The Holy Spirit and the Gospel Verses the Law and Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pate

Banned
What the Gospel is to the New Testament Christian, the law is to the unsaved religious.

The conflict between Jesus and the Pharisees was of a spiritual nature. The Pharisees didn't need a Messiah. Their Messiah was the law. They were not interested in Jesus or his miracles, they were happy and content with the law. The law was their Jesus. When Jesus called them hypocrites they were crushed. No one had ever called them hypocrites. Don't sell the Pharisees short. They were professional religionist. They even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. Paul said that his life as a Pharisee was blameless, Philippians 3:6.

The problem with trying to be religious and keeping the law is that the law will cause one to sin. Listen to what Paul said about the law.

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust: except the law had said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came sin revived and I died and the commandment which was ordained to life I found to be unto death" Romans 7:7-10.

There is nothing wrong with the law. The law is not the real problem, the real problem is that we are sinners. When sinners are told not to do something they want to do it. God told Adam and Eve "Don't eat of the tree in the midst of the garden". Before God said that there was no concern about the tree in the midst of the garden. But now God said, "Don't eat of the tree in the midst of the garden". I am sure that they both had to go look at the tree.

Where there is law there is sin. Where there is law there is judgment and condemnation. This is why Paul said to the legalistic Galatians,

"Tell me that you desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? Galatians 4:21.

This is why Jesus in our name and on our behalf fulfilled the law and then abolished it. The law is contrary to us, no one can keep it or do it, Colossians 2:14. This is also why Paul said that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. and not by rules, laws or religion. The religious don't want to hear that the law has been abolished, because the law is their Jesus.

In the Gospel Jesus comes into to the world to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. His purpose is to provide salvation for fallen man. By his perfect sinless life he fulfills all of the demands of God's Holy Law. He does this in our name and on our behalf for our justification, Romans 3:26. Having fulfilled the law, he then abolished it, Ephesians 2:15. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we can now stand in God's Holy Court as justified. Where there is law there is judgment and condemnation.

"There is no condemnation to those that are "In Jesus Christ" Romans 8:1.

There is no condemnation because there is no law. We are now called to live by faith and the Holy Spirit and not the letter of the law. "The law kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6. The Holy Spirit and the Gospel are close companions. Where ever the Gospel is preached the Holy Spirit is there to convict people of their need for Christ. The law can also bring one to Christ, but after they become Christians the law is no longer needed, Galatians 3:24, 25.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Book of the Law was for Israel.

The law of Christ is for Christians.

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."
(Romans 8:2)

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
The Book of the Law was for Israel.

The law of Christ is for Christians.

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."
(Romans 8:2)

You don't understand the scripture.

To be "In Christ" means that the law has been fulfilled and abolished by Christ, Ephesians 2:15. We now stand before God as perfect and complete in Jesus Christ, Colossians 2:10. No more laws or rules. We now live by faith, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

Robert Pate

Banned
And you don't understand the purpose of Christ's resurrection.

Are you saying Christ is being judged?

If there was one sin that Jesus had not atoned for, or one jot or tittle of the law that was not fulfilled, Jesus would not be in heaven and we would all still be in our sins.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If there was one sin that Jesus had not atoned for, or one jot or tittle of the law that was not fulfilled, Jesus would not be in heaven and we would all still be in our sins.

You said Christ did it for us.

So why are we being judged if he did for us perfectly?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no judgment for Christians because the law has been abolished for the Christian, Romans 8:1 also Ephesians 2:15.

"And He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead." (Acts 10:42)

You say one thing, scripture says different.

Robert Pate

Banned
"And He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead." (Acts 10:42)

You say one thing, scripture says different.

There is no scripture that says Christians will be judged for their sins. All that are "In Christ" will escape the judgment.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No its not. That is works. Works do not save. If you want to be saved call on Christ to save you, Romans 10:13. Maybe you find that repulsive.

David Koresh called on the name of the LORD.

That means you believe he is saved.

How stupid is that?

john w

Hall of Fame

This is why Jesus in our name and on our behalf fulfilled the law and then abolished it. The law is contrary to us, no one can keep it or do it, Colossians 2:14. This is also why Paul said that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. and not by rules, laws or religion. The religious don't want to hear that the law has been abolished, because the law is their Jesus.

Sloppy Pate keeps spamming that satanic assertion, on every thread. Deceiver.

Post #12:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...y-Romans-4-5&p=5182503&highlight=#post5182503

Robert Pate

Banned
Sloppy Pate keeps spamming that satanic assertion, on every thread. Deceiver.

Post #12:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...y-Romans-4-5&p=5182503&highlight=#post5182503

Wakeup John W. Jesus came into the world to do for you that which you cannot do for yourself.

You cannot fulfill the law because you are a sinner. Jesus in your name and on your behalf fulfilled it for you. This is how you are justified. Jesus is your justifier, Romans 3:26.

Jesus did far more than dying on the cross for your sins. He justified you by his obedience to the law. You have half of the Gospel but you don't have the full Gospel.

Your doctrine leaves a void in the life of the believer. That void has been fulfilled by the life of Christ for the believer. You need all of Jesus to save you, not just his death.

musterion

You cannot fulfill the law because you are a sinner.

The implication of this point, which you love to make, is very disturbing.

Was JohnW intended to fulfill the Law?

No.

Law is only the schoolmaster...the signpost God set up to point out our dire need for Someone to save us from being unable to do what the Law righteously demands. The point of Law, Paul says, is not to be kept because God knew we couldn't. The point is to show us we can't.

That's what Paul taught. Why does your question suggest you do not believe what Paul taught?

Status
Not open for further replies.