In general, what do you think of TV?

In general, what do you think of TV?

• I love it! TV is a big part of my life.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • TV is good. I watch it at least some everyday.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Its OK. TV is somewhat useful.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I could do without TV, although I do watch it on occaision.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • TV is not part of my life. I rarely if ever watch TV.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • TV is awful.

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
I figured that this was something you were doing with your parent(s), not on your own. It was just a suggestion.
I'm 24. Do you think I should still be living wiht my parents?

Of course, my dad might like that price.

Mr. 5020

Lighthouse said:
I'm 24. Do you think I should still be living wiht my parents?
For some reason, you give the impression of one that lives with his parents. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :noid:

Mr. 5020

Lighthouse said:
Of course, my dad might like that price.
If so, let me know. I'll hook him up.*

*Free installation. Free activation. $49.99 credit on first bill. Only applies by going through myself.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'll talk to him. And I will be living wiht him after this weekend.:eek:

Can you hook me up with a job, so I can move out on my own?

Mr. 5020

Lighthouse said:
I'll talk to him. And I will be living wiht him after this weekend.:eek:

Can you hook me up with a job, so I can move out on my own?
If there's a call center in your area (any call center), go for it. They're the perfect job to have while looking for a job. But no, I can only hook up people who live down here with a job right now.

SOTK

Mr. 5020 said:
*Free installation. Free activation. $49.99 credit on first bill. Only applies by going through myself.

That's a good deal! I wish I could have gotten something like that! :sozo2:

Justin (Wiccan)

Lighthouse said:
The closest call center's probably in Indy.

Don't just look for DishNet call centers ... the temp agencies are probably the best place to get call center-type jobs. If you've got any previous experience, that helps on the interview, but most call centers train "from the ground up," so they'll take first-timers.

One of my best jobs was at a call center--technical support for Apple and Adobe. $12 an hour.

Justin

Mr. 5020

Justin (Wiccan) said:
Don't just look for DishNet call centers ... the temp agencies are probably the best place to get call center-type jobs. If you've got any previous experience, that helps on the interview, but most call centers train "from the ground up," so they'll take first-timers.

One of my best jobs was at a call center--technical support for Apple and Adobe. $12 an hour.

Justin
You're right. Most call-centers do train people that know nothing about the field. And they usually pay competetive no-education wages.

one4christ

Television is the 'true' opiate of the masses.

Because television is a form of passive learning, it requires no thinking skills. Reading on the other hand requires the construction of concepts, places, events, characters, etc. in the mind of the reader and thoughtful consideration of which option to choose is required for each of these. Since these constructs are not provided by default, mental skills are required to produce them. Unlike television, reading allows one to pause and reflect on what has been written which develops critical thinking skills. (try a web search on television and passive learning)

Television is a medium among many others by which information can be communicated. If it's use is viewed in light of it's limitations, it can be a useful tool. If it is a hinderance in our relationship with God, with others or harmful to ourselves, then it has become and idol and we must repent.

If you're really against Television, here is the website for you...

www.turnoffyourtv.com

Last edited:

one4christ

Lighthouse said:
I have learned plenty from television.

There are plenty of opportunities to learn from television. One of my personal favorites is MythBusters. Something is blown up at least every other show, so it is not only educational but entertaining as well! :D

In addition to being a method of passive learning, it has been hypothesized that television watching contributes to short attention span and eventually leads to the development of ADD (especially in young children). Television appeals first to our senses (sights and sounds), and secondly to our congnitive faculties (like reason and what is true or false). When reading, we are in better control of accepting or rejecting the material because we must inititate the learning process, and we must rely more heavily upon previously learned concepts to judge the content for consistency/accuracy with what we aready know (or must learn to procede).

Not only has television reduced the ability to think critically by it's method of passive learning, our schools have contributed to this problem by steering teachers into 'fact based' teaching. Tests have been reduced to multiple choice and true false questions, and fewer essay type questions that demonstrate the student has truly absorbed and comprehends the material being taught. Education no longer teaches critical thinking, but this is a completely different topic...

Justin (Wiccan)

one4christ said:
There are plenty of opportunities to learn from television. One of my personal favorites is MythBusters. Something is blown up at least every other show, so it is not only educational but entertaining as well! :D

Yeppers. Any show where they blow things up is that much closer to my vote of approval. :chuckle:

Justin

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Has anybody seen the commercials for "Hell's Kitchen"? It looks like it could really be a good show.