Some Anti Name-Calling Folks...

Ninjashadow

I don't think so. Name calling is generally thought of as being derisive and intended as an insult. I think that the term "small people" is just a term in describing how they act.

Ninjashadow

Such as the phrase, "you're bigger than that," is used to describe someone who has the ability to take the higher ground.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
wholearmor said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chileice name-call by calling name-callers "small people"?
You are not wrong, so I cannot correct.

wholearmor

ninjashadow said:
I don't think so. Name calling is generally thought of as being derisive and intended as an insult. I think that the term "small people" is just a term in describing how they act.

So is faggot. What's the difference?

Caille

wholearmor said:
I'm not wrong so consider yourself corrected.

In what way am I an idiot?

You are wrong

and you smell bad

and your mother dresses you funny

see you tomorrow ! :D

Ninjashadow

wholearmor said:
So is faggot. What's the difference?

Faggot is term that is meant to be insulting and degrading. "Small" people is just a term to describe someone who is taking the low ground, as it were.

wholearmor

ninjashadow said:
Faggot is term that is meant to be insulting and degrading. "Small" people is just a term to describe someone who is taking the low ground, as it were.

No that's a post by a small person.

Ninjashadow

See, here's the thing, though, I didn't feel insulted. I was merely asking if it was your attempt to insult me. I think Chileice was merely describing what kind of people resort to name calling. From his post, I did not get the impression that he was trying to be insulting. Let me ask you this, what word would you have used instead?

Agape4Robin

Name calling is the biggest waste of time and does nothing to open the heart of the person that you are talking to. :nono:

wholearmor

ninjashadow said:
See, here's the thing, though, I didn't feel insulted. I was merely asking if it was your attempt to insult me. I think Chileice was merely describing what kind of people resort to name calling. From his post, I did not get the impression that he was trying to be insulting. Let me ask you this, what word would you have used instead?

I wouldn't have posted that in the first place because I don't feel the same way about name calling as Cheliece does, but there are lots of names he could have used, including "small." He could have made his point just fine without using that or any other term.

wholearmor

Agape4Robin said:
Name calling is the biggest waste of time and does nothing to open the heart of the person that you are talking to. :nono:

So are you calling me a name, i.e., a time-waster?

Ninjashadow

Name calling, though, has to be approached with intent. What I mean by that is that when someone uses a word, they have to be intending for that word to be degrading or insulting. If I were to call you a "stupid moron" (which I'm not) then it's obvious that my intent was to be malicious. However, if I were to say to you, "Hey big guy," I would merely be greeting you with a nickname or as a friend. The fact of the matter is that "big guy" can also used to be insulting. If someone weighed 600 lbs and I called him "big guy" and meant to be insulting it would come out that way.