ECT Do Christians Have 'Vile' Bodies?

Jerry Shugart

Here we read that the bodies of Christians are vile:

"For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself" (Phil.3:20-21).​

How can the idea that Christians have vile bodies be reconciled with what David said about his body?:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well" (Ps.139:13-14).​

genuineoriginal

"For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself" (Phil.3:20-21).​

Here are all the times the Greek word is used:

Luke 1:48
48 For he hath regarded the low estate G5014 of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Acts 8:33
33 In his humiliation G5014 his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

Philippians 3:21
21 Who shall change our vile G5014 body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

James 1:10
10 But the rich, in that he is made low: G5014 because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.​

Now, guess which definition of "vile" should be used when looking at Philippians 3:21:

vile
  1. extremely unpleasant.
  2. morally bad; wicked.
  3. archaic of little worth or value.

DAN P

48 For he hath regarded the low estate G5014 of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

33 In his humiliation G5014 his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

21 Who shall change our vile G5014 body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

10 But the rich, in that he is made low: G5014 because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.​

Now, guess which definition of "vile" should be used when looking at Philippians 3:21:

vile
  1. extremely unpleasant.
  2. morally bad; wicked.

Hi and made in a Low Estate as God made us LOWER than the angels !!

dan p

glorydaz

vile
  1. extremely unpleasant.
  2. morally bad; wicked.

A tent....a temporary dwelling.

Jerry Shugart

They are vile because of unrighteousness.

Bodies are not unrighteous. David said this about how he was made:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well" (Ps.139:13-14).​

Jerry Shugart

Is there any possibility David sinned?

If you do not know the answer to that question then you do not have any business posting on this thread.

Is sin vile?

Yes, but sin is not a substance that can attach itself to a physical body.

David said that his physical body was wonderfully made and that contradicts the teaching of Augustine when he said that our bodies have been born with defects:

"Our bodies would not have been born with defects, and there would have been no human monsters, if Adam had not corrupted our nature by his sin, and that had not been punished in his posterity. (Op. Imp. I. 116; II. 123; III. 95,104; V. 8.) The sickly and dying nature of the human body, proceeds from the lapse of the first man" (De Gen. ad Lit. XI. 32).​

Right Divider

Body part

How can the idea that Christians have vile bodies be reconciled with what David said about his body?:
CONTEXT

oatmeal

Our present bodies, believer and unbeliever, have bodies that are awesomely designed and formed by God, are, because of Adam and Eve's sin, shall die and corrupt, ie rot and turn to dust.

Only those Christians who are alive and remain at the gathering of the church, I Thessalonians 4:13-18, will be not be dead so their bodies will not die nor corrupt. Their bodies shall be changed

Compared to the new bodies, like unto his glorious body, that we shall receive, yes, our present bodies, now being subject to disease, death and corruption, are vile.

Jerry Shugart

Compared to the new bodies, like unto his glorious body, that we shall receive, yes, our present bodies, now being subject to disease, death and corruption, are vile.

Adam was created subject to death. Does that mean that the LORD gave him a vile body?

oatmeal

Adam was created subject to death. Does that mean that the LORD gave him a vile body?

Where does it say that?

It was only after they sinned that death entered into the realm of mankind.

After all, it is the devil who has the power of death. Hebrews 2:14

Only until Adam and Eve gave place to the devil in their lives did the devil have opportunity to introduce death into their lives

Jerry Shugart

Where does it say that?

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life" (Gen.3:22-24).​

Adam was created in a mortal body because in order for him to live for ever it was necessary for him to eat of the Tree of Life.

Danoh

vile
  1. extremely unpleasant.
  2. morally bad; wicked.

A thought...

Paul is speaking of an aspect of a particular doctrine or teaching, there.

Meaning, it is always simply a matter of asking oneself, towards tracking down and studying out what that doctrine might be; followed by what its various aspects might be; and what particular aspect of it he is talking about in that passage; and how it fits within the whole it is merely an aspect of.

That we...

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

...of such things...

For what he is very often saying about one thing or another is understood from within the overall doctrine on it, that he is speaking from to begin with.

And he is speaking of an aspect of our glorification one day.

And there is plenty about it, and its contrasts, etc., throughout His writings.

Romans 8 being an example.

Nevertheless, Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.