What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

Derf

planting trees.
tree huggers need trees to hug & they are good for the environment , the trees that is

first it was global cooling nobody bought it
then it was global warming nobody bought it
now it's climate change

Rom 1:25 For they changed the truth of God into a lie, and they worshiped and served the created thing more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

A complete list of things caused by global warming
link

sample below:

Afghan poppies destroyed, African holocaust, aged deaths, poppies more potent, Africa devastated, Africa in conflict, African aid threatened, aggressive weeds, Air France crash, air pockets, air pressure changes, airport farewells virtual, airport malaria, Agulhas current, Alaskan towns slowly destroyed, Al Qaeda and Taliban Being Helped, allergy increase, allergy season longer, alligators in the Thames, Alps melting, Amazon a desert, American dream end, amphibians breeding earlier (or not), anaphylactic reactions to bee stings, ...

... wolverine decline, wolverines vanish, wolves eat more moose, wolves eat less, women cheat on vacation, workers laid off, World at war, World War 4, Yellow fever, zebra mussel threat, zoonotic diseases.

I think the title of your list should be "Possible effects attributed to Global Warming for the purpose of getting grant money", at least for most of it.

The execution of witches, from the link, intrigued me and didn't fit the grant funding pattern. But it makes sense--if there are increasing natural disasters, and witches are blamed for such, then witch executions are indeed likely to rise.

eleos

What should we be doing????

Proclaiming the good news. Jesus is our Savior

John

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

The fall of mankind: When Adam and Eve fell and sin entered the world it effected the environment, the animals and mankind. It effected ... or infected everything.

Romans

22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Matthew

7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

The importance of climate change pales to insignificance in comparison to the importance of Christ’s coming and the creation of a joyful and sustainable society that’s in perfect harmony with its Creator and will happen when He has completed His plan in it's entirety.

Terrible as the results of "climate change" are on our world, they are indicators that the coming of Jesus is very near. The cause? Sin Who has defeated sin? Jesus We await His return to fully complete His plan of salvation and util He does life here on earth will become progressively worse. But He will be with us until the end.

Matthew

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Who is man to think he can somehow control the weather?

Job

9 From its chamber comes the whirlwind, and cold from the scattering winds.10 By the breath of God ice is given,and the broad waters are frozen fast.11 He loads the thick cloud with moisture; the clouds scatter his lightning.12 They turn around and around by his guidance,to accomplish all that he commands them on the face of the habitable world.13 Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen.

It's really not about this world .... it's about the next one and that as many as possible be ready to receive it at the return of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Mark 8
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

The good news?

Revelation

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Derf

What should we be doing????

Proclaiming the good news. Jesus is our Savior

John

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

The fall of mankind: When Adam and Eve fell and sin entered the world it effected the environment, the animals and mankind. It effected ... or infected everything.

Romans

22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Matthew

7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

The importance of climate change pales to insignificance in comparison to the importance of Christ’s coming and the creation of a joyful and sustainable society that’s in perfect harmony with its Creator and will happen when He has completed His plan in it's entirety.

Terrible as the results of "climate change" are on our world, they are indicators that the coming of Jesus is very near. The cause? Sin Who has defeated sin? Jesus We await His return to fully complete His plan of salvation and util He does life here on earth will become progressively worse. But He will be with us until the end.

Matthew

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Who is man to think he can somehow control the weather?

Job

9 From its chamber comes the whirlwind, and cold from the scattering winds.10 By the breath of God ice is given,and the broad waters are frozen fast.11 He loads the thick cloud with moisture; the clouds scatter his lightning.12 They turn around and around by his guidance,to accomplish all that he commands them on the face of the habitable world.13 Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen.

It's really not about this world .... it's about the next one and that as many as possible be ready to receive it at the return of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Mark 8
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

The good news?

Revelation

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

If some of the effects of sin are climatic (as has been sometimes in the past, like Noah's flood, droughts, plagues), do you think that reaching people for Christ will have a positive effect on the climate, or just prepare more people for the new heavens and new earth?

Derf

Thanks, I'll look that over. Would you mind, when quoting a post of mine, to include the post # as supplied when you select "Reply with quote"? That way I can see it in my quotes list.

Thanks!
Derf
Sorry took so long, [MENTION=92]The Barbarian[/MENTION].

Maybe I misunderstood what the studies were really checking, but it seemed like this could be offset with food prep techniques or possibly diet changes. If it was just the phytic acid content...

way 2 go

That's a great dismissive myth. But it is just a myth, made up to pretend that scientists keep changing their minds and climate change isn't real.

Google's Ngram plots show the usage of phrases over time, so let's put this misrepresentation to bed shall we?:

a92159e2-18e6-4089-8a0c-86656758ba04.png

https://screenshots.firefox.com/aEmeR0bI2CEXWBvi/books.google.com

first it was global cooling actually Ice Age was the term nobody bought
then it was global warming and nobody bought it

14ad4db0-c51c-4384-ad6a-4534858ff296.png

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
first it was global cooling actually Ice Age was the term nobody bought
then it was global warming and nobody bought it

Hard to believe anyone still falls for that "scientists thought we were going to have global cooling" story.

Partially, it was from some deniers photoshopping a faked magazine cover:
1101070409_400.jpg

Apparently the hoax cover has been floating around the Internet for at least a few years. I’m not sure who created it, and it doesn’t seem to have gotten a whole lot of traction, even among climate-science deniers. Though kudos to whoever initially put the fake cover together. That’s some pretty good photoshopping.

But the hoax does touch on an important part of climate science — and one that’s often misunderstood by skeptics. Call it the Ice Age Fallacy. Skeptics argue that back in the 1970s both popular media and some scientists were far more worried about global cooling than they were about global warming. For some reason a Newsweek article on the next ice age, published back in 1975, gets a lot of the attention, though TIME did a version of the story, as did a number of other media outlets. The rationale goes this way: the fact that scientists were once supposedly so concerned about global cooling, which didn’t come true, just shows that we shouldn’t worry about the new fears of climate change.

But as John Cook points out over at Skeptical Science, global cooling was much more an invention of the media than it was a real scientific concern. A survey of peer-reviewed scientific papers published between 1965 and 1979 shows that the large majority of research at the time predicted that the earth would warm as carbon-dioxide levels rose — as indeed it has. And some of those global-cooling projections were based on the idea that aerosol levels in the atmosphere — which are a product of air pollution from sources like coal burning and which contribute to cooling by deflecting sunlight in the atmosphere — would keep rising. But thanks to environmental legislation like the Clean Air Acts, global air-pollution levels — not including greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide — peaked in the 1970s and began declining.

http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/sorry-a-time-magazine-cover-did-not-predict-a-coming-ice-age/

And here's a good one:

On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry about global warming
Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. But I would [...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible, it is transparent, you can’t smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people tend to believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-warned-the-oil-industry-about-global-warming

And yet, the scams still go on. Ask yourself this; if the facts are on the side of the deniers, why are they spending so much money and effort on deception?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
2017 was the second hottest year on record, with 2016 the hottest year. The last 10 years? These are the temperature anomalies for the December-November years:

2007 66
2008 51
2009 63
2010 72
2011 58
2012 62
2013 63
2014 72
1015 84
2016 101
2017 89

Here's the plot and the regression line, with 2007 set as year 1:
1515161986632_linearRegressionResults.png

Best-fit values
Slope 3.821 ± 0.9780
Y-intercept 53.40 ± 5.976
X-intercept -13.98
1/Slope 0.2617

95% Confidence Intervals
Slope 1.508 to 6.134
Y-intercept 39.27 to 67.53
X-intercept -43.74 to -6.556

Goodness of Fit
R square 0.6856
Sy.x 8.748

Looks like the models are doing a pretty good job of predicting climate, doesn't it?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
1413371441781_wps_4_A_massive_and_spectacular.jpg

I'm sure the millions of residents on the East Coast, currently experiencing this mega hurricane that extends from Spain to the Atlantic Seaboard, are comforted by this President's efforts to defund the Environmental Protection Agency - forcing out every self-respecting climate scientist who disagrees with the White House's stated position that their is no such thing as climate change!

Last edited: