Trump could be the most honest president in modern history

fool

Hall of Fame
A friend of mine was talking about the Trump/Russia business. I told him that I've never been on board with the Russian/White House collusion angle.

I think the president has a hard enough time colluding with his own cabinet.

Can you imagine him and that sieve of a White House keeping that big a secret for more than a day, day and half?

He got 3 million fewer votes and spent half as much money and he won.
I continue to be baffled by people who think he's stupid.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you really know many people who think he's stupid? I think he's amoral, ham-fisted, as sophisticated as a sock, and confusing the presidency with his former calling, but stupid he's not. Wharton men don't tend to be.

That said, I repeat my general point that I've seen no evidence that this White House could keep a secret of that magnitude to itself if it wanted to...

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Do you really know many people who think he's stupid? I think he's amoral, ham-fisted, as sophisticated as a sock, and confusing the presidency with his former calling, but stupid he's not. Wharton men don't tend to be.

That said, I repeat my general point that I've seen no evidence that this White House could keep a secret of that magnitude to itself if it wanted to...

You don't think that Donald Trump is stupid?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why do you think that Donald Trump is not stupid?
I don't have a hard opinion on how intelligent Trump is, but I know that Wharton doesn't tend to admit people who can't do at least some heavy lifting, intellectually speaking. My brother was a Wharton man and I know a number of them. Unless he was over the wire as a legacy or through some endorsement I'm unaware of, that means he must have something on the ball.

I also gave you the gist of that in the quote you don't actually appear to have read, given the nature of your two inquiries in its wake.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
My brother was a Wharton man and I know a number of them. Unless he was over the wire as a legacy or through some endorsement I'm unaware of, that means he must have something on the ball.

I also gave you the gist of that in the quote you don't actually appear to have read, given the nature of your two inquiries in its wake.

You said "Wharton men are rarely stupid."

Is that your entire reason for thinking that Trump isn't stupid? Because he attended Wharton?

Two obvious points:

1. His father was LOADED.

2. Even if he wasn't stupid when he was younger, you don't think that he both could have, and probably did, suffer cognitive decline in his old age?

I guess what I am asking is: what current evidence do you have, based on anything that you've heard about Trump recently (within the past few years), that leads you to think that Trump is "like a smart person"?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Spoken in a slightly different manner:

He won as the Republican nominee. The Republican voter base aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Just saying.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You said "Wharton men are rarely stupid."
I wrote, "...but stupid he's not. Wharton men don't tend to be."

Then I wrote, "Wharton doesn't tend to admit people who can't do at least some heavy lifting, intellectually speaking. My brother was a Wharton man and I know a number of them."

Now I know that the SAT scores for entrance are around 1500, which translates to a fairly strong IQ score, at least back in the day. And I know the cut of Wharton men from personal experience in support of the rule. But I also know Trump didn't get in that way, that he transfered from Fordham, which allowed him to side-step that particular. Still, if you graduate you did the work and that says something. At the very least it tells me he is a far cry from stupid.

Is that your entire reason for thinking that Trump isn't stupid? Because he attended Wharton?
I don't really need to have a particular reason. It could be something as general as an impression. But Wharton is a fairly strong indicator that the president is anything but stupid, other flaws notwithstanding.

Even if he wasn't stupid when he was younger, you don't think that he both could have, and probably did, suffer cognitive decline in his old age?
Meaningful cognitive decline isn't inevitable in those who keep mentally and physically active, and absent evidence of it I won't suppose it.

I guess what I am asking is: what current evidence do you have, based on anything that you've heard about Trump recently (within the past few years), that leads you to think that Trump is "like a smart person"?
I think you have your inquiry backwards. There's every reason to think him intelligent and little to bring the matter into question. One thing he noted not that long ago that I read about somewhere, in passing, was referring to the FBI building as brutalist in its architectural nature. That's a fairly sophisticated measure/recognition/application of prior knowledge.

Why are you interested in his mental acuity?

wonderdog

One of countless examples:

Is Anyone Surprised Trump Doesn’t Know the Difference Between Baltic States and the Balkans?

"When President Donald Trump met with Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds Vējonis of Latvia earlier this year, he started with a criticism. At the White House in April, Trump opened by chastising the Baltic leaders for starting the war in the 1990s that ended with the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. The Baltic leaders were apparently very confused and it took them “a moment” to realize that the commander in chief was confusing Baltic states with the Balkans, reported French newspaper Le Monde."

continued

It wouldn't be that big a deal if it was a simple gaffe. He's mixed up or made up names of countries and world leaders before. Maybe some of those times, he was aware of what country he was talking about and just made a slip. It happens to all Presidents. But 1) how many times can he make these mistakes before it becomes a legitimate concern? And more importantly, 2) in this case, Trump was meeting with the leaders of these three countries and still didn't know what countries he was talking about. He'd, in some bizarre sense, prepared what he wanted to berate them about, accusing them them of starting a war that they had nothing to do with, and he still had no idea what countries he was talking to them about, or of what countries they were leaders of.

Plus, he obviously didn't have the sense to meet with any of his advisors (or if he did, he obviously didn't listen to anything they said) about what he was going to these leaders about about.

So maybe he's not stupid in the sense of having become the president of the United States. It takes a lot of savvy and some kind of smarts to be a major grifter. He made it through college (who knows, maybe on his own and not just because of his dad's wealth). He didn't lose the hundreds of millions of dollars his father gave him (though it might have been stupid to brag that his father only gave him a "small" one million loan when it was actually hundreds of millions of dollars - or maybe it was smart because his voters believed the lie). But in terms of actually being the President of the United States, understanding what's going on around him, he's a full-on idiot.

If you're baffled by that... Well, that's fortunate for him, and no doubt something he's counting on.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... in terms of actually being the President of the United States, understanding what's going on around him, he's a full-on idiot.

"idiot" to me conveys a different meaning than it apparently does to you

to use your usage, hillary was an idiot when she was secretary of state, because she performed the job poorly

but i wouldn't choose that usage

much more accurate to say that hillary was a failure as secretary of state, or (if you believe he is) that trump is a failure at being POTUS, or that he's incompetent at the job

to call him an idiot, to me, is to call into question his native intelligence, which is beyond dispute

and if you think he's incompetent as POTUS, let me remind you that he's been doing the job for less than two years, a job for which he had no previous experience