In general, what do you think of TV?

In general, what do you think of TV?

• I love it! TV is a big part of my life.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • TV is good. I watch it at least some everyday.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Its OK. TV is somewhat useful.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I could do without TV, although I do watch it on occaision.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • TV is not part of my life. I rarely if ever watch TV.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • TV is awful.

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters

Emo

Poly said:
I can't even remember the last time I watched a funny sitcom. The writing today is so pathetic. I'd rather watch Andy Griffith any day. Now that's funny!

Hey Poly, have you ever checked out Everybody Loves Raymond. I just watched an episode last Monday & it had me crackin' up. Other than that, I can't say that I've seen any real funny shows for quite a while.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Emo said:
Hey Poly, have you ever checked out Everybody Loves Raymond. I just watched an episode last Monday & it had me crackin' up. Other than that, I can't say that I've seen any real funny shows for quite a while.

Yeah, I used to watch that at times. It is pretty funny but sometimes I get tired of the many sitcoms where the husband is made to look like the idiot and the wife is made to be the only one with any sense, living this miserable life cause she has to be married to such a jerk.

Emo

True,

I used to watch My Wife & Kids & Life According to Jim sometimes, but they followed suite on the "stupid husband trying to pull a fast one" antics, so I stopped watching those as well.

Caledvwlch

I like a few shows, but it doesn't kill me if I miss them. 24, Smallville, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama Reruns, WWE RAW, and the History Channel if nothing's on.

On the flipside, I hate all reality TV, MTV (except for Pimp My Ride), the news, UPN, COPS, World's Most Splendiferous Police Chases ("this Jay-walker is getting what he deserves... 50 years in maximun security prison")

erinmarie

Lovejoy said:
I don't think life would be quite as nice if I could not watch "House" on Tuesdays. That is just a great show!

I watch House too! I think Hugh Laurie is just plain cool. I never even knew he had such a strong British accent until I saw him on a talk show recently. It must really take a lot of effort to mask the accent so well.

I actually love TV. We all go to bed early, but since I'm not really a big sleeper, I lay in bed and read and watch TV at night. It's relaxing, and if there's nothing on I just read until something starts.

On Mondays I usually watch The Bachelor (even though everyone makes fun of me for it) at 9, and sometimes Medium at 10, but I've been going to sleep earlier since the end of my pregnancy.

Tuesdays I watch American Idol at 8, and I usually read while I'm watching it. Then I watch House at 9, and Law and Order Special Victims Unit at 10.

Wed. I watch Americas Next Top Model at 8, but only when Lost is a repeat, which it has been alot lately.

Thursdays I watch Survivor at 8, and then sometimes CSI at 9, and sometimes ER at 10, but I usually read after survivor....CSI and ER have really sucked lately.

Friday and Saturday nights I usually watch a movie with the girls and then just read myself to sleep.

Sundays my husband and I watch The Contender, which I love! And then I usually watch Law and Order Criminal Intent, and then Crossing Jordan.

Wow! I sound like the biggest dork!!! :freak:

C

cattyfan

I like T.V. There are quality shows out therre...and there are shows that are a lesser quality and still entertaining.

Additionally, if you want to communicate with other people it's good to know what they're watching and have similar cultural touchstones. This is something CleverDan and I have discussed because as a pastor he will have to be able to communnicate with a wide spectrum of congregants. Even if you don't watch/listen to everything out there, it's good to have an accurate knowledge of what is popular.

For example, when I was teaching junior high school students, I was able to refer to 50 Cents in the proper context. I never listen to him, but I knew the kids did. Andit made the example I was using more relatable for them.

I like the first two CSI shows, 1 2 & 4 Law & Order shows, The Amazing Race, Survivor, Third Watch (which ends Friday,) Without a Trace,and American Idol. We've been watching the Apprentice, the Contender, Deperate Housewives, and Boston Legal, as well.

I like rereuns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and we have seasons 1-7 of M*A*S*H* on DVD.

We watch football, from pre-season through the Superbowl, and I like basketball...although not as much as I used to. I rooting for the Miami Heat to win the NBA championship. I like Alonzo Mourning and I want to see Shaq thumb his nose at the Lakers for choosing the wrong marquee player to keep.

I also tape and skim through several soap operas...I've been watching those pretty much my whole life...now I write for a soap website. Who'da thought watchin' daytime dramas would ever payoff!

Most everything is taped in our house, so we can watch without commercials and at our leisure. Somethings build up and we watch in summer during rereuns of other shows.

We still do active things outside the house...we still write articles for publications...CleverDan still gets his classwork done and is getting "A"s...nothing is suffering just because we enjoy some entertainment.

I think people who declare there's "nothing good on T.V." are throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. there is quality T.V. to be found, especially on the History and Discovery channels...and occasionally on PBS (I watched some excellent documentaries lately.) And people with children need to be more careful...but that's a parent's duty in every respect of life.

Christine

Lovejoy said:
I don't think life would be quite as nice if I could not watch "House" on Tuesdays. That is just a great show!
I LOVE that show. It's interesting to see Dr. House solve these "not by the book" cases. :)

C

cattyfan

RiotGurl said:
yes the "t" is pronounced except for when 50 cent says it, cause he's a "gangsta" ! :rolleyes:

that's what I was aimin' for with "Fitty Cen," but it's hard to get it across...I'm whiter than a loaf of Wonder Bread.

Mr. 5020

To add to my earlier post....

At Dish Network, when someone calls in to order service, one of the questions we ask (in order to see what programming package will work for them) is "Are there any channels that you know that you will need to have?" I have asked that question over a thousand times, and I would estimate that out of all those times, 3 of them have not said MTV and/or VH1.

Jujubee

My kids and i were watching Huck and Finn, I didn't relize the violence that was in it in the beggining concerning Huck and his dad. It sure portrayed the bad in some fathers. That was kinda disppointing. Othere than that scene the movie was good.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Boomerang. Cartoon Network. Sci Fi (occasionally).

If programs like Survivor and Fear Factor had genuinely life-threatening situations, I'd be inclined to do something other than :yawn: .