Why Theonomy?

Justin (Wiccan)

deardelmar said:
...under US law adultery is not a crime. Adultery should, however, be a crime and if it was a crime like it should be they should be arrested.

OK, let's open this up to everyone.

What is the Biblical justification for theonomic government in Gentile nations?

Justin

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The thread you got it from was open to everyone.

Justin (Wiccan)

deardelmar said:
The thread you got it from was open to everyone.

Yes, it was. But this is a separate topic, and threads that have gone on for a while tend to be ignored by those who have lost interest. I wished to open a new thread.

Justin

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Asserting that adultery should be a crime is not the same thing as asserting that the government should be a Theonomy.

Justin (Wiccan)

deardelmar said:
Asserting that adultery should be a crime is not the same thing as asserting that the government should be a Theonomy.

You're quite correct: I do not state that you are arguing for theonomy. But your statement reminded me of this question, and I wished to ask it.

Justin

Caledvwlch

And look at that, no one has answered it, surprise, surprise. I'm a former theonomist turned back to the good side. I don't think Old Testement law should be enforced today, and I don't see much reason to believe that it was ever enforced to it's written extent. There's a lot of weird and scary stuff in there. Deut. 25:11-12 come to mind.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I beleive there are certain things found in the Mosaic Law that should be enforced today, as a criminal code. And I believe the death penalty should be enforced for such things, as murder.

Justin (Wiccan)

Lighthouse said:
I beleive there are certain things found in the Mosaic Law that should be enforced today, as a criminal code. And I believe the death penalty should be enforced for such things, as murder.

OK, that's at least a start. However, what I am interested is Biblical support for any aspect of the Mosaic Law applying to Gentile nations today.

Justin

Freak

Captial crimes considered under the Old Testament should be considered crimes under the New Covenant, ideally. However, with the sinfulness of humanity, I doubt, that any government of the world will adopt the fulness of Biblical Law. So, it is a moot point. However, we should utilize the Law as a tutor to bring humanity to Jesus Christ.

Carver

As a member of the U.S. Military, I can be court martialed for adultery under Article 134 of the U.C.M.J. Maximum punishment is dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and one year confinement.

And for those who don't think that's enough, I'm going to expound a little. One year in the brig isn't much, but it is still going to suck. Forfeiture of all pay and allowances means I no longer have any money. As for dishonorable discharge, well, that ruins the rest of my life. Most job applications either ask for social security number or they ask the question: Have you ever been discharged from the military under other than honorable conditions? From either of those two means, they can determine my conduct in the military. If they see a dishonorable discharge, pretty much guarenteed that I don't get the job.

Justin (Wiccan)

Lighthouse said:
I'm with Freak on this one.

OK, you and Jay have expressed that, and I respect your opinions. What I'm more interested in is Biblical justification as to why the Mosaic Law applies to Gentile nations today.

Justin

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The Mosaic Law has never applied to Gentile nations. And it does not apply today. However, right and wrong do apply. And the civil laws, if applied, would make for a better situation. If murderers were all put to death for their crimes, less people would commit murder, and no one who had been caught would commit any more murders. Same for many crimes. But as it stands now, sometimes murderers are let back on the street, and they kill, again and again. But if they had been sentenced to death, they wouldn't kill anymore. Same for rapists, and child molesters. Although child molestation is never specifically confronted in the Mosaic Law, I think we can agree that it is wrong. And can you imagine the ramifications for the RCC if child molesters were put to death when found guilty? But, today's las allow molesters back out onto the streets in abuot seven years. That is one of the biggest atrocities of civil law these days.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Justin (Wiccan) said:
What is the Biblical justification for theonomic government in Gentile nations?
First Timothy 1:8-11 - "But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust."

Ninjashadow

Caledvwlch said:
Deut. 25:12-13 come to mind.

13 is about weights and measures. Did you mean 11-12 or do you find something wrong with 13?

Also, in some states adultery is an arrestable offense as long as it is "open and notorious."

Caledvwlch

Ninjashadow said:
13 is about weights and measures. Did you mean 11-12 or do you find something wrong with 13?

Also, in some states adultery is an arrestable offense as long as it is "open and notorious."
Yeah, my bad. 11-12. Twisted.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
First Timothy 1:8-11 - "But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust."
BINGO!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Define Theonomy.

It seems to me that the Bible calls for a Monarchy, a Constitutional Monarchy to be more precise. That is to say, that it should be a Monarchy which is run by the rule of law not by the fiat of the king. The king does not make laws he simply enforces the ones that exist and makes rulings on matters of dispute along with a quite elaborate system of judges; the king, of course, being the supreme judge of the land.

This system, it might interest you to know, is not claimed by the Bible, or by God, or anyone else that I know of, to be perfect; only that it is the best possible system given the human beings whom God has given it to run.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Caledvwlch

Clete said:
Define Theonomy.

It seems to me that the Bible calls for a Monarchy, a Constitutional Monarchy to be more precise. That is to say, that it should be a Monarchy which is run by the rule of law not by the fiat of the king. The king does not make laws he simply enforces the ones that exist and makes rulings on matters of dispute along with a quite elaborate system of judges; the king, of course, being the supreme judge of the land.

This system, it might interest you to know, is not claimed by the Bible, or by God, or anyone else that I know of, to be perfect; only that it is the best possible system given the human beings whom God has given it to run.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Why a monarchy then? If the monarch does not rule by his word, then why not a representative republic? Why not a dictator?