Why the Religious Will Perish with the Unbelievers

jsanford108

Faith alone means just what it says. No laws, no rules, no religion. Now any fool knows that Catholicism is NOT faith alone. You must maintain your salvation. [\QUOTE] I agree. Catholic's do not ascribe to faith alone. I never said we do.

Some Catholics must take the sacraments several times a day or they don't feel saved.[\QUOTE] These Catholics are not steadfast in their faith. They do not trust in Christ, God, nor the Church. If they trusted, they would not perform such actions, nor base knowledge of justification on emotional sway.

In the Gospel we are saved and justified by a one time event. We don't have to maintain our salvation, we rest in what Christ has accomplished for us, Hebrews 4:10. This is why we are justified by faith alone.

Where is your proof for this conclusion?

Hebrews 4:10 is about resting on a Sabbath, not about eternal security. (This is a blatant twisting of Scripture in order to support a doctrine, if you imply faith alone is supported by this verse)

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

nikolai_42

Organized religion is a curse. Look at what it has produced in the last 50 years.

It is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. You will not hear the Gospel preached in the organized church because they don't believe it. It was when organized religion decided to go on TV that it revealed itself for what it was, a sham and a way to extort millions of dollars out of ignorant people that were taken in by it. if you want the truth you will not find it in the organized church.

Something like this?

Benny Hinn is an Assemblies of God minister.

Benny Hinn preaches on tv.

Therefore, organized religion denies the gospel, extorts millions of dollars of ignorant people and is responsible for a lot of evil in the last half century.

Eagles Wings

Some Catholics must take the sacraments several times a day or they don't feel saved.
How would they do this?

Which sacraments are you referring to?

I know many Catholics who may go to daily mass. No one I know goes to mass after mass, or searches and then travels to many churches for mass, in one day.

Sounds like the typical exaggeration and misinformation you spout.

Robert Pate

Banned
Faith alone means just what it says. No laws, no rules, no religion. Now any fool knows that Catholicism is NOT faith alone. You must maintain your salvation. [\QUOTE] I agree. Catholic's do not ascribe to faith alone. I never said we do.

Some Catholics must take the sacraments several times a day or they don't feel saved.[\QUOTE] These Catholics are not steadfast in their faith. They do not trust in Christ, God, nor the Church. If they trusted, they would not perform such actions, nor base knowledge of justification on emotional sway.

Where is your proof for this conclusion?

Hebrews 4:10 is about resting on a Sabbath, not about eternal security. (This is a blatant twisting of Scripture in order to support a doctrine, if you imply faith alone is supported by this verse)

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

There are many scripture that tell us we are justified by faith alone.

"But to him that does no works, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his Faith is counted for righteousness" Romans 4:5.

Hebrews 4:10 is about the believer resting in the work and the person of Jesus Christ.

"For he that has entered into rest. HE ALSO HAS CEASED FROM HIS OWN WORKS, as God did from his, Hebrews 4:10.

Can you cease from your works? Of course not because your salvation is dependent upon them.

Hebrews 4:3 says that if you don't cease from your works and enter into his rest, you are under his wrath.

I have entered into his rest because I am already complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. But you have not entered into his rest because you are trying to be good enough to be saved.

You need to scrap your Catholic religion and trust in Christ alone. If you don't you will find yourself in the "Lord, Lord, didn't we" group in hell, Matthew 7:21-23.

Robert Pate

Banned
How would they do this?

Which sacraments are you referring to?

I know many Catholics who may go to daily mass. No one I know goes to mass after mass, or searches and then travels to many churches for mass, in one day.

Sounds like the typical exaggeration and misinformation you spout.

Some Catholic churches have mass all day. Catholics have to maintain their salvation. Gospel believing Christians like myself believe that salvation is a past historical event that took place over 2,000 years ago.

Nanja

There are many scripture that tell us we are justified by faith alone.

"But to him that does no works, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his Faith is counted for righteousness" Romans 4:5.

Hebrews 4:10 is about the believer resting in the work and the person of Jesus Christ.

"For he that has entered into rest. HE ALSO HAS CEASED FROM HIS OWN WORKS, as God did from his, Hebrews 4:10.

Can you cease from your works? Of course not because your salvation is dependent upon them.

Hebrews 4:3 says that if you don't cease from your works and enter into his rest, you are under his wrath.

I have entered into his rest because I am already complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. But you have not entered into his rest because you are trying to be good enough to be saved.

You need to scrap your Catholic religion and trust in Christ alone. If you don't you will find yourself in the "Lord, Lord, didn't we" group in hell, Matthew 7:21-23.

The only Faith that pleases God is a fruit of the Spirit given in New Birth Gal. 5:22 to all God's Elect!

You are the same as the Catholics, or any other false religion which professes that the works they do, such as believing by their own faith, a work of the mind and of the flesh, can get themselves saved.

Ya'll are in the same sinking boat!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Why do you need a church?

The early church met in each others homes. There was no paid staff. Beware of religion, especially organized religion. Most of the teaching is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. organized religion and the "Historical Gospel" are not compatible.

Fellowship. Why such a problem? :idunno:

Robert Pate

Banned
The only Faith that pleases God is a fruit of the Spirit given in New Birth Gal. 5:22 to all God's Elect!

You are the same as the Catholics, or any other false religion which professes that the works they do, such as believing by their own faith, a work of the mind and of the flesh, can get themselves saved.

Ya'll are in the same sinking boat!

The only faith that pleases God is a faith that is trusting and believing in God's Son Jesus Christ.

You don't have that kind of a faith. You have faith in the words of a heretic.

Robert Pate

Banned
So, how does that prove your ridiculous statement about Catholics attending many masses in one day?

Most don't.

Do you even know what canon law says about daily communion?

Look it up before you spread lies.

Regardless, Catholicism is a works religion. You must, you must, you must and if you don't you are anathema.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus said, "Whosoever that believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

Are you saying that Jesus is a liar?

Those that were saved in the New Testament were saved by hearing and believing the Gospel, Romans 10:17.

An important point is that they must hear it from the Lord Himself and not trust the words of religious men, who proclaim one is saved by praying their words.

LA

Stuu

May I ask for a list of these reasons?
1. Different religious belief systems make contradictory absolute claims. They can't all be right. Probably they are all wrong.

2. If you were to make a list of basic human needs, you might start with oxygen, water, food, warmth, shelter, human companionship, and so forth. Where in that list would you write that you need to know a man was nailed to a tree 2000 years ago because you were born with a need to be fixed, in the opinion of an invisible being? It's not a credible human need.

3. People don't walk again after being executed. People are born of two biological parents. People don't walk on the surface of water without support. The claims of christianity are absurd, and there is no good reason to believe they are true.

4. Prima facie, the god claimed in christianity isn't really there.

5. The quality of knowledge gained from methods used in disciplines like the sciences or history can be shown to be high. The quality of knowledge gained from assertions based on being spoken to by god(s) or from 'revealed' scripture can be shown to be low.

6. If you are interested in explaining anything properly, then special claims about Jesus or gods never increase the quality of the explanation. There is no explanation at all in god claims, and not much more than standard human social interactions / claims of insanity (by C.S.Lewis, for example) when it comes to Jesus.

7. It's just not very interesting. The fact that people believe it is interesting, but the mythology of Jesus is that of just another Mesopotamian man-god belief system, like all others of that kind.

8. There is nothing special about resurrection in scripture. Lots of people came back to life, and of course that is probably a commonplace claim for ignorant ancient goat-herders and fishermen.

9. There is nothing remarkable about the Judeo-christian scriptures. They are historical fiction, and contain nothing that indicates inspiration by any kind of 'all-knowing' mind. There are hand-washing rituals in the Jewish bible, and sometimes those rituals would help with hygiene, but at other times they are pointless. Imagine if Deuteronomy contained a statement like: "You should wash your hands before eating because there are things on your hands too small for you to see that will make you sick'. Wouldn't that be astonishing? Well, there is nothing like that in any part of scripture.

10. The proposition of christianity is immoral. Compulsory love on pain of burning in sulfur. A totalitarian system worse than any of the excesses of communism or Fascism.

That's just 10 of my reasons. I do have more. Thank you for asking.

Also, if you are so big on researching word usage, "Atheist" shows a peak, highest peak, usage in 1801. So, what is your point there?
Well, you raise a fair point, and I am surprised that the Google book search has the usage of the two words about level-pegging throughout the decades.

But I don't feel the need to defend the word atheist. It is an accurate description of the way I live my life, but I don't like to define myself in terms of the religious delusions of others.

The term atheist probably has a lingering bad rap in the US because McCarthyism associated 'atheist' with 'communist'. It seems to me that 'unbeliever' is used more deliberately as a pejorative term by religious enthusiasts.

Stuart

Samie

The term "plugged into Christ" is foreign to the Bible.
Same meaning with NOT "apart from Christ" Who Himself said that apart from Him man can do NOTHING (John 15:5). So while NOT in Him Who is the ONLY Source of power being the power of God (1 Cor 1:24), from whom did you get the power you used to hear the gospel? My guess is from Christ, therefore you were already PLUGGED IN to Him PRIOR to your hearing the Gospel, otherwise you, being powerless to hear, wouldn't have heard it.

All that is required to be saved is to hear and believe the Gospel, Romans 10:17.
That verse does not say what you say it says:

KJV Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

because what you are saying is salvation by works (by hearing & believing), while scripture says we are saved by grace:

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

Robert Pate

Banned
Same meaning with NOT "apart from Christ" Who Himself said that apart from Him man can do NOTHING (John 15:5). So while NOT in Him Who is the ONLY Source of power being the power of God (1 Cor 1:24), from whom did you get the power you used to hear the gospel? My guess is from Christ, therefore you were already PLUGGED IN to Him PRIOR to your hearing the Gospel, otherwise you, being powerless to hear, wouldn't have heard it.

That verse does not say what you say it says:

KJV Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

because what you are saying is salvation by works (by hearing & believing), while scripture says we are saved by grace:

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

Hearing and believing are not works that save or justify. Jesus is the savior we are saved by his works.

No one will be saved that does not hear and believe the Gospel. On the day of Pentecost over 8,000 Jews heard and believed Peter's Gospel and were saved, Acts 2:41 also Acts 4:4. Some of those Jews had participated in the crucifixion of Christ, Acts 2:36.