fox.

  6. #246
    Resident Gadfly. Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,976
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    510472
    Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post


    I think you need reading glasses, Stripe.

    The lack of the ability to properly compete for resources is, of course, sufficient selection to weed you out of the gene pool. No intelligence is necessary to remove the slowest rabbit in a field; only a fox.
    He's a troll. Don't waste your time.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  7. #247
    Over 750 post club csuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    985
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 96 Times in 74 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    25705
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
    I just want to know if can it actually show you the code for a program, and how that would be useful without knowing the way in which different functions are connected, eg. Pascal library (compiled to a dll) inside a Java wrapper (JNI), or the use of jitter.

    A lot of programs include open source, so it's not the code that one needs to find in order to make your own comparable program, it's how they access the native functions.

    keep shinin

    jerm
    It will inevitably produces image of the source code for any and every program, albeit in pieces. However, you have no way of knowing which images to connect to form which program. And the vast majority of what this program produces will be incoherent jibberish.
    If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

  8. #248
    Over 500 post club jeremysdemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1402
    Quote Originally Posted by csuguy View Post
    It will inevitably produces image of the source code for any and every program, albeit in pieces. However, you have no way of knowing which images to connect to form which program. And the vast majority of what this program produces will be incoherent jibberish.
    well it sounds like it has a use as an visual art form (by showing in picture form what symmetry programers create) but as you say useless to use for the connections and that is essentially what makes most programs unique that borrow source code from others.

    it's sounds like a simple way to chain functions together (like Usine or MAX/MSP) in a GUI, if the pictures themselves could retain a label of some sort of it's function, eg. string, module, library etc.

    keep shinin

    jerm

  9. #249
    Over 750 post club csuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    985
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 96 Times in 74 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    25705
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
    well it sounds like it has a use as an visual art form (by showing in picture form what symmetry programers create) but as you say useless to use for the connections and that is essentially what makes most programs unique that borrow source code from others.

    it's sounds like a simple way to chain functions together (like Usine or MAX/MSP) in a GUI, if the pictures themselves could retain a label of some sort of it's function, eg. string, module, library etc.

    keep shinin

    jerm
    The program has no way of evaluating its output. It doesn't know the difference between source code, a comic, a sheet of music, or the gibberish that it produces (which it is mostly gibberish). If it could, however, THEN it would be a pretty impressive program
    Last edited by csuguy; December 2nd, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

  10. #250
    Resident Gadfly. Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,976
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    510472
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  11. #251
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    14,291
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 5,635 Times in 4,657 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1515647
    Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post
    I think you need reading glasses, Stripe.
    Already have glasses that I wear full time.

    The lack of the ability to properly compete for resources is, of course, sufficient selection to weed you out of the gene pool. No intelligence is necessary to remove the slowest rabbit in a field; only a fox.
    Oh. So your comparison has lost some significant ground then.

    Care to try again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    He's a troll. Don't waste your time.
    Coward.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

  12. #252
    Rookie Mike C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    83
    What the program seems to provide is a modern accessible way for Open Theists (or anyone else) to consider the implications of human finitude. There's nothing groundbreaking about that, but if it facilitates an epiphany that a person would otherwise not obtain, it serves a useful purpose.

    The theory behind the program is that it can display anything that can be displayed. Through a simple extension of the thought experiment, one can examine the implications of a three dimensional model of the program. Extending further, one is opened to the possibility that all human experience is finite. Thus, all human experience present and future is computable by God.

    Even so, this would not imply that all human experience is determinable by God. Knowing all theoretical possibilities does not alone grant one the ability to know which temporal sequence will be actualized. The key issue is whether some occurrences are random in relation to God's knowledge, or whether all follow strictly determinable behavior.

    I believe the latter, but the former is not excluded by this thought experiment.
    James 3:17
    But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

  13. #253
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    14,291
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 5,635 Times in 4,657 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1515647
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

  14. #254
    1 Corinthians 4:15-16 KJV - patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    19,921
    Thanks
    7,956
    Thanked 9,897 Times in 8,289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    11
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147704
    i have no idea why or how i got to this thread, it's old - i can't remember why i clicked this
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:13, 14 -

  15. #255
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    14,291
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 5,635 Times in 4,657 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1515647
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    i have no idea why or how i got to this thread, it's old - i can't remember why i clicked this
    Have you recently taken a ride on a spaceship?

    And what is wrong with your signature?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us