The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

God's Truth

(I found this interesting; maybe someone else will too)

Below are many historical quotes from theologians and other writers that heavily indicate that Matthew 28:19 has been altered.

It must be remembered that we have no known manuscripts that were written in the first, second or third centuries. There is a gap of over three hundred years between when Matthew wrote his epistle and our earliest manuscript copies. (It also took over three hundred years for the Catholic Church to evolve into what the “early church fathers” wanted it to become.)

This is what my research revealed. Eusebius was the Bishop of Caesarea and is known as “the Father of Church History.” He wrote prolifically and his most celebrated work is his Ecclesiastical History, a history of the Church from the Apostolic period until his own time. Eusebius quotes many verses in his writings including Matthew 28:19 several times. But he never quotes it as it appears in modern Bibles. He always finishes the verse with the words “in my name.”

The following excerpts come from an unaltered book of Matthew that could have even been the original or the first copy of the original of Matthew. Thus Eusebius informs us of the actual words Jesus spoke to his disciples in Matthew 28:19.

[http://www]“With one word and voice He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all nations in My Name, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you,” — (Proof of the Gospel by Eusebius, Book III, ch 6, 132 (a), p. 152)

“But while the disciples of Jesus were most likely either saying thus, or thinking thus, the Master solved their difficulties, by the addition of one phrase, saying they should triumph “In MY NAME.” And the power of His name being so great, that the apostle says: “God has given him a name which is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth,” He shewed the virtue of the power in His Name concealed from the crowd when He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all the nations in my Name.” He also most accurately forecasts the future when He says: “for this gospel must first be preached to all the world, for a witness to all nations.” — (Proof of the Gospel by Eusebius, Book III, ch 7, 136 (a-d), p. 157)

“Who said to them; “Make disciples of all the nations in my Name.” — (Eusebius, Proof of the Gospel, Book III, Chapter 7, 138 (c), p. 159)

In Book III of his History, Chapter 5, Section 2, which is about the Jewish persecution of early Christians, we read, “relying upon the power of Christ, who had said to them, “Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in my name.”

And in his Oration in Praise of Emperor Constantine, Chapter 16, Section 8, we read, “Surely none save our only Savior has done this, when, after his victory over death, he spoke the word to his followers, and fulfilled it by the event, saying to them, “Go ye and make disciples of all nations in my name.”

Eusebius was present at the council of Nicea and was involved in the debates between Arias and the pagan view of Athanasius that became the trinity doctrine. If the manuscripts he had in front of him read “in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” he would never have quoted instead, “in my name.” So it appears that the earliest manuscripts read “in my name,” and the phrase was enlarged to reflect the orthodox position as Trinitarian influence spread.

Below is Matthew 28:19 from the King James Bible.

Matthew 28:19 “Go you therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:”

Trinitarians often claim this verse supports their belief. However, this verse in no way affirms the trinity doctrine which states that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three co-equal, co-eternal beings that make up one God. Nobody denies there is the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. This verse refers to three powers but never says they are one and says nothing about their personality. It does not say they are three beings, it does not say they are three in one or one in three, it does not say these three are the Godhead, it does not say these three are a trinity, it does not say these three are co-equal or co-eternal beings, it does not say that these three are all God, and yet some draw the conclusion that this supports their belief in the trinity which is clearly not so. They are concluding something from this verse that it just does not say.

One might also ask why the apparent disobedience of the Apostles if this verse were genuine as there is not one who obeyed these supposed words of Jesus Christ from Matthew 28:19. Here are all the scriptures relating to baptism in the New Testament. New converts were all baptized into the name of Jesus Christ only.

It is not good to study what others have said. These people are not in the Bible and they are not to be called 'fathers'.

God knows how to preserve His written Word and He has done that.

It does no good to draw suspicion to the Bible.

All false doctrines can be proven false by the scriptures.

God's Truth

Show them again and I'll show you where you go wrong.

1 Corinthians 10:9 We should not test Christ, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes.

Exodus 17:2
Therefore the people quarreled with Moses and said, "Give us water that we may drink." And Moses said to them, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the LORD?"

Psalm 106:14
But craved intensely in the wilderness, And tempted God in the desert.

God's Truth

The second time it was only referenced and not elongated unless clicked on....from my end anyway.

You should read it.

I know you were not saying that to me; however, I do see error in that post.

Here is one error that you posted:

"One might also ask why the apparent disobedience of the Apostles if this verse were genuine as there is not one who obeyed these supposed words of Jesus Christ from Matthew 28:19. Here are all the scriptures relating to baptism in the New Testament. New converts were all baptized into the name of Jesus Christ only."

End.

They were merely baptized into the name of Jesus only means that when they were baptized, God did not yet want to give them the Holy Spirit.

Be careful, pops.

Right Divider

Body part
1 Corinthians 10:9 We should not test Christ, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes.

Exodus 17:2
Therefore the people quarreled with Moses and said, "Give us water that we may drink." And Moses said to them, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the LORD?"

Psalm 106:14
But craved intensely in the wilderness, And tempted God in the desert.
Once again, your illogical mind has you believing something that is not true.

That He is BOTH LORD and CHRIST does NOT make the two terms IDENTICAL.

Even the words LORD and GOD are NOT IDENTICAL.

According to YOUR logic, FATHER and SON are IDENTICAL. Because some people are BOTH.

P.S. The TERMS, LORD and CHRIST are NOT used "interchangeably" in your "example". They are TWO DIFFERENT terms used to describe the SAME PERSON.

popsthebuilder

It is not good to study what others have said. These people are not in the Bible and they are not to be called 'fathers'.

God knows how to preserve His written Word and He has done that.

It does no good to draw suspicion to the Bible.

All false doctrines can be proven false by the scriptures.
Thank you.

I would agree, and do.

popsthebuilder

I know you were not saying that to me; however, I do see error in that post.

Here is one error that you posted:

"One might also ask why the apparent disobedience of the Apostles if this verse were genuine as there is not one who obeyed these supposed words of Jesus Christ from Matthew 28:19. Here are all the scriptures relating to baptism in the New Testament. New converts were all baptized into the name of Jesus Christ only."

End.

They were merely baptized into the name of Jesus only means that when they were baptized, God did not yet want to give them the Holy Spirit.

Be careful, pops.
I only posted it because I found it interesting and thought others might too.

It was not my intention to attempt to discredit the validity of our sacred scripture. Neither was it my intent for people to consider the actual contents of that post to be synonymous with my own understandings.

I only found it worth mention.

Thank you for the reminder.

popsthebuilder

The LORD Jesus Christ is MANY things..... but that does NOT make them all the SAME THING.

It's impossible to communicate with people that are so completely illogical as to think what GT thinks. If we can call that thinking.
Yet it is so very easy for those with eyes that do see, to see that your, and others derogatory inflammatory negativity is both insidious and not of the Spirit of truth or good or light or life.

popsthebuilder

Insults from unbelievers do not bother me a bit.

I also like how you completely IGNORED the post that you replied to.
What insult?

You would have noticed the synonymous nature of the attributes I listed and the fact that those attributes are all of the Spirit and too our Lord GOD, if you weren't clouded by, well, preconception and vanity.

Now you can rightly accuse me of insult.

You are welcome.
However I cannot hide your calling me an unbeliever.

You might ought to justify that one friend.

I would never do such to you, though you, in your hypocrisy call me a pagan and unbeliever.

Right Divider

Body part
What insult?

You would have noticed the synonymous nature of the attributes I listed and the fact that those attributes are all of the Spirit and too our Lord GOD, if you weren't clouded by, well, preconception and vanity.

Now you can rightly accuse me of insult.

You are welcome.
However I cannot hide your calling me an unbeliever.

You might ought to justify that one friend.

I would never do such to you, though you, in your hypocrisy call me a pagan and unbeliever.
It's not hypocrisy to tell the truth.

You deny the deity of the LORD Jesus Christ. That puts you on the outside looking in.