Are people born in Christ or born in sin?

Samie

Newborns and all others can do nothing to save themselves.

Salvation is only by God's grace, not by our good works.
You believe newborns are born not saved, hence, they were born apart from Christ. So, when did you get saved, being apart from Christ at birth, jamie?

Samie

Salvation comes by hearing and believing the Gospel, Romans 10:13.
You believe you were born not saved, hence born apart from Christ Who said man can do NOTHING while NOT in Him (John 15:5). So while yet apart from Christ, how were you able to do the acts of hearing and believing, Robert?

Samie

...You don't think you were naturally born as a babe into this physical world already "in Messiah" do you?
Yes, I believe people are born in Christ.
If so then why would there be any need to be "born anew", "reborn", or "born from above"?
People were born anew or reborn through the resurrection of Christ:

NAS 1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead

Through Christ, God fashioned us into the Body of His Son on the cross where He created a new man - Christ the Head, Humanity (Jews & Gentiles) the Body (see Eph 2:11-19). When the Head died, the Body died (2 Cor 5:14,15), and by that death, we were freed and washed clean from sin (Rom 6:7; Rev 1:5) with all sins forgiven (Col 2:13; Eph 1:7) and reconciled to God (Rom 5:10). When the Head was resurrected, we were made alive TOGETHER WITH Him (Eph 2:4-6), born again into a living hope of life eternal (1 Pet 1:3; Titus 1:2; 3:7).

Now that we are In Christ Who is our Life (Col 3:4) and Strength (Phil 4:13), we have His Power to overcome evil with good (Rom 12:21). Overcomers will Christ NOT blot out from the Book of Life (Rev 3:5) and will be seated with Him on His throne even as He also overcame and sat down with the Father on His throne (Rev 3:21).

When Christ comes again to reward every man according to what each has done (Matt 16:27; Rev 22:12), all NOT blotted out from the Book of Life will be allowed entry into the heavenly portals (Rev 21:27). All blotted out will have their portion in the lake of fire (Rev 20:15).

jsanford108

To start with, what, to you, does the Bible tell us in these verses:

KJV Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

KJV Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Can we then say "conceived in sin but sanctified before birth"?

Can anyone show one or two Bible verses to warrant the belief that people are born in sin?

I would say we are born in original sin, as a result of the Fall. Meaning that as men, we will naturally be drawn to sin. However, I do believe that before the age of reason, a child is innocent, due to not knowing the gravity of sin. Once the ability to reason, thus, to know the gravity of sin, that is when innocence is replaced with responsibility of decision.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Samie

I would say we are born in original sin, as a result of the Fall. Meaning that as men, we will naturally be drawn to sin. However, I do believe that before the age of reason, a child is innocent, due to not knowing the gravity of sin. Once the ability to reason, thus, to know the gravity of sin, that is when innocence is replaced with responsibility of decision.
Thank you for your response. Can you please refer me to a verse or two that people are born in sin?

Christ Himself, in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin and lost son, taught that people start out in life NOT lost. see Luke 15:1-24.

Before the sheep got lost, it was with its shepherd in the sheepfold.
Before the coin was lost, it was with its owner.
Before the son went lost, he was at home with his father.

So with us. We start out in life NOT lost. And to be NOT lost is to be In Christ. But we all sinned. That's why are enjoined to repent (Luke 13:3, 5).

The command to repent is the same command God made in the old testament (Ezek 18:30); the same command God now wants all men everywhere to do (Acts 17:30); the same command Jesus made in the gospel that He preached (Mark 1:14, 15): the same gospel He wanted preached to the world before He comes again (Matt 24:14).

Repentance is the Greek metanoia - change of mind for that which is good. Faced with the opportunity and about to do evil, one changes his mind and does good instead. IOW, it is overcoming evil with good (Rom 12:21). Overcomers will Christ NOT blot out from the book of life and will be seated with Him on His throne even as He also overcame and sat down with the Father on His throne (Rev 3:5, 21).

daqq

Yes, I believe people are born in Christ.
People were born anew or reborn through the resurrection of Christ:

NAS 1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead

Your own very first scripture quote says, "BORN AGAIN", (not simply "BORN"). Were you therefore a member of the "Body of Moses"? The Tanach "Old Testament" saints were members of "the Body of Moses" just as the NT saints are members of "the Body of Messiah", (and the Tanach Body of Moses was folded into the Body of Messiah in Matthew 27:51,52,53).

Moreover the Greek word from your first quote, for "born again", is actually "to beget again", (G313 αναγενναω), and means something like "a new-renewed birth", (akin to regeneration, which comes only by the washing of the living water IN the Word). No one is "begotten again" at physical child birth unless you believe in reincarnation.

Samie

Moreover the Greek word from your first quote, for "born again", is actually "to beget again", (G313 αναγενναω), and means something like "a new-renewed birth", (akin to regeneration, which comes only by the washing of the living water IN the Word). No one is "begotten again" at physical child birth unless you believe in reincarnation.
No, I don't believe in reincarnation. But "born again", yes, that's what the verse says:

Noticed that? Born again, how? Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ! The new birth comes not because people decided to be born again, but because Jesus rose from the grave. And that applies to all - by grace. You and I have been born again because Jesus was resurrected.

As indicated in my previous posts, we all were fashioned into the body of Christ on the cross. We died when He died, and when He resurrected we were made alive together with Him. To be "made alive together with" is from one single Greek word - suzoopoieo. That's how the Bible describes people are "born again".

daqq

No, I don't believe in reincarnation. But "born again", yes, that's what the verse says:

Noticed that? Born again, how? Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ! The new birth comes not because people decided to be born again, but because Jesus rose from the grave. And that applies to all - by grace. You and I have been born again because Jesus was resurrected.

As indicated in my previous posts, we all were fashioned into the body of Christ on the cross. We died when He died, and when He resurrected we were made alive together with Him. To be "made alive together with" is from one single Greek word - suzoopoieo. That's how the Bible describes people are "born again".

You were not yet alive when he died. And aside from all that you are ignoring a rather large portion of scripture so as to come to your conclusions. I see that it is not worth arguing because I see that you are dead-set in your conclusions regardless of what the scripture actually teaches. So I suppose I will leave you to your thread. :)

Samie

You were not yet alive when he died.
Paul was yet Saul, an enemy, when Jesus was crucified. Yet he said he was crucified with Christ. How so? Because Jesus died for all. see 2 Cor 5:14, 15; Heb 2:9.

And aside from all that you are ignoring a rather large portion of scripture so as to come to your conclusions.
Disagree. You haven't even shown any Scripture that contradicts my position.

I see that it is not worth arguing because I see that you are dead-set in your conclusions regardless of what the scripture actually teaches.
My conclusions agree with Scriptures especially with what Christ Himself said that apart from Him man can do NOTHING! You teach that while apart from Christ, man can do SOMETHING - he can believe. So, who disagrees with what Scriptures teach?

So I suppose I will leave you to your thread. :)
I can't force you to accept the truth.

jsanford108

Thank you for your response. Can you please refer me to a verse or two that people are born in sin?

Christ Himself, in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin and lost son, taught that people start out in life NOT lost. see Luke 15:1-24.

Before the sheep got lost, it was with its shepherd in the sheepfold.
Before the coin was lost, it was with its owner.
Before the son went lost, he was at home with his father.

So with us. We start out in life NOT lost. And to be NOT lost is to be In Christ. But we all sinned. That's why are enjoined to repent (Luke 13:3, 5).

The command to repent is the same command God made in the old testament (Ezek 18:30); the same command God now wants all men everywhere to do (Acts 17:30); the same command Jesus made in the gospel that He preached (Mark 1:14, 15): the same gospel He wanted preached to the world before He comes again (Matt 24:14).

Repentance is the Greek metanoia - change of mind for that which is good. Faced with the opportunity and about to do evil, one changes his mind and does good instead. IOW, it is overcoming evil with good (Rom 12:21). Overcomers will Christ NOT blot out from the book of life and will be seated with Him on His throne even as He also overcame and sat down with the Father on His throne (Rev 3:5, 21).

Rather than provide such a list, here is a link to a quick google search result.
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Being-Born-In-Sin

iamaberean

Can we then say "conceived in sin but sanctified before birth"?

Can anyone show one or two Bible verses to warrant the belief that people are born in sin?
1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

jsanford108

That figures, but the thread was about: "Are people born in Christ or born in sin?"

My answer to the question is that neither is true.

Newborns are not born in Christ nor are they born in sin.

So your argument is that people are not born into sin? Which is a position that goes against Scripture.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL