• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Noah's Ark & post-flood speciation

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't begging the question when you set as one of your assumptions the thing you seek to prove?
Yes.

I challenged you on your characterization of God as "demanding" love. Your next post was to ask another question that relied on my acceptance of this characterization.

There's definitely hellfire for disregarding any of it.
Not true at all.

In the case of Corinthians it doesn't mention who might be the object of the love described, in fact it doesn't even say that this is love directed to anyone or anything.
Why does it need to do that?

I'm not a sinner from my own point of view. The word is irrelevant.
Then what are you worried about? :idunno:

Well indeed. The whole nasty idea was basically invented by Saul of Tarsus.
Nope. The admonition in Ezekiel 18 is likely based on people who took scripture similar to what you're complaining about in the New Testament and misapplied it.

I sure am, or at least I am part of the judge: our inate inborn morality formed by eons of natural selection working through the pressures of tribal life, plus our collective thought are the source of morality.
According to your beliefs, my ideas are a product of the same process and just as valid.

You would be a misfit if you took your morals from the bible.
Why? It's just selection. What makes your ideas better than mine?

In a democracy you are the judge as much as I am, although there is usually some small leeway for those following their own consciences. Not in a totalitarian christian belief system, though.
:AMR: What does democracy have to do with anything?

Eternal existence, whatever that means, is laughably promised to people who haven't even got a clue what to do on a wet Sunday afternoon. But if you know your existence will end, and you have the usual ambitions to do things, whatever they might be for you personally, then the wet Sunday afternoon takes on a bit more importance. There is a tiny bit more urgency and significance to the fact that you will not always have Sunday afternoons, or indeed any time in any day. That urgency to live life for whatever purpose you have decided for yourself (and that purpose is definitely decided by you, under the influence of your genome) accumulates the more you realise what it means to live and die.
Why the urgency? Because you say we should find meaning in the face of oblivion? What if I just want to wait out my time doing nothing, or just serving my own interests? Why are your notions of what is right and proper the ones we should adopt?

On the other hand, an unending existence has no urgency and no shape.
Because you say so? What if life and death have been set out before you and people are urging you to choose life. What if there is reality to deal with — justice and mercy, love and freedom — for the rest of eternity?

We should just listen to you and your evidence-less insistence that oblivion is all that awaits?

You can lie in bed every morning, and do whatever it is tomorrow instead, forever. There is no need to get around to engaging with the business of being ... curious.
Why not? What if there is a creation to explore? What if there are people to get to know? What if creativity knows no bounds?

Can't decide if that's a platitude or a thinly veiled threat!
"I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me."

We were talking about how to derive value from the promise of oblivion. You think that the worst offender just vanishes along with the saint. You think this leaves room for justice and bestows meaning on people's lives.

No, that's a concept for someone thinking at Kohlberg's first tier of ethical thinking, that of the young child whose reasons for action centre around what other people will do to them. The stages above that are, basically, "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours", then "What would a good person do?", then "We should all follow the law", and later "Follow laws that are based in ethical principles". Some fundamentalist christians appear superficially to be working at the level of ethical principles because they recall biblical commands, but very often they are actually working at the level of fear for what happens to them if they don't. Probably Judeo-christianity's biggest broken promise, even bigger than lies about living forever, is the promise of justice for those living in really difficult circumstances. You might believe those two promises to the time of your death, but none of it was true, and you will never know. It's a popular button to push of course, because humans have a very keen sense of justice, but justice is rare and life can be brutal. It's not a comforting fact, but at least it is true. But I stand by my claims about the best justice being restorative, not vengeful, no matter how heinous the actions of the wrongdoer.
So you don't think justice will arrive.

This means you do not believe in justice. Oh, you might see it as an ideal, but it will never arrive. The only certainty is oblivion.

Well yes, a good example to give. The parable appears open to a lot of interpretation. It has never really appealed to me because I think it way oversimplifies the nature of human existence and is really an allegory for what happens to you if you ignore Jesus. Death for failing to engage in capitalism?
Death for failing to engage in capitalism? I think you read it wrong. The third servant wasn't killed.

Taken literally it's obviously vengeance and not justice.
Yes. That's what you asked for.

You declared that vengeance is a bad thing. I asked what is wrong with vengeance. You wanted to know about Jesus and vengeance.

The real problem is if you wish to view life as a gift. I do, although we might differ on the existence of a 'giver'. My metaphorical gift of life is mine and no-one else's, so it's mine to waste if I want to. It can't be anything else, or its value drops to that of slavery. I have discussed the purpose of life with christians, and some of them freely admit they are slaves. I think that is the message of this parable, and I disagree with it, but it remains a good example of what we were discussing.
We were discussing your nastiness.

I must add that to my list of nasty things Jesus brought!
One wonders why you would be compiling such a list. :idunno:

Stuu

I challenged you on your characterization of God as "demanding" love. Your next post was to ask another question that relied on my acceptance of this characterization.
I think you would have to replay that sequence quote by quote to convince me. My memory is that you countered the compulsory love in Thessalonians 1:8 with optional love in 1 Corinthians 13:1–13, which is fine but I think not that relevant.

Not true at all.
You are welcome to make whatever interpretation you want of the Judeo-christian scriptures. I personally think it makes no practical difference to either of our lives.

Why does it need to do that [mention who might be the object of the love described]?
Because the Thessalonians verse is specific about who you have to worship, whereas Corinthians isn't, so you would need to establish what Saul of Tarsus means by love in that instance to use it as a claim for the non-compulsion of love in scripture.

Then what are you worried about?
I'm not sure how you interpret my comments as deserving of worry on my part. But it was you who wrote "You sinned of your own accord", so perhaps you could justify the relevance of that to me.

Nope. The admonition in Ezekiel 18 is likely based on people who took scripture similar to what you're complaining about in the New Testament and misapplied it.
I take it you realise the book of Ezekiel is around 500 years older than the writing of Saul of Tarsus.
I sure am, or at least I am part of the judge: our inate inborn morality formed by eons of natural selection working through the pressures of tribal life, plus our collective thought are the source of morality.

According to your beliefs, my ideas are a product of the same process and just as valid.
Your brain, its way of processing, and the inate morality built into its operation by natural selection are likely the same as mine, and our brains are both vulnerable to hijacking by memes, and I think the christian meme is exploiting the vulnerabilities in your brain, and I can't necessarily perceive what memes are exploiting the vulnerabilities in mine, but none of them are the christian one.

As for validity, that would be a value judgment about what is a right way to think and process. I don't believe in thought police, but according to Matthew 5:22, Jesus is the thought police. Perhaps having a variety of ways of thinking in the population is a safety net from which natural selection can keep us going in a changing environment.

Stuu: You would be a misfit if you took your morals from the bible.
Why? It's just selection. What makes your ideas better than mine?
Misfit means not fitting. Perhaps scripture reflects some kind of ethical zeitgeist of three thousand years ago, then two thousand years ago. Ethics evolve over time so your morality would not fit today's if they were exclusively that of ancient Palestine, or perhaps early Judaism.

What does democracy have to do with anything?
Stuu: " In a democracy you are the judge as much as I am", in response to your question " Oh, so you're the judge now?". We can both vote according to our own principles, and over time the ethics built into the governance of our lives reflects both our ideas, and those of our fellow citizens. Yes I am the judge, and so equally are you. And we are both free to convince the other to adopt the same judgements on ethical questions. Compare that democratic process to living under the dystopia of a christian theocracy which is always totalitarian because of the number of ways you can get to the deity, and the usual actions taken by the kinds of despots normally in charge if you disagree.

Why the urgency? Because you say we should find meaning in the face of oblivion? What if I just want to wait out my time doing nothing, or just serving my own interests? Why are your notions of what is right and proper the ones we should adopt?
I don't think that follows from my explanation of the critical value of knowing one has a limited existence. It's not a question of what is right and proper, because I respect your right to waste your lifetime, but I suggest that if you know that one finite life is all you will have then it gives a meaning to the choices you have made that would otherwise not exist, and I wonder what meaning is possible if you believe your time will never end.

Because you say so? What if life and death have been set out before you and people are urging you to choose life. What if there is reality to deal with — justice and mercy, love and freedom — for the rest of eternity?
If it is justice by vengeance, then I don't want any part of it; if it is the mercy of Tertullian that I can join in from paradise, then that callous display is not for me either. Eternal life sounds like the torture you might wish to see others suffer.

We should just listen to you and your evidence-less insistence that oblivion is all that awaits?
The promise of eternal life is an easy cheque to write but a difficult one to cash. If we are going to talk evidence, it is the religionists who claim a reality of living after physical death, so the burden of proof is with them. A model of death being final is consistent with everything we observe, and nothing we observe is consistent with further existence. I think few religious believers in afterlife have considered either the practicalities, or indeed the horror of such a proposition.

Why not? What if there is a creation to explore? What if there are people to get to know? What if creativity knows no bounds?
And what do you do once you have met all the people, and explored all of the creation that is possible to explore. What do you do tomorrow? Will there be an infinite number of things to do that are relevant over an infinite length of time? If your fantasy eternity involves knowing a being that knows everything, what do you do once you have learned everything there is to know? Will you have a brain capable of synthesising your experiences and knowledge as they approach infinity? What would be the point of talking to Einstein if, eventually you will have enough knowledge to completely obliterate his understanding of the universe? Why would you ever talk to Bach or Bowie, if your experience will eventually make you so much better than either. What is the meaning of any of that? What have you achieved for yourself that was worth doing because it was your effort? What are the rewards for this kind of life? And after all of that, still, what will you do tomorrow? And the next day. There is nothing left to do that you haven't done. Now the next. Ho hum. Maybe the most interesting experience would have been to know what it was to experience finality, a context for life. Sorry, that one's not available. The system insists you carry on and have a good time without that one defining experience.

So you don't think justice will arrive.
I think the kind of justice I would like to see in the world is too rare, and I do what I can to make it more consistently available, although my influence is obviously limited.

This means you do not believe in justice. Oh, you might see it as an ideal, but it will never arrive.
So you do think I believe in justice then.

The only certainty is oblivion.
Yes, and, as they say, taxes.

One wonders why you would be compiling such a list.
It might make for some interesting conversations if I ever end up condemned to an eternal existence in a totalitarian Judeo-christian heaven. One would need to be very well prepared...

Stuart

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you would have to replay that sequence quote by quote to convince me.
:AMR:

The conversation is right there.

Compulsory love in [II] Thessalonians 1:8.
There is no such thing in Thessalonians.

You are welcome to make whatever interpretation you want of the Judeo-christian scriptures.
No, I'm not. I'm bound to what they say. You, on the other hand, just invent the worst possible ideas and ascribe them to the Bible.

Because the Thessalonians verse is specific about who you have to worship, whereas Corinthians isn't.
We aren't talking about worship and neither do either of the passages.

I'm not sure how you interpret my comments as deserving of worry on my part.
You keep talking about it, fretting.

I take it you realise the book of Ezekiel is around 500 years older than the writing of Saul of Tarsus.
Dude!

Reread what I said.

I sure am, or at least I am part of the judge: our inate inborn morality formed by eons of natural selection working through the pressures of tribal life, plus our collective thought are the source of morality. Your brain, its way of processing, and the inate morality built into its operation by natural selection are likely the same as mine, and our brains are both vulnerable to hijacking by memes, and I think the christian meme is exploiting the vulnerabilities in your brain, and I can't necessarily perceive what memes are exploiting the vulnerabilities in mine, but none of them are the christian one.
Your analysis leaves no means to judge which of us might be on the right track. You accuse me of being infected by a meme, but the same thing could be used against you.

Stuu: You would be a misfit if you took your morals from the bible. Misfit means not fitting. Perhaps scripture reflects some kind of ethical zeitgeist of three thousand years ago, then two thousand years ago. Ethics evolve over time so your morality would not fit today's if they were exclusively that of ancient Palestine, or perhaps early Judaism.
Why is it not fitting? Why should we accept your assertion? Solely because you say the ideas are no longer popular?

Stuu: " In a democracy you are the judge as much as I am", in response to your question " Oh, so you're the judge now?". We can both vote according to our own principles, and over time the ethics built into the governance of our lives reflects both our ideas, and those of our fellow citizens. Yes I am the judge, and so equally are you. And we are both free to convince the other to adopt the same judgements on ethical questions. Compare that democratic process to living under the dystopia of a christian theocracy which is always totalitarian because of the number of ways you can get to the deity, and the usual actions taken by the kinds of despots normally in charge if you disagree.
We won't be comparing the glittery descriptions you give for democracy against the hate-filled analysis you provide for God.

I don't think that follows from my explanation of the critical value of knowing one has a limited existence. It's not a question of what is right and proper, because I respect your right to waste your lifetime, but I suggest that if you know that one finite life is all you will have then it gives a meaning to the choices you have made that would otherwise not exist, and I wonder what meaning is possible if you believe your time will never end.
It all comes down to what you prefer and how you think people should act. What makes your assertions of how the world works something we should consider seriously? Evolution? Democracy?

Your worldview has no foundation.

If it is justice by vengeance, then I don't want any part of it.
"Justice by vengeance" is a tautology. Justice requires payment. If I steal from you, justice would be that you get what is yours back multiplied a few times, while I would get the strap.

Once again: What is wrong with vengeance?

The promise of eternal life is an easy cheque to write but a difficult one to cash. If we are going to talk evidence, it is the religionists who claim a reality of living after physical death, so the burden of proof is with them.
Sure. Justice, freedom, love, mercy. These are real things.

They mean nothing in oblivion. They also mean nothing if oblivion is all that awaits, because we know justice will never be completed on Earth.

A model of death being final is consistent with everything we observe.
No, it's not. We see people striving for life and meaning.
Nothing we observe is consistent with further existence.
Justice.

I think few religious believers in afterlife have considered either the practicalities, or indeed the horror of such a proposition.
Therefore, something... :idunno:

And what do you do once you have met all the people, and explored all of the creation that is possible to explore. What do you do tomorrow? Will there be an infinite number of things to do that are relevant over an infinite length of time? If your fantasy eternity involves knowing a being that knows everything, what do you do once you have learned everything there is to know? Will you have a brain capable of synthesising your experiences and knowledge as they approach infinity? What would be the point of talking to Einstein if, eventually you will have enough knowledge to completely obliterate his understanding of the universe? Why would you ever talk to Bach or Bowie, if your experience will eventually make you so much better than either. What is the meaning of any of that? What have you achieved for yourself that was worth doing because it was your effort? What are the rewards for this kind of life? And after all of that, still, what will you do tomorrow? And the next day. There is nothing left to do that you haven't done. Now the next. Ho hum. Maybe the most interesting experience would have been to know what it was to experience finality, a context for life. Sorry, that one's not available. The system insists you carry on and have a good time without that one defining experience.
Perhaps it is just imagination that you lack. :idunno:

I think the kind of justice I would like to see in the world is too rare, and I do what I can to make it more consistently available, although my influence is obviously limited.
This goal is futile, yet you derive meaning from it. Your life can have no meaning.

So you do think I believe in justice then.
You can talk about it. You can use the word. But nothing you ever propose as part of reality would ever establish it.

It might make for some interesting conversations if I ever end up condemned to an eternal existence in a totalitarian Judeo-christian heaven. One would need to be very well prepared.

This is a non-answer. The question challenges the very core of your worldview and your response is a joke.

Stuu

I'm bound to what they [the Judeo-christian scriptures]say.
No you're not. You have chosen to be bound by them, so therefore you are not actually bound. You don't live in a christian theocracy. You can just walk away. Many do.

You, on the other hand, just invent the worst possible ideas and ascribe them to the Bible.
Isn't it that I show you where the worst possible ideas can be found in the bible? I didn't invent christianity. Some other people invented it. Have you ever questioned their motives?

We aren't talking about worship and neither do either of the passages.
So you think it is possible to worship something without any love for it? The two words are almost interchangeable in some settings. But I think you know perfectly well that you are commanded to love in the bible.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

"Shalt". Not may, or might consider it... and of course Mark and Luke repeat it. And they are just repeating Deuteronomy 6:5. This is what you have bound yourself to, and the imperative language gives you no leeway to choose not to love in this particular case. And don't forget the penalty for not following scripture. It's compulsory love on pain of hellfire.

Stuu: I'm not sure how you interpret my comments as deserving of worry on my part.
You keep talking about it, fretting.
Still not sure how you interpret it thus. Does something in my language display a tiny hint of concern? Let me reassure you then that there is none.

Your analysis leaves no means to judge which of us might be on the right track. You accuse me of being infected by a meme, but the same thing could be used against you.
Yes, as I discussed myself. But if it is a case of memes, my one doesn't expect me to believe absurdities like humans walking again after death, and humans born of one parent, and humans walking on the surface of water, and in cases like yours particularly, believing the earth was created a few thousand years after the great agricultural revolution in which nomadic tribes settled to an agrarian existence, and some 40,000 years after the Australian Aboriginal people had begun inhabiting that continent (or possibly even longer).

I almost have a grudging respect for a meme that can corrupt a perfectly good human brain that much. I am sure you would mock the comparison, but the scale of the error that this meme has induced in your judgement of likelihood in regards to the age of the earth is to believe that the distance from Taichung City to Hamilton, Waikato, is a little under 20 metres. That's impressive misdirection! Even you must agree if you could accept it for arguments sake.

Why is it not fitting? Why should we accept your assertion? Solely because you say the ideas are no longer popular?
Well I tend to agree that 'human nature' is very slow to change, and some aspects of it are probably close to static over millennia. But your own mythology must tell you that something had to change with the arrival of Jesus, so the ethics of ancient Judaism don't apply in the same way in 1000 BCE as they were 'intended' by the thinking of christians in 50CE. So why would that not also apply to other kinds of change in ethical thinking in the next two thousand years? I think it pretty obviously has changed radically, and especially in the light of science. Should we lock up mentally ill people and consider them deranged of possessed? While some christian cults (like Catholicism) still have exorcism, the rest of us accept that there are much more ethical ways to treat people, say, whose brains don't work in a way that makes it safe for them to be at large in public. I'm not taking some kind of moral high ground against you, I'm just saying there is and should be enlightenment that makes life better for more people. I don't think a bronze age view of morality is going to be very just in such an enlightened age. If by popularity you mean ethical consensus, then yes, popular ideas should rightly form part of our collective morality.

It all comes down to what you prefer and how you think people should act. What makes your assertions of how the world works something we should consider seriously? Evolution? Democracy?
Well, biological evolution is a fact and anyone who doubts it is either ignorant or a liar. That is not a matter of 'preference'. The really brilliant thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it. If you want to be taken seriously by any competent person then either you accept evolution is the process that led to your existence on this planet, or else you disprove it. No one has ever done the latter. In the time since Darwin the basic principles of physics, chemistry, geology and cosmology have been completely overturned. But evolution hasn't. I wonder why that might be. Incompetent creationists? No, competent scientists have failed to disprove it despite honest attempts. It's just a fact. It's probability is so high that it is perverse to deny it, especially when the alternatives proposed by the religious so often rely on claims of magic. That's not explaining, that's wishful thinking.</rant>

But of course you are suggesting that biological evolution should be some kind of basis for an ethical system. Well, no it shouldn't, that would be grossly, er, gross. On the other hand, it is not possible to really understand ethics without understanding evolution by natural selection, which is where some lawmakers go wrong in my opinion.

Yes, democracy. Your country of origin was the first democracy in the world, as long as we are happy to limit universal suffrage to adults. NZ hasn't done so badly, has it. And we certainly don't like being told what to do by the religious. Christianity is dying here, and that is a good thing. I like to think I might do something small to hasten its demise, but it has been found so badly wanting on so many social issues that it is doing itself in quite well without me, although not in the Pacifica communities or in Maoridom.

For example, christians (and no one else!) warned of the most ridiculous consequences of decriminalising homosexual acts in 1986, and in 2016 on the anniversary of the passing of that law, many of them were on TV saying actually it had been fine after all. And prostitution was decriminalised, and overall it made a big difference for people working as prostitutes that they could be open about it when seeking legal redress and health services, but of course we know who the main bodies out there who were wringing their hands about that one. And now an assisted dying bill is on its way into law, and once again it is the religious making themselves look silly with their dark warnings, despite contrary evidence from the experiences of other countries. It's not so much that the religious with their totalitarian and infantile ethical thinking have no place in the public debate, it's just they have made themselves unpopular because so often what they have to say is contrary to the evidence, or scaremongering, or has a history of turning out to be poor judgement.

Your worldview has no foundation.
What constitutes the acceptable properties of a worldview's foundation?

Whatever the foundations of my worldview, they are not based on lies like a human walking again after successful execution, or crocodile smile promises that you'll live forever. I like to think that my worldview is based on things that can reasonably be said to be true. I don't think you can make the same claim, although of course I am always open to being disproved.

"Justice by vengeance" is a tautology. Justice requires payment. If I steal from you, justice would be that you get what is yours back multiplied a few times, while I would get the strap.
Well I have already explained how justice can (and should) work without vengeance, so I'm not sure how much more help I can be. I think you have a lot of reading to do. This is another frustration I have with christianity. You would think, for a religion that claims high ground on ethical questions, that its adherents would be excellent ethical thinkers, able to move flexibly in and out of the range of different ways there are to consider ethical questions, and perhaps even understand how that relates to the development of an individual's opinions and actions throughout life. Well, even with my limited reading on the subject, I can see how poorly prepared the faithful and the preachers so often appear to be to engage in even the most inward-looking way of developing ethical arguments, and by that I specifically mean the degree to which christians, especially evangelicals / fundamentalists have not developed past the kind of thinking that small children do when justifying ethical choices. And this is not about excuses for bad behaviour, it is about choices to be made in any ethical situation. And that's what I think earns some christians in NZ many thumbs-down when they try to articulate in public an ethical argument on a social question: they so often show stunted ethical development.

Stuu: The promise of eternal life is an easy cheque to write but a difficult one to cash. If we are going to talk evidence, it is the religionists who claim a reality of living after physical death, so the burden of proof is with them.
Sure. Justice, freedom, love, mercy. These are real things.
How do they constitute evidence of living forever?

They mean nothing in oblivion. They also mean nothing if oblivion is all that awaits, because we know justice will never be completed on Earth.
Or, in your version, you know that vengeance will never be completed on earth, so you need a vengeful god to set up the grandstand where you may join Tertullian as you both gain pleasure from observing the suffering of the condemned. Sadism seems to be a principle of christianity, and if you include Catholicism then it's sadomasochism.

I think this might be about evolution by natural selection, actually. If you reject biological evolution then you don't have any basis for investigating why human brains go so disastrously wrong. Well you might have a religious fantasy that explains everything but nothing specifically, but actually since humans weren't created it will get you nowhere. Original sin and evil spirits and so forth aren't the cause of crime, because none of those things actually exist. Natural selection, bodging together bits of recycled phenotype that will just do the job of making the species fit enough to survive and reproduce, is the reason we have brains liable to go haywire because of their haphazard engineering-which-isn't-engineering. Without that, you haven't even started to improve anything.

Stuu: A model of death being final is consistent with everything we observe.
No, it's not. We see people striving for life and meaning.
Logic is not exactly your strongest point, is it.

Stuu: Nothing we observe is consistent with further existence.
Your circular argument: the reason an eternal life must be real is because justice is real, and justice is real because eternal life makes it real.

That's not only inconsistent with empirical evidence, it's inconsistent with logic also.

Perhaps it is just imagination that you lack.
Or perhaps my imagination is too vivid? Or both lacking and vivid?

This goal [of my vision of justice] is futile, yet you derive meaning from it.
No, I never said that.

Your life can have no meaning.
Did you choose christianity? If so, then you have still decided the meaning of your life, exactly as I have decided the meaning of mine. With a free choice, as much as we can have such a thing, there is absolutely no difference between us. If you didn't choose christianity, then something else has made the meaning for your life, and you are a robot.

This is a non-answer. The question challenges the very core of your worldview and your response is a joke.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week. The matinees are usually quieter.

Stuart

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No you're not. You have chosen to be bound by them.
Try to read for comprehension. I am bound to what they say. I am not going to take your line of just making things up for the Bible to say.

Isn't it that I show you where the worst possible ideas can be found in the bible?
No. On numerous occasions I have told you that the passages you misrepresent contain nothing of what you say.

I didn't invent christianity. Some other people invented it. Have you ever questioned their motives?
There is no need for me to adopt Darwinist debate tactics. People's motives have no bearing on the truth or falsity of a statement.

So you think it is possible to worship something without any love for it? The two words are almost interchangeable in some settings. But I think you know perfectly well that you are commanded to love in the bible.
Nope.

You have no idea what the Bible teaches.

It's compulsory love on pain of hellfire.
Except that you have successfully rejected Him. So much for compulsory.

Yes, as I discussed myself. But if it is a case of memes, my one doesn't expect me to believe absurdities like humans walking again after death, and humans born of one parent, and humans walking on the surface of water, and in cases like yours particularly, believing the earth was created a few thousand years after the great agricultural revolution in which nomadic tribes settled to an agrarian existence, and some 40,000 years after the Australian Aboriginal people had begun inhabiting that continent (or possibly even longer). I almost have a grudging respect for a meme that can corrupt a perfectly good human brain that much. I am sure you would mock the comparison, but the scale of the error that this meme has induced in your judgement of likelihood in regards to the age of the earth is to believe that the distance from Taichung City to Hamilton, Waikato, is a little under 20 metres. That's impressive misdirection! Even you must agree if you could accept it for arguments sake.
This is all very nice, but a similarly worded attack on your meme would be of equal value, according to your foundation for truth.

Evolution might have just produced your flawed understanding of reality. Who knows?

Well I tend to agree that 'human nature' is very slow to change, and some aspects of it are probably close to static over millennia. But your own mythology must tell you that something had to change with the arrival of Jesus, so the ethics of ancient Judaism don't apply in the same way in 1000 BCE as they were 'intended' by the thinking of christians in 50CE. So why would that not also apply to other kinds of change in ethical thinking in the next two thousand years? I think it pretty obviously has changed radically, and especially in the light of science. Should we lock up mentally ill people and consider them deranged of possessed? While some christian cults (like Catholicism) still have exorcism, the rest of us accept that there are much more ethical ways to treat people, say, whose brains don't work in a way that makes it safe for them to be at large in public. I'm not taking some kind of moral high ground against you, I'm just saying there is and should be enlightenment that makes life better for more people. I don't think a bronze age view of morality is going to be very just in such an enlightened age. If by popularity you mean ethical consensus, then yes, popular ideas should rightly form part of our collective morality.
Things have changed. The Bible outlines how they have changed.

However, justice remains a real and achievable goal.

Well, biological evolution is a fact and anyone who doubts it is either ignorant or a liar.
Nice meme. :plain:

That is not a matter of 'preference'.
Given that I allowed a small window of the assumption of the truth of your idea, this was not up for debate. What is up for debate is your assertion that oblivion is all that waits. Why should we be convinced by your words? Aren't you just a necessary product of your Darwinism? How do we separate our ideas when you provide no foundation of truth?

But of course you are suggesting that biological evolution should be some kind of basis for an ethical system.
No. I assumed that would be what you propose. My standard of righteousness is that which God does not disapprove of.

Yes, democracy. Your country of origin was the first democracy in the world, as long as we are happy to limit universal suffrage to adults. NZ hasn't done so badly, has it.
They murder 14,000 babies per year and are mulling assisted suicide. :idunno:

For example, christians (and no one else!) warned of the most ridiculous consequences of decriminalising homosexual acts in 1986, and in 2016 on the anniversary of the passing of that law, many of them were on TV saying actually it had been fine after all. And prostitution was decriminalised, and overall it made a big difference for people working as prostitutes that they could be open about it when seeking legal redress and health services, but of course we know who the main bodies out there who were wringing their hands about that one. And now an assisted dying bill is on its way into law, and once again it is the religious making themselves look silly with their dark warnings, despite contrary evidence from the experiences of other countries. It's not so much that the religious with their totalitarian and infantile ethical thinking have no place in the public debate, it's just they have made themselves unpopular because so often what they have to say is contrary to the evidence, or scaremongering, or has a history of turning out to be poor judgement.
You seem to be happy with perverts and dead people. Your meme is sick.

And where do you get off judging those who oppose you? You have no foundation to say your meme is any better than our warnings.

What constitutes the acceptable properties of a worldview's foundation?
It has to produce ideas that are assessable; we have to have a standard against which things are judged as right or wrong. Your Darwinism-derived, oblivion-headed, meme worldview leaves every resulting opinion as valid as the next.

I like to think that my worldview is based on things that can reasonably be said to be true.
Of course you like to say that, but you provide no way to compare one idea against the next. We're discussing justice. Assuming the truth of your account of history, your Darwinist ideals say justice is whatever we get on Earth and oblivion is all that awaits, while my meme is that justice will be done and that all men will account for every word and action.

You have a lot of words, but you don't have a standard that can say your idea is correct and mine isn't. Moreover, you don't believe in anything that could ever provide such a standard.

I don't think you can make the same claim, although of course I am always open to being disproved.
Justice requires that all men be held to account. If justice exists, there must be an afterlife, because justice will never be served on Earth.

Well I have already explained how justice can (and should) work without vengeance, so I'm not sure how much more help I can be. I think you have a lot of reading to do. This is another frustration I have with christianity. You would think, for a religion that claims high ground on ethical questions, that its adherents would be excellent ethical thinkers, able to move flexibly in and out of the range of different ways there are to consider ethical questions, and perhaps even understand how that relates to the development of an individual's opinions and actions throughout life. Well, even with my limited reading on the subject, I can see how poorly prepared the faithful and the preachers so often appear to be to engage in even the most inward-looking way of developing ethical arguments, and by that I specifically mean the degree to which christians, especially evangelicals / fundamentalists have not developed past the kind of thinking that small children do when justifying ethical choices. And this is not about excuses for bad behaviour, it is about choices to be made in any ethical situation. And that's what I think earns some christians in NZ many thumbs-down when they try to articulate in public an ethical argument on a social question: they so often show stunted ethical development.
Sounds like you've never spoken to anyone with a semblance of understanding. Or, more likely, you're unwilling to listen with the thought you demand of others.

Or, in your version, you know that vengeance will never be completed on earth, so you need a vengeful god to set up the grandstand where you may join Tertullian as you both gain pleasure from observing the suffering of the condemned. Sadism seems to be a principle of christianity, and if you include Catholicism then it's sadomasochism.
You keep declaring vengeance a bad thing.

Why is it bad?

I think this might be about evolution by natural selection, actually. If you reject biological evolution then you don't have any basis for investigating why human brains go so disastrously wrong. Well you might have a religious fantasy that explains everything but nothing specifically, but actually since humans weren't created it will get you nowhere. Original sin and evil spirits and so forth aren't the cause of crime, because none of those things actually exist. Natural selection, bodging together bits of recycled phenotype that will just do the job of making the species fit enough to survive and reproduce, is the reason we have brains liable to go haywire because of their haphazard engineering-which-isn't-engineering. Without that, you haven't even started to improve anything.
Oh, I don't know. Without a standard, who is to say that a "haywire" brain isn't just as reasonable an end as a "normal" brain?

If we all evolved from stew and are headed for oblivion, what makes any one life more acceptable than the next?

Democracy? :darwinsm:

Logic is not exactly your strongest point, is it.
What was illogical about that? :idunno:

Your circular argument: the reason an eternal life must be real is because justice is real, and justice is real because eternal life makes it real.
Nope.

My argument is this:
Justice is real.
Justice is not possible without an afterlife.
Therefore, there is an afterlife.

Now, can you outline something similar for what you believe and then tell us by what standard we are going to judge which is more likely to be true?

Or perhaps my imagination is too vivid? Or both lacking and vivid?
That's possible, I guess. But how will we ever know?

Did you choose christianity? If so, then you have still decided the meaning of your life, exactly as I have decided the meaning of mine. With a free choice, as much as we can have such a thing, there is absolutely no difference between us. If you didn't choose christianity, then something else has made the meaning for your life, and you are a robot.

Was this an admission that life can have no meaning?

Stuu

Try to read for comprehension. I am bound to what they say.
Ok, ok, robot.

I am not going to take your line of just making things up for the Bible to say.
You're not a fan of the KJV then?

On numerous occasions I have told you that the passages you misrepresent contain nothing of what you say.
I know, it's so rare that the words used mean the meaning of those words.

There is no need for me to adopt Darwinist debate tactics. People's motives have no bearing on the truth or falsity of a statement.
Is that what they told you? No one ever lied for a motive?

You have no idea what the Bible teaches.
You seem quite surprised yourself at what the bible has in it.

Except that you have successfully rejected Him. So much for compulsory.
Well, how brilliant of me. Yet you somehow don't seem pleased for me.

This is all very nice, but a similarly worded attack on your meme would be of equal value, according to your foundation for truth.
Maybe you could identify that meme, isolate what of what I say is nonsense caused by its influence, then demonstrate how extremely nonsensical the nonsense is.

Evolution might have just produced your flawed understanding of reality. Who knows?
You don't know enough about natural selection to comment with any real significance.

Things have changed. The Bible outlines how they have changed.
Between when and when?

Why should we be convinced by your words? Aren't you just a necessary product of your Darwinism? How do we separate our ideas when you provide no foundation of truth?
That would be a religious doctrine, to assume you were a necessary product of the process that made our species. Humans are not a necessary outcome of evolution by natural selection, unless you are one of those bizarre theistic evolutionists.

Good point to raise the question of separating ideas on some foundation. Evolution by natural selection is, essentially, proved beyond any doubt by a widescale effort of scientific induction, being the same conclusion independently reached by many different disciplines dealing with many different kinds of lines of evidence. It all points in the direction of Darwin and none of it points towards anything else. So there is that, the singular conclusion of a large proportion of scientific effort. Then we have what you claim to be the alternative, which is based on magic done by an alleged deity that noone has ever seen in any sense at all, one that apparently can't even decide which of five methods is the best one for producing humans (breathing into dirt, transmogrifying a rib, pure magical appearance from nothing in the case of the daughters-in-law of Adam and Eve, sexual procreation in the manner with which we are familiar, and some weird god-human hybrid method of conception).

When it comes to choosing between a considerable amount of scientific backing and magic, I'll let you guess which one I think has some kind of foundation of truth, whatever you mean by that.

I assumed [an ethical system based on evolution by natural selection] would be what you propose.
No, obviously I wouldn't.

My standard of righteousness is that which God does not disapprove of.
I think there are manuals of psychiatry that have to make special exemptions from diagnosis of mental illness for people who simply claim they know what god wants them to do. I assume that is because of political pressure, not because of consistent clinical practice.
They murder 14,000 babies per year
If you are talking about New Zealand, then about 10 people of ages 0-14 years die in suspicious circumstances (effectively murdered or manslaughtered) each year.

and are mulling assisted suicide.
Yes, for reasons of social justice. Which is not social vengeance, as you might relabel it.

You seem to be happy with perverts and dead people. Your meme is sick.
With the obvious exception of the sense of loss for those in mourning for them, I'm not sure what should make me unhappy about the dead. I will be one of them someday. As for perverts, you need to be more specific. Do you mean religious clergy who feel so untouchable that they touch others inappropriately? Or do you mean gay people. Of course I am entirely happy with whatever it is my gay friends decide to get up to in private (none of my business really): the perversion is in the eye of the beholder. You haven't identified any meme in me yet, so for arguments sake let's say it really is me doing the thinking and writing. I am not sick for choosing not to see other humans as 'perverted' just because their way of loving other humans isn't necessarily the same as mine. I think it is perverted to preach love then condemn it in the same breath, as so many christians do.

And where do you get off judging those who oppose you? You have no foundation to say your meme is any better than our warnings.
What is wrong with making judgements? We all do it all the time. I judge hatred to be morally inferior to love. There are obviously cases where hatred might be an appropriate reaction though. Unlike the kneejerk platitudes of some fundamentalists, real ethical questions have complexity.

Stuu: What constitutes the acceptable properties of a worldview's foundation?
It has to produce ideas that are assessable; we have to have a standard against which things are judged as right or wrong. Your Darwinism-derived, oblivion-headed, meme worldview leaves every resulting opinion as valid as the next.
So, tell me what is right and wrong then, and explain why for each point. Explain how your ethical system avoids needing the establishment of an oppressive totalitarian state complete with thought police, because I'll bet that will turn out to be the reality of any such application of standards of right and wrong. But by all means, prove me wrong.

Stuu: I like to think that my worldview is based on things that can reasonably be said to be true.
Of course you like to say that, but you provide no way to compare one idea against the next.
Yes, the scientific method, so good that people working in most other areas of knowledge respect is as a kind of gold standard of epistemology. It's the best way we have of weeding out failed ideas, like divine revelation.

We're discussing justice. Assuming the truth of your account of history, your Darwinist ideals say justice is whatever we get on Earth and oblivion is all that awaits, while my meme is that justice will be done and that all men will account for every word and action.
Maybe if you stopped threatening people with violence on behalf of your imaginary friend, behind the celestial bikesheds at some never-never date in the future, but instead made some serious effort to promote justice here and now in the world, there would be no need for your bullying vengeance. I picture you as the boy who goes around with the bully and agrees with everything the bully says until it comes to the punchup, when you bravely run away.

You have a lot of words, but you don't have a standard that can say your idea is correct and mine isn't. Moreover, you don't believe in anything that could ever provide such a standard.
I've already explained. If you are the clanging bell with no love then I'm not sure how to be of any further help.

Justice requires that all men be held to account.
No it doesn't. It requires that perpetrators be held to account.

If justice exists, there must be an afterlife, because justice will never be served on Earth.
Run, little bully's friend, run. Oh wait, no punchups yet.

Sounds like you've never spoken to anyone with a semblance of understanding. Or, more likely, you're unwilling to listen with the thought you demand of others.
Understanding of what?

You keep declaring vengeance a bad thing.
Can you give me an example of what you mean by it? Then I can tell you whether or not I think it is a bad thing.

Oh, I don't know. Without a standard, who is to say that a "haywire" brain isn't just as reasonable an end as a "normal" brain?
What do you mean by 'reasonable an end'? It's very important that you be clear when this part of our conversation has been dealing with people with mental illness that makes them liable to harm others physically. And perhaps when you respond to this question you might say what standard you are using, and on what basis you chose it.

If we all evolved from stew and are headed for oblivion, what makes any one life more acceptable than the next?
I don't know how you get around the fact that, in another thousand billion years, our galaxy will catastrophically collide with the Andromeda galaxy, which will completely obliterate all trace that there ever was human life in our solar system. Whose life will have been the most acceptable at that point? You will be able to watch down from wherever you are enjoying the infant phase of your fantasy non-physical eternal existence on this destruction, illuminated by the false sun put up in heaven to remind sentimental human souls of the real one that used to be bright enough to use as a light source. How many generations of stellar evolution will you see all those atoms, that used to be your body, go through? The whole concept of your time on earth will disappear into a mental dot as the only thing 'familiar' now is looking at the same faces of the 144,000 elect, or whatever the hilarious fantasy figure is. A quick oblivion is the only option when faced with an everlasting oblivion of loneliness shipwrecked 'out there' in eternity. Still, there's always the endless sycophantic worship to look forward to each... I nearly wrote each day, but the concept of the day will go along with the disappearance of the earth into the outer layers of our 'soon' to be very bloated sun.

What was illogical about that?
I'd have to know what the logic was supposed to be in order to give specific criticism.
My argument is this:
[1.] Justice is real.
[2.] Justice is not possible without an afterlife.
[3.] Therefore, there is an afterlife.
I see. So you are not put off by the logical fallacies of bald assertion in both [1] and [2]?
It would be equally valid to write "There is an afterlife, you need to just believe me, OK".

Now, can you outline something similar for what you believe and then tell us by what standard we are going to judge which is more likely to be true?
By all means:
1. People who make bald assertions as if they are valid arguments are not to be trusted
2. God-believers baldly assert the existence of their god, because they have nothing better
3. Therefore, god-believers are not to be trusted

The standards of logical analysis assesses my version more likely to be logically correct, and if the standards of logical analysis are any guide of what can be said to be true (and of course they can fail spectacularly) then I win. Or words to that victorious effect.

Stuu: Or perhaps my imagination is too vivid? Or both lacking and vivid?
That's possible, I guess. But how will we ever know?
Indeed. Neither of us will ever discover that you were wrong.
Was this an admission that life can have no meaning?
If you make the meaning of your own life to be that it has no meaning, then I think you have still defined a meaning for your life.
Do you believe that you chose christianity?

Stuart

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is that what they told you? No one ever lied for a motive?
This is dumb. Try to think things through more rationally.
You somehow don't seem pleased for me.
I'd prefer you engage rationally.
Maybe you could identify that meme, isolate what of what I say is nonsense caused by its influence, then demonstrate how extremely nonsensical the nonsense is.
It's your worldview. You tell us how it is founded.
You don't know enough about natural selection to comment with any real significance.
Believe what you want. :idunno:
Between when and when?
Most significantly with Paul's gospel.
That would be a religious doctrine, to assume you were a necessary product of the process that made our species. Humans are not a necessary outcome of evolution by natural selection.
We're not talking about evolution. We're talking about reality while assuming the truth of your Darwinism. Given a small window of the assumption of the truth of evolution, it necessarily produced you and your ideas.
I think there are manuals of psychiatry that have to make special exemptions from diagnosis of mental illness for people who simply claim they know what god wants them to do. I assume that is because of political pressure, not because of consistent clinical practice.
Again, I said nothing even remotely like this.

Try to listen carefully to what the words on the screen are telling you.

So, tell me what is right and wrong then, and explain why for each point. Explain how your ethical system avoids needing the establishment of an oppressive totalitarian state complete with thought police, because I'll bet that will turn out to be the reality of any such application of standards of right and wrong. But by all means, prove me wrong.
Your line of questioning shows that you have not understood a single thing I said.

I'm not here to tell you what is right and wrong; I asked you how your worldview can provide a foundation for right and wrong. That is: Why should we believe your assertions when you are simply a product of evolution just like the rest of us?

Yes, the scientific method, so good that people working in most other areas of knowledge respect is as a kind of gold standard of epistemology. It's the best way we have of weeding out failed ideas, like divine revelation.
How did you disprove divine revelation?

Maybe if you stopped threatening people with violence on behalf of your imaginary friend, behind the celestial bikesheds at some never-never date in the future, but instead made some serious effort to promote justice here and now in the world, there would be no need for your bullying vengeance. I picture you as the boy who goes around with the bully and agrees with everything the bully says until it comes to the punchup, when you bravely run away.
When you die, you will go to hell.

It requires that perpetrators be held to account.
And this will never happen, according to your model of the universe. You will never see justice.

What do you mean by 'reasonable an end'?
People are the product of evolution, according to your worldview.

I don't know how you get around the fact that, in another thousand billion years, our galaxy will catastrophically collide with the Andromeda galaxy, which will completely obliterate all trace that there ever was human life in our solar system. Whose life will have been the most acceptable at that point?
Nothing that has ever happened will have any meaning. You're the one demanding that there is meaning to life under this scenario.

You will be able to watch down from wherever you are enjoying the infant phase of your fantasy non-physical eternal existence on this destruction, illuminated by the false sun put up in heaven to remind sentimental human souls of the real one that used to be bright enough to use as a light source. How many generations of stellar evolution will you see all those atoms, that used to be your body, go through? The whole concept of your time on earth will disappear into a mental dot as the only thing 'familiar' now is looking at the same faces of the 144,000 elect, or whatever the hilarious fantasy figure is. A quick oblivion is the only option when faced with an everlasting oblivion of loneliness shipwrecked 'out there' in eternity. Still, there's always the endless sycophantic worship to look forward to each... I nearly wrote each day, but the concept of the day will go along with the disappearance of the earth into the outer layers of our 'soon' to be very bloated sun.
This is just emotionalism.

It's really boring.

I see. So you are not put off by the logical fallacies of bald assertion in both [1] and [2]?
You have no idea how logic works, do you?

You are not required to agree with anything I assert, but if you want to accuse me of being illogical, you have to show how my conclusion does not follow from the premises. Instead, you made up an argument and attributed it to me.

It would be equally valid to write "There is an afterlife, you need to just believe me, OK".
No, it wouldn't.

By all means:1. People who make bald assertions as if they are valid arguments are not to be trusted2. God-believers baldly assert the existence of their god, because they have nothing better3. Therefore, god-believers are not to be trusted
:yawn:

The standards of logical analysis assesses my version more likely to be logically correct, and if the standards of logical analysis are any guide of what can be said to be true (and of course they can fail spectacularly) then I win. Or words to that victorious effect.
I'll take that challenge. Let's find a professor of logic and pose to him which one of us has a sensibly formed argument.

$NZ50 says your arguments get laughed out of town.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Stuu:

"While your religion is a matter of personal experience, it is most important that you should be exposed to the knowledge of a vast number of other religious experiences (the diverse interpretations of other and diverse mortals) to the end that you may prevent your religious life from becoming egocentric—circumscribed, selfish, and unsocial.

Rationalism is wrong when it assumes that religion is at first a primitive belief in something which is then followed by the pursuit of values. Religion is primarily a pursuit of values, and then there formulates a system of interpretative beliefs. It is much easier for men to agree on religious values—goals—than on beliefs—interpretations. And this explains how religion can agree on values and goals while exhibiting the confusing phenomenon of maintaining a belief in hundreds of conflicting beliefs—creeds. This also explains why a given person can maintain his religious experience in the face of giving up or changing many of his religious beliefs. Religion persists in spite of revolutionary changes in religious beliefs. Theology does not produce religion; it is religion that produces theologic philosophy.

That religionists have believed so much that was false does not invalidate religion because religion is founded on the recognition of values and is validated by the faith of personal religious experience. Religion, then, is based on experience and religious thought; theology, the philosophy of religion, is an honest attempt to interpret that experience. Such interpretative beliefs may be right or wrong, or a mixture of truth and error.

The realization of the recognition of spiritual values is an experience which is superideational. There is no word in any human language which can be employed to designate this "sense," "feeling," "intuition," or "experience" which we have elected to call God-consciousness. The spirit of God that dwells in man is not personal—the Adjuster is prepersonal—but this Monitor presents a value, exudes a flavor of divinity, which is personal in the highest and infinite sense. If God were not at least personal, he could not be conscious, and if not conscious, then would he be infrahuman." UB 1955

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"For the sake of realism, imagine waiting at a railroad crossing while ten freight trains, each pulling 52 boxcars, move slowly by, one after another. That is how much space was available in the Ark, for its capacity was equivalent to 520 modern railroad stock cars. A barge of such gigantic size, with its thousands of built-in compartments (Gen. 6:14) would have been sufficiently large to carry two of every species of air-breathing animal in the world today (and doubtless the tendency toward taxonomic splitting has produced more “species” than can be justified in terms of Genesis “kinds”) on only half of its available deck space. The remaining space would have been occupied by Noah’s family, five additional representatives of each of the comparatively few kinds of animals acceptable for sacrifice, two each of the kinds that have become extinct since the Flood, and food for them all (Gen. 6:21) [1973, p. 23, emp. in orig.].

Whitcomb and Morris investigated the numbers of animals that would have been on the ark (using the highest possible estimates, and taxonomic figures provided by evolutionists), and showed that the biblical account can fit known scientific facts regarding these matters (1961, pp. 65-69). Their book, The Genesis Flood, was published in 1961. Thirty-five years later, John Woodmorappe expanded on their work, and produced what is likely the most exhaustive, well-researched feasibility study ever put into print dealing specifically with the ark’s construction and contents (1996). His data-based conclusions established beyond any doubt that the ark could do what it was designed to do. Since God was the Creator of all the animals, does it not make sense that He would know precisely how much room was needed for them on the ark?"
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=1413

The problem was feeding and care of the animals. With 8 people on duty, there would have been somewhere between 16,000 and 112,000 animals on board, (depending on how many "clean" and "unclean" animals there were).

So let's say 80,000 animals to be tended. They have to be fed, wastes have to be removed, etc. So 8,000 need to be fed and wastes removed each day. That's 100 per hour, per person, if they get 4 hours of sleep each day, and don't eat or do anything else.

Mind you, the waste has to be carried up to the top deck and tossed overboard. most of the hull will be below the waterline.

If you've ever tended animals, you'll know that 100 per hour is unrealistic at best.

Stuu

I'd prefer you engage rationally.
How about logically?

It's your worldview. You tell us how it is founded.
OK. My worldview is that I have to start by assuming that I do actually exist, and in the universe what you see is what you get. By 'see' I mean any information gained from the senses or from technological extensions to them like telescopes and gas chromatographs. So then I base my worldview on the picture of the universe built up from things that can be inferred from the scientific application of logic to empirical evidence. That does mean of course that my worldview is prone to change, but that is engaging, and for the big ideas it is usually only minor adjustments. This means I can learn about how the universe and its contents works, and what makes my fellow humans tick, which is enough to keep me going for the one lifetime I have. My worldview is based on what can be reasonably said to be true. I am a small part of the universe spontaneously making internal parts capable of understand itself.

Thank you for asking.

Most significantly with Paul's gospel.
And what do you think Paul brings to the evolution of ethical thinking, and especially for people today?

We're not talking about evolution. We're talking about reality while assuming the truth of your Darwinism. Given a small window of the assumption of the truth of evolution, it necessarily produced you and your ideas.
'Necessarily' doesn't help because of its use in philosophy. But you are right, both of us process ideas using brains built by natural selection.

Again, I said nothing even remotely like this.
No, I was commenting on the status of your concept in psychiatric terms, as far as I know anything about that field.

Try to listen carefully to what the words on the screen are telling you.
I usually push my ear quite firmly up against the monitor and can hear you clearly.
I'm not here to tell you what is right and wrong; I asked you how your worldview can provide a foundation for right and wrong. That is: Why should we believe your assertions when you are simply a product of evolution just like the rest of us?
And I think I have explained that in quite a bit of detail. To summarise: our ethics come from our inate understanding, shaped through natural selection by our tribal existence, and from agreements based on interactions within different communities. Even adopting a religion doesn't make very much practical different to that.

Stuu: [The scientific method is] the best way we have of weeding out failed ideas, like divine revelation.
How did you disprove divine revelation?
Please go back, press your ear hard against the screen and listen to what I said. Divine revelation is weeded out because is a failed method of epistemology by comparison with the scientific method. Science works, and when it comes to questions of whether divine revelation has been relevant, it is always science that believers turn to as they try to convince others of the verity of the revelation. It's not the other way round, for good reason. Science gives verifiably better-quality information than revelation, and one of the main reasons is Occam's Razor, where the more underlying assumptions you can remove the more reliable your information becomes. With divine revelation requiring the staggering assumption of the existence of some invisible and inaudible being that is claimed to have created and maintained the running of the entire universe, the quality of information from divine revelation must drop to close to zero. If divine revelation is just a face-saving way of expressing ideas conceived by human minds, then obviously the value is not zero. 'God told me' is not that rare an expression.

When you die, you will go to hell.
And will your invisible friend then set fire to me with sulfur for kindling? And will you be up there with Tertullian, nodding and grinning in a celebration of self-satisfaction? That's the impression I get.
Stuu: It requires that perpetrators be held to account.

And this will never happen, according to your model of the universe. You will never see justice.
So you agree it is only the perpetrators who should be held to account? Of course wrongdoers are held to account all the time. My point is that it will never be perfect, there will always be people who get away with it because we are civil and set high standards of proof as a protection for the innocent. So I reject your claim that in my view perpetrators are not held to account. But I don't think that is enough for you, I think you have a particularly miserable view of your fellow humans which might be diagnosed as sociopathic if you didn't have the 'excuse' of being a religious believer, as I mentioned earlier. I think actually you view almost all of humanity as deserving hellfire except, what is it, 144,000, including you? Some small 'elect', anyhow. Along with your denial of the means by which you came to exist on this planet, you view so many of your species as deserving vengeance for not accepting a human sacrifice. See how your religious meme makes really nasty ideas emerge from an otherwise decent person?

Stuu: What do you mean by 'reasonable an end' [in the case of a 'haywire brain' versus not]?
People are the product of evolution, according to your worldview.
What do you mean by 'reasonable an end'? That makes all the difference to the meaning of your previous statement. You and I are the products of natural selection, and every trait has variation in the population, those are fundamentals of how evolution works, and there is nothing magical about the appearance of some people whose brains malfunction to the point whether they become a danger to others. I'm sure that over the course of our evolutionary history those people were probably killed or left behind as the nomadic tribe moved on, or something like it. But perhaps this kind of behaviour emerges from a combination of genes coming together in one individual so the phenotype will not be easily removed by natural selection.

So, now, why are there people with dangerously malfunctioning brains according to your worldview? Did your god create perfect brains then decide not to step in when sin ruined everything? Is the problem that the dangerous brains have failed to let Jesus in? To judge by how many mentally unwell people think they hear Jesus, or even claim to be Jesus, it can't be true that Jesus has failed to make an impression. When they damage others, is that a sin?

Nothing that has ever happened will have any meaning. You're the one demanding that there is meaning to life under this scenario.
Under this scenario there won't be any such thing as meaning, because there won't be any life in our solar system. But I think you are claiming that you will be in some position to carry on finding meaning.

This is just emotionalism.
Well, you tell me what life in paradise will be like when everything you know now is irrelevant, because of a cosmological car crash, or later, when everything is evaporating black holes, or much later when all matter has been ripped back up into fundamental particles? The party carries on regardless, right? Except there will be nothing new to learn about cosmology because that will be over. You tell me about why you are so keen on living forever. And by what mechanism does meaning be perceived when matter doesn't exist anymore? Meaning is not constructed and held by the operation of neurons anymore, it must be magically transformed into some different means of cognition that doesn't depend on matter, since during the course of 'forever' all matter will disappear. Do you think you have really thought through the practicalities of what you wish for?

You have no idea how logic works, do you?
You assert what you wish to conclude. That is one of the most basic logical fallacies there is.

You are not required to agree with anything I assert, but if you want to accuse me of being illogical, you have to show how my conclusion does not follow from the premises.
Because it is also a non-sequitur that 'justice' requires an 'afterlife'. You have not established that link logically. So your syllogism is missing a nested syllogism: instead you just assert it as an assumption. Sloppy. What property of justice necessitates eternity? How do you establish that logically? Even then, how do you demonstrate that the logic is a good model for what is really going on? Quantum electrodynamics is the scientific theory that makes the most accurate predictions in all of science, yet the quantum mechanics behind it is bafflingly illogical. If you want to appeal to the principles of my worldview, you will have to go further than mere logic. There will need to be empirical evidence as well. Of course it would help if you got the logic right.

Instead, you made up an argument and attributed it to me.
Press your ear closely again: do you hear me attributing it to you?

Stuu: It would be equally valid to write "There is an afterlife, you need to just believe me, OK".
No, it wouldn't.
Yep, it's just bald assertion disguised as syllogism. A unicorn dressed as a sheep.
I'll take that challenge. Let's find a professor of logic and pose to him which one of us has a sensibly formed argument. $NZ50 says your arguments get laughed out of town.
I agree that what I wrote should be dismissed. But I think yours is at the front of the queue for ridicule.

Stuart

Stuu

Caino:

I suppose you have made some attempt to relate your UB copy-and-paste to the discussion through bolding some of the text, but if you are just going to leave in 'superideational', the proper noun 'Adjuster', 'prepersonal' , and the proper noun 'Monitor', which aren't in common usage or listed in dictionaries, then you might have to understand my conclusion that the UB is a kind of literary version of the Piltdown forgery: bits put together that are intended as a joke. And that includes the plagiarising of real science, which we have already discussed.

I care about what can be reasonably said to be true. This:

57:1.4 900,000,000,000 years ago, the Uversa archives testify, there was recorded a permit issued by the Uversa Council of Equilibrium to the superuniverse government authorizing the dispatch of a force organizer and staff to the region previously designated by inspector number 811,307. The Orvonton authorities commissioned the original discoverer of this potential universe to execute the mandate of the Ancients of Days calling for the organization of a new material creation

might be some kind of science fiction but it is not true about our universe. So as a source of serious knowledge, the book from which you take your quotes is unreliable, to put it mildly.

But let's give it a chance at these paragraphs containing an interesting philosophy. Your bolding seems to intend to draw attention to the idea that religious beliefs and practices gather round values. No doubt it is statistically true that religious communities share many values internally in common, and the values held by religious communities are sometimes starkly in contrast with the correlating values in non-religious communities. You can have an ethical discussion about the merits of each of a pair of competing values, but my observation is that many religious communities work together to protect values that are poorly thought-out or resistant to improvement or even dangerous to people physically and mentally. And, as can be seen from the kinds of arguments presented on ToL, religious systems seem to be effective in stunting the development of ethical thinking by their adherents.

As for religious experience, there is much about the brain that leads its owner to believing nonsense. The experience of awe, possibly interpreted as divine action must be accessible to all of us to some degree. You can interpret your feelings of much bigger things at play as your brain doing what it evolved to do, looking for the possibility that the rustle in the bushes was actually a sabretooth coming for you, so the population that survives were the ones that always thought the rustle was a sabretooth, resulting in a brain that sees patterns even when no pattern really exists. Alternatively you can imagine that the naturally occurring phenomena are backed by a pantheon of gods and demons and sprites and fairies and cherubs, all pulling the strings of some great pre-planned Marionette show.

So your piece really fails to analyse the phenomenon in any depth, frozen as it is in the thinking of the first half of the 20th Century.

I would prefer to read what you think, and not more of this book that steals the hard work of real scientists without giving due credit.

Stuart

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My worldview is...
I did not ask what it is; I asked how it is founded. Why should we believe your assertion that oblivion is all that waits?

Our ethics come from our inate understanding, shaped through natural selection by our tribal existence, and from agreements based on interactions within different communities. Even adopting a religion doesn't make very much practical different to that.
If we should believe your story because of "agreements based on interactions within different communities," then two problems arise:

1. The majority of communities hold to a belief in an afterlife.
2. There is no limit to what communities might believe.

Divine revelation is weeded out because is a failed method of epistemology by comparison with the scientific method.
This is a false dichotomy.

When it comes to questions of whether divine revelation has been relevant, it is always science that believers turn to as they try to convince others of the verity of the revelation.
No, it's not.

So you agree it is only the perpetrators who should be held to account?
You think there are some people who have not done anything that requires justice to be served?

Wrongdoers are held to account all the time.
Irrelevant. Justice on Earth will never be served in all cases.

My point is that it will never be perfect, there will always be people who get away with it because we are civil and set high standards of proof as a protection for the innocent. So I reject your claim that in my view perpetrators are not held to account.
:AMR:

You just got finished saying that "it will never be perfect," then you try to disagree with me saying it will never be perfect.

But I don't think that is enough for you, I think you have a particularly miserable view of your fellow humans which might be diagnosed as sociopathic if you didn't have the 'excuse' of being a religious believer, as I mentioned earlier. I think actually you view almost all of humanity as deserving hellfire except, what is it, 144,000, including you? Some small 'elect', anyhow. Along with your denial of the means by which you came to exist on this planet, you view so many of your species as deserving vengeance for not accepting a human sacrifice. See how your religious meme makes really nasty ideas emerge from an otherwise decent person?
:yawn:

Did your god create perfect brains then decide not to step in when sin ruined everything?
You're never read the Bible have you? Romans 5:8.

Under this scenario there won't be any such thing as meaning, because there won't be any life in our solar system.
Under this scenario, there is no meaning now.

But I think you are claiming that you will be in some position to carry on finding meaning.
Nope. We are assuming the truth of your worldview in order to test it.

Well, you tell me what life in paradise will be like when everything you know now is irrelevant, because of a cosmological car crash, or later, when everything is evaporating black holes, or much later when all matter has been ripped back up into fundamental particles? The party carries on regardless, right? Except there will be nothing new to learn about cosmology because that will be over. You tell me about why you are so keen on living forever. And by what mechanism does meaning be perceived when matter doesn't exist anymore? Meaning is not constructed and held by the operation of neurons anymore, it must be magically transformed into some different means of cognition that doesn't depend on matter, since during the course of 'forever' all matter will disappear. Do you think you have really thought through the practicalities of what you wish for?
Perhaps it is just imagination you lack. :idunno:

You assert what you wish to conclude. That is one of the most basic logical fallacies there is.
Nope.

I asserted two premises. That's how that is done. My conclusion follows from those two premises.

Because it is also a non-sequitur that 'justice' requires an 'afterlife'.
If the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true.

What property of justice necessitates eternity?
None.

How do you demonstrate that the logic is a good model for what is really going on? Quantum electrodynamics is the scientific theory that makes the most accurate predictions in all of science, yet the quantum mechanics behind it is bafflingly illogical.
Oh, you want to reject logic now?

If you want to appeal to the principles of my worldview
I prefer reality. :up:

Nope.
Yep, it's just bald assertion disguised as syllogism. A unicorn dressed as a sheep.
Nope.

What I wrote should be dismissed.

Way ahead of you.

Stuu

Stuu: My worldview is...
I did not ask what it is; I asked how it is founded. Why should we believe your assertion that oblivion is all that waits?
When I reply to a post line-by-line, I tend to go back and edit when it turns out the point was addressed a few lines further on...

If we should believe your story because of "agreements based on interactions within different communities," then two problems arise:
1. The majority of communities hold to a belief in an afterlife.
My statement started with "Our ethics come from...". You seem to be talking about something else, like why people believe crazy things. Did you want me to write about that instead?

2. There is no limit to what communities might believe.
Indeed. A man walking again after being executed, or being born of only one parent, or talking snakes and donkeys. The bible is full of absurdities that whole communities have believed.

Stuu: Divine revelation is weeded out because is a failed method of epistemology by comparison with the scientific method.
This is a false dichotomy.
Nope. It is a hierarchy, composed of the complete list of methods of epistemology. I only mentioned two from that list, but that doesn't make a dichotomy. If you want to point out a dichotomy, then you would have to claim that I am saying it is either science or divine revelation but not both. But that would be wrong because if you are making up things that 'god told you', then you are bound to guess something right at some point, or attribute what you know through some kind of scientific process to your god's voice-in-the-head, or whatever divine revelation is.

No, it's not.
http://bfy.tw/GHRU

You think there are some people who have not done anything that requires justice to be served?
Well what do you believe about which humans will be punished by hellfire, and what exactly they have done to deserve it?

You're never read the Bible have you? Romans 5:8.
But for how many thousand years did humans suffer under the corrupted creation before the miraculous martyrdom?

Under this scenario, there is no meaning now.
There is the meaning that you make for yourself, or that we all make collectively. That is the brilliant thing about our reality: there is no preexisting meaning that has been imposed on us, we are not robots. Within the confines of the realities of our situation as evolved African apes, purpose and meaning are entirely ours to decide.

We are assuming the truth of your worldview in order to test it.
OK. Well it seems to be standing up really well. But what do you claim about the meaning that will be possible to have once the heat death of the universe has ripped all matter apart? How will the meaning be retained physically, or expressed?

You seem to be in denial about a lot of realities of your situation. The rules of logic don't apply to you, your creationist ideas don't have to meet all the evidence available, only a narrow range of conceptions about natural history, and you don't seem willing to express a view on how this 'eternal life' you are looking forward to can be consistent with anything we know about the way the universe works. You deny the process by which the diversity of life, including you, appeared on the planet.

If the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true.
You've never heard of the undistributed middle then.
you know,
penguinsyllogism.png

Anyway, here's yours again:

Stripe: 1. Justice is real.
Stripe 2: Justice is not possible without an afterlife.
Stripe 3: Therefore, there is an afterlife.

Stuu: What property of justice necessitates eternity?
So there you go. You just denied your second premise. But that's not my point.

Your second premise assumes the existence of something called 'an afterlife' that you conclude exists in 3. You have assumed your conclusion. That's circular logic, also called begging the question.

Written out fully, your argument is something like:
1. Justice is real
2. Afterlife is real
3. Justice requires an afterlife
4. Therefore afterlife is real

See the problem?

Oh, you want to reject logic now?
No, I want to use logic as a tool that produces testable predictions. The testable prediction in the cartoon above can be disproved empirically. Shame there is no empirical evidence whatsoever for an afterlife. Even if your logic was valid, there is no reason that the universe has to behave as logically predicted.

Stuart

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Stuu: My worldview is...

When I reply to a post line-by-line, I tend to go back and edit when it turns out the point was addressed a few lines further on...

My statement started with "Our ethics come from...". You seem to be talking about something else, like why people believe crazy things. Did you want me to write about that instead?

Indeed. A man walking again after being executed, or being born of only one parent, or talking snakes and donkeys. The bible is full of absurdities that whole communities have believed.

Stuu: Divine revelation is weeded out because is a failed method of epistemology by comparison with the scientific method.

Nope. It is a hierarchy, composed of the complete list of methods of epistemology. I only mentioned two from that list, but that doesn't make a dichotomy. If you want to point out a dichotomy, then you would have to claim that I am saying it is either science or divine revelation but not both. But that would be wrong because if you are making up things that 'god told you', then you are bound to guess something right at some point, or attribute what you know through some kind of scientific process to your god's voice-in-the-head, or whatever divine revelation is.

http://bfy.tw/GHRU

Well what do you believe about which humans will be punished by hellfire, and what exactly they have done to deserve it?

But for how many thousand years did humans suffer under the corrupted creation before the miraculous martyrdom?

There is the meaning that you make for yourself, or that we all make collectively. That is the brilliant thing about our reality: there is no preexisting meaning that has been imposed on us, we are not robots. Within the confines of the realities of our situation as evolved African apes, purpose and meaning are entirely ours to decide.

OK. Well it seems to be standing up really well. But what do you claim about the meaning that will be possible to have once the heat death of the universe has ripped all matter apart? How will the meaning be retained physically, or expressed?

You seem to be in denial about a lot of realities of your situation. The rules of logic don't apply to you, your creationist ideas don't have to meet all the evidence available, only a narrow range of conceptions about natural history, and you don't seem willing to express a view on how this 'eternal life' you are looking forward to can be consistent with anything we know about the way the universe works. You deny the process by which the diversity of life, including you, appeared on the planet.

you know,
penguinsyllogism.png

Anyway, here's yours again:

Stripe: 1. Justice is real.
Stripe 2: Justice is not possible without an afterlife.
Stripe 3: Therefore, there is an afterlife.

So there you go. You just denied your second premise. But that's not my point.

Your second premise assumes the existence of something called 'an afterlife' that you conclude exists in 3. You have assumed your conclusion. That's circular logic, also called begging the question.

Written out fully, your argument is something like:
1. Justice is real
2. Afterlife is real
3. Justice requires an afterlife
4. Therefore afterlife is real

See the problem?

No, I want to use logic as a tool that produces testable predictions. The testable prediction in the cartoon above can be disproved empirically. Shame there is no empirical evidence whatsoever for an afterlife. Even if your logic was valid, there is no reason that the universe has to behave as logically predicted.

Stuart

Faith is evidence.
The Bible is evidence.
History is evidence.
Two or three witnesses establish a matter.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But that would be wrong because if you are making up things that 'god told you', then you are bound to guess something right at some point, or attribute what you know through some kind of scientific process to your god's voice-in-the-head, or whatever divine revelation is.
And this is question-begging nonsense.

Do you believe there are people who have done nothing deserving justice?

There is no preexisting meaning that has been imposed on us.
Because you say so?

According to your worldview, there is no meaning to life.

Fortunately, my argument was valid. But you didn't attack it on those grounds, did you? You just demanded that I not be allowed to assert my premises.

1. Justice is real.
2: Justice is not possible without an afterlife.
3: Therefore, there is an afterlife.

None.

You just denied your second premise.
Nope. Try reading it again.

Your second premise assumes the existence of something called 'an afterlife.'
Nope. Try reading it again.

Even if your logic was valid, there is no reason that the universe has to behave as logically predicted.

There's no point trying to reason with a man who refuses to stick to the standards of simple logic.

Stuu

Because you say so?
Well, apparently we are pretending that my worldview is true, so yes, because I say that is my worldview. Do you have any rational objection, or example that disproves it?

According to your worldview, there is no meaning to life.
Wrong, as I have explained quite carefully to you. You are creating a strawman argument, another logical fallacy.

Fortunately, my argument was valid.
My argument that logic doesn't always produce applicable conclusions is demonstrated by the cartoon. The invalidity of your argument is coming up, right, like when you bothered to read ahead and comprehend the whole post and not just react line-by-line, with no back-editing for the false accusations that were invalidated later on?

But you didn't attack it on those grounds, did you? You just demanded that I not be allowed to assert my premises.
You can assert what you like. It was you who snipped the version where I laid out all your premises for you. Did it look like I was censoring anything? You were the one who snipped my demonstration of your circular reasoning.

There's no point trying to reason with a man who refuses to stick to the standards of simple logic.
I agree. Or with a man who doesn't understand the logic he is arguing.

Stuart

Greg Jennings

Faith is evidence.
Which means that every single religion is true.
The Bible is evidence.
Then so is the Quran and the Rig Veda
History is evidence.
As long as it's established history and not conjecture, yes
Two or three witnesses establish a matter.
No. There would no need for court cases if that were true. People lie, people make visual errors, people misremember and create false memories shockingly easily

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Which means that every single religion is true.

Every single religion teaches different and even contradictory things. Things that contradict other things cannot all be true.

You could spend several lifetimes looking at all the religions of the world to find out which one is absolutely true. But to save yourself time, you could look at all the religions that are exclusive. That narrows it down quite a bit.

Christianity is one of the only (if not the only) religions that claims complete exclusivity in their teachings.

Paul says "if Christ did not die, then [Christianity] is in vain." If that's true, then the opposite is true as well. If Christ did rise from the dead, then all other faiths/beliefs are in vain, and Christianity is true.

So the best way to show that Christianity is wrong is to show that Christ did not rise from the dead.

Then so is the Quran and the Rig Veda

Sure, but as I said, two or three witnesses establish a matter (which I will explain below, since you seem to have jumped to the wrong conclusion about with the court system).

I don't know much about the Rigveda, but I do know a little about the Quran.

What I know is that the Quran teaches that Isaac and Ishmael are swapped. The Quran (or at least those who follow the teachings of it) believe a completely different story than what the Bible teaches about Abraham offering up his son, the most notable differences being: Ishmael instead of Isaac, a great sacrifice instead of the ram caught in thee thicket, and a piece of copper stopping Abraham's hand instead of God Himself.

It also teaches (if I remember correctly) that Ishmael's descendants are the chosen people of God, and not Isaac's, which doesn't fit the narrative of established history at all.

Speaking of which...

As long as it's established history and not conjecture, yes

How many details of the Bible have been confirmed over the course of history? I could list off a few for you, if you like.

Unlike most other religious texts and religions, the Bible has the flavor of realism.

If you were to look at any other account made by a prosperous nation about itself, you would find very little in the way of its shortcomings.

However, the Bible speaks of its own people, the Jews, as a wicked and evil nation, constantly falling away and rebelling against their God.

No. There would no need for court cases if that were true. People lie, people make visual errors, people misremember and create false memories shockingly easily

Ok, so you've misunderstood the phrase, "two or three witnesses shall establish a matter."

When the Bible says "two or three witnesses," It doesn't mean ONLY two or three, it means to weigh the evidence, and consider what the evidence is saying.

If God had said that court cases were not needed, Moses would not have put Exodus 18 in the Bible, which shows how courts should be set up to be efficient at bringing about justice, without wearing down the people.

There used to be a saying, "don't make a federal case out of it." Today, we make a federal case out of everything, even the smallest matter, and it grinds the people down, and court cases can take upwards of several years to establish what the punishment for a crime should be, if the criminal could even be convicted.

God says "two or three witnesses (not necessarily "eyewitnesses") shall establish a matter."

For example.

Spoiler
Let's say a criminal stabs a man in a back alley somewhere, and is able to flee from the scene before the body is discovered. A few hours later, someone sees the body and calls it in, the police arrive, and they begin their investigation. They find out after autopsying the body that the blade the criminal used was of a certain length, blade type, and shape by examining the wound. They can rule out suffocation, because there's no petechial hemorrhaging (I watch too many crime shows haha), and blood tests show that there was nothing bad in his system. So they've established that the cause of death was stabbing. By examining the man's hands, they find scratches and bruising, which indicates that he put up a fight before he was killed, and after finding skin cells under the man's fingernails, they run the DNA and bring up the profile of the criminal, which shows that the man is wanted for several previous crimes, including murder. Police find a knife tossed in a dumpster a few streets down, but are unable to find any fingerprints on the handle, which suggests that the criminal wore gloves. They find blood on the blade, even though it was wiped off somehow, and are able to confirm that it was the knife used in the murder. After recreating the murder using a 3D modeling program, the determine that in order for the blade to have entered at the angle that the wound indicates, the criminal would have to be a certain height. They also find footage from a traffic camera of the criminal coming out of the alley, even though his face was hidden by a mask, so they are able to determine about how tall the criminal is and his body type. The police then put out an APB (all-points bulletin) on the criminal, so that if someone sees him, the police can get to him and catch him. A few hours later, the criminal is spotted, and the police are able to pick him up, and bring him in for questioning. He gives them an alibi, which doesn't check out, so they examine his body, and find a few bruises and scratches that he is unable to provide adequate explanations for, which places him at the top of their suspect list. The police, after interviewing other persons of interest, dismiss them all, as their stories check out, and nothing can tie them to the murder. They also find out that the criminal purchased the same model knife a few days ago that was used in the murder.

So, (and I'm going to use a Biblical court system here, and then I will contrast it with what we have here today in America) in the Biblical justice system, the criminal would be locked up while the investigation is ongoing, and at the conclusion of the investigation, the evidence and the criminal would be brought before the judge who had jurisdiction over the area and people where the crime happened. The evidence would be presented, and the Judge would ask questions to the criminal, cross-examining him with the evidence, and determines the following:

1. the criminal is about the same size and mass of the man in the video, and he matches the requirements for the swing of the knife into the victim's body
2. the criminal is wanted for previous murders
3. the skin cells found underneath the victim's fingernails points to the criminal
4. the criminal purchased the same kind of knife used in the murder
5. the criminal has no valid alibi for the time of the murder, along with bruises that cannot be matched to his explanations for them
6. no other persons of interest could logically be tied to the murder

After considering those 6 facts, the Judge convicts the criminal of murder. The judge then offers to the victim's family the opportunity to be the ones to execute him, they accept, and the judge sentences the man to death by stabbing, sets the execution for the next morning at 0800, to be televised to the rest of the nation on the morning news. This entire event, from the time of the murder, to the execution of the criminal by the victim's family on public television, took less than 48 hours.

Now, here's just a summary of what would happen in our current system. We'll use the same scenario as above.

The police catch the criminal, and put him in a room for questioning, but the criminal says nothing but the infamous phrase, "I want a lawyer." and because the law demands that if a suspect demands to have a lawyer present, then one should be given to him. So a few hours are wasted waiting for a lawyer to show up, after which the lawyer demands to have some time alone with the criminal away from the police, during which the criminal tells the lawyer what happened and asks what he can do to get out of the punishment, and so they devise a strategy to help him get away with murder. An hour or so passes, and then the lawyer allows the police to begin their interrogation, in which they are unable to establish any solid details from him. However, as they still have 5 of the 6 pieces of evidence listed above, they have enough to take him to court. So a date is set for a few weeks later, and the criminal is put in jail until the court date. Fast forward a few weeks to the trial, and the evidnece is presented, and of course, the criminal's lawyer claims his client is innocent, and yada yada yada... This goes on for a few weeks, wearing everyone involved down, and since the evidence is overwhelming that the criminal is guilty, the jury gives their verdict, and the criminal is given 30 years in prison, but manages to get out in 15 for good behaviour, during which, every year the criminal makes an appeal to the judge, claiming he's innocent. During the entire time this is going on, the victim's family is grieving, and wondering if justice will ever be served to the one who took their loved one away from them.

Total time from crime committed to end of punishment? A little over 15 years, during which the criminal was able to mock his victim's family every day by using their tax dollars to keep himself alive.

Now, out of the above evidence, could you rate for me each piece of evidence on a scale of 1-10, with 10 very strong, and 1 being very weak?