Why was Paul on trial?

clefty

Why was Paul a prisoner?

Acts 23:

Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, “My brothers, I am a Pharisee, descended from Pharisees. I stand on trial because of the hope of the resurrection of the dead.” 7 When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8 (The Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, and that there are neither angels nor spirits, but the Pharisees believe all these things.

Nothing there about a change in the Law or abolishing of the OT.

Nothing there at all except preaching about One resurrected and the hope there is in that.

Oh sure lying jews wished to stir the people up against Paul and accuse that he taught against the Law and its Temple changing the customs of Moses but just like with Stephen who Paul witnessed stoned to death these accusations were FALSE.

Paul states again in front of Felix what the ONE charge against him is:

Acts 24:19

“But there are some Jews from the province of Asia, who ought to be here before you and bring charges if they have anything against me. 20 Or these who are here should state what crime they found in me when I stood before the Sanhedrin— 21 unless it was this one thing I shouted as I stood in their presence: ‘It is concerning the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today.’”

Again NOTHING there about Paul teaching the Law was abolished or changed...those were false charges and no witnesses were found to confirm them.

And again:

Acts 25:

When Paul came in, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood around him. They brought many serious charges against him, but they could not prove them.

8 Then Paul made his defense: “I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar.”

If Paul taught the Law was changed abrogated and their customs altered he could NOT have claimed his innocence.

What was that the ONE charge that stuck?

Certainly NOT that he taught the law and customs of Moses were changed...if that was the case it would have been proven.

And yet Christendom has stumbled ever after these jewish FALSE accusations.

Paul merely preached that One named Yahushua was resurrected...and the hope there in....

HalleluYah

Last edited:

clefty

The same happened earlier with Peter and John:

Acts 4:

“They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people, proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3 They seized Peter and John and, because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day.

17 But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name.”

18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.“

Again NOTHING there about Peter and John teaching that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week, or that the festivals were abolished or that unclean food was to be eaten...

Only that in ONE name...was there a hope...

clefty

Paul admits:

Acts 24:

13Nor can they prove to you any of their charges against me. 14I do confess to you, however, that I worship the God of our fathers according to the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15and I have the same hope in God that they themselves cherish, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.…

So there it is again...none of the law was changed or abolished...he still went to Sabbath services kept festivals and ate kosher...the issue remains One resurrected...not that the OT was fulfilled or abolished

That he taught against the customs of Moses was false witness of him by the slandering jews...

And christians believe these jewish fables...

clefty

The book of Acts concludes with Paul STILL teaching

Acts 28:23
So they set a day to meet with Paul, and many people came to the place he was staying. He expounded to them from morning to evening, testifying about the kingdom of God and persuading them about Jesus from the Law of Moses and the Prophets.

Nothing there about how all of it the OT was changed...finished...completed...irrelevant to the believers life and walk...

The issue now became it went to the gentiles because it was rejected by the slandering jews...

As John revealed “Here are they that keep the commandments of Yah and the faith OF Yahushua...” not just faith in Him but followed Him...His way...His faith

clefty

What did Paul preach?

Acts 9:20

Immediately he preached the Christ in the synagogues, that He is the Son of God”

Yup NOTHING there about the Law changed or customs and traditions of their ancestors ended...

But only One resurrected...

And for only that the jews plotted to kill him...verse 23

Imagine if Paul had been teaching “Oh and about all that nonsense of the seventh day Sabbath, the festivals on His calendar, or not eating pig...forget about all that!...all that is done with...”

Imagine the riots and disturbances at the temple that teaching would have caused...

Of which Paul concluded himself there were none...as he did not preach against the Law or its Temple...

clefty

Acts 26:...”They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee. 6 And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our ancestors that I am on trial today. 7 This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night. King Agrippa, it is because of this hope that these Jews are accusing me. 8 Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead?”

Sadly none of the jews were willing to testify that Paul conformed to the strictest sect of their religion known as the Way...which he followed...

So what was the hope of their ancestors? Freedom from the Law? To have it abolished? To worship on Sundays? To eat pork?

This Hope is why Paul says he was on trial...

A hope all 12 of the tribes wished to see...is why they obeyed...served...

Why indeed is it incredible that Yah raises the dead?

See? nothing there about having laws or customs changed...

If Paul was teaching that...well...then there would be case against him...but of that none of the slandering jews could prove...

Yet Christianity seems to think so and believing slandering jews their myths and false witnesses in turn accuses Paul of having done exactly that...as if he didnt say we establish Law...

Paul insists

“First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds. 21 That is why some Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me.”

Yup nothing there at all about their customs were changed...

But that ALL might receive forgiveness of sins...revealed by His eternal Law..

Last edited:

clefty

The slander of the jews against Paul grew so extensive other believing jews were concerned that this false testimony was true...

Acts 21 has Paul approached by James and the elders to inquire of him...

Verse 20...You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law.

Imagine that...believers of the New Covenant STILL zealous for the Law...

“21 They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. 22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law. 25 As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.”

26 The next day Paul took the men and purified himself along with them. Then he went to the temple to give notice of the date when the days of purification would end and the offering would be made for each of them.”

So there it is again...Paul proved he was not teaching the Law was abolished

And even affirming what was decided in Acts 15 about what to expect of the converting gentiles crowding into their synagogues every Sabbath to hear Moses read to them...

Paul was NOT teaching them to worship on Sundays and then eat Ham dinners...

Instead he insisted we “copy me as I copy Christ”...

Sadly Christendom believes and follows after lying jews who claimed he did teach the law was done away with...

clefty

“Slander?” I hear TOL ask...”What slander were the jews attempting on Paul?”

The very same they began with Stephen prior his getting stoned.

Acts 6 describes how Stephen’s wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke. So they secretly induced men to say they heard him speak blasphemous things against Moses and God.

And they stirred up the people, the elders, and scribes...

Verse 13 They also set up false witnesses who claimed Stephen spoke against the holy place and the law...

“We heard him say that this Jesus will...change the customs which Moses delivered to us”

Yup but they were false witnesses...meaning they LIED...so Stephen did NOT teach the customs were changed by Jesus...

And yet most of Christendom teaches that very thing...well 9 of the 10 are accepted but that seventh day Sabbath thingy was changed IS EXACTLY JEWISH MYTH

Titus was instructed to reject jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth...

And still some claim the law abolished or changed because they were given the authority to do so...