2 Cor 4.4 (Jesus, The God of this age!)

way 2 go

εν οις ο θεος του αιωνος τουτου ετυφλωσεν τα νοηματα των απιστων εις το μη αυγασαι τον φωτισμον του ευαγγελιου της δοξης του χριστου ος εστιν εικων του θεου

en hois ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou etyphlōsen ta noēmata tōn apistōn eis to mē augasai ton phōtismon tou euangeliou tēs doxes tou Christou hos estin eikōn tou Theou

In whom The God of this age has blinded the thoughts of the unbelieving, so that the brightness of the gospel of The Glory, The Christ who is the image of God, should not dawn on them. (2 Cor 4.4)

Contrary to popular modern belief, ‘The God of this age’, (ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou), actually pertains to Jesus Christ and NOT Satan, and provides yet another potent scriptural proof for Jesus’ deity.

Outside of 2 Cor 4.4, the only other inflections of ‘blinded’ (i.e. etyphlōsen & etyphlōken), used in the entire NT, are located in John 12, and 1 John 2, and have Jesus as the subject:

• John 12 records that Isaiah wrote about Jesus, ‘The Arm of God’, ‘His Glory’ as blinding the thoughts of the unbelievers.

• 1 John 2 records without Jesus’ light, the unbelievers are blinded.

Contextually, the epithets contained within 2 Cor 4, including Theos, relate to Jesus…not to Satan.

:nono:
disagree

"this world" is the key

Joh_14:30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming

Joh_18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting,

1Co_3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God.

Co_4:4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers,

Mar_4:15 And these are those by the wayside, where the Word is sown. And when they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the Word that was sown in their hearts.

glorydaz

None of the above.

Well, then how would you describe Him?

God, Himself, called the Son, "God". You'd think He'd know.

Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.​

Thomas called Him, "My Lord and my God."

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
disagree

"this world" is the key

Joh_14:30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming

Joh_18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting,

Co_4:4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers,

Mar_4:15 And these are those by the wayside, where the Word is sown. And when they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the Word that was sown in their hearts.

Why elevate satan to godhood.

Kingdom here is the key.

Jesus' kingdom is not of this world.

Satan's is.

He is a ruler, not a god.

However he is greater in power and might than you and I are together or alone.

glorydaz

disagree

"this world" is the key

I think "this world" is important, too, but have you ever looked at this in the Jewish Bible?

2 Corinthians 4:4
4 They do not come to trust because the god of the ‘olam hazeh has blinded their minds, in order to prevent them from seeing the light shining from the Good News about the glory of the Messiah, who is the image of God.​

This from wikipedia...

Adon Olam, meaning "Master of the World," one of the names of God in Judaism. Tikkun olam (Hebrew: תִּיקוּן עוֹלָם), is a Hebrew phrase that means, 'repairing,' 'healing,' or 'perfecting' 'the world.' Olam Haba, the world to come (Jewish afterlife) Olam Ha-Zeh (Hebrew: עוֹלָם הַזֶּ֗ה), Hebrew for "this world"

Also, God has always, and will always rule in the kingdom of men.

Daniel 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.​

glorydaz

Why elevate satan to godhood.

Kingdom here is the key.

Jesus' kingdom is not of this world.

Satan's is.

He is a ruler, not a god.

However he is greater in power and might than you and I are together or alone.

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

John 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.​

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

John 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.​

:rotfl:

glorydaz

How many times have you heard me speak of oneness,you who thinks I should be at your knee?

Well, first off, I don't think you should be at my knee...whatever that means.

And second, I didn't associate what you say with "oneness" nor do I, as yet, know what oneness means. Is that Arian?

So, I'll ask again. You do not believe Jesus is DEITY at all? Only human?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Well, first off, I don't think you should be at my knee...whatever that means.

And second, I didn't associate what you say with "oneness" nor do I, as yet, know what oneness means. Is that Arian?

So, I'll ask again. You do not believe Jesus is DEITY at all? Only human?

I'm not into isms, including Arian.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Well, there ya go. I don't know what Oneness is and that link didn't really tell me anything except they squabbled over the words.

So, do you think Jesus was or is only a human being? Like Moses etal?

As ole Arnold Murray used to say: "Put it on a shelf for now."