What is the Tanakh

Myrrhcask

Jacob said:
"I do not know about the validity of what you have said.

"I do know that though covenant and testament are different words they are often used interchangeably.

"I do not know if the Septuagint, written in Greek, was an Old Covenant or Old Testament. Perhaps these are English words. I do not know what is meant by Modern Languages. I do not know Latin.

"I believe that the Bible has been translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, to English, but what does this say of or for the TaNaK?"

I say:
Part of the last paragraph got lost.

You may want to look up the history of the Bible on Wikipedia or in an encyclopedia to check the validity of what I am saying.

You are right that testament and covenant used interchangeably. They mean the same thing. But term Old Covenant, referring to the Tanakh scriptures, is rarely used today. We usually say Old Testament. However, both Old Testament and Old Covenant mean the same thing, the whole Tanakh. Both are English words.

Modern languages means languages that we speak today like English, French, and Italian. Latin is the ancient language spoken by the Romans. No one really speaks Latin today.

The Old Testament is the same as the Tanakh just with a different order of the books. There are Old Testaments in Hebrew. There is also the Hebrew Tanakh which follows the traditional order of books. Modern translations in the Bible are made from the earliest authenticated copies of books written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

I hope this helpful.

שלום

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob said:
"I do not know about the validity of what you have said.

"I do know that though covenant and testament are different words they are often used interchangeably.

"I do not know if the Septuagint, written in Greek, was an Old Covenant or Old Testament. Perhaps these are English words. I do not know what is meant by Modern Languages. I do not know Latin.

"I believe that the Bible has been translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, to English, but what does this say of or for the TaNaK?"

I say:
Part of the last paragraph got lost.

You may want to look up the history of the Bible on Wikipedia or in an encyclopedia to check the validity of what I am saying.

You are right that testament and covenant used interchangeably. They mean the same thing. But term Old Covenant, referring to the Tanakh scriptures, is rarely used today. We usually say Old Testament. However, both Old Testament and Old Covenant mean the same thing, the whole Tanakh. Both are English words.

Modern languages means languages that we speak today like English, French, and Italian. Latin is the ancient language spoken by the Romans. No one really speaks Latin today.

The Old Testament is the same as the Tanakh just with a different order of the books. There are Old Testaments in Hebrew. There is also the Hebrew Tanakh which follows the traditional order of books. Modern translations in the Bible are made from the earliest authenticated copies of books written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

I hope this helpful.

שלום

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 11-12, until sundown, the conclusion or end of day.

In the New American Standard Bible you can read about the reading of the Old Covenant or whenever the Old Covenant is read. In the New King James Version it says Old Testament instead. I do not know which one was written first.

This is all I have to say.

Shalom.

Jacob

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 11-12, until sundown, the conclusion or end of day.

In the New American Standard Bible you can read about the reading of the Old Covenant or whenever the Old Covenant is read. In the New King James Version it says Old Testament instead. I do not know which one was written first.

This is all I have to say.

Shalom.

Jacob

That is a complex question.

The King James Bible was one of the earliest English translations of the whole Bible, done in around 1600 CE. It uses the term Old Testament.

The New American Standard translation was done around 1900 CE. You said it uses the term Old Covenant.

The New King James updated the language of the King James translation in about 1980 CE. It uses the term Old Testament.

The TaNaK came first. The English translations used the TaNaK as their source text.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That is a complex question.

The King James Bible was one of the earliest English translations of the whole Bible, done in around 1600 CE. It uses the term Old Testament.

The New American Standard translation was done around 1900 CE. You said it uses the term Old Covenant.

The New King James updated the language of the King James translation in about 1980 CE. It uses the term Old Testament.

The TaNaK came first. The English translations used the TaNaK as their source text.

Shalom.

There are different names for the TaNaK. I do not know if any of these names were used or applied before the words, names, or titles Old Covenant or Old Testament.

I do not have a New American Standard Bible to verify my words.

Shalom.

Jacob

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

There are different names for the TaNaK. I do not know if any of these names were used or applied before the words, names, or titles Old Covenant or Old Testament.

I do not have a New American Standard Bible to verify my words.

Shalom.

Jacob
I can think of a few other terms. But I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Here are some terms for the whole Bible:
Holy Writ
The Sacred Scriptures
The Holy Word
The Holy Word of God
God's Holy Word
The Word of God
The Revealed Word of God
The Word

Here are some terms for the Old Testament:
The Mosaic Law (which usually means the Torah, but may mean the whole OT just as the whole TaNak is sometimes called Torah.)
The Hebrew Scriptures
The Old Testament Scrolls
The Writings of the Prophets

I am sure there are others.

Some terms have specific meanings. For example, the Westminster Leningrad Codex is the name of a copy of the TaNaK that has been digitized and is widely used in Bible translation. A codex is like a book made of sewn together parchment pages as opposed to a scroll of continuous sheets.

שלום

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I can think of a few other terms. But I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Here are some terms for the whole Bible:
Holy Writ
The Sacred Scriptures
The Holy Word
The Holy Word of God
God's Holy Word
The Word of God
The Revealed Word of God
The Word

Here are some terms for the Old Testament:
The Mosaic Law (which usually means the Torah, but may mean the whole OT just as the whole TaNak is sometimes called Torah.)
The Hebrew Scriptures
The Old Testament Scrolls
The Writings of the Prophets

I am sure there are others.

Some terms have specific meanings. For example, the Westminster Leningrad Codex is the name of a copy of the TaNaK that has been digitized and is widely used in Bible translation. A codex is like a book made of sewn together parchment pages as opposed to a scroll of continuous sheets.

שלום

Shalom.

I meant the TaNaK, the TaNaKh, the Tanakh, and the Tanach.

I am done for the day. Day ends at sundown which is when the calendar day ends.

Shalom.

Jacob

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

I meant the TaNaK, the TaNaKh, the Tanakh, and the Tanach.

I am done for the day. Day ends at sundown which is when the calendar day ends.

Shalom.

Jacob
Ok. Most English speakers will not understand the word "Tenach" in any of its spellings. (And how to spell Hebrew words in English has not been standardized, which is why there are so many different spellings of it. I can't decide on one either.) But people will understand you if you say the Old Testament or the Jewish Bible.

שלום.
לילה טוב

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Ok. Most English speakers will not understand the word "Tenach" in any of its spellings. (And how to spell Hebrew words in English has not been standardized, which is why there are so many different spellings of it. I can't decide on one either.) But people will understand you if you say the Old Testament or the Jewish Bible.

שלום.
לילה טוב

Yes, Tanak simply means Old Testament.

beameup

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets - Matthew 7:12

Torah ("Teaching", 5 Books of Moses),
Nevi'im ("Prophets")
Ketuvim ("Writings")
=TaNaKh.

Myrrhcask

Yes, Tanak simply means Old Testament.
Thanks.

This is a continuation thread, primarily for me to answer Jacob's questions, so we didn't hijack Squeaky's thread about the Tenach. English is not Jacob's first language, so I was trying to fill in some gaps. Feel free to help.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Thanks.

This is a continuation thread, primarily for me to answer Jacob's questions, so we didn't hijack Squeaky's thread about the Tenach. English is not Jacob's first language, so I was trying to fill in some gaps. Feel free to help.

I said
You done a good job. It has always sadden me to see people fighting over the same thing because of different terminology.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

שלום.
לילה טוב

Shalom.

Boker Tov. Today is Sheni, 11-13. It is Yom, Day.

I do not know what you mean by saying the Jewish Bible.

I do not know why you use the spelling Tenach.

Is the Jewish Bible the Torah? Or, is it the TaNaK?

You may have implied that the Old Testament and the Jewish Bible, though not the same, comprise the same material. But this is using a lot of words that you may not be comfortable with.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Thanks.

Hebrew would be my first language then, and I am learning Hebrew.