Fact: Only Democrats owned slaves in America

genuineoriginal

A Short History of Democrats, Republicans, and Racism

Fact: The Republican Party was founded primarily to oppose slavery, and Republicans eventually abolished slavery. The Democratic Party fought them and tried to maintain and expand slavery. The 13th Amendment, abolishing slavery, passed in 1865 with 100% Republican support but only 23% Democrat support in congress.

Why is this indisputable fact so rarely mentioned? PBS documentaries about slavery and the Civil War barely mention it, for example. One can certainly argue that the parties have changed in 150 years (more about that below), but that does not change the historical fact that it was the Democrats who supported slavery and the Republicans who opposed it. And that indisputable fact should not be airbrushed out for fear that it will tarnish the modern Democratic Party.

Had the positions of the parties been the opposite, and the Democrats had fought the Republicans to end slavery, the historical party roles would no doubt be repeated incessantly in these documentaries. Funny how that works.

Fact: During the Civil War era, the "Radical Republicans" were given that name because they wanted to not only end slavery but also to endow the freed slaves with full citizenship, equality, and rights.

Yes, that was indeed a radical idea at the time!

Fact: Lincoln's Vice President, Andrew Johnson, was a strongly pro-Union (but also pro-slavery) Democrat who had been chosen by Lincoln as a compromise running mate to attract Democrats. After Lincoln was assassinated, Johnson thwarted Republican efforts in Congress to recognize the civil rights of the freed slaves, and Southern Democrats continued to thwart any such efforts for close to a century.

Fact: The 14th Amendment, giving full citizenship to freed slaves, passed in 1868 with 94% Republican support and 0% Democrat support in congress. The 15th Amendment, giving freed slaves the right to vote, passed in 1870 with 100% Republican support and 0% Democrat support in congress.

Regardless of what has happened since then, shouldn't we be grateful to the Republicans for these Amendments to the Constitution? And shouldn't we remember which party stood for freedom and which party fiercely opposed it?

Fact: The Ku Klux Klan was originally and primarily an arm of the Southern Democratic Party. Its mission was to terrorize freed slaves and "ni**er-loving" (their words) Republicans who sympathized with them.

Why is this fact conveniently omitted in so many popular histories and depictions of the KKK, including PBS documentaries? Had the KKK been founded by Republicans, that fact would no doubt be repeated constantly on those shows.

genuineoriginal

Yes, those Republicans were really something...over a hundred and fifty years ago. :plain:

But just to be a contrarian, Grant, Republican president and general extraordinaire, owned at least one slave until the passing of the 13th Amendment. You think he was the only one? :think:
Dinesh D'Souza already pointed out that Grant was a Democrat when he inherited the slave

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dinesh D'Souza already pointed out that Grant was a Democrat when he inherited the slave
Kept him though. More than a few households had that going on, but I didn't watch the video. I stopped doing that a while back when I ran into language around my kid that I didn't think belonged on the site and without warning.

I follow the odd link to take a look at source material, or I wait for summaries of salient points. The title was errant and that was enough for me to make mention of one of the facts I have on hand regarding it. But again, no arguing that working on two hundred years ago the Republicans were the progressives.

Time is a funny thing.

genuineoriginal

Kept him though. More than a few households had that going on, but I didn't watch the video. I stopped doing that a while back when I ran into language around my kid that I didn't think belonged on the site and without warning.

I follow the odd link to take a look at source material, or I wait for summaries of salient points. The title was errant and that was enough for me to make mention of one of the facts I have on hand regarding it. But again, no arguing that working on two hundred years ago the Republicans were the progressives.

Time is a funny thing.

Here is what Dinesh D'Souza said about Grant in the clip:
"The only example in the entire debate following my move is sombody said that, 'Ulysses H. Grant inherited on his wife's side a slave.' And I pointed out that that was true, but that occurred at a time when Ulysses H. Grant was a Democrat."

MrDante

"The only example in the entire debate following my move is sombody said that, 'Ulysses H. Grant inherited on his wife's side a slave.' And I pointed out that that was true, but that occurred at a time when Ulysses H. Grant was a Democrat."

Which shows D'Souza is either a liar or an idiot (probably both) The claim that he was a democrat is based solely on how he voted in the 1856 presidential election. Grant himself stated that he didn't care for James Buchanan but voted for him any as he felt the Republican nominee was to far to the left.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Slaveholders among prominent Founding Fathers (Held slaves at some point in time)

Slaveholders

Founding Father - State

Charles Carroll -Maryland

Samuel Chase - Maryland

Benjamin Franklin - Pennsylvania

Button Gwinnett - Georgia

Patrick Henry - Virginia

John Jay - New York

Thomas Jefferson - Virginia

John Hancock - Massachusetts

Richard Henry Lee - Virginia

James Madison - Virginia

Charles Cotesworth Pinckney - South Carolina

Benjamin Rush - Pennsylvania

Edward Rutledge - South Carolina

George Washington - Virginia

Non-slaveholders
Founding Father - State

John Adams - Massachusetts

Samuel Adams - Massachusetts

Oliver Ellsworth - Connecticut

Alexander Hamilton - New York

Robert Treat Paine - Massachusetts

Thomas Paine - Pennsylvania

Roger Sherman - Connecticut

https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Founding-Fathers-and-Slavery-1269536

Only Democrats owned slaves in America

Given that 14 of the 21 "Founding Fathers" were also slave owners, does that mean that the nation was "founded" by Democrats?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know if that's true, but it's entertaining.

On the whole I'm wondering what the point of the consideration is given the time and distinctions between Lincoln's party and the group we have today. It seems a bit like suggesting that because my great great grandfather was a slave owner or an abolitionist it has meaning in terms of how my family should be seen today...which is an irrational position to take. And if it isn't that, what the devil is it? :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
Dinesh D'Souza is as phony as a three dollar bill . No intelligent person could take this bigoted clown seriously . He's a joke . And a hypocritical schmuck .

Thanks for that textbook example of the Ad hominem.
Not a single syllable of rebuttal.

genuineoriginal

Before Charlottesville, Democrats voted for racist policies for more than 100 years

Long after slavery was over, the Democratic Party continued down their path to deny African Americans their rights. Wikipedia refers to this as the era of "disenfranchisement" when "Democrats worked to exclude blacks" from civil liberties.

PBS reported, "The Democratic Party identified itself as the 'white man's party' and demonized the Republican Party as being 'Negro dominated,' even though whites were in control."

The Democratic Party was responsible for passing Jim Crow laws, in addition to Black Civil Codes that forced Americans to utilize separate drinking fountains, swimming pools, and other facilities in the 20th century.

Even Democratic icons such as Kennedy voted against the 1957 Civil Rights Act while in the U.S. Senate. Sen. Al Gore, Sr., D-Tenn., also opposed it.