58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

Today we have 17 dead in another school shooting - that makes the 17th gun related incident in a school this year and the 12th where someone was injured/killed!

I'm sure that the dead, wounded and their grieving families will take comfort in the fact that this President and a Republican Congress will protect their 2nd Amendment Rights!

Last edited:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
trump-quote-republicans-are-dumb.jpg

Today we have 17 dead in another school shooting - that makes the 17th gun related incident in a school this year and the 12th where someone was injured/killed!

I'm sure that the dead, wounded and their grieving families will take comfort in the fact that this President and a Republican Congress will protect their 2nd Amendment Rights!

It happens

Last edited:

This Charming Manc

It happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at developed western democracies it happens an awful lot more in the states than anywhere else.

Its not meant as a dig at you guys, its juts the information that the 'it happens' is pretty much only true in the states.

Its not normal, its not ok, its not the price of life.

Having children shot with automatic weapons isn't OK

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Indeed, it's as if giving tax cuts to the rich and taking away affordable health insurance from the poor takes priority over *common sense* laws to keep guns out of the hands of the unstable and criminals.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik said:
If there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?

I answered that in the quote you posted before writing this...no. It's an intellectually unsupported assertion.

No you didn't answer that. These are the two comments you made and neither of them address the question:
"What authority has most academic being of a Keynesian bent? Citation?"

"No. I was just curious as to why you thought that and if there was any actual support for it empirically."

So if there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?

That's not the problem. The problem is your insisting I mean something else. That I can't control.
I don't insist you mean something else. I respond to what you write. But as we see in the comment immediately above, what you consider me misreading is just you being wrong.

So it's like humility then. You just worked your way into it. :plain: That's my subtle way of suggesting that declaring yourself right is about as meaningful as declaring yourself tall.
I'm only saying that finding the truth takes work. And it requires that one expose themselves to the possibility of being wrong which can be hard sometimes. You might consider that a matter of luck, but I'm thankful for all the people that put the work into finding the truth.

Wait. What good points have you considered mine?
One was right after the sentence "Here you make a good point.". And you've made other good points that I've pointed out earlier in the discussion. It is all a part of admitting to the truth, even if one is wrong.

So. What good points have I made?

Yorzhik said:
Now; I've noticed you STILL won't provide a definition.
Town Heretic said:
I also won't make you a sandwich, unless I know you're really hungry and need one. Then I'd be happy to, because it would matter.
Providing definitions in a discussion matters sometimes. This would be one of those times because what is allowed to defend one's self depends on it.

Yorzhik said:
When getting rid of goods will cost more lives.
Town Heretic said:
]Which no one (by which I mean you) has made the case would be the case and which the empirical data on hand (by which I mean the difference between us and every other western democracy in terms of gun violence and mass shooting rates) fails to support.
Except for the data you ignored.

Well, in fairness that was the topic, though I did note gun violence on the whole as well.
You didn't note violence and homicide as a whole. That's the point.

Again, that's as daft a notion as suggesting if we talk about one disease without talking about every we don't care. So you're really just criticizing me for staying on topic. And again, I've spoken to gun violence beyond mass shootings.

The reason for the focus is that it was the topic and it can be dramatically impacted. The disingenuous is your tack on, but it's only that.
This would be another time you ignore the data. If we get rid of one disease, none of the other diseases are affected. That's not true for humans. Block one path and humans look for another.

Yes, yes, everyone knows that wise and virtuous men never ere. Take King David, for example...well, no. I mean Solomon. Solomon, the wisest of...well, no. He failed spectacularly, didn't he. So on Roe, it's an unrelated argument and I've offered arguments against the decision. They also got slavery wrong. And I think treating corporations like people is screwy too. It happens.

Then stop making the same mistake. As the data shows, guns aren't the problem and there are better ways to deal with murderers and mentally unstable people, or suicidal people even, without creating new problems that will be created by taking stuff from the not-murderers and not-mentally-unstable people.

But you're really the elitist between us, talking down to people because they're better educated is just a sort of reverse discrimination and as unseated in reason.

I answer your points directly, I look at the topic with a view that you're right so I can study it, I check the experts on both sides of the issue, and I acknowledge points where you are right and I'm wrong.

You ignore clear science and logic that challenges your view. You are evasive with direct questions. You came to a conclusion before you started discussing the problem and pursue your solution with emotional fervor. And not indicating where I'm right on a point is consistent with elitist thinking.

Yorzhik said:
There are many other reasons to own a non-single shot gun other than for mass shootings, so you are simply and flatly wrong in your assessment of people.
Town Heretic said:
I never said people lack reasons. I said that the guns I'm talking about remaining legal would leave anyone owning them in a superior position to anyone who lived during the time of the Founders when they wrote the right and that owning the guns I note would permit a person to do anything any other gun could do other than kill a lot of people in short order.

No, a single shot gun cannot do everything a semi-auto can do except to kill a lot of people in short order. So you are simply and flatly wrong in your assessment of people and what people do with guns.

And you keep bringing up the irrelevant fact that today's single shot gun is better than a musket loader. I agree, they are better. But it is the principle of self defense, not what the founders wrote that matters. They weren't stupid, and they happened to get the second amendment mostly right, but that's beside the point. And it's also something you don't even believe yourself since you think the government can keep its semi-autos and only the people should be restricted.

Well, no. Which is why you might repeat the charge but will never sustain it by, you know, quoting me and whatnot. It's a silly, sad depth to see in anyone.

When children aren't allowed to work under the care of their parents, they are left with worse things. As Krugman pointed out, child labor laws have ultimately damned children to work as prostitutes and to be mutilated.

But that's not something an elitist like yourself has to worry about, it's just a burden you can put on someone else without lifting a finger to help.

Yorzhik said:
So call me stupid if you like
Town Heretic said:
When did I do that?

Speaking on the topic of whether Yorzhik is stupid or not, Town Heretic says: "I'm about as unlikely to say you aren't."

I don't believe that's stupid so much as dishonest or delusional.

Call me dishonest and delusional if you like, but you're the one saying you support children being used as prostitutes and being mutilated.

Yorzhik said:
but at least I care about children.
Town Heretic said:
And apple pie too, I'd bet.
I care for children much more than apple pie.

You're being willfully obtuse or dishonest. I've noted the facts, which is the system isn't deciding it. Almost all of the dispositions relating to the placement of children occur by negotiation between parents. You don't like what they're deciding take it up with them.

As any good lawyer will tell his client the chances of winning, even when custody in divorce is contested, women will win at a 60-40 rate. Those are some bad odds. And those are in the best cases where the father's side had the money to fight with.

Even so, the best option would be for children to default to the custody of the father in every divorce case. The father can give the mother custody at his discretion. I realize that isn't popular, but it would be best for kids according to science, tradition, common sense, and God's opinion.

You declared a thing true that's simply not.

Declared according to science, tradition, common sense, and God's opinion. All of which were presented that you ignored.

The evidence of the disparity, the dramatically lower rates of gun violence and death by firearms in every western democracy, the lower rates in every U.S. state where stronger laws are found compared to their more lax neighbors is irrefutable and has been presented prior and cited.
The evidence of disparity shows that the guns are not the problem.

It's why I asked about why the least safest places are in certain areas, which consequently, have low gun ownership rates. If you go to places with high gun ownership rates one will tend to be in a safe place.

Yorzhik said:
Do the schools expect the children to cheat or not cheat in their homework? Do the schools expect the children to listen in school? Do the schools expect the children to get their work done on time? Do the schools expect the children to respect school property? Do the schools expect the children to be nice to one another while in school?
Town Heretic said:
You're attempting, I suppose, to suggest that having any rules is an instruction in character. That's a pretty thin stretch.
So that list of things cannot be accomplished without teaching character? :darwinsm: Seriously? You think that's a thin stretch? :dawinsm:

So you're saying it costs more today to hold ground? Do tell. You want to compare the price of a sports car then to now while you're at it?
In inflation adjusted dollars, it has skyrocketed. Cars have not.

View attachment 26185

View attachment 26186

I've been clear on soldiers and law enforcement.
Yes, you've been clear that the government gets semi-autos, but the people don't. So your ban won't be as universal as you think.

You could argue machine guns against semi-autos and have the same problem in premise.
When given the choice between semi-auto and automatic fire, soldiers choose semi-auto. Semi-auto is better, you are just plain wrong here.

Yorzhik said:
I think you miss the point of the Nazi gun control program.
Town Heretic said:
No, I spoke to the particulars. I think you're trying to misuse the illustration.
It's an example. The Nazi's used registration as a tool to keep guns out of the hands of groups then wanted to oppress.

It's not part of our history or really much like anything that's being considered here.

Oppressing a minority isn't a part of our history he says... I'm not sure blacks would agree with you. Or native Americans. Or Japanese Americans.

So if the government were to oppress a group again, might they start with going after them with government institutions like the IRS or the FBI? Since that is already happening, do you think we are naturally just better people than the Germans, or Russians, or Chinese, or Zimbabweans, or hosts of other countries who moved it to the next level?

They weren't targeted because of registration.

Registration was the tool they used. Perhaps I should have said "through" or "via" instead of "because", but it was clear enough to show you just can't help yourself but read uncharitably. It's the bread and butter of an elitist.

They were targeted because they were Jews. And they were being treated differently than the rest of the Germans who weren't so bothered by it. So, not particularly universal...or particularly resembling anything I'm talking about.

They were targeted because they were Jews, and the tool used to hurt the targeted people was registration. It's a direct example. It's foundational to what we are talking about. This brings to mind the George Orwell quote "Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them."

If you have to be forced to obey the law you have a bigger problem than trying to make the government look like thieves.

But what if the government does thievery? Isn't that the bigger problem you are talking about?

Yorzhik said:
My solutions, from small implementations to large are not only reversible but measurable
Town Heretic said:
Rather, they're impossible, foundational and a de facto nod to the status quo, even if you don't mean for them to be.
They include laws as they were earlier in the 20th century, laws proposed even today, but somehow that is "impossible"? So, let's say it's possible to move toward some of those laws, even in small steps, wouldn't you agree that would be a good thing?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No you didn't answer that. These are the two comments you made and neither of them address the question:
"What authority has most academic being of a Keynesian bent? Citation?"
Right. I asked you if you were just making that up. Because why should I respond to a notion that isn't true? Even so I've told you in one of those posts that in any event the answer was no.

"No. I was just curious as to why you thought that and if there was any actual support for it empirically."
Right. I wrote that too.

So if there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?
Once again, no. I don't believe you'll support it, but irrespective of that it's a world on a turtle's back. You assume/assert by inference that believing in any particular economic philosophy or theory is indicative of a want of wisdom or virtue. I think that's an intellectually untenable position. Who decides the question and upon what empirically verifiable, objectively irrefutable foundation?

I don't insist you mean something else. I respond to what you write.
You do on both counts. That you are incapable of seeing that is also something I won't debate, but invite anyone slogging through this to determine. I'm comfortable your work underscores my contention.

But as we see in the comment immediately above, what you consider me misreading is just you being wrong.
No, but it's like you to think that. Any new business? Seventeen people died today so you could sport a weapon vastly superior to any the Founders had to consider when they wrote the right into our national fabric. Now I'll admit my breech loaders are also superior, but darn hard to kill dozens of people with.

I'm only saying that finding the truth takes work.
No argument there.

And it requires that one expose themselves to the possibility of being wrong which can be hard sometimes.
Anyone who enters into an argument of parts does exactly that, I hope. That said, there is no virtue in pretending our best effort is suspect (if we thought it so we would still be searching) and no vice in insisting a better reason supplant it otherwise. Or, every reasonable soul is fallible, but then we know we contend among the (at best) equally fallible other.

You might consider that a matter of luck, but I'm thankful for all the people that put the work into finding the truth.
No idea why you'd believe the former and anyone who values truth values the latter.

One was right after the sentence "Here you make a good point." And you've made other good points that I've pointed out earlier in the discussion. It is all a part of admitting to the truth, even if one is wrong.
Are you saying that admitting a good point is comparable to admitting oneself wrong? That you can't note a good point that you simply agree with and which doesn't materially alter your position? Also, didn't I particularly note the whole drugs/black market mea culpa?

So. What good points have I made?
Just gave you one. That's tit for, and whatnot.

Providing definitions in a discussion matters sometimes.
And sometimes it's just an odd, off point inquiry.

This would be one of those times because what is allowed to defend one's self depends on it.
How so?

You didn't note violence and homicide as a whole. That's the point.
You tried that already. If I'm talking about having a way to thwart cancer, saying that my not considering other diseases isn't a rebuttal. Never was and never will be.

This would be another time you ignore the data. If we get rid of one disease, none of the other diseases are affected. That's not true for humans. Block one path and humans look for another.
You have to literally believe, as I've noted prior, that ease of access has no impact, that everyone dead by mass shooters would have been killed some other way. There's no real reason to believe that and a number of reasons to think otherwise. There really aren't that many ways to kill massive numbers of people. You might as well suggest that if we make abortion illegal people will just find a way to kill as many babies otherwise.

Then stop making the same mistake. As the data shows, guns aren't the problem and there are better ways to deal with murderers and mentally unstable people, or suicidal people even, without creating new problems that will be created by taking stuff from the not-murderers and not-mentally-unstable people.
Actually, what the data shows is that every Western democracy that tries what I'm talking about has success stopping what I'm looking to stop. It also demonstrates that states with tougher gun laws to a much better job of stemming gun violence.

You came to a conclusion before you started discussing the problem
With you? Sure. And you've had the same goofy notions since you typed your first response. Anyone who has considered the problem seriously should have a pretty firm opinion/position by now.

and pursue your solution with emotional fervor.
You've raised that flag a few times. The first time I challenged you demonstrate that quoting me and you didn't. Then I put a couple of lines from you that were entirely that. For some reason you've decided to try that tactic again, but it's just as wrong and I'm not going to do more than note it...or if I have time later go back and reprint that.

And not indicating where I'm right on a point is consistent with elitist thinking.
Silly business. I've never written that ideas are only right when uttered by men or women of demonstrable acumen. Silly to try to taint that advantage, but I can see the point. It makes the old, "Well, we just disagree," gambit equally weighted. I suspect that's why people try it. Otherwise, you're hilariously trying to out elite the people you brand elitists. :D So that almost makes it worthwhile right there.

No, a single shot gun cannot do everything a semi-auto can do except to kill a lot of people in short order.
The only meaningful distinction between them is the number of bullets you can fire in short order. The Founders were writing about weapons inferior to the ones that fit my description in every way.

And you keep bringing up the irrelevant fact that today's single shot gun is better than a musket loader. I agree, they are better.
And the Founders believed them sufficient to protect the right. Ours are even better.

But it is the principle of self defense, not what the founders wrote that matters.
The Founders were right. You can defend yourself with a breech loader. Or if you can't, you shouldn't even own a slingshot.

They weren't stupid, and they happened to get the second amendment mostly right, but that's beside the point.
No, the point is that everything those weapons could accomplish is bettered by the weapons I support. And none of the weapons I support would be responsible for Las Vegas, or the latest mass murder by a jackanape with an AR-15.

And it's also something you don't even believe yourself since you think the government can keep its semi-autos and only the people should be restricted.
Nothing in my position is inconsistent. I also believe armies should have tanks. You shouldn't. And policemen and those who drive other emergency vehicles should have the ability to violate the speeding laws that restrain us. Because I approach the restriction of right via reason, not some dogmatic slavery to a principle that mocks reason.

When children aren't allowed to work under the care of their parents, they are left with worse things. As Krugman pointed out, child labor laws have ultimately damned children to work as prostitutes and to be mutilated.
Yeah, that's like blaming the law for criminals. Work that out at some point. You've been too ridiculous on it for me to do much more than point you in a rational direction.

Speaking on the topic of whether Yorzhik is stupid or not, Town Heretic says: "I'm about as unlikely to say you aren't."
I don't believe you're stupid. But when you do something as grotesquely stupid as repeatedly stating I'm for child prostitution, etc., I think that's both a reasonable and restrained response. Don't like it? Say something rational and better.

Call me dishonest and delusional if you like, but you're the one saying you support children being used as prostitutes and being mutilated.
No, I never have. And that makes you delusional or dishonest on the point.

As any good lawyer will tell his client the chances of winning, even when custody in divorce is contested, women will win at a 60-40 rate.
No good lawyer would make that statement. But it sounds like something you would. Again, the high 90s are settled between parents without the court having interjected. You can try to spin that any way you want, but the system isn't deciding the rule.

Even so, the best option would be for children to default to the custody of the father in every divorce case.The father can give the mother custody at his discretion. I realize that isn't popular,
Popular, it isn't even rational. So you've got bigger fish to fry.

In inflation adjusted dollars, it has skyrocketed. Cars have not.
Did you use one adjusted and one unadjusted set of figures? :think: In the mid 70s you could get a loaded Mustang for less than 4k. You know what that costs us today?

When given the choice between semi-auto and automatic fire, soldiers choose semi-auto. Semi-auto is better, you are just plain wrong here.
No, you're missing my point. I've said prior that automatic is a desperate measure and inferior except as a means of last ditch defense.

Oppressing a minority isn't a part of our history he says...
No, that's not what I wrote either. You're on a roll. Well, I suppose you're way to the left or right of a roll.

So if the government were to oppress a group again, might they start with going after them with government institutions like the IRS or the FBI? Since that is already happening, do you think we are naturally just better people than the Germans, or Russians, or Chinese, or Zimbabweans, or hosts of other countries who moved it to the next level?
Yeah, I've addressed the black helicopter paranoia fantasy in potential and compared it to the very real and present harm. Or, as a man once said to the German army, "Nuts."

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't get to this question before, but I'm curious if you think all guns that are more than single shot will be bought back at market prices or just confiscated if your ideas are implemented?

Right. I asked you if you were just making that up. Because why should I respond to a notion that isn't true? Even so I've told you in one of those posts that in any event the answer was no.
You didn't answer "no". I quoted all your responses to my follow-ups on that question.

But answering "no" is plenty good enough. It shows a lack of virtue and wisdom by you at least, if not academics, since the economic ideas of Keynes are particularly lacking in wisdom and virtue and have been shown to be so, exhaustively, for a long time.

This doesn't mean your idea of reducing all not-for-a-job-guns to single shot types is a bad one. Just that we can't take your ideas at face value being based on wisdom and virtue. In fact with the elitist behavior you've shown your ideas should be treated as not based on wisdom and virtue until proven otherwise.

Yorzhik said:
I don't insist you mean something else. I respond to what you write.
Town Heretic said:
You do on both counts. That you are incapable of seeing that is also something I won't debate, but invite anyone slogging through this to determine. I'm comfortable your work underscores my contention.
Yorzhik said:
But as we see in the comment immediately above, what you consider me misreading is just you being wrong.
Town Heretic said:
No, but it's like you to think that.
It's not what I like to think, it was shown by example in the quote immediately above.

Seventeen people died today so you could sport a weapon vastly superior to any the Founders had to consider when they wrote the right into our national fabric. Now I'll admit my breech loaders are also superior, but darn hard to kill dozens of people with.
You underestimate murderer Cruz. If he had used breech loaders to kill just 5 or 10, you would now be calling for a new ban. And yet, murdering with guns still wouldn't stop like it doesn't in countries with stronger gun restrictions. Yet, every murder would have you calling for stricter bans while violence and murder rates would go up (even though gun-violence and gun-homicide might go down).

Show some wisdom and virtue by trying to stop the problem instead of blaming an inanimate object, and taking things away from people who are not to blame for the problem you perceive.

Are you saying that admitting a good point is comparable to admitting oneself wrong? That you can't note a good point that you simply agree with and which doesn't materially alter your position? Also, didn't I particularly note the whole drugs/black market mea culpa?
Good point. I am wrong that you've never admitted I made a good point in this discussion since you realized you were wrong about the black market vs. reselling stolen but legal goods.

Because of your error I'm not saying you should stop your campaign to ban semi-auto guns for people (that don't use them for their jobs). But what it does mean is that my point that getting rid of black markets would do more to save lives than your gun restriction.

Yorzhik said:
This would be one of those times because what is allowed to defend one's self depends on it.
Town Heretic said:

If the definition of self defense is for people to defend themselves without the help of the government, that would include the most efficient way to do it that the people in question find. That currently happens to be with semi-autos. Using anything less would mean more training required, and less effectiveness on top of that. Using anything more would mean less effectiveness for more money. The easiest way to answer the question is: what, in general, would be used if the government didn't have a say in the matter?

As Nihilo said, the most efficient option for a single body to defend themselves is the current standard issue rifle used by the military. That's why it's the best option for self defense.

Now, if the definition of self defense includes relying on the government for protection from an imminent threat, then single shot weapons would be within that definition. That would also include the government deciding that sticks are the most lethal form of self defense allowed since they would draw the line on what level of weapon is allowed at their whim, not on the most efficient means of self defense.

You tried that already. If I'm talking about having a way to thwart cancer, saying that my not considering other diseases isn't a rebuttal. Never was and never will be.
This would be *another* example of your inability to read charitably. What I said is that for the analogy to be correct, thwarting the disease would have to act the same as attempting to thwart a human. So to make the analogy correct, you would have to say that curing cancer would have cancer finding other ways to kill you (saying other diseases would do more killing is essentially the same in the context of the analogy).

You have to literally believe, as I've noted prior, that ease of access has no impact, that everyone dead by mass shooters would have been killed some other way.
NO impact? EVERYONE? Are you sure I've said that? Can you quote me?

Not only have I said that confiscating people's guns will have an impact on gun violence, but Stripe and Nihilo have said so as well. There is literally no one on this thread that has engaged substantially with your proposal that hasn't admitted an impact. "In other news, water is wet."

What I've said was that there is no way to measure it. And you've admitted that. And I've said it will do more harm than good with good supporting evidence.

Actually, what the data shows is that every Western democracy that tries what I'm talking about has success stopping what I'm looking to stop. It also demonstrates that states with tougher gun laws to a much better job of stemming gun violence.
What we know is that murder rates don't change much after a ban/restriction. That means they didn't have success in terms of overall violence and homicide. And that's what the people think they were getting when bans and restrictions are imposed.

With you? Sure. And you've had the same goofy notions since you typed your first response. Anyone who has considered the problem seriously should have a pretty firm opinion/position by now.
The difference being that I actually looked up your evidence and considered it. I presented evidence that showed your position was wrong and you ignored it.

You've raised that flag a few times. The first time I challenged you demonstrate that quoting me and you didn't. Then I put a couple of lines from you that were entirely that. For some reason you've decided to try that tactic again, but it's just as wrong and I'm not going to do more than note it...or if I have time later go back and reprint that.
I have no problem with considering or using emotional arguments. What I'm saying is that your foundation is based entirely on emotion, because you argue only gun violence instead of violence in general and also you blame violence and homicide on the vague notion of being poor. While I use emotional arguments directly against your emotional arguments, my foundation for believing what I believe is based in the dialectic - science, tradition, pragmatism, and God's word.

The only meaningful distinction between them is the number of bullets you can fire in short order. The Founders were writing about weapons inferior to the ones that fit my description in every way.
The founders do not grant your right to self defense. What they considered a gun is irrelevant in this context.

The difference between being able to shoot only once per reload or more per reload is huge. You don't think it's a big difference in terms of defending one's self?

And the Founders believed them sufficient to protect the right. Ours are even better.
The founders didn't grant the right. And semi-autos are even better than today's single shot guns. Machine guns and tanks and bombs are not better than a semi-auto for general self defense.

The Founders were right. You can defend yourself with a breech loader. Or if you can't, you shouldn't even own a slingshot.
You can defend yourself better with a semi-auto, and easier too. And training with a semi-auto is easier, too. So your statement is just plain wrong.

No, the point is that everything those weapons could accomplish is bettered by the weapons I support.

Your point is irrelevant based on current technology.

And none of the weapons I support would be responsible for Las Vegas, or the latest mass murder by a jackanape with an AR-15.
And confiscating the weapons you propose will make no difference to the murder rate. And whatever means jackanapes use to murder will have to be met with another ban on your part because you aren't interested in solving the problem - you're only interested in blaming people that aren't responsible for the problem as a bandaid.

Nothing in my position is inconsistent.

You are correct. You are consistent within the context you have defined, which is not always wrong to do, but that does not always mean an idea is correct. Where you go wrong is that your consistency fails in the bigger context of reality - homicides are not defined by the tool used to do them.

This is exactly why your proposals fail the same way the courts fail when it comes to laws against murdering unborn children. Within the context of *women's* rights, they are consistent. But reality dictates they should have always been in the context of *human* rights. Likewise, you should understand your proposal in the context of homicide and violence, but that would make you inconsistent within the context of gun-violence and gun-homicide.

I also believe armies should have tanks. You shouldn't. And policemen and those who drive other emergency vehicles should have the ability to violate the speeding laws that restrain us. Because I approach the restriction of right via reason, not some dogmatic slavery to a principle that mocks reason.

Principles support reason, so what principle are you talking about here that mocks reason?

Tanks are worse for general self defense than a semi-auto. So are full automatics, bombs, sticks, and single shot guns. You could make tanks and full automatics legal for people to own, and almost no one would own them for self defense.

Also, there was a situation here recently where a choking child was rushed to the hospital at breakneck speed by the child's father. Nothing was done legally for speeding and the child was saved. So, no, you are not correct that we are always restricted.

Yeah, that's like blaming the law for criminals. Work that out at some point. You've been too ridiculous on it for me to do much more than point you in a rational direction.
Of course bad law creates criminals. That's why murder and slavery is intrinsic to socialism/communism. That's why people that *agree* it's OK to murder babies before they are born, even if they don't murder or have their babies murdered, will cause the same societal breakdown that tolerance for any murder would.

And that you think there is no rational argument that laws can create criminals is just another example of your mindset that only certain opinions are allowed to be discussed.

I don't believe you're stupid. But when you do something as grotesquely stupid as repeatedly stating I'm for child prostitution, etc., I think that's both a reasonable and restrained response. Don't like it? Say something rational and better.

I said what I did to get you off of your index card of allowable opinion. You don't even think of the consequences of child labor laws because in your mind no one can make a good point against them. But then Paul Krugman did. And the reason his point was a good one is because child labor laws not only negatively affect families in extreme poverty, but it affects affluent western families negatively too, for the same reasons.

Without showing you what happens at the end of your thinking, you would never even consider consequences less than prostitution and maiming.

No, I never have. And that makes you delusional or dishonest on the point.
Supra

No good lawyer would make that statement. But it sounds like something you would. Again, the high 90s are settled between parents without the court having interjected. You can try to spin that any way you want, but the system isn't deciding the rule.

I have to admit, when you say 90% of divorces never even make it to court, that does not support my assertion. But it doesn't line up with popular thinking, either. So I'd like to look more into this and look at your data. Are courts not involved in 90% of custody cases? Or their only involvement is just to record what the divorcing parents decide in 90% of the custody cases? Is court-ordered child support only in 10% of custody cases?

Yorzhik said:
Even so, the best option would be for children to default to the custody of the father in every divorce case.
Town Heretic said:
Popular, it isn't even rational. So you've got bigger fish to fry.

It's rational according to science, tradition, common sense, and God's opinion. It only seems irrational to you because it isn't on your index card of allowable opinion.

Did you use one adjusted and one unadjusted set of figures? :think: In the mid 70s you could get a loaded Mustang for less than 4k. You know what that costs us today?

Both graphs were inflation adjusted.

No, you're missing my point. I've said prior that automatic is a desperate measure and inferior except as a means of last ditch defense.
I got your point. Thanks for making mine. People defending themselves don't expect to get into a situation where they need automatic fire. In fact, people would consider automatic fire a bad thing for their purposes and just wouldn't buy it for self defense. Therefore, you don't even need laws against such guns because, in general, people wouldn't want them. This would not be the same in the context of single-shot relative to semi-auto.

No, that's not what I wrote either. You're on a roll. Well, I suppose you're way to the left or right of a roll.

It's exactly what you wrote. I pointed out that we shouldn't be so sure the government will always be not-too-bad.

When a government goes bad, for some reason, even though their army would have no problem defeating the armed masses, they want to disarm said masses anyway. Don't you think that's odd? But for whatever odd reason they don't want the masses to have guns, wisdom would dictate we do the opposite.

And we can agree our government is currently not too bad. The people they murder through commission and omission isn't so frequent or out in the open that it's on everyone's mind daily. But once you take everyone's gun, neither a bad government or a not-too-bad government is going to ever let people get them back again. And since it doesn't make any difference to violence or homicide, better to keep the guns in the hands that a bad government doesn't want them in if it ever comes to that.

Will it ever come to that? It did in other countries and started down that road in ours more than once. At least my ideas can be implemented a little at a time (and being able to measure the success of an idea with each little step). And reversal is easy if an idea doesn't work.

Your ideas are irreversible, and so you better be 100% sure the government cannot go bad, and that homicide and violence will go down in a measurable way before you pull the trigger on your idea.

Yeah, I've addressed the black helicopter paranoia fantasy in potential and compared it to the very real and present harm. Or, as a man once said to the German army, "Nuts."

And your elitist bubble of a life that leads you to ignore any evidence that the government might go bad is why your ideas lack wisdom and virtue.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't get to this question before, but I'm curious if you think all guns that are more than single shot will be bought back at market prices or just confiscated if your ideas are implemented?
I think the only fair thing is to purchase them at market value or provide a tax break in the same amount for every gun surrendered in compliance with the law.

You didn't answer "no". I quoted all your responses to my follow-ups on that question.

So you'll agree that if we find out that most people with a post graduate degree believe in government intervention in the economy on the scale we see today, or more, that we could consider them to have a lack of virtue and wisdom?
No. I was just curious as to why you thought that and if there was any actual support for it empirically.

If there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?
I answered that in the quote you posted before writing this...no. It's an intellectually unsupported assertion.

But answering "no" is plenty good enough. It shows a lack of virtue and wisdom by you at least, if not academics, since the economic ideas of Keynes are particularly lacking in wisdom and virtue and have been shown to be so, exhaustively, for a long time.
All that actually demonstrates is your habit of confusing your bias and declaration with empirical truth, which I think was already established, but thanks for the doubling down.

This doesn't mean your idea of reducing all not-for-a-job-guns to single shot types is a bad one.
It also doesn't mean that a ribeye is a sort of fish byproduct.

Just that we can't take your ideas at face value being based on wisdom and virtue.
That's just gibberish dressed up in grammatically self-serving robes.

In fact with the elitist behavior you've shown
Again, you're the one hung up on that and it's funny given you have to then feel superior to people you brand elitist.

You underestimate murderer Cruz. If he had used breech loaders to kill just 5 or 10, you would now be calling for a new ban.
Complete nonsense disconnected from any realistic hypothetical not involving paraplegics. And no. I believe that the weapons I've noted are necessary for the right to meaningfully exist.

And yet, murdering with guns still wouldn't stop like it doesn't in countries with stronger gun restriction
s.
No one is suggesting that murder by gun would cease to be. Only that where you see those laws and restrictions you see a commiserate and dramatic reduction in them.

Show some wisdom and virtue by trying to stop the problem instead of blaming an inanimate object
The blame for what happened in Florida is found in the individual who committed the act and those who facilitated it, the designer, manufacturer, and sellers of weapons whose singular distinction is the destruction of a large number of people or things in a very short order. It's an access, design, and people problem.

and taking things away from people who are not to blame for the problem you perceive.
And it's not a problem born of my perception. It's an empirically verifiable fact. Seventeen examples recently found in Florida.

As Nihilo said, the most efficient option for a single body to defend themselves is the current standard issue rifle used by the military. That's why it's the best option for self defense.
Yeah, he and you are both wrong on that. Without serious muscle memory training you're more likely to spray innocent bystanders than to use the extra firepower effectively. And if you're in the throes of an adrenaline fueled response then you're better off with a shotgun. Depending on the shot you use you're more likely to actually stop someone within a reasonable distance from you.

to make the analogy correct, you would have to say that curing cancer would have cancer finding other ways to kill you (saying other diseases would do more killing is essentially the same in the context of the analogy).
Since you haven't established the peculiar argument that the people killed by mass shooting would be killed by some other means, that's a lot of wasted verbiage.

Not only have I said that confiscating people's guns will have an impact on gun violence, but Stripe and Nihilo have said so as well.
Now say the rest of what negates that appearance of rationality.

There is literally no one on this thread that has engaged substantially with your proposal that hasn't admitted an impact. "In other news, water is wet."
It's the degree of impact that makes it meaningful or a rhetorical trick.

What I've said was that there is no way to measure it. And you've admitted that. And I've said it will do more harm than good with good supporting evidence.
No, I haven't "admitted" that. What I've noted, repeatedly and with links to data in support, is that every Western democracy with strong gun laws has significantly lower numbers of mass shootings and gun violence, and that even in a lesser light, our states with the strongest gun laws have the lowest per 100k deaths by firearms, while the states with the weakest laws have the highest number of deaths by firearms per 100k and that the distinctions in averages even there are significant.

I have no problem with considering or using emotional arguments.
I know.

What I'm saying is that your foundation is based entirely on emotion
You can say cheese is a mineral too. Same foundation in fact and reason.

because you argue only gun violence instead of violence in general
Focusing on gun violence isn't making an emotional argument. It's simply focusing on something we can impact that impacts us needlessly and negatively.

and also you blame violence and homicide on the vague notion of being poor.
No. I never have. What I've noted is that where you have concentrations of poor you have a great deal more criminal enterprise and violence.

The founders do not grant your right to self defense.
Actually, the law defines what is permissible and does define the distinction between manslaughter, murder, and self-defense.

The difference between being able to shoot only once per reload or more per reload is huge. You don't think it's a big difference in terms of defending one's self?
I know that if you have a shotgun and you don't believe you can defend yourself with it you're not really going to defend yourself with anything else. You're only going to have a false sense of security until your deficiency on the point is illustrated in the dead of night, etc.

You can defend yourself better with a semi-auto, and easier too. And training with a semi-auto is easier, too. So your statement is just plain wrong.
There's no real meaning to "better" if you can defend yourself. You're creating an artificial scale to attempt to out point what reason won't allow. If you can protect yourself with the weapons I noted, which are clearly superior to the weapons the framers of the right considered sufficient, then anything beyond that is needless and in light of the verificable cost and danger, worse.

And confiscating the weapons you propose will make no difference to the murder rate
Of course it will. You even said so when you "admitted" that taking weapons out of circulation has to have an impact. Water is wet. Or were you just blowing smoke through that water?

And whatever means jackanapes use to murder will have to be met with another ban on your part because you aren't interested in solving the problem - you're only interested in blaming people that aren't responsible for the problem as a bandaid.
Literally nothing in that is true. Consistent, but untrue.

Principles support reason
They frequently do, but they often don't. This debate frames that well enough.

, so what principle are you talking about here that mocks reason?
Your belief that you should have a right to the weapons I'm speaking against.

Tanks are worse for general self defense than a semi-auto.
How many people are robbed or shot in a tank in this country each year?

Also, there was a situation here recently where a choking child was rushed to the hospital at breakneck speed by the child's father. Nothing was done legally for speeding and the child was saved. So, no, you are not correct that we are always restricted.
No, the problem is that you don't understand what I'm saying. Every right is subject to restriction. Your example isn't a right. The law recognizes distinctions rooted in our action, to side bar a moment. That is, we distinguish shooting a burglar from shooting someone who merely annoys you. And we distinguish, mitigate, an abrogation of law for a purpose sufficient to justify it. A very different animal.

Of course bad law creates criminals.
Rather, willful actions create criminal activity. The rest is argument and mitigation.

That's why people that *agree* it's OK to murder babies before they are born, even if they don't murder or have their babies murdered, will cause the same societal breakdown that tolerance for any murder would.
People agree it's okay to kill the unborn for much the same reason you favor weapons that we both know make mass murder more likely, most people are motivated by the perception of their own self-interest. We're a selfish culture as often as not, for all our altruism.

You don't even think of the consequences of child labor laws because in your mind no one can make a good point against them.
Rather, what you call consequences of child labor laws are actually the consequences of the acts of those responsible for harming children, not the laws.

I have to admit, when you say 90% of divorces never even make it to court, that does not support my assertion. But it doesn't line up with popular thinking, either.
Then popular thinking is in need of factual understanding.

So I'd like to look more into this and look at your data. Are courts not involved in 90% of custody cases? Or their only involvement is just to record what the divorcing parents decide in 90% of the custody cases? Is court-ordered child support only in 10% of custody cases?
Courts are involved when anyone files a complaint for anything. Then almost entirely the mother and father work out between them any number of things, including child custody. It isn't unusual for the Court's involvement to be limited to a smattering of property or alimony considerations, if that.

It's rational according to science, tradition, common sense, and God's opinion. It only seems irrational to you because it isn't on your index card of allowable opinion.
Declarative nonsense unsupported by reason. I omitted the earlier efforts. This is the boilerplate response to your boilerplate advance.

I'm omitting the paranoid fantasy bit. Just not interested for the reasons offered prior.

But once you take everyone's gun
Which has nothing to do with my proffer and everything to do with the paranoid fantasy bit.

Will it ever come to that? It did in other countries and started down that road in ours more than once.
None of the western democracies I noted have had these protections in place for some time have done anything of the sort.

Your ideas are irreversible
Not if you understand how the Constitution works.

And your elitist bubble of a life
The life where I gave up a partnership offer to be a poverty lawyer or a public education teacher?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

This doesn't mean your idea of reducing all not-for-a-job-guns to single shot types is a bad one. Just that we can't take your ideas at face value being based on wisdom and virtue. In fact with the elitist behavior you've shown your ideas should be treated as not based on wisdom and virtue until proven otherwise.

It's not what I like to think, it was shown by example in the quote immediately above.

You underestimate murderer Cruz. If he had used breech loaders to kill just 5 or 10, you would now be calling for a new ban. And yet, murdering with guns still wouldn't stop like it doesn't in countries with stronger gun restrictions. Yet, every murder would have you calling for stricter bans while violence and murder rates would go up (even though gun-violence and gun-homicide might go down).

Show some wisdom and virtue by trying to stop the problem instead of blaming an inanimate object, and taking things away from people who are not to blame for the problem you perceive.

Good point. I am wrong that you've never admitted I made a good point in this discussion since you realized you were wrong about the black market vs. reselling stolen but legal goods.

Because of your error I'm not saying you should stop your campaign to ban semi-auto guns for people (that don't use them for their jobs). But what it does mean is that my point that getting rid of black markets would do more to save lives than your gun restriction.

If the definition of self defense is for people to defend themselves without the help of the government, that would include the most efficient way to do it that the people in question find. That currently happens to be with semi-autos. Using anything less would mean more training required, and less effectiveness on top of that. Using anything more would mean less effectiveness for more money. The easiest way to answer the question is: what, in general, would be used if the government didn't have a say in the matter?

Now, if the definition of self defense includes relying on the government for protection from an imminent threat, then single shot weapons would be within that definition. That would also include the government deciding that sticks are the most lethal form of self defense allowed since they would draw the line on what level of weapon is allowed at their whim, not on the most efficient means of self defense.

This would be *another* example of your inability to read charitably. What I said is that for the analogy to be correct, thwarting the disease would have to act the same as attempting to thwart a human. So to make the analogy correct, you would have to say that curing cancer would have cancer finding other ways to kill you (saying other diseases would do more killing is essentially the same in the context of the analogy).

NO impact? EVERYONE? Are you sure I've said that? Can you quote me?

Not only have I said that confiscating people's guns will have an impact on gun violence, but Stripe and Nihilo have said so as well. There is literally no one on this thread that has engaged substantially with your proposal that hasn't admitted an impact. "In other news, water is wet."

What we know is that murder rates don't change much after a ban/restriction. That means they didn't have success in terms of overall violence and homicide. And that's what the people think they were getting when bans and restrictions are imposed.

The difference being that I actually looked up your evidence and considered it. I presented evidence that showed your position was wrong and you ignored it.

I have no problem with considering or using emotional arguments. What I'm saying is that your foundation is based entirely on emotion, because you argue only gun violence instead of violence in general and also you blame violence and homicide on the vague notion of being poor. While I use emotional arguments directly against your emotional arguments, my foundation for believing what I believe is based in the dialectic - science, tradition, pragmatism, and God's word.

The founders do not grant your right to self defense. What they considered a gun is irrelevant in this context.

The founders didn't grant the right. And semi-autos are even better than today's single shot guns. Machine guns and tanks and bombs are not better than a semi-auto for general self defense.

Your point is irrelevant based on current technology.

And confiscating the weapons you propose will make no difference to the murder rate. And whatever means jackanapes use to murder will have to be met with another ban on your part because you aren't interested in solving the problem - you're only interested in blaming people that aren't responsible for the problem as a bandaid.

You are correct. You are consistent within the context you have defined, which is not always wrong to do, but that does not always mean an idea is correct. Where you go wrong is that your consistency fails in the bigger context of reality - homicides are not defined by the tool used to do them.

This is exactly why your proposals fail the same way the courts fail when it comes to laws against murdering unborn children. Within the context of *women's* rights, they are consistent. But reality dictates they should have always been in the context of *human* rights. Likewise, you should understand your proposal in the context of homicide and violence, but that would make you inconsistent within the context of gun-violence and gun-homicide.

Principles support reason, so what principle are you talking about here that mocks reason?

Tanks are worse for general self defense than a semi-auto. So are full automatics, bombs, sticks, and single shot guns. You could make tanks and full automatics legal for people to own, and almost no one would own them for self defense.

Of course bad law creates criminals. That's why murder and slavery is intrinsic to socialism/communism. That's why people that *agree* it's OK to murder babies before they are born, even if they don't murder or have their babies murdered, will cause the same societal breakdown that tolerance for any murder would.

And that you think there is no rational argument that laws can create criminals is just another example of your mindset that only certain opinions are allowed to be discussed.

I said what I did to get you off of your index card of allowable opinion. You don't even think of the consequences of child labor laws because in your mind no one can make a good point against them. But then Paul Krugman did. And the reason his point was a good one is because child labor laws not only negatively affect families in extreme poverty, but it affects affluent western families negatively too, for the same reasons.

Without showing you what happens at the end of your thinking, you would never even consider consequences less than prostitution and maiming.

Supra

I have to admit, when you say 90% of divorces never even make it to court, that does not support my assertion. But it doesn't line up with popular thinking, either. So I'd like to look more into this and look at your data. Are courts not involved in 90% of custody cases? Or their only involvement is just to record what the divorcing parents decide in 90% of the custody cases? Is court-ordered child support only in 10% of custody cases?

Both graphs were inflation adjusted.

I got your point. Thanks for making mine. People defending themselves don't expect to get into a situation where they need automatic fire. In fact, people would consider automatic fire a bad thing for their purposes and just wouldn't buy it for self defense. Therefore, you don't even need laws against such guns because, in general, people wouldn't want them. This would not be the same in the context of single-shot relative to semi-auto.

It's exactly what you wrote. I pointed out that we shouldn't be so sure the government will always be not-too-bad.

When a government goes bad, for some reason, even though their army would have no problem defeating the armed masses, they want to disarm said masses anyway. Don't you think that's odd? But for whatever odd reason they don't want the masses to have guns, wisdom would dictate we do the opposite.

And we can agree our government is currently not too bad. The people they murder through commission and omission isn't so frequent or out in the open that it's on everyone's mind daily. But once you take everyone's gun, neither a bad government or a not-too-bad government is going to ever let people get them back again. And since it doesn't make any difference to violence or homicide, better to keep the guns in the hands that a bad government doesn't want them in if it ever comes to that.

Will it ever come to that? It did in other countries and started down that road in ours more than once. At least my ideas can be implemented a little at a time (and being able to measure the success of an idea with each little step). And reversal is easy if an idea doesn't work.

Your ideas are irreversible, and so you better be 100% sure the government cannot go bad, and that homicide and violence will go down in a measurable way before you pull the trigger on your idea.

And your elitist bubble of a life that leads you to ignore any evidence that the government might go bad is why your ideas lack wisdom and virtue.

Legendary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsanford108

Like the XFL.

Two things:
1.) XFL comment: great.
2.) Would you be willing to engage in a reasonable, logical conversation about guns/bans/etc?

I like and appreciate your approach to discussion (as noted once before when I discovered you were a paralegal). I think that two reasonable people (such as you and I) could have a productive and progressive conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

DavidK

After the Las Vegas shooting people call for ban on guns.

If you take away everyone's gun, then people will resort to home made guns and bombs.

The real problem is the people in the world.

Conservatives like this argument when it comes to guns. They dismiss the same argument, however, when applied to other things. Like abortion.

If you take away the right to an abortion, women will resort to back alley abortions. The real problem is unwanted pregnancy.

As a Christian, I acknowledge that the real problem is really the sin resident in the heart of every one of us. There is a remedy for that, but God, in His wisdom, made it a voluntary remedy until the end of this age.

So that leads to the question of how do we mitigate, as much as we can, the destruction that can be unleashed by that sin? The answer is that we enact laws in an attempt to balance freedom and security.

As neither a conservative nor liberal, I reject the argument that says if we enact laws there will just be people who break them. It doesn't hold up in regards to abortion. It doesn't hold up in regards to gun control. Regulation will not eliminate all evil, but it is our job as a society to find the right amount of regulation that will limit it as much as possible.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Two things:
1.) XFL comment: great.
:cheers:

2.) Would you be willing to engage in a reasonable, logical conversation about guns/bans/etc?
Sure. I've tried a few times, but mostly I'm met with institutionalized paranoia, the peculiar notion that rights aren't subject to reason, and arguments from tradition.

I like and appreciate your approach to discussion (as noted once before when I discovered you were a paralegal).
Worse, I am and have been for many years an actual lawyer (nothing against paralegals, but if I'm going to pass the Bar, pay for the license and suffer the CLE, I'm taking full credit, or blame, depending on your perspective).

I think that two reasonable people (such as you and I) could have a productive and progressive conversation.
I don't see why not, though I'm only here now and again, as my third act educational practice keeps me away and busy these days.

Lon

Conservatives like this argument when it comes to guns. They dismiss the same argument, however, when applied to other things. Like abortion.
Apples/Oranges. It is ALWAYS wrong to abort, even if a deemed necessary evil. It is NOT always, (and rarely) evil to own a gun. When I carried one in Alaska to protect kids from being mauled, it was a 'good' thing (unless you hug grizzly bears).

If you take away the right to an abortion, women will resort to back alley abortions. The real problem is unwanted pregnancy.
How does ▲this▲ mesh with ▼this▼?

As a Christian, I acknowledge that the real problem is really the sin resident in the heart of every one of us. There is a remedy for that, but God, in His wisdom, made it a voluntary remedy until the end of this age.
I don't understand how there can be two 'real problem.' There is a verb/plural disagreement. I agree with the latter that sin is always our real problem, however.

So that leads to the question of how do we mitigate, as much as we can, the destruction that can be unleashed by that sin? The answer is that we enact laws in an attempt to balance freedom and security.
As long as they don't inadvertently kill somebody else. The media isn't going to cover a group of mauled Alaskans, like a school shooting. If they did, bear maulings aren't going to go up because of the media-attention. Bears aren't into copy-cat or attention grabbing media. We've had school shootings. It is MORE about who is reporting what and why. I'd even suggest a HUGE part of this has to do with 'responsible' journalism vs irresponsible journalism. It 'used' to be, that journalism would take great care and concern before it passed off anything. Some 'rags' started bucking that system. Talk shows and circuses haven't led to good things in our society. I'd suggest, more than guns, that they are blatantly more responsible for school shooting in this country. The pen, obviously, is mightier than the sword (gun) in this country. Guns deaths are the by-product of irresponsibility.

As neither a conservative nor liberal, I reject the argument that says if we enact laws there will just be people who break them.
:chuckle: Sorry. I can't make a comment here, just cannot believe you ACTUALLY reject we have lawbreakers. Caught me WAY off guard!

It doesn't hold up in regards to abortion.
See... this is part of that. I 'think' you needed to think harder before posting.

It doesn't hold up in regards to gun control. Regulation will not eliminate all evil, but it is our job as a society to find the right amount of regulation that will limit it as much as possible.
The problem is that you've both posted why there should and shouldn't be laws about guns in the same breath. :(
For something so important, you really need to be cogent and well-thought-out on these important matters, David. I think you meant to say something and hopefully something important, but you missed that calling. As a Christian, I challenge you to seek a matter out and be strong and proactive for Christ over that matter.

I think, for instance, if TownHeretic and I had the time, he'd take one side and I'd take the other. I would even acquiesce that someone doesn't need an AK-47 but if someone can show a need for one, they need to have that availability (I'm thinking my Alaska days again). Government cannot take away my rights, even if well-intended, if those intentions damage something else important we are guaranteed as US citizens. We CAN come up with proactive ways to stop school shootings. I as a parent 'can' keep my kids from being shot in schools. Most of them are legal and Constitutional. I'd expect the same from another coming up with 'suggestions.' -Lon