What's the story behind your username?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have been running a religion Q&A service online since 1994. Before that, it all started as a hobby of mine using the old USENET bulletin board style environments (1980s).

In its heyday the AMR service used to provide all the answers to larger Christian web sites that had Q&A sections. My volunteer staff and I would answer the questions and these sites would post them as their own content. We were paid a reasonable fee for this. Time passed, the world wide web exploded, and the need for this service diminished as these sites began to add their own staff. Today the service still exists, yet primarily only for academics. A researcher, who learns about us by word of mouth as we do not advertise, contracts with the AMR service for customized research about narrow theological topics. We prepare the materials (including any needed translations of ecclesial Latin, German, Hebrew, and Greek) and grant them full exclusive use to the materials as if they were their own. We also still get the occasional simple Q&A from an individual or seminarian, which we answer without any fees, of course.

Given the brand "Ask Mr. Religion" that has been around all these years, I just continue to eponymously use it as my username.

AMR

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was, years ago, on a message board with a lot of atheists. One particularly aggressive one told me that I had no idea how "barbaric" Christianity is. So I said "just call me the barbarian, then."

Everyone (except the bumptious atheist) thought it was funny, and the name stuck.

:chuckle: Awesome answer.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I've always enjoyed creating "Character" names and voice impressions. I've been doing that since my teens. I was inspired to do that since I first heard Bobby "Boris" Pickett's "The Monster Mash" back in 1962. I was twelve at that time. I actually got to meet and talk with him in the 90s at an old Rock and Roll gathering.

Anyway, I digress. I made up the name; "Grosnick Marowbe" about 35 years ago or so. A couple of TOL posters are privy to my real name. I've been known to use different names elsewhere.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I started out on TOL as BLVR (at the time a lost believer), then judging u (all the while frustrating the grace of God) and finally after being saved it was changed to heir. If I were to change it again, I would like it to be fellowheir.
I failed to say why I chose those names. BLVR was at a time when I thought that believing in God was all that was necessary for salvation. It wasn't a big stretch for me, my family had always believed in God (sigh).

judging u was chosen when I was a self appointed fruit inspector only concerned with what man did in the flesh. I had only a perverted good news (which is not good news). I offered no good news that was the power of God to save anyone (sigh again).

I chose heir when I finally heard the gospel of my salvation preached in it's simplicity (Romans 4:25 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:19,21 KJV)and trusted the Lord believing it. I had gone from always a BLVR and frustrating the grace of God to an heir of God (Romans 8:16-17 KJV).

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For starters I am a writer. I have written 8 books and am writing a ninth in a series of scifi-fantasy books. I tend to take the names of one of the characters from the series. My first name on here was Inzl Kett which could be best described as a tree fort/treeant. The name was very distinctive and made it too easy for trolls to follow me around the internet. I opted for the name of the lady admiral from the series--Sherman. There's billions of people that call themselves Sherman on the internet for various reasons.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
For starters I am a writer. I have written 8 books and am writing a ninth in a series of scifi-fantasy books. I tend to take the names of one of the characters from the series. My first name on here was censored which could be best described as censored. The name was very distinctive and made it too easy for trolls to follow me around the internet. I opted for the name of the lady admiral from the series--Sherman. There's billions of people that call themselves Sherman on the internet for various reasons.
If it was a mistake to link your new username with your old one for fear of trolls. :)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it was a mistake to link your new username with your old one for fear of trolls. :)
You missed the point behind the choice of username. Sherman is a very common name. I don't use the name Inzl Kett anyplace anymore. If it is found, it is on very old defunct sites or accounts or someone else who liked the name and decided to copycat it. Since then there have been a few copycats that have adopted the name. Googling it brought up some interesting results. The ones that are me are going to have the tree fort or a fighter jet.

Eagles Wings

I usually go by the username "Sissy" because that's my name.
But when I joined TOL that username was already taken.
So I used the name of a favorite barrel racing horse I used to have - Tambora.
I asked the person I bought the horse from where the name came from, because I had never heard that name before.
He said it a derivative of a musical term that basically meant "Never misses a beat".

Sissy, is so sweet. My sister and I call each other, sis and sissy. I may slip and call you that now and again.

Eagles Wings

For starters I am a writer. I have written 8 books and am writing a ninth in a series of scifi-fantasy books. I tend to take the names of one of the characters from the series. My first name on here was Inzl Kett which could be best described as a tree fort/treeant. The name was very distinctive and made it too easy for trolls to follow me around the internet. I opted for the name of the lady admiral from the series--Sherman. There's billions of people that call themselves Sherman on the internet for various reasons.
Are your books for sale?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
'God' is Light...............

'God' is Light...............

~*~*~

Well, for those metaphysically inclined or spiritually plugged in (ha),...my name is pretty self explanatory, as the larger compound name of 'freelightexpress' just came to me while contemplating a ministerial name or moniker, many years ago. My name has been 'freelight' here since my joining in 2003, and I've held my ground as being one of TOL's more eclectic and perhaps 'eccentric' posters here ;) - those who have been here that long with some correspondence will better know my religious journey and contributions over the years here, while those newer may only have a more limited, partial view or knowledge of who I am, and what I'm about. 'freelight' is a term that denotes a free spirit oriented towards the unfolding and expansion of consciousness. My central aim and motive over the years in my various threads and discussions has recognized 'God' as LIGHT, and the soul's freedom to pursue knowledge, truth, wisdom wherever it may be found. Those new to 'me' can see my profile, blog, signature links, past posts, threads, etc.

Another one of my knicknames elsewhere is 'soulpioneer', - this also describes my spiritual journey and adventures in religion, philosophy, metaphysics and science,....pioneering new frontiers.

View attachment 25950

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
[MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION], I haven't seen you here yet. What's the story behind your username?

Interplanner

I first used my business name Interplan Services as 'aging in place' planning for seniors, after 15 years of running a licensed home for disabled adults and seniors. Rather than change names later, I simply changed the website and services, and it is a sort of 'interchangeable' name. It now fits nicely with helping people who have a feature film story idea plan out how to get it to the attention of agents, through merging with interesting contrasts and developing characters. that's what www.interplans.net does these days. 3 this year so far. I have a national ad at CFDb.