"Death by Exercise"

musterion

Guy goes out for a run. It's just a 4-miler--nothing, really, to a seasoned marathoner who usually runs 10 miles a day, 7 days a week. Nobody knows why he stops 40 or 50 yards short of his front door--maybe he's checking his pulse, maybe he's tying a shoe--but everybody knows what happens next to Jim Fixx, the 52-year-old patron saint of running: He dies.

You've heard that story. But you may not know about Edmund Burke, Ph.D., who was to serious endurance cycling what Fixx was to running. He died on a training ride last fall, at age 53.

And you almost certainly haven't heard of Frederick Montz, David Nagey, or Jeffrey Williams, three brilliant physicians at Johns Hopkins University who died while running. The oldest of the three was 51.

You'd think that exercise icons should live to be 100. And yet, every year, a few of them go permanently offline at half that age.

Two questions arise. The first is obvious: Why do the hearts of such highly conditioned men fail during exercise designed to make their hearts stronger? The second is so radical it borders on treason against the health and fitness cause: Is there something wrong with the entire notion of endurance exercise as a healthy, life-extending activity?

I've been skeptical about the benefits of aerobic exercise for years. But the answers surprised even me. Pull up a chair--you'll want to be sitting down when you read this.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/death-by-exercise

My dad, a retired R.N., knew an old doc who warned people away from too much exercise; said the heart has only so many beats in it and frequent exercise uses them up faster than they'd otherwise be used. Dunno about that but stories like these make me wonder.

musterion

I know several women (more than men, in fact) with that little marathon mileage sticker on the back of their cars. They take long weekends go do marathons. Hey, whatever, but some of them are my age or close to it; some of them are...how to put this...not svelte.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My dad, a retired R.N., knew an old doc who warned people away from too much exercise; said the heart has only so many beats in it and frequent exercise uses them up faster than they'd otherwise be used.

The counter point is that when resting, the one with 61 bpm, has far fewer the other 22 hours a day over the 80 bpm. The math states that is about 9,000,000 beats per year less. Does the increase in work outs make up the difference?

Of course 80 bpm is being generous for those that never exercise. People over 50 might not be that low. It could easily be 85 pm.

musterion

The counter point is that when resting, the one with 61 bpm, has far fewer the other 22 hours a day over the 80 bpm. The math states that is about 9,000,000 beats per year less. Does the increase in work outs make up the difference?

Dunno. If it isn't under exertion, would the extra beats count as work?

Danoh

http://www.menshealth.com/health/death-by-exercise

My dad, a retired R.N., knew an old doc who warned people away from too much exercise; said the heart has only so many beats in it and frequent exercise uses them up faster than they'd otherwise be used. Dunno about that but stories like these make me wonder.

lol - geez, Musti, for a right divider, you sure often fail to practice it where the things that differ within one thing or another in other areas of life in general is concerned :chuckle:

Jim Fixx had been huge on the Running, but very poor on the need for proper diet.

The result?

Dr. Eleanor N. McQuillen, Vermont's chief medical examiner who performed an autopsy on Mr. Fixx, said in an interview that all three of his coronary arteries were damaged by arteriosclerosis, the underlying cause of heart attacks.

Mr. Fixx's left circumflex coronary artery was almost totally blocked; only trickles of blood could flow through the pinholes that were left of the inside of that artery. About 80 percent of the blood flow in the right coronary artery was blocked. The chief nourishment to Mr. Fixx's heart came from blood flowing through the third artery, the left anterior descending, which was less severely affected. Nevertheless, half that artery was blocked in places.

There was additional arteriosclerotic damage to a portion of Mr. Fixx's aorta and the arteries in his legs, but no blockage. The disease spared the arteries that fed his brain.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/24/s...e-enigma-of-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all

Plain old Heart Disease, bro.

The result of genetic predisposition made worse by life-long physical and dietary neglect, his later exercise alone would not have done that the good he had so vehemently insisted Running alone would.

In fact, a rightly divided diet is much more important than the exercise.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

And 2 Tim. 2:15 :D

musterion

Wow, I guess I'm a failure as a right divider for not looking up Jim Fixx's autopsy report because of a throwaway link I posted just for conversation. I have failed the One Holy Church of WWDD? I will turn in my WWDD? rubber bracelet, keychain, bumper sticker, Bible cover and dog sweater because, darn it, I'm just not worthy.

Danoh

Wow, I guess I'm a failure as a right divider for not looking up Jim Fixx's autopsy report because of a throwaway link I posted just for conversation. I have failed the One Holy Church of WWDD? I will turn in my WWDD? rubber bracelet, keychain, bumper sticker, Bible cover and dog sweater because, darn it, I'm just not worthy.

lol

Ya missed my point - "what would Dispensationalism do" - rightly divide - but lol, nonetheless :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow, I guess I'm a failure as a right divider for not looking up Jim Fixx's autopsy
Of course.
And we all know that it is impossible for autopsy reports to have ever been coerced or altered.