Is God Truly All Powerful?

servent101

Just to add, so ther is no missunderstanding

The Scriptures are Sacred, when they are kept in their context... but what is done to Them - mankind is completley beguiled and confused by them, making doctrine and making conjecture where there is no instruction to do so whatever.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Flesh is a metaphor for sin. Sin is in the realm of wrong moral choices/volition. If we make sin a substance, that puts us in the realm of metaphysics. These wrong assumptions lead to confusion. We are responsible for sin because we use our minds, bodies, and wills contrary to God. Selfish choices lead to sin, not a genetic Adamic nature ('original' sin). Paul talked about yielding our members to sin (flesh) or righteousness. He did not divorce volition from victorious Christian living. Obedience (love) and disobedience (selfishness) are OT and NT themes.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Romans 7:20

The will is the seat of sin. There is not a thing back of the will from Adam that causes us to sin. Sin involves will and intellect. If there was an impersonal force that makes us sin, we would not be held accountable for something we could not help. Paul's argument does not contradict other explicit passages that emphasize obedience, choice, yielding, etc.Through ongoing living for the flesh, one forms habitual patterns that give us a bent or propensity to sin. Paul struggled with flesh vs spirit. Most believers feel a pull to gratify sensual things at times over walking in the Spirit. Believers can experience greed, lust, anger, gluttony, etc. These are not nebulous flesh things back of the will. They are legitimate desires and feelings out of control and involve a volitional/mental element. If a person overeats, they cannot blame the flesh and assume no responsibility. They do not have to fill their face, though the desire and temptation becomes stronger the more one yields to it. We can chose to be a glutton or to have self-control with the Spirit's help.

I would not use Rom. 7:20 for a proof text for an Adamic nature genetically passed on. The tenure of all his teaching is that sin involves lawlessness, disobedience, selfishness, wrong choices, etc. Continuous, habitual sin will lead to bondage patterns where it will seem one has no control...we will feel helpless, but Christ can set us free to yield our members for righteousness and obedience (Rom. 6-8).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Did I say it was a proof text for "original sin?" NO! Don't assume, godrulz.:rolleyes:

Your view of 'flesh' seems to be classic 'original sin' concepts. You object if I say it is not a literal thing in us causing us to sin.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I never said it was literal, or causing us to sin. But can you not sin? Sin is of the unredeemed. Sin is not counted against that which is redeemed. Sin is of the old nature. We are not who we were. Christ died in our place, and now He lives in our place.

servent101

The idea of overcoming sin... that we need to learn how to overcome the desire of the flesh,,, and exactly how do we do that?

What do we need to know - for a whole lot of us are not doing all that well.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Christ already overcame sin. Of course, I'm not surprised you didn't know that.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
servent101 said:
The idea of overcoming sin... that we need to learn how to overcome the desire of the flesh,,, and exactly how do we do that?

What do we need to know - for a whole lot of us are not doing all that well.

With Christ's Love

Servent101
You asked this earlier (at least I think it was you, I've had a fever since then). What a terrific question! The short answer is that you go on to perfection the exact same way that you were saved in the first place, by faith and faith alone. You must reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God. The Biblical facts are that you have been crucified in Christ and risen with Him also and are now a new creation, totally and completely acceptable to the Father; completely without sin; completely without any guilt whatsoever. It is when you place your faith in these Biblical facts that God then begins to work into your character that lifestyle which we all desire to lead. The very life of Jesus Christ Himself is made manifest in our daily lives when we walk by faith by the power of the Spirit of the living God.

That's how it's done. That's the only way it's done. All other avenues are dead ends. The Holy Spirit Himself will see to it that you fail. Indeed, failure is one of His primary tools to teach us that He is the only way.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Clete said:
You asked this earlier (at least I think it was you, I've had a fever since then). What a terrific question! The short answer is that you go on to perfection the exact same way that you were saved in the first place, by faith and faith alone. You must reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God. The Biblical facts are that you have been crucified in Christ and risen with Him also and are now a new creation, totally and completely acceptable to the Father; completely without sin; completely without any guilt whatsoever. It is when you place your faith in these Biblical facts that God then begins to work into your character that lifestyle which we all desire to lead. The very life of Jesus Christ Himself is made manifest in our daily lives when we walk by faith by the power of the Spirit of the living God.

That's how it's done. That's the only way it's done. All other avenues are dead ends. The Holy Spirit Himself will see to it that you fail. Indeed, failure is one of His primary tools to teach us that He is the only way.

Resting in Him,
Clete
:BRAVO:

servent101

Clete

This is good, but the part of where you say
It is when you place your faith in these Biblical facts
... not that I do not believe you, but what are the Biblical facts, as you did not quote your source of what you said.

All in all there is still that which Paul says, that it is not he who sins, that it is the sin that is within him, and Paul also says that one who claims to be without sin, is a liar.

What exactly is sin? - from the Greek word - I understand that the word we translate as sin is the same word a person who misses the target, for instance when shooting an arrow would use... so to fall short of hitting the target is sin, some say to fall short of perfection is to sin.

So if sin is not doing something we are trying to do, perfectly - to me I have posted on this many times, that sin is not trying to do certain acts... for when we try to be of pure motive, we no longer are trying simply to not be deceivers, or if we try to be chaste, we no longer just try to shut off the lustful thoughts, when we sin, we clearly are falling short or missing the mark of perfection.

The concept of faith is good, but in reality, if we have any self remembering, the process of hitting the mark, or becoming chaste, or of pure motive, etc. most often entails work. For example if we have a problem of lust, we simply cannot shut off our mind, the opposite needs to be done, when we see a member of the opposite sex, we need to look for the attributes of a godly person, and cherish these in our hearts - often this is simply work - we have to work at being "set apart" from the world.

At any rate the concept that God will help us, God will open the doors to the knowledge that will keep us from being destroyed - for God does say that his children are often destroyed for lack of knowledge.

Faith is important, and I believe the shield of faith is so important, that yes we are saved, no matter how entangled we are in imperfection - but this does not mean that we are to simply believe we are pure and holy, and have no need of effort to change our thinking patterns around... to gain the knowledge of what is pure, and what is proper thought.

Hopefully we do not differ to much on this issue, to think that there is no process of intelligent thought that we need to know, not only what not to do - as seems to be the rule, do not do these things - so what do we do? - for if we know what to do, this will consume the imperfection in our lives. Granted yes, by the laying on of hands - but often as Jesus said, when the demon is released, he comes back and finds the house empty? Why? because the house is not full of love for the Lord. Yet is the process of the work necessary - and yes it can be a work of love, is the work of filling our house full of Godliness - is this not also a way to reach the mark of perfection?

All in all there is a tendency in today’s church to feed off of other people, to maintain a mindset that is able to keep from doing certain things – usually the things that are easily articulated. Love is not easy to articulate, nor greed, nor any of the weightier matters of the Law – but these are the ones that contradict the putting of stigma on people who are falling short in more easily articulated ways – and it is apparent to me that unless one is of the high and mighty self righteous attitude against such easily articulated sins – they die of loneliness at the local church, there is no fellowship for them there. This is very hard to articulate and understand – the mindset – that people have concerning sin – that the easily articulated sins – one’s condemnation of them is the key to fellowship in the church – but this is simply in itself falling short of learning how to bring one’s brother and sister back to the right path – the Path that leads to life. You may disagree, and probably do – but really, how well is your church doing in reaching out to the lost and helping people overcome their shortfalls?

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
servent101 said:
Clete
...not that I do not believe you, but what are the Biblical facts, as you did not quote your source of what you said.
Well where would I start? This is basically the gospel according to Paul. Read Romans is I suppose the first thing I would have you do and then just keep reading on through Titus, and then read Romans again. I'm not kidding or making light of your question here, it's just I think you've asked a bigger question than perhaps you realized when you were asking it. For me to quote the material you need to understand to gain the victory your groping for in books like "Bondage Breakers" would literally be tantamount to quoting the collective works of the apostle Paul.

All in all there is still that which Paul says, that it is not he who sins, that it is the sin that is within him, and Paul also says that one who claims to be without sin, is a liar.
Notice though that Paul does not identify himself with his sin. This is key. You are identified in Him (Jesus, not Paul), you must maintain your focus on this, not on your flesh (i.e on your sin).

What exactly is sin? - from the Greek word - I understand that the word we translate as sin is the same word a person who misses the target, for instance when shooting an arrow would use... so to fall short of hitting the target is sin, some say to fall short of perfection is to sin.

So if sin is not doing something we are trying to do, perfectly - to me I have posted on this many times, that sin is not trying to do certain acts... for when we try to be of pure motive, we no longer are trying simply to not be deceivers, or if we try to be chaste, we no longer just try to shut off the lustful thoughts, when we sin, we clearly are falling short or missing the mark of perfection.
You're missing it here by a mile! (The point, not the mark.)
The whole point is that in Him you can no longer miss the mark because He has already hit the perfect bull's eye and His marksmanship has been credited to your account. What you do no longer matters as far as your relationship with God is concerned.

The concept of faith is good, but in reality, if we have any self remembering, the process of hitting the mark, or becoming chaste, or of pure motive, etc. most often entails work.
Destruction! You just drove right off the cliff, crashed and burned to smithereens. Your work is filth. Your work is blazing with Hell's fire before you complete it. Stop wasting your time and rest in His finished work; rest in Him! That's all there is for you to do, everything else is a waste of your energy and counter productive.

For example if we have a problem of lust, we simply cannot shut off our mind, the opposite needs to be done, when we see a member of the opposite sex, we need to look for the attributes of a godly person, and cherish these in our hearts - often this is simply work - we have to work at being "set apart" from the world.
Impossible! You cannot do it and even if you can, you will have received your reward in full if you are the one who accomplished it and there will be another sinful something or other that you do that is equally as problematic that you haven't begun to address. I'm telling you, STOP TRYING! You're wasting your time, you can't do it anyhow, so why bother? Besides, why would you want to do that which has been done for you by God? How presumptuous is that?

At any rate the concept that God will help us, God will open the doors to the knowledge that will keep us from being destroyed - for God does say that his children are often destroyed for lack of knowledge.
You are being destroyed, or at least your Christian walk is being destroyed by your lack of knowledge alright!
Listen to this and listen real close! (Okay, I know you're reading but you know what I mean ;) ) If you're not careful, you'll miss the point here.

GOD WILL NOT HELP YOU!!!

Here, let me say that again...

GOD WILL NOT HELP YOU!!!

Gal. 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.​

This is God's show not yours. You have been summarily executed in Him and no longer have any input. God will do it by Himself or it will not be done, period.
This "God help me" trap is the killer of most Christian's daily walks. God is not about helping you live a righteous life, He's about living His life through you without your help. As soon as you begin trying to help, God sits back and watches you fail so as to teach you to keep your filthy little grubby hands out of it.

Faith is important, and I believe the shield of faith is so important, that yes we are saved, no matter how entangled we are in imperfection - but this does not mean that we are to simply believe we are pure and holy, and have no need of effort to change our thinking patterns around... to gain the knowledge of what is pure, and what is proper thought.
Well you hit on the golden three there, didn't you? Faith, hope and knowledge!
Oh wait, that's not it, is it! It's faith, hope and love, right?
You got the importance of faith down and you assurance of salvation is the very definition of hope, where you've missed it here is in the love department. Now, don't take my methods of communicating this too personally, I know that this isn't what you were aiming at when you said this. I'm just using the opportunity you unwittingly handed me to drive home the point.
Love is the great secret. Love is the only motivation which will gain you any progress in the Christian life. To love is the very definition of what it means to have Christ living through you. Love God, that's it. That's all the knowledge you need, the rest is window dressing.

Hopefully we do not differ too much on this issue, to think that there is no process of intelligent thought that we need to know, not only what not to do - as seems to be the rule, do not do these things - so what do we do? - for if we know what to do, this will consume the imperfection in our lives.
I'm sorry my friend but I'm afraid we couldn't differ much more than we do on this point. Basically everything you said here is wrong. It isn't about rules; do this and that; don't do this and certainly don't do that. It's just not about that at all!
Col. 2: 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations-- 21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," 22 which all concern things which perish with the using--according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body,but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.​

You are free to do what you want! The key is allowing God to change what you want.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in (i.e. Love) the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.​

Granted yes, by the laying on of hands - but often as Jesus said, when the demon is released, he comes back and finds the house empty? Why? Because the house is not full of love for the Lord. Yet is the process of the work necessary - and yes it can be a work of love, is the work of filling our house full of Godliness - is this not also a way to reach the mark of perfection?
Absolutely NOT! You are not a Jew! You are not a member of the nation of Israel. You are not a member of the Circumcision. You are not under the law. You are a member of, and only of, the Body of Christ! You are to have nothing to do with the flesh! Jesus did not teach what you need during His earthly ministry, Paul did. (Please don't freak out and take that last sentence to mean more than it says, okay?)
Don't take my emphatic tone as anger, just passion. I understand where you're coming from on this really. There was a time when I had read Bondage Breakers and several other books like it and thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I urge you to believe me when I say it doesn't work; it too is a dead end. Trust me, I've been down that road and you will find nothing there but frustration and guilt. I seriously recommend throwing that book in the trash; it is quite worthless if what you want is to find out how to live the Christian life.

All in all there is a tendency in today’s church to feed off of other people, to maintain a mindset that is able to keep from doing certain things – usually the things that are easily articulated. Love is not easy to articulate, nor greed, nor any of the weightier matters of the Law – but these are the ones that contradict the putting of stigma on people who are falling short in more easily articulated ways – and it is apparent to me that unless one is of the high and mighty self righteous attitude against such easily articulated sins – they die of loneliness at the local church, there is no fellowship for them there.
I have attended exactly two churches in my lifetime that even come close to understanding how to live a truly victorious Christian life. One is pastored by Bob Hill, the other by Bob Enyart. That's not to say that they're the only two churches that exist but only that they are exceedingly rare. Chances are if you ever get a hold of this teaching you'll catch yourself almost wishing you hadn't, until you remember the benefits of course. The point being that holding to the truth isn't usually easy and never in the mainstream.

This is very hard to articulate and understand – the mindset – that people have concerning sin – that the easily articulated sins – one’s condemnation of them is the key to fellowship in the church – but this is simply in itself falling short of learning how to bring one’s brother and sister back to the right path – the Path that leads to life. You may disagree, and probably do – but really, how well is your church doing in reaching out to the lost and helping people overcome their shortfalls?
Well, like I said, practically no church in existence knows how to teach people such things. They don't have a clue about much of anything except how to get saved and put people under the law. After that, they turn to handing people books like Bondage Breaker's and T.D. Jakes' worthless crap. The churches that do the best are those who send people to the books of Paul but even most of them do so for utterly incorrect reasons and only end up helping their membership in spite of themselves.
I personally attend a Baptist church which, as churches go, is a pretty good one but they don't get it either really; not in regards to this issue anyway. If you asked them how to stop sinning they would tell you to read the Bible every day and pray. Beyond that they would tell you to avoid temptation and resist the devil and he will flee from you and by the way follow the ten commandments. And if you pressed much further, you'd be handed some book pertaining to some specific sin or problem, or else you'd be sent to a Christian counselor who would then give you a book pertaining to some specific sin or problem. It's pathetic really. I just can't believe that I used to be one of those Christian counselors! :doh:

Okay, now that I've ragged on books and people who lean on them too heavily, let me recommend a book to you. This book is different though. It is one of a very few extra biblical books that deals exclusively with this issue that I have ever seen and it does a terrific job a establishing this whole idea Biblically, as you asked about at the beginning of this post.
It seems that perhaps I've recommended this book to you before but I may have you confused with someone else so just in case here's a link to a online copy of...
Principles of Spiritual Growth by Miles J. Stanford.

You might also try to contact Pastor Hill at www.biblicalanswers.com and request of copy of his booklet entitled "You Cannot Live the Christian Life". What a brilliant little booklet!

Well, if you can't tell by the length of this post, this is my very favoritest subject to talk about. I'll answer all the questions you might have, just keep 'em comin'.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

servent101

Clete
everything else is a waste of your energy and counter productive.

What of understanding exactly what it is to be as you say
alive to God.
God then begins to work into your character that lifestyle which we all desire to lead.

This is work – a work of joy and love, but still work.

I admire your Biblical knowledge, but what you present here is a lack of knowledge for the person – you seem to just suggest a four letter word – faith, but if faith takes root and starts to grow, for instance in knowledge of what is actually meant by being alive in God, or if God starts to work in us – the how – it seems you do not accept this transformation as being of “note” that we cannot share with one another the “ways” God is filling our lives with love for him – as this is not the faith that you seem to want to communicate.
For me it is so easy for you to misunderstand what I am trying to say – and all in all the words you use are correct, but they just end off with nothing more than having trust in God, knowledge of His Son, and to me anyways, when God does try to help and get us up out of the mire, there are people who can help, and God uses these people – but you seem to just want to shut them up and tell the person to rely on the words, that God does not work in our lives in any tangible way other than by Faith, that there is no knowledge that is useful that God instructs us with – other than Faith. So much is taught by the parable of the unclean Spirit who is cast from a person – the demon returns and finds the house empty of love for God – knowledge of God, the Mysteries of the Universe, and when the demon returns to inhabit that person, the state of the person is two fold worse. Faith does cast out demons – but what heals the heart, is knowledge of God.

I trust this is not what you mean, but this is what I get from reading your post… so in the same way I say you did not actually read correctly what I wrote, I know I did not read what you wrote in the way you wanted to say what you said.

Anyways – looking forward to your reply. – we may just be talking past one another.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
servent101 said:
Clete

What of understanding exactly what it is to be as you say
That will come, but not by your effort. Rest in Him, period.

This is work – a work of joy and love, but still work.
It's not yours though, but God's.

I admire your Biblical knowledge, but what you present here is a lack of knowledge for the person – you seem to just suggest a four letter word – faith, but if faith takes root and starts to grow, for instance in knowledge of what is actually meant by being alive in God, or if God starts to work in us – the how – it seems you do not accept this transformation as being of “note” that we cannot share with one another the “ways” God is filling our lives with love for him – as this is not the faith that you seem to want to communicate.
:confused:
I don't think I follow you here. Perhaps you could give me an example of what you mean. There are countless ways God can work His righteousness into our character. All I'm getting at is our effort is not one of them. He will not except our help and He will not help us to do it. We must die, so that He can live through us. It is done entirely by faith and faith alone. You didn't help God save you and you don't get to help Him sanctify you either.

For me it is so easy for you to misunderstand what I am trying to say – and all in all the words you use are correct, but they just end off with nothing more than having trust in God, knowledge of His Son, and to me anyways, when God does try to help and get us up out of the mire, there are people who can help, and God uses these people – but you seem to just want to shut them up and tell the person to rely on the words, that God does not work in our lives in any tangible way other than by Faith, that there is no knowledge that is useful that God instructs us with – other than Faith.
Again, God uses a million different things to grow us up in Him including study of the word of God and relationships with other people. I did not mean to suggest otherwise. I agree that it is easy to misunderstand each other on this issue. It would be very easy to take this teaching too far and turn yourself into some sort of hermit or something but that isn't what I'm getting at.
The thing is that people, especially Christians, are all about self improvement. In fact, some church services are indistinguishable from a secular self-improvement seminar complete with motivational speaker and books for sale in the foyer. The problem with that is (not that there's only one problem with it) that it is completely out of phase with what Paul teaches us about who we are right now in Christ.

God’s basis must be our basis for acceptance. There is no other. We are "accepted in the beloved" (Eph. 1:6) Our Father is fully satisfied with His beloved Son on our behalf, and there is no reason for us not to be. Our satisfaction can only spring from and rest in His satisfaction. It is from God to us, not from us to God. J. N. Darby was very clear on this: "When the Holy Spirit reasons with man, He does not reason from what man is for God, but from what God is to man. Souls reason from what they are in themselves as to whether God can accept them. He cannot accept you thus; you are looking for righteousness in yourself as a ground of acceptance with Him. You cannot get peace whilst reasoning in that way.

"The Holy Spirit always reasons down from what God is, and this produces a total change in my soul. It is not that I abhor my sins; indeed I may have been walking very well; but it is ‘I abhor myself.’ This is how the Holy Spirit reasons; He shows us what we are, and that is one reason why He often seems to be very hard and does not give peace to the soul, as we are not relieved until we experientially, from our hearts, acknowledge what we are.

"Until the soul comes to that point He does not give it peace—He could not; it would be healing the wound slightly. The soul has to go on until it finds there is nothing to rest on but the abstract goodness of God; and then, ‘If God be for us, who can be against us?’ (Rom. 8:31)."

Sadly today, most believers actually reason just the opposite—from themselves to God. When all is going well and God seems to be blessing, then it is that they feel He loves and accepts them. But when they are stumbling and everything seems dry and hard, then they feel that He does not love and accept them. How can this be? There is nothing about us to commend us to God, our acceptance being in Christ, plus the fact that most of our true spiritual development comes through the dry and hard times. Thank God, He has accepted us in His Son, and upon this fact we must rest our faith. As in justification, our acceptance is by grace alone.​

So much is taught by the parable of the unclean Spirit who is cast from a person – the demon returns and finds the house empty of love for God – knowledge of God, the Mysteries of the Universe, and when the demon returns to inhabit that person, the state of the person is two fold worse. Faith does cast out demons – but what heals the heart, is knowledge of God.
That's just it! YOUR HOUSE IS NOT EMPTY! God has moved in a taken permanent residency there and no demon or unclean spirit or anything else of the kind can have any part in you. If you are trying to keep the demons out by gaining knowledge of God, let me just tell you now, you will fail.

I trust this is not what you mean, but this is what I get from reading your post… so in the same way I say you did not actually read correctly what I wrote, I know I did not read what you wrote in the way you wanted to say what you said.

Anyways – looking forward to your reply. – we may just be talking past one another.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101
Well that may well be. It is quite common for that to happen when discussing this issue. And I apologize for having taken so long to respond. I've been on a camping trip all weekend.
Let me close out this post with one additional quote from Stanford's book which sort of sums up what I'm getting at in two sentences...

"To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only.

"To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself.​

Resting in Him,
Clete