ECT Question for MADs re: disputes, debates, foolish questions, etc

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Long long ago, when I was first MAD, a "discussion" broke out at some other board. An old pentecostal finally got mad and said "YOU CAN'T TAKE MY BAPTISM AWAY FROM ME!" We were in fact talking about water baptism, too. What's that tell you about how he really viewed it?

He ain't the only one, not by a long shot.
Catholics take baptism pretty serious too

Interplanner

Has anyone ever suggested that your record player is stuck and skipping on "stupid"?

giphy.gif

You actually think showing a cartoon is a theological answer?

Show me something stupid; I'll blow you out of the water.

Danoh

Wonder how preterists generally view water baptism.

They're divided on it - some 70Adists (which is what Preterists and Partial Preterists basically are) hold that it ended with 70AD; some hold it continued.

Reminds me of something I have often noticed and reflected on, over the years - take all the various views out there on all sorts of doctrinal subjects; whittle away at each objectively, and one cannot but end up at Mid-Acts.

I continue to find that fascinating...

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11, 12.

Interplanner

Their response to the whole bible is .... "Done deal, all fulfilled, no more to be done".

The 2nd coming is to be done; unblock your ears and take memory therapy supplements. /It is the final judgement of the whole world, Acts 17, Heb 9 and there is nothing Judaistic involved and the NHNE follows right after, Rev 20, which is not the same corporeality that we have today. But it still creates the kind of world the prophets were shown to be coming.

Danoh

The 2nd coming is to be done; unblock your ears and take memory therapy supplements. /It is the final judgement of the whole world, Acts 17, Heb 9 and there is nothing Judaistic involved and the NHNE follows right after, Rev 20, which is not the same corporeality that we have today. But it still creates the kind of world the prophets were shown to be coming.

Yep; you're defending your version of Partial Preterism - your "Matthew 24B" ism :chuckle:

musterion

They're divided on it - some 70Adists (which is what Preterists and Partial Preterists basically are) hold that it ended with 70AD; some hold it continued.

Reminds me of something I have often noticed and reflected on, over the years - take all the various views out there on all sorts of doctrinal subjects; whittle away at each objectively, and one cannot but end up at Mid-Acts.

I continue to find that fascinating...

Acts 17:11, 12.

Pardon my skeptictude but let's see that math with Roman Catholicism.

Danoh

Pardon my skeptictude but let's see that math with Roman Catholicism.

Take this how you will...

Or take it in light of how Romans 5 asserts you can...In Him.

Your posts often leave me with the impression that you are more familiar with various Dispensational writings and such, than you are at being well-versed in asking discerning the things that differ types of questions beyond some sort of an as yet newbie level.

You also showed that is the case in your response to my post about Bullinger's (version of Stam's) "this is that, but what is this?"

You too often jump the gun, in contrast to simply asking first, and long and hard- 'could this poster (and or writer, and or passage of Scripture) be referring to some other distinction - one that perhaps differs in some way from the one I have in mind?'

Very well :chuckle:

We agree with Millennialists that there will be a huge conversion of Jews in the end times and we agree with Replacement Theology proponents when they say that the new Israel after the resurrection of Christ, is the Church, not modern day Israel. However, that is not the whole story about Israel.

http://catholicbridge.com/catholic/replacement_theology.php

As I noted "whittle away at each (in this case, their aspect of that) objectively, and one cannot but end up at Mid-Acts.

Or as the Apostle Paul had put it of a truth from an otherwise, normally a source of error - "this witness is true."

On the other side of this equation, I myself was reminded just a few weeks back by someone in Mid-Acts that I was asking about a thing I should have been familiar with by now.

I conceded their point.

Because neither of us is the issue - Christ alone...is.

And no, I am not asking you to do likewise here. I am simply relating I also have my moments where I find myself oblivious to one thing or another I should be clear on by now.

Or as the writer of Hebrews put it...

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Acts 17:11,12

Interplanner

It sure is!
It will be done as prophesized, by the risen Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ returning to restore Israel (as promised), and to sit on the earthly throne of David (as promised), in the same land they were dispersed from (as promised).

No there are no Judaistic features to the 2nd coming when preached in the NT. Those kinds of things are fulfilled in Christ, through Christ and his mission. For ex., the nations coming to your glory. It's not about Israel. It meant the Servant, who is Christ.

What the NT does confirm is the worldwide judgement of all mankind at the 2nd coming, the punishment of unbelief and the bliss of those who believe in a NHNE that does not have the same kind of corporeality as today; for ex., the Lamb IS the temple.

Interplanner

The preterism that the counter Reformation papists taught was about 414 AD. it has long since been disregarded. the author was Alcazar. Ribera, who wrote the treatise on the future apocalypse with the Jewish AC and in Jerusalem, and the rebuilt temple functioning and misleading people. The point of both was to depict an AC that was not the Pope as the Reformers universally declared. To save his face, to save the institution.

I don't know about the history of the kind that says everything was in AD 70, but certainly Luke 21 was abot 70 AD, locked in by ch 23's babies who become adults when those things happen. Mt 24 and Mk 13 are about 70 AD until saying that after all the destruction in Judea with the false christs ruining the nation, the world judgement was supposed to happen but was allowed to be delayed.

No one here at TOL seems to have the mental ability to plot out would a delay would do, or look like, or resolve things. that's not my problem.

At an airport, a posting says a plane is supposed to take off at 4 but then a later posting says it was delayed. That means after 4. It may mean a long time because the plane was the scene of a crime and no other equipment was available. You have no problem grasping that, but 'delay' about the 2nd coming has you in a fit.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
...the world judgement was supposed to happen but was allowed to be delayed....

No one here at TOL seems to have the mental ability to plot out would a delay would do, or look like, or resolve things. that's not my problem.

At an airport, a posting says a plane is supposed to take off at 4 but then a later posting says it was delayed. That means after 4. It may mean a long time because the plane was the scene of a crime and no other equipment was available. You have no problem grasping that, but 'delay' about the 2nd coming has you in a fit.

Genesis 3 KJV
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

How many years, from the promise of the redeemer, and His arrival?

The LORD God missed "the mission," being a "delayer," and all....

2 Peter 3 KJV

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Teach us, scoffer....Please?

SaulToPaul 2

Genesis 3 KJV
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

How many years, from the promise of the redeemer, and His arrival?

The LORD God missed "the mission," being a "delayer," and all....

2 Peter 3 KJV

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Teach us, scoffer....Please?

Conveniently, he has 90% of his challengers on ignore.

Interplanner

tam thinks:
It sure is!
It will be done as prophesized, by the risen Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ returning to restore Israel (as promised), and to sit on the earthly throne of David (as promised), in the same land they were dispersed from (as promised).

It won't be like that because Acts 2:30-31 says David saw Christ being enthroned on his (Davids) throne. It is accomplished. David's raised ruins are the incoming of the Gentiles, says Acts 15 quoting Amos 9.