For You Who Do Not Know What The Tnakh Is

chair

The talmud contains the teachings and opinion of thousand of rabbis on a variety of subjects. It is a collection of rabbinical writings that interpret, and explain the Torah scriptures to their own liking. Judaism and the talmud reject Jesus as the Messiah.

Judaism and the Talmud mostly ignore Jesus. We don't "reject" him. Accepting Jesus is not a default condition. Do you "reject " Asclepius?

beameup

The Orthodox Jews traditionally study more Talmud than Tanach. Why? Who knows.
The "Orthodox" derived from the Pharisees.
The Karaite Jews still adhere to the Tanakh only.
The Essenes became belivers in Yeshua Messiah.

Not sure what became of the Sadducees.

Myrrhcask

Judaism and the Talmud mostly ignore Jesus. We don't "reject" him. Accepting Jesus is not a default condition. Do you "reject " Asclepius?
Since we are in a Christian theology only forum, yes, Jesus is the default condition.

But to be clear, as I understand it pre-rabbinic or pre-Talmudic Judaism is the religion of Jesus and his first century followers. He, in fact, advocated a return to pre-rabbinic faith and practice, having rejected not Judaism but some of the false teachings of the rabbis. That is not to say that all rabbinic teachings were false, but some clearly were according to Jesus.(I'm thinking here of Akiba, whereas I've heard Rambam has much of interest to say--not that I can read either in the originals.)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

chair

Since we are in a Christian theology only forum, yes, Jesus is the default condition. ...

No. It is the default position for Christians, but not for others. The idea that anybody who is not Christian has "rejected" Jesus is wrong.

daqq

Since we are in a Christian theology only forum, yes, Jesus is the default condition.

As I understand it this is the "Religion" section of the forum and thus all religions are open to discussion. As far as "a Christian theology only forum" I think that is the ECT board at the top of the main page, ("Exclusive Christian Theology").

Myrrhcask

As I understand it this is the "Religion" section of the forum and thus all religions are open to discussion. As far as "a Christian theology only forum" I think that is the ECT board at the top of the main page, ("Exclusive Christian Theology").
I stand corrected ... I guess. I honestly can't tell which forum I'm in on this app. I thought it was ECT. Oh, well. With apologies.

daqq

The "Orthodox" derived from the Pharisees.
The Karaite Jews still adhere to the Tanakh only.
The Essenes became belivers in Yeshua Messiah.

Not sure what became of the Sadducees.

The Qumran Community was primarily overseen and administered by Kohanim and Levites, (Zadokite brethren of the "Sadducees" in Jerusalem, but vehemently opposed to the views of the Sadducee sect, and thus the separation). Moreover they called their community Damascus, (Damesek, likely because they understood dam-mes(h)ek to mean "blood inheritor"). In the days of Saul/Paul it is not likely that Jerusalem had authority to bind in Damascus Syria, but rather, it was more likely the other way around. Therefore which Damascus was it that Saul went to in Acts 9:1-8? Jerusalem surely had authority to bind in Damascus-Qumran.

Myrrhcask

No. It is the default position for Christians, but not for others. The idea that anybody who is not Christian has "rejected" Jesus is wrong.
Some, to be sure, have never heard the good news that is the story of Jesus, so they cannot be said to have rejected it. That is true. And some have never heard the story rightly presented. Perhaps they have not rejected it either, since they have never heard the real truth. But there are others who refuse to hear because of preconceived ideas they have, so they never take the time to sincerely investigate Jesus' story. Those have truly rejected him--having judged him beforehand.

Myrrhcask

The Qumran Community was primarily overseen and administered by Kohanim and Levites, (Zadokite brethren of the "Sadducees" in Jerusalem, but vehemently opposed to the views of the Sadducee sect, and thus the separation). Moreover they called their community Damascus, (Damesek, likely because they understood dam-mes(h)ek to mean "blood inheritor"). In the days of Saul/Paul it is not likely that Jerusalem had authority to bind in Damascus Syria, but rather, it was more likely the other way around. Therefore which Damascus was it that Saul went to in Acts 9:1-8? Jerusalem surely had authority to bind in Damascus-Qumran.
Interesting! But unless Qumran also had a street called Straight, I think we can conclude Paul went to Syria.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
You two are too much.

But for the sake of clarity, the Tanach is the same as the Old Testament, the books are just grouped a little differently.

The whole Mesopotamian thing has nothing to do with it--despite what some higher criticism people would like us to believe.

The note about the Oral Torah was interesting. That is where the Talmud came from--a writing down of the Oral Law in Hebrew and then explaining it in Aramaic. The Orthodox Jews traditionally study more Talmud than Tanach. Why? Who knows.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

I said
Thanks for the information about the old testament I didn't know that. But that could be why I didn't understand it.

daqq

Interesting! But unless Qumran also had a street called Straight, I think we can conclude Paul went to Syria.

Traverse upon(over the length of) the way(avenue-street) which is called straightWay. :chuckle:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

But to be clear, as I understand it pre-rabbinic or pre-Talmudic Judaism is the religion of Jesus and his first century followers. He, in fact, advocated a return to pre-rabbinic faith and practice, having rejected not Judaism but some of the false teachings of the rabbis. That is not to say that all rabbinic teachings were false, but some clearly were according to Jesus.(I'm thinking here of Akiba, whereas I've heard Rambam has much of interest to say--not that I can read either in the originals.)

I said
I know Jesus very well. The reason I look at different things is to see if I can believe in anything else. lol I cant.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
You see now there is another piece of knowledge I didn't have. That Sadducees were of the Qumran.

God's Truth

Jesus came to fulfill the old law, and give the guidelines for the new law and testament. Then he shed his blood on the cross for the new testament/covenant.

Myrrhcask

I said
I know Jesus very well. The reason I look at different things is to see if I can believe in anything else. lol I cant.
I, on the other hand, may not look for other things to believe in, but I can see Jesus, the Truth, in many places. Sometimes unexpected places. It is fun to see how God has "infected" everything with tiny revelations of himself. I know infected isn't really the right word, but it seems more active than, "He has left reminders." And I like the idea that God is at work undermining the false systems of Man's thinking.

Myrrhcask

I said
You see now there is another piece of knowledge I didn't have. That Sadducees were of the Qumran.
Sorry, but that is not what he said. I don't know if it is accurate, but he said the two groups were related genetically, brethren, but opposed to one another in terms of teaching. Just wanted to clarify.

daqq

I said

No, the Sadducees, (Tzaddukim), were rulers at Jerusalem in that time; and the ruling families of the Priests, (and many of the wealthy families also), were primarily of the Sadducee mindset, (a sectarian disposition). However the Zadokites, (Tzaddokim), were physical brethren and sons of Tzadok the Kohen or Priest. The term Sadducee may or may not actually refer to Zadokites, (though most assume that is what the term refers to). Those of the priesthood that were of the Sadducee mindset where likely also flesh and blood Zadokites, (but not necessarily).