What the MSM won't ever tell you about Putin

Danoh

The Real Culprit Behind North Korea’s Missile Threat May Be Vladimir Putin...

Ties between Moscow and Pyongyang go back to the earliest days of the Cold War. Soviet T-34’s spearheaded Kim’s grandfather’s invasion of South Korea in 1950.

Yet while the international concern about North Korea’s missile and nuclear programs have led almost every other country to distance themselves from the Pyongyang regime, Moscow has discreetly increased its ties.

Russian imports are an important support for the North Korean economy; in 2014 Putin canceled 90 percent of the DPRK’s $11 billion debt to Russia; and when China halted its energy exports to North Korea, Putin stepped into the gap...

For the balance of this report on the this latest false idol of many on the so called "Right" - click on the link below...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/451476/th-korea-vladimir-putin-behind-missile-threat

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
..... Yet if we were to use*traditional*measures for understanding leaders, which involve the defense of borders and national flourishing, Putin would count as the pre-eminent statesman of our time. On the world stage, who can vie with him? Only perhaps Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey.

When Putin took power in the winter of 1999-2000, his country was defenseless. It was bankrupt. It was being carved up by its new kleptocratic elites, in collusion with its old imperial rivals, the Americans. Putin changed that. In the first decade of this century, he did what Kemal Atatürk had done in Turkey in the 1920s. Out of a crumbling empire, he rescued a nation-state, and gave it coherence and purpose. He disciplined his country’s plutocrats. He restored its military strength. And he refused, with ever blunter rhetoric, to accept for Russia a subservient role in an American-run world system drawn up by foreign politicians and business leaders. His voters credit him with having saved his country.
- defenceless

- bankrupt

- rescued a nation-state

- gave it coherence and purpose

- disciplined his country’s plutocrats

- restored its military strength

- refused, with ever blunter rhetoric, to accept ... a subservient role

- voters credit him with having saved his country

This could also be used to describe the actions of Adolf Hitler, until he started invading other countries - in his case Austria and Poland, in Putin's case parts of Ukraine!

Danoh

- defenceless

- bankrupt

- rescued a nation-state

This could also be used to describe the actions of Adolf Hitler, until he started invading other countries - in his case Austria and Poland, in Putin's case parts of Ukraine!

Yep, my own thought was similar to yours there, while reading their one-sided affair :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One conclusion that can be drawn is that Russia is acting out of self preservation.
I probably wouldn't put it that way. I think it's more about Putin not bowing to the US and other Western globalists. And to some extent that's fine. But why does that have to come with authoritarianism? I get this:
In the same way, Putin’s conduct is bound to win sympathy even from some of Russia’s enemies, the ones who feel the international system is not delivering for them. Generally, if you like that system, you will consider Vladimir Putin a menace. If you don’t like it, you will have some sympathy for him. Putin has become a symbol of national sovereignty in its battle with globalism. That turns out to be the big battle of our times. As our last election shows, that’s true even here.

But let's not romanticize Putin or make him a hero.

rexlunae

All of the virtues mentioned were said of Hitler as well. And the downsides were similar. Loss of freedom, suppression of dissent, murder committed on a broad scale. Although, I'm not sure Hitler ever had people assassinated in foreign capitals.

I don't think you have to be a progressive or a liberal to hate leaders who rule by fear and violence. I can see the desire to elide some of these details by people who find it ideologically convenient, but I don't want to see those practices imported, and most Americans don't.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
All of the virtues mentioned were said of Hitler as well. And the downsides were similar. Loss of freedom, suppression of dissent, murder committed on a broad scale. Although, I'm not sure Hitler ever had people assassinated in foreign capitals.

I don't think you have to be a progressive or a liberal to hate leaders who rule by fear and violence. I can see the desire to elide some of these details by people who find it ideologically convenient, but I don't want to see those practices imported, and most Americans don't.

I'm glad to see you're so deeply troubled by this.. it's such a joy and a privilege to read the anguish behind your type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexlunae

I'm glad to see you're so deeply troubled by this.. it's such a joy and a privilege to read the anguish behind your type.

If racists like you aren't my enemy, I'm doing something wrong. But you're wrong about the anguish. Determination, motivation, but not anguish.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
If racists like you aren't my enemy, I'm doing something wrong. But you're wrong about the anguish. Determination, motivation, but not anguish.

Yes I know. I'm enjoying. The phases of your denial. From determination to motivation to hope, to swag to quietness then ending in shame and denial. Beautiful

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
- defenceless

- bankrupt

- rescued a nation-state

When Trump starts invading countries then you can talk, simpleton.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, I wouldn't go that far. I think Putin is more like Hitler at the moment than Trump is. Trump is more like Döme Sztójay.

But these are just crude comparisons based on a few similarities.

You are being generous. The only thing that keeps Trump from being just like Putin (or even Hitler) is our Constitution and government. However, he is working vigorously on overturning our freedoms. One only has to look at his attempt at voter suppression (labeled Voter Integrity Commission) to see a mini dictator in the making.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But let's not romanticize Putin or make him a hero.

One thing that Mitt Romney was correct about is the fact that Russia is currently our greatest geopolitical threat. Putin is nothing more than a thug whose main goal is to permanently weaken and tear down the United States and all other countries.

ClimateSanity

- defenceless

- bankrupt

- rescued a nation-state

He has shown no intentions of invading any country. Hitler made his intentions loud and clear. Every Soviet leader sought to expand their territory. Russia is not the soviet union.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The salient fact about Putin is that he is a Slavophile. Slavophilism is a cultural movement that is centuries old, contrasting Russia with the rest of the world. There has been a continuous struggle in Russia between those who would bring Russia into the West, and those who would keep Russia insulated from the rest of Europe.

One key element of Russian Slavophilism is "the gathering of Russia." It means essentially the same thing that "manifest destiny" meant to Americans in the 1800s. To Putin the collapse of the Soviet empire was a great disaster,since it undid so much of Russian imperialism.

His goal, ever since he gained power, has been to restore the gathering. He has done this, even at enormous cost to Russia; Crimea has become a money pit for him, a cost Russia is not prepared to pay. He is interfering in Ukraine because in his view, Ukraine is Russia. Likewise, the Baltic states, Poland, Germany, and the Czech and Slovak republics.

If he judges it possible, he will try to retake them regardless of the cost to the Russian people.

If you don't factor this ancient ideology into your understanding of Putin, you will have learned nothing worth knowing about him.

rexlunae

The salient fact about Putin is that he is a Slavophile. Slavophilism is a cultural movement that is centuries old, contrasting Russia with the rest of the world. There has been a continuous struggle in Russia between those who would bring Russia into the West, and those who would keep Russia insulated from the rest of Europe.

One key element of Russian Slavophilism is "the gathering of Russia." It means essentially the same thing that "manifest destiny" meant to Americans in the 1800s. To Putin the collapse of the Soviet empire was a great disaster,since it undid so much of Russian imperialism.

His goal, ever since he gained power, has been to restore the gathering. He has done this, even at enormous cost to Russia; Crimea has become a money pit for him, a cost Russia is not prepared to pay. He is interfering in Ukraine because in his view, Ukraine is Russia. Likewise, the Baltic states, Poland, Germany, and the Czech and Slovak republics.

If he judges it possible, he will try to retake them regardless of the cost to the Russian people.

If you don't factor this ancient ideology into your understanding of Putin, you will have learned nothing worth knowing about him.

Just as Putin sees himself as uniting the Slavs, Hitler saw himself as uniting the Germans. That was his rationale for invading Czechoslovakia. That is the nature of nationalism. It looks largely the same in any century or place.

What's bizarre is seeing someone try it in America, where there is no single nation, in that ethnic sense, that can claim to be dominant. You have to sweep up all the white people to make it even remotely workable.
https://carolynyeager.net/adolf-hitlers-sept-26-1938-speech-czechoslovakia-sportpalast-berlin

rexlunae

The Left also has it's share of Putin hoodwinked fools...

Just as the fool presently in our White House is obviously being played by Putin...

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/9/8/16276122/north-korea-putin-trump-comments

Putin has a good point. North Korea seeing in America a nation willing and able to remake countries as it sees fit. And it is entirely rational for them to maximize the disincentive against that course of action. Of course, he's also one of KJU's key enablers.