Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

2003cobra

“Scripture,” the translation of the Koine Greek word graphs, simply means writings. At the time the NT books were written, it referred to secular and religious documents.

Jesus quoted scripture not found in modern bibles.

2003cobra

“Scripture,” the translation of the Koine Greek word graphs, simply means writings. At the time the NT books were written, it referred to secular and religious documents.

Graphe — Apple spell check is far too helpful.

jsanford108

Jacob, why do you have 3+ threads, started around the same time, asking the same questions (the books of the Bible)?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Jacob, why do you have 3+ threads, started around the same time, asking the same questions (the books of the Bible)?

Shalom.

Different related questions.

Shalom.

Jacob

jaybird

Jacob are you asking what is considered scripture by different churches? or are you asking what makes a writing considered scripture?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
scriptures to me are any writings about spirituality. words like "official" and "canon" have nothing to do with it.
Shalom.

Do you accept the Torah as Scripture? The TaNaK? The Hebrew or Jewish Bible? Matthew through Revelation?

The Apostle Paul wrote that All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching,

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

What did he mean by all Scripture? What did Paul consider to be Scripture?

Shalom.

Jacob

Judson50

Scripture is anything that is θεόπνευστος
Or “God Breathed” or “breathed out by God”.

When Paul wrote the word “scripture” in 2 Tim 3:16 he was referring directly to the Old Testament (TaNaKh).

God's Truth

When Paul wrote the word “scripture” in 2 Tim 3:16 he was referring directly to the Old Testament (TaNaKh).

In 1 Timothy 5:18 Paul joins a New Testament scripture (Luke 10:7) to an Old Testament scripture (Deuteronomy 25:4) and calls them both scripture. In addition, we can see in 2 Peter 3:15-16 Peter recognizes what Paul writes as scripture.

2003cobra

So what are you saying?

I am saying that people in modern churches see the word “Scripture” and immediately think “Bible,” and that is inconsistent with what Scripture (graphe) meant in the first century.

I hope that clarifies.

The ubiquitous mistranslation of 1 Timothy 3 contributes to this. A better translation is “Every Scripture inspired by God is profitable...” It is the same form in Greek as “every good tree bears...” (which was not mistranslated “every tree is good and bears...”

2003cobra

Yes, Paul (or whoever wrote 1 Timothy) was referring to the sacred writings Timothy had known from his youth, which would have been what we call the Old Testament.

I note that defining a compound word by its roots can lead to misunderstandings and errors, and that is why the compound Koine Greek word is often translated “inspired.”

We don’t declare “understand” to mean “assume an erect posture below,” and we don’t declare a butterfly is a fly made of butter.

Are you aware that early church writers considered many writings outside the canon inspired?

2003cobra

In 1 Timothy 5:18 Paul joins a New Testament scripture (Luke 10:7) to an Old Testament scripture (Deuteronomy 25:4) and calls them both scripture. In addition, we can see in 2 Peter 3:15-16 Peter recognizes what Paul writes as scripture.

They are both scripture, which means writings.

In John 7, Jesus quotes scripture that is not found in the Bible:As the scripture has said, "Out of the believer's heart (belly) shall flow rivers of living water.' "

Here Jesus quotes scripture not in the canon.

Hawkins

They are both scripture, which means writings.

In John 7, Jesus quotes scripture that is not found in the Bible:As the scripture has said, "Out of the believer's heart (belly) shall flow rivers of living water.' "

Here Jesus quotes scripture not in the canon.

No, it's more like to say that,

"The Bible says that you shouldn't put the Lord's name in mouth only". Jesus is talking the how the water coming from rocks. It's rather a summary of several verses, and could possibly expressed in Greek in that scenario.

"The Bible says" or "The Scripture says" isn't necessarily a direct quote but can be an explanation or summary or interpretation depending on situations. Especially under the circumstance that Greek is used to do so with the original verses in Hebrew.

Reactions: Lon