Hermeneutics - The Who? What? Where? and When? of Scripture

iamaberean

Many Christians read the Bible but only a few study it? An easy way to study is to answer the questions of Who, What, Where and When. By doing this we come to understand that the Bible is written for us but not about us.

I am not a scholar or student of the Bible, but Hermeneutics turns out to be the answering of the questions of the 4 W's above.

I will try to explain scripture, that to me use to be, as one might say, "That's Greek to me!"

Mat 13:1 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.
Mat 13:2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
Mat 13:3 And he spake many things unto them in parables

Who - Jesus surrounded by a great multitude.
What - Jesus spoke to them of many things in parables * (a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson)
Where - on the shore
When - While Jesus was here on earth

What do we know so far?
Jesus is not speaking to us directly for we were not there, but we can learn from it.

Here is what he said to them:
Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
Mat 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Mat 13:5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
Mat 13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
Mat 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
Mat 13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Mat 13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

That is the parable and then:

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

The disciples then asked Jesus the question above and He responded

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Conclusion to the above:

Parables were given to the followers of Jesus, not to the multitude.

How does the above relate to us?
If we are followers of Christ we should pray for understanding of God's word.

The whole bible is like the above and it will sometimes pertain to us also. Later on I will put scripture to you that does not pertain to us but rather is given for our understanding.

iamaberean

Mat 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
Mat 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

Mat 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mat 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Jesus is very clearly speaking about and to the scribes and Pharisees of that day. There is no reason to think Jesus is talking to us. In the last scripture above, Jesus said “Verily I say unto you”. The ‘who? of who, what, where and when ’ is not us, the ‘you’ is only the scribes and Pharisees of that day.
What was to come upon them? The charges and execution of murdering Abel unto the blood of Azcharias. One might ask how could they have done all those killings? Only by lineage.

When did judgment come? In their generation? Yes! You can read about it in Josephus books “The Wars of the Jews”.

iamaberean

Hermeneutics noun, ( used with a singular verb)
1. the science of interpretation, especially of the Scriptures.

2. the branch of theology that deals with the principles of Biblical exegesis.

Rules;

1. Old Testament

Given to the children of God for Law, History, poetry and prophesy.

2. New Testament

Given to the Apostles of God and for history of Jesus as he walked on earth and the then the letters of the Apostles to the early churches.

None of the books of the Bible were written to you or me. The first time the average Christian had access to God's word was 1456 years after Jesus was born.

iamaberean

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Who? Jesus to his disciples.

Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
Mat 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Who? Jesus to whosoever.

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Who? Jesus, his Father, his angels and every man. What? Reward every man for his works (works pertains to those under the law.).

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Who? Jesus and disciples. What? shall not taste death. When? At the time they see Jesus coming to reward every man for his works.