No other gods

jaybird

Exodus 20 3-4

3 “You shall have no other gods before me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

who are these other gods? i grew up in church and i dont remember one sermon about this. and of all the commands this one carries some serious judgement that passes down to your kids and grand kids.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Exodus 20 3-4

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

who are these other gods? i grew up in church and i dont remember one sermon about this. and of all the commands this one carries some serious judgement that passes down to your kids and grand kids.

Joshua 23:6-8 NKJV - 6 "Therefore be very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, lest you turn aside from it to the right hand or to the left, 7 "[and] lest you go among these nations, these who remain among you. You shall not make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause [anyone] to swear [by them]; you shall not serve them nor bow down to them, 8 "but you shall hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have done to this day.

jaybird

Joshua 23:6-8 NKJV - 6 "Therefore be very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, lest you turn aside from it to the right hand or to the left, 7 "[and] lest you go among these nations, these who remain among you. You shall not make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause [anyone] to swear [by them]; you shall not serve them nor bow down to them, 8 "but you shall hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have done to this day.

are these gods still around today?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
are these gods still around today?

There are some gods mentioned in the Torah. The Torah is, however, about worshipping the one true God, Yahveh, following, observing, keeping, His commandments. There is only one God. But there have existed false gods, gods so called, which are not really gods at all, as there is only one God and only one true God.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Exodus 20 3-4

Verse 4 is an expansion of verse 3 and refers to idolatry.

Today anything placed ahead of God, such as covetousness, is idolatry.

clefty

idolatry would be worshiping other gods, so where are these other gods today?

Idolatry also includes worshipping the true God falsely...

Aaron proclaimed a feast day to Yah with the golden calf...

Many Christians too worship Him falsely...He winks but....

Jews and Muslims and Christians all claim the same god...

But the god of the Jews did not have a begotten Son...nor is the god of the Muslims a father...

How is that the same God?

Orthodox claim their images and relics contain Him...when He is clear that He alone should be worshipped and in Spirit and Truth...not by stuff made with human hands

Roman Catholics insist He is present in the bread they eat every Sunday...when His Son was clear that flesh (the material realm) profits nothing but that it is the Spirit...

Many Protestants protest His Law is NOT forever but is actually abrogated...even though He was clear it is forever and unchangeable...

It does get complicated...

May He lead...

jaybird

There are many gods today that people serve.

Money, power, fame, food, alcohol, drugs, sex, and many more.

i know lots of people obsessed with such things. i dont remember anyone ever building an idol, making sacrifices and praying to it as if money had its own god in the heavens.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
i know lots of people obsessed with such things. i dont remember anyone ever building an idol, making sacrifices and praying to it as if money had its own god in the heavens.

The most important thing in your life is your god regardless of prayers.

Actions speak louder than words.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
Just remember there is only one God the Father.

John 10:7-8
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
(NKJ)

Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
(NKJ)

Heb 7:12
12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.
(NKJ)

Heb 7:18
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,
(NKJ)

Jesus changed everything that was in the old testament. He made the old testament obsolete to Christians.
Jesus said there is only one true God the Father.

John 17:1-3

1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
(NKJ)

Paul said yet for us there is only one God the Father.

1 Cor 8:5-6
5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords),
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
(NKJ)

jaybird

Deuteronomy 29:26

26 and went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods whom they had not known and whom he had not allotted to them.

does anyone think these gods the nations were allotted to were heavenly beings?

clefty

what do you mean by that?

Applying what Paul wrote to modern ways...

Acts 17:29Therefore, being offspring of God, we should not think that the Divine Being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by man’s skill and imagination. 30Although God overlooked (winks at) the ignorance of earlier times, He now commands all men everywhere to repent. 31For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man He has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead.”…

Paul is referring to God’s people NOT thinking worship is by pretty nice pleasant friendly go along to get along power hour shows produced by man’s skill and imagination...either physical or in their beliefs and teachings...

however I see much He has winked at...but judgement day is coming...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Deuteronomy 29:26

26 and went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods whom they had not known and whom he had not allotted to them.

does anyone think these gods the nations were allotted to were heavenly beings?

I said
Satan is deceiving people into thinking he is god.
[Jhn 14:30
30 "I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.
[2Co 4:4
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
[2Co 11:14-15
14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
15 Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.
[2Th 2:4
4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

jaybird

I said
Satan is deceiving people into thinking he is god.

thats some pretty good deception. one hundred million dead in conflict the last hundred years, almost every leader in the history of mankind has always been corrupt, we grow enough food to feed the world three times over yet a third of the world starves to death. and on and on. and Satan doesnt have a hand in any of this? its all just a coincidence?

Bee1

Exodus 20 3-4

Well....what about Saints Peter and Paul , Mary mother of Jesus , Michael...why do some of us bow down and pay homage to these man-like figures carved from wood. Does that sound like obeying God ?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

jaybird

Well....what about Saints Peter and Paul , Mary mother of Jesus , Michael...why do some of us bow down and pay homage to these man-like figures carved from wood. Does that sound like obeying God ?

i never get why Micheal was a saint, i thought he was an Angel, wouldnt that be kinda like a demotion?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
thats some pretty good deception. one hundred million dead in conflict the last hundred years, almost every leader in the history of mankind has always been corrupt, we grow enough food to feed the world three times over yet a third of the world starves to death. and on and on. and Satan doesnt have a hand in any of this? its all just a coincidence?

I said
All you have to do is show me which one of them verses is wrong.