Quitting Smoking

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What did help me was saying "this addiction is not greater than Jesus"
Thank you I need the encouragement. Thanks to all of you for sharing stories and suggestions, it really helps me. I'm going to start by not having any within reach or even in the house.

Danoh

What did help me was saying "this addiction is not greater than Jesus"

That reminds me of something I once did with a Believer who was subject to PTSD flashbacks.

First, I led him through a thorough study on who he was in Christ, and made sure he was clear on that through various questions.

I then basically said to him 'now from here on out, all you have to do is to choose to walk by faith in that, whenever you experience a flashback....'

'And you do that by rehearsing before you need it...simply reminding yourself "that is not who I am in Christ now; I'm a son of God; blessed with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places; accepted in the Beloved..." and so on...'

That worked for him, that simple reminder that "this is not who I am in Christ anymore..."

Call that Pauline Psychology 101. :thumb:

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Its just a matter of doing so "in remembrance of me" - for by that you do "ye do shew the Lord's death till he come" 1 Cor. 11: 24, 25.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

It is that kind of a focus that then empowers....

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Man o man there is so much in The Word of Truth on this glorious victory that is ours, that it is next to impossible to stop glorying in it once one knows it and simply focuses on it!

All just a matter of a focus on "in memory of Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead."

2003cobra

I have been killing myself for decades. I just want to be free from cigarettes and breath fresh air again, but I keep waiting. I'm up to more than 2 packs a day everyday. I am so addicted and I think it's mostly mental, I think of a cigarette at all times, in fact I'm smoking one right now. I AM quitting soon, I've had enough. Anybody else hooked and wanting to quit and be free again? We can talk about it here !!!

I hope you are successful!

Robert Pate

Banned
I have been killing myself for decades. I just want to be free from cigarettes and breath fresh air again, but I keep waiting. I'm up to more than 2 packs a day everyday. I am so addicted and I think it's mostly mental, I think of a cigarette at all times, in fact I'm smoking one right now. I AM quitting soon, I've had enough. Anybody else hooked and wanting to quit and be free again? We can talk about it here !!!

After you get off of them you will think that is was the best thing that you ever did. I started smoking at 15 and stopped at 35. I did it and you can too.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
How's that going for ya, Peej?

Well, I hope. :thumb:

Rom. 5: 6-8.
Still smoking. I'm using the age old excuses. My aunt just died on January 22nd and it's been really stressful lately. One of our dogs (both going on 13) is suffering from diabetes, mostly blind now and has a bladder infection, losing weight and fading fast. I know I can do it and as far as I'm concerned, I have to. Thank you for thinking of me.

Danoh

Still smoking. I'm using the age old excuses. My aunt just died on January 22nd and it's been really stressful lately. One of our dogs (both going on 13) is suffering from diabetes, mostly blind now and has a bladder infection, losing weight and fading fast. I know I can do it and as far as I'm concerned, I have to. Thank you for thinking of me.

My condolences on your aunt...

And my sympathies on your dog.

Life-long pets being as much "family" as any other cherished member of one's immediate family....

You're in a rough spell, what with all that and your struggle with your addiction.

You matter.

Always.

Remind yourself of that.

Often.

Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

WatchmanOnTheWall

I only smoked for 7 years but hated it and tried several times to quit. I could only keep off them for about 3 months and would then go back. However, as soon as I received the Holy Spirit I couldn't smoke again; they tasted discussing. That was 20 years ago although strangely I kept occasionally smoking marijuana.

In 2011 I went to Israel (which was life changing) when I got back I found that I couldn't smoke marijuana either as it made me feel ill.

God did the same with drink soon after this. I wasn't alcoholic but I used to like a drink quiet often. One day in 2012 God spoke to me and said:

"I'm going to do something to you whether you like it or not."

I was surprised and eagerly awaited what was going to happen. About a week later I had some wine but the more I drank the worse I felt, till eventually I had to stop. I tried beer a few days later but that had the same effect. I haven't drunk more than communal wine since then and the odd glass of champagne at Christmas.

Also this Christmas I seem to have developed an allergy to Chocolate, which I was addicted to. I can't really eat that too now and I think God has done this.

The closer you get to God the more these types of addictions go away. I am not boasting as it was all God who did this. The glory is His but I say all this to encourage others to get closer to God so that they can be free of these things.

The truth will set you free.

Danoh

Problem...

James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Answer...

James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

How?

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Result?

Romans 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Hope?

When one's determined focus is that of Abraham's in the moment of his temptation in (and or by) his flesh...

Romans 4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be. 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb: 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

The above promises the above deliverance.

It is just a matter of deciding to be strong in faith towards said Word, in the very moment of the flesh's lie.

James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

For he that shall endure unto the end of his temptation, the same shall be saved, or delivered out of it, throughout it.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I only smoked for 7 years but hated it and tried several times to quit. I could only keep off them for about 3 months and would then go back. However, as soon as I received the Holy Spirit I couldn't smoke again; they tasted discussing. That was 20 years ago although strangely I kept occasionally smoking marijuana.

In 2011 I went to Israel (which was life changing) when I got back I found that I couldn't smoke marijuana either as it made me feel ill.

God did the same with drink soon after this. I wasn't alcoholic but I used to like a drink quiet often. One day in 2012 God spoke to me and said:

"I'm going to do something to you whether you like it or not."

I was surprised and eagerly awaited what was going to happen. About a week later I had some wine but the more I drank the worse I felt, till eventually I had to stop. I tried beer a few days later but that had the same effect. I haven't drunk more than communal wine since then and the odd glass of champagne at Christmas.

Also this Christmas I seem to have developed an allergy to Chocolate, which I was addicted to. I can't really eat that too now and I think God has done this.

The closer you get to God the more these types of addictions go away. I am not boasting as it was all God who did this. The glory is His but I say all this to encourage others to get closer to God so that they can be free of these things.

The truth will set you free.
I started the patches today.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

I had conquered the habit with the help of a really good vape. It is the best of all the replacement helps because it mimics the habit best. Never was a heavy smoker anyway.

When my wife died, I went back to it with a vengeance. Like I didn't care what happened to me. That got me going again. Then I regained my senses and went gradually back to the vape. It took time to get used to smoking in the beginning and it will take time to quit. Just remember that every day is an opportunity for you to allow the Lord to show you His strength.

I am convinced there is a lot more of the psychological in it than most realize. For me, solving a problem, accomplishing something, or just enjoying myself were powerful triggers. My psyche learned those associations over many years and I found I had to unlearn them.

All the best brother!
Send me a pm anytime if you just want to rant! lol

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I had conquered the habit with the help of a really good vape. It is the best of all the replacement helps because it mimics the habit best. Never was a heavy smoker anyway.

When my wife died, I went back to it with a vengeance. Like I didn't care what happened to me. That got me going again. Then I regained my senses and went gradually back to the vape. It took time to get used to smoking in the beginning and it will take time to quit. Just remember that every day is an opportunity for you to allow the Lord to show you His strength.

I am convinced there is a lot more of the psychological in it than most realize. For me, solving a problem, accomplishing something, or just enjoying myself were powerful triggers. My psyche learned those associations over many years and I found I had to unlearn them.

All the best brother!
Send me a pm anytime if you just want to rant! lol
It's been tough because I keep going to reach for one and they're not there. I think about it once a minute it seems like. I'm praying and thinking of all the positives. My health, saved money, the smell, the stigma and the thoughts in the back of my mind of what they were doing to me every time I lit up.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
It's been tough because I keep going to reach for one and they're not there. I think about it once a minute it seems like. I'm praying and thinking of all the positives. My health, saved money, the smell, the stigma and the thoughts in the back of my mind of what they were doing to me every time I lit up.

It is tough - very difficult. It's like trying to conquer yourself.

The weird thing is that it is a challenge that we created. Nobody else had a hand in it. We gradually built the city and now it needs to be torn down.