Trump Tax Reform

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

I thought you were saying that cutting corporate rates is like helping individuals because companies are made up of individuals, but benefits are not spread evenly. Corporate benefits end up skewing toward the upper levels.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Some corporate actions in the wake of the bill

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybe...table-donations-thanks-to-tax-reform-n2425324

Comcast - bonus
Boeing - funding for employee and charitable investment (doesn't say what the employee investment would be)
Fifth Third Bank - increased min wage and a bonus
AT&T - bonuses
Wells Fargo - increased min wage and some more charity work

The bonuses seem gimmicky (would be interesting to know what their past bonus practices were) but the couple examples of increased min wage could be more lasting changes to benefit workers.

Danoh

Exactly. I wouldn't argue strongly against the idea that Vox tends to lean left (the Podcast is definitely left, website seems more balanced) but yelling about the source is pointless. Respond to the information. If you are skeptical of the source and don't want to spend time on it then just don't respond at all.

Not sure if you are familiar with the site "All Sides"?

https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

(Their site begins just after their annual fund drive part).

Their findings on Vox...

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/vox-news

At the same, I hold that it does not matter where anyone is often coming from, rather when and where they are neverthess being objective at any given point in time, within any of their rhetoric.

Case in point, in the following, the Apostle Paul is found agreeing with the objective point made by an individual he probably would not have often agreed with.

Titus 1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

But then, the Apostle Paul has never struck me as having been an individual who after his conversion remained the extremist right religious bigot he had once been.

Acts 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? 26:9 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities. 26:12 Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, 26:13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 26:16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. 26:21 For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.

The irony...

The extremists he had once held with, now viewed him as their enemy...now that he was no longer of their number or kind...

Same old, same old...

rexlunae

That's a perfectly honorable thing to do.
All the Dems in Congress that voted against it should pay the old rate.

That's not how taxes work. Taxes aren't voluntary. Plus, those of us in high-tax states may well pay a tax hike.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
#notmytaxbreak

Yes! We need to send back that portion of our paycheck that went to trickle down government so we can create the middle class that wasn't being created before.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Signed Sealed Delivered

GettyImages-897247206-700x420.jpg

fool

Hall of Fame
I thought you were saying that cutting corporate rates is like helping individuals because companies are made up of individuals, but benefits are not spread evenly. Corporate benefits end up skewing toward the upper levels.

Or the shareholders.
Where is your 401k, IRA, Roth at?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wanna know when the government started thinking that MY money is really just theirs to decide to spend as they please????

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I wanna know when the government started thinking that MY money is really just theirs to decide to spend as they please????
I don't get the shock of the left that taxes for the middle class will go up in about ten years. Do they expect taxes to never go up again? Maybe the dems can "fix" taxes if they can win in 2024.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Anybody can provide a tax cut with $1.5 trillion in borrowed money - it would take skill to make it revenue neutral!

As for taxing for the middle class, rates are scheduled to remain low until after the 2018 Midterms.

The fact that the tax cuts for the middle class are temporary, while those for corporations are permanent, speaks volumes as to whose best interests are really being served!
Cheer up jgard, it's Christmas and Trump gave you a present. Money in your pocket. The media keeps you in a stupor, indoctrinated, induced and coaxed. They realize that this is a huge win for Donald and all hope is lost.

The luckless voodooed democrats are in shambles with no message and no leader in sight. The only thing they can do is say "9 million Tiny Tims will die".

fool

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. What does a guy in India have to do with someone here looking at their taxes?

If a guy in India is telling me how to fix my printer then a guy here isn't

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have no idea where Trump got the idea that by simply repealing the individual mandate, that Obamacare itself is repealed. The law remains, with all its flaws, accept that without the individual mandate fewer healthy people will buy over-priced insurance they no longer need, meaning premiums will now rise even faster for those who still do.

Peter Schiff

Neither do I :idunno:

One-third of American adults believe that President Trump has successfully repealed Obamacare, a new poll from the Economist and YouGov finds.

The poll of 1,000 adults shows that 31 percent believe Trump has repealed the Affordable Care Act, 49 percent say he hasn’t, and 21 percent are unsure.

Of those who identify as Republican voters, 44 percent say that Trump has repealed Obamacare.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/27/16822748/republicans-trump-repeal-obamacare

drbrumley

One-third of American adults believe that President Trump has successfully repealed Obamacare, a new poll from the Economist and YouGov finds.

The poll of 1,000 adults shows that 31 percent believe Trump has repealed the Affordable Care Act, 49 percent say he hasn’t, and 21 percent are unsure.

Of those who identify as Republican voters, 44 percent say that Trump has repealed Obamacare.

:rotfl: That's good stuff KMO

kmoney

Hall of Fame

You might be especially appalled by the income tax, and maybe you have something to consider about what an income tax implies about who owns your labor, but when you are against ALL taxes it makes it harder to discuss.

I thought of our little exchange when I read this article today though.

I keep hearing about how tax cuts are “giveaways” for the rich. Never mind that some rich people will see their taxes go up. This is philosophically grotesque. The people saying it may be more civilized and restrained than the pro-government mobs in the streets of Caracas, but it’s still basically the same idea: “The People” or “the nation” own everything. The state is the expression of the peoples’ spirit or of the nation’s “will,” and therefore it effectively owns everything. Thus, taking less money from you is the same as giving you more money.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/454924/america-venezuela-john-rawls-original-position

Gary K

Banned

The removal of the individual mandate is the defacto, even if not the dejure, end of Obamacare. That no one will be forced to buy these unaffordable policies means the Obamacare system will simply collapse due to its own weight. It means the premiums and deductibles will skyrocket in cost for the only thing keeping the premiums from rising even faster than they have so far is the fear of the people of being fined by the IRS for not buying. Once that fear is removed the pool of people buying will shrink to almost nothing, and the insurance companies will abandon it in droves.