User Tag List

Page 98 of 108 FirstFirst ... 48889596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1616

Thread: For Sincere Inquisitors ONLY: MAD Explained

  1. #1456
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,803
    Thanks
    29,680
    Thanked 22,305 Times in 12,168 Posts

    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    I miss
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    me too!
    Put me down for that one!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to steko For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 21st, 2016)

  3. #1457
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,880
    Thanks
    162,240
    Thanked 47,503 Times in 29,279 Posts

    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148190
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    I miss

    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    me too!

    Quote Originally Posted by steko View Post
    Put me down for that one!
    Me too!

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 21st, 2016)

  5. #1458
    LIFETIME MEMBER Bright Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calfornia
    Posts
    9,278
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,865 Posts

    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147753
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Me too!
    Ditto.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

    Jim Elliot

  6. #1459
    SHAZAM! Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,794
    Thanks
    1,313
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 10,306 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147889
    I miss him too.


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 21st, 2016),Tambora (April 21st, 2016)

  8. #1460
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,880
    Thanks
    162,240
    Thanked 47,503 Times in 29,279 Posts

    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148190
    Acts 17:11 KJV
    (11) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.


    Was this happening before or after Paul preached to Thessalonia (epistles to Thessalonians)?

    The reason I ask is because he states that searching the scriptures is the way to know for certain if what Paul is teaching at the time is true or not.

    Searching the scriptures at that time would have been the OT.
    So, if at this time Paul is already preaching the gospel of the mystery that was hidden in the OT ....... then what would be the point of searching the OT for it?

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 21st, 2016)

  10. #1461
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,803
    Thanks
    29,680
    Thanked 22,305 Times in 12,168 Posts

    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Acts 17:11 KJV
    (11) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.


    Was this happening before or after Paul preached to Thessalonia (epistles to Thessalonians)?

    The reason I ask is because he states that searching the scriptures is the way to know for certain if what Paul is teaching at the time is true or not.

    Searching the scriptures at that time would have been the OT.
    So, if at this time Paul is already preaching the gospel of the mystery that was hidden in the OT ....... then what would be the point of searching the OT for it?
    I was processing this very thing recently and it appears to me that Paul is addressing primarily Jews in their synagogues and demonstrating from the OT scriptures that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah of Israel and that He had to suffer and rise from the dead.

    Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
    Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
    Act 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.


    I have concluded that he taught this same content at Berea.
    It's the same content that Paul preached to the Jews after his conversion:

    Act 9:20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.
    Act 9:22 But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.



    This message is obviously not the comprehensive content expressed in Romans-Philemon concerning the BOC but is in harmony with scriptures for Israel such as:


    Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

    Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.


    Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.


    Acts 13 seems to be the beginning of the new commission:

    Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.


    So at the end of Paul's long presentation to the Jews regarding Israel's history, he says:

    Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.
    Last edited by steko; May 10th, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to steko For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 21st, 2016)

  12. #1462
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,880
    Thanks
    162,240
    Thanked 47,503 Times in 29,279 Posts

    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148190
    Quote Originally Posted by steko View Post
    I was processing this very thing recently and it appears to me that Paul is addressing primarily Jews in their synagogues and demonstrating from the OT scriptures that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah of Israel and that He had to suffer and rise from the dead.

    Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
    Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
    Act 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.


    I have concluded that he taught this same content at Berea.

    This message is obviously not the comprehensive content expressed in Romans-Philemon concerning the BOC.
    Yep. I would tend to agree as it specifically says he was in the synagogue of the Jews .

    But I am still wondering if Paul had already preached in Thessalonia.
    It appears that he did since he says the Bereans were more noble than they.
    So was his epistles to the Thessalonians written before or after this timeframe of Acts 17?


    Trying to get a good grasp of just when Paul left the kingdom gospel behind to teach the grace gospel. (Left behind probably isn't a good term, but you get the gist.)
    By Acts 17, he is still preaching the kingdom gospel.

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  13. #1463
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,803
    Thanks
    29,680
    Thanked 22,305 Times in 12,168 Posts

    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Yep. I would tend to agree as it specifically says he was in the synagogue of the Jews .

    But I am still wondering if Paul had already preached in Thessalonia.
    It appears that he did since he says the Bereans were more noble than they.
    So was his epistles to the Thessalonians written before or after this timeframe of Acts 17?


    Trying to get a good grasp of just when Paul left the kingdom gospel behind to teach the grace gospel. (Left behind probably isn't a good term, but you get the gist.)
    By Acts 17, he is still preaching the kingdom gospel.
    It appears that Paul wrote to the Thessolonians after his visit there and sometime after he got to Corinth.

    Act 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;


    From what I can gather, Gallio was deputy during 51AD - 52AD.

    Act 18:12 And when Gallio was the deputy of Achaia, the Jews made insurrection with one accord against Paul, and brought him to the judgment seat,

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to steko For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 21st, 2016)

  15. #1464
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,894 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Acts 17:11 KJV
    (11) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.


    Was this happening before or after Paul preached to Thessalonia (epistles to Thessalonians)?

    The reason I ask is because he states that searching the scriptures is the way to know for certain if what Paul is teaching at the time is true or not.

    Searching the scriptures at that time would have been the OT.
    So, if at this time Paul is already preaching the gospel of the mystery that was hidden in the OT ....... then what would be the point of searching the OT for it?
    The short answer is two-fold, as I'd like to get more into how to solve for these great questions. The short answer is...

    One: Paul did share the Mystery in Acts 17, as many of the truths in 1 and 2 Thessalonians are not only Mystery truths, but he relates there that he is reminding them he had shared same with them.

    The delay in Daniel's 70th week, the fact of our delivering from the wrath to come, and so on.

    Two: As he relates in Romans 15 and elsewhere, his signs as an Apostle had served as proof his word was from God.

    There are basically two ways to look at all these issues - deductively too soon, or inductively first.

    The order in which those two are applied will determine whether one ends up Acts 2, Acts 9, or Acts 28, for example.

    Said order will also determine the consistency with which one actually applies the Dispensational Hermeneutic that resulted in the re-emergence of Dispensationalism to begin with.

    Its every opponent applies deductive reasoning.

    But, very often, so do many within the Dispensational Hermeneutic, whether they are aware or not that such is the case.

    Their conclusions make it obvious that they have failed to apply the Dispensational Hermeneutic as consistently as they either believe they have, or assert.

    In fact, whenever you find a strong disagreement in understanding, even within Acts 9 brethren, the above is the very heart of said difference, when pride and or the need to glory in the flesh of others, is not also a contributing factor.

    The order those two - induction and deduction - are applied in, is also how it is that some are able to continue to refine to the impressive level of continuing refinement that they have consistently been able to.

  16. #1465
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,803
    Thanks
    29,680
    Thanked 22,305 Times in 12,168 Posts

    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147731
    I have no firm conclusions on the current question.
    I'm merely pulling out of the text what appears to be there.
    I'm remaining open on this.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to steko For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 21st, 2016)

  18. #1466
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,880
    Thanks
    162,240
    Thanked 47,503 Times in 29,279 Posts

    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148190
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    The short answer is two-fold, as I'd like to get more into how to solve for these great questions. The short answer is...

    One: Paul did share the Mystery in Acts 17, as many of the truths in 1 and 2 Thessalonians are not only Mystery truths, but he relates there that he is reminding them he had shared same with them.

    The delay in Daniel's 70th week, the fact of our delivering from the wrath to come, and so on.

    Two: As he relates in Romans 15 and elsewhere, his signs as an Apostle had served as proof his word was from God.

    There are basically two ways to look at all these issues - deductively too soon, or inductively first.

    The order in which those two are applied will determine whether one ends up Acts 2, Acts 9, or Acts 28, for example.

    Said order will also determine the consistency with which one actually applies the Dispensational Hermeneutic that resulted in the re-emergence of Dispensationalism to begin with.

    Its every opponent applies deductive reasoning.

    But, very often, so do many within the Dispensational Hermeneutic, whether they are aware or not that such is the case.

    Their conclusions make it obvious that they have failed to apply the Dispensational Hermeneutic as consistently as they either believe they have, or assert.

    In fact, whenever you find a strong disagreement in understanding, even within Acts 9 brethren, the above is the very heart of said difference, when pride and or the need to glory in the flesh of others, is not also a contributing factor.

    The order those two - induction and deduction - are applied in, is also how it is that some are able to continue to refine to the impressive level of continuing refinement that they have consistently been able to.
    Huh?

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  19. #1467
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,894 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Huh?
    No problem, let me know what through you, and why.

    D

  20. #1468
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147780
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    No problem, let me know what through you, and why.

    D
    threw

  21. #1469
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,880
    Thanks
    162,240
    Thanked 47,503 Times in 29,279 Posts

    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148190
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    No problem, let me know what through you, and why.

    D
    No worries. Steko is helping with my question, and I understand what he says.

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  22. #1470
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147780
    Quote Originally Posted by steko View Post
    Put me down for that one!
    chickenman. birdman -

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us