Slain in Maine: 2 sex offenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free-Agent Smith

Link to the article.
From the article:
Two registered sex offenders in Maine were shot to death in their own homes this morning, prompting the state to take down its online registry of offenders from the Internet.

The removal of the Maine Sex Offender Registry website is being called a precautionary measure, as officials are not sure if it was used by the assailant in the fatal shootings. It contains the photos, names and addresses of more than 2,200 registered sex offenders in the Pine Tree State.
Authorities identify the victims as Joseph L. Gray, 57, of Milo, and William Elliott, 24, of Corinth. Both were listed in the registry.

Police are now searching for a 19-year-old Canadian man, whose last address was not far from the American border in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

Stephen A. Marshall, who has family in Houlton, Maine, is being called "a person of interest."

A small white pickup truck possibly connected in the shootings was located in Bangor, but there was no sign of Marshall, who is described as white, 5-foot-10-inches tall, weighing 130 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.
While I am glad that two sex-offenders are now permantly off the streets, I am sad to know that it was possible a 19 year old who may go to trial for their murder.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If they had been executed, as they should have been, then this would nto have happened, nor would the registry need to exist.

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
Sex offender registries are panaceas. The huge majority of child sexual assaults are committed by close family members and associates.

Hal_Jordan

Freedom Train said:
Sex offender registries are panaceas. The huge majority of child sexual assaults are committed by close family members and associates.

Yeah....I'm sure everyone on this board knows of someone that it's happened to. I wonder what the success rate for Pedorasts becoming "normal". You see, it's a predatorial crime, and I cannot imagine how one can come to grips with the horror that they committed and then go on to lead a happy life.

I understand the concept of forgiveness, but could any of you live with yourself after doing this to even one child much less several? I know that the stock answer will something to the effect, "I would never do it in the first place", and neither would I. But just to imagine it; if I were somehow 'rehabilitated' I would have to off myself.

Emo

Lighthouse said:
If they had been executed, as they should have been, then this would nto have happened, nor would the registry need to exist.

:up:

Hal_Jordan said:
I understand the concept of forgiveness, but could any of you live with yourself after doing this to even one child much less several? I know that the stock answer will something to the effect, "I would never do it in the first place", and neither would I. But just to imagine it; if I were somehow 'rehabilitated' I would have to off myself.
June 27th, 2006 07:01 PM

Sex crimes like rape or molestation are capital crimes and should be met with swift execution (we'll let the perpetrator and God sort out the forgiveness part). Now, let's look at why this is reasonable. These two men were listed in an offender registry which put them at risk to have big, fat targets on their heads which led to the young man who killed them becoming a murderer. So, now we have an unnecessary crime committed because of a failed just-a-system leading to more injustice. Is it more merciful to have the criminals executed by the government or should they be tracked and hunted by people who seek vengeance? Should the duty of execution be carried out by the governing body or should we as citizens have to bear the burden and act as vigilantes? If the boundary is set very clearly for committing capital crimes then there is no need for anyone to play guessing games as to what the consequences will be. There is no good reason to have a gray area when it should simply be black or white. When compromise is met with more compromise then innocence is lost and evil prevails.

P.S.

Don't "off" yourself! :)

Last edited:

keypurr

Free-Agent Smith said:
Link to the article.
From the article:

While I am glad that two sex-offenders are now permantly off the streets, I am sad to know that it was possible a 19 year old who may go to trial for their murder.
Two wrongs do not make a right,

Hal_Jordan

Emo said:
:up:

Sex crimes like rape or molestation are capital crimes and should be met with swift execution (we'll let the perpetrator and God sort out the forgiveness part). Now, let's look at why this is reasonable. These two men were listed in an offender registry which put them at risk to have big, fat targets on their heads which led to the young man who killed them becoming a murderer. So, now we have an unnecessary crime committed because of a failed just-a-system leading to more injustice. Is it more merciful to have the criminals executed by the government or should they be tracked and hunted by people who seek vengeance? Should the duty of execution be carried out by the governing body or should we as citizens have to bear the burden and act as vigilantes? If the boundary is set very clearly for committing capital crimes then there is no need for anyone to play guessing games as to what the consequences will be. There is no good reason to have a gray area when it should simply be black or white. When compromise is met with more compromise then innocence is lost and evil prevails.

P.S.

Don't "off" yourself! :)

No worries; I don't intend to :)
Maybe it is merciful to take someone out that has it within them to commit such a crime. I feel that we all have a point of no return, that if we cross it, it is incredibly difficult if not impossible to ever come back. Perhaps living with the horror that you've committed such a monsterous act would be a literal living hell. Death would then be welcome.

JesusWalks

Free-Agent Smith said:

"not [to] be overcome by evil, but [to] overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21).

Jesus never taught an eye for an eye. Are you sure that these men did not repent and Jesus sanctified them?

You condemn the sex offenders for their crime, yet you do not condemn their killer, thou shalt not kill, isnt that still one of the Commandments.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I like the idea of people taking matters in their own hands when the government has failed them, we need more of that. All sex offenders should be hunted down and executed.

I just don't understand why it was a Canadian........

Chileice

JesusWalks said:
"not [to] be overcome by evil, but [to] overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21).

Jesus never taught an eye for an eye. Are you sure that these men did not repent and Jesus sanctified them?

You condemn the sex offenders for their crime, yet you do not condemn their killer, thou shalt not kill, isnt that still one of the Commandments.

Some people want vengeance and not mercy. Certainly these men did a terrible crime, but they were judged to have paid for that sin. Only God knows if they had repented. But the young man who killed them was not God, but rather a zealous violent young man who is now a murderer. Why should we congratulate him?

Mt. 5.7
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.

Mt. 9.12,13
12But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

Mt. 18.32,33
32Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?'

Why do so many "Christians " have so much trouble with this word. It is not giving people what they deserve. We all DESERVE worse than we get, but the mercy of God we continue to live in spite of our sins. I have no sympathy for pedophiles but I surely know that murder is not the answer and is not merciful. By the laws so many of you promote, this 19 year old should be immediately and painfully executed. Now that the shoe is on his foot do you still promote that?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Chileice

Do you believe that the government is infallible?

Do you believe that we are supposed to blindly and obediently accept whatever decisions and legislations our government makes?

Chileice

BillyBob said:
Chileice

Do you believe that the government is infallible?

Do you believe that we are supposed to blindly and obediently accept whatever decisions and legislations our government makes?

No and no.

I sure don't. They might have screwed up in convicting the guys, might have screwed up in letting them off too soon, might have screwed up by publishing a sex-offenders list. They may have blown more things than the wind in Wyoming. As a matter of fact I am probably more critical of government than most.

JesusWalks

Chileice said:
No and no.

I sure don't. They might have screwed up in convicting the guys, might have screwed up in letting them off too soon, might have screwed up by publishing a sex-offenders list. They may have blown more things than the wind in Wyoming. As a matter of fact I am probably more critical of government than most.

LEt us not forget

Hebrews 13:17, which reads as follows:

Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Adam_Kratt

Freedom Train said:

They should publish the picture and address of released sex offenders on the sides of local buses and on billboards on the free ways closets to their houses

Adam_Kratt

JesusWalks said:
LEt us not forget

Hebrews 13:17, which reads as follows:

Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Hmmm... that verse would seem to go against everything our country stands for where we are encouraged to question there actions. Hmm just think if the revelutionaries had obeyed King George and had submitted to Englands Monarchy... hey Billybob.. kind makes you wonder about your statement that this is a Christian Country.. seems to have started very unChristian like :luigi:

whitters

I cannot recall the statistics but violent sex offenders reoffend literally months after being released from prison. There was an example in Britain where a sex offender was released, supposedly no longer a risk to society and within weeks had raped then impaled his sisters 2 kids. Even thinking of it now my stomach churns. The problem is a bunch of whiney liberals whinge and moan and say that they are nice people really so be lenient in the punishment. This merely results in the innocent public suffering the consequences of their actions.

genuineoriginal

Lighthouse said:
That is right. Let's execute everyone guilty of a sex crime, even adulterers and homosexuals. Let's bring back the OT Law too, and execute people who do not honor the Sabbath. We'll get this Country straightened out in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.