Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gee, Ate all the Aid

Tuesday July 5th, 2005. This is show # 132.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
The question is can America afford to give more [aid to Africa]? Of course we could but can Africans afford to receive it? And the answer is no they can't. It's destroying people.

Holly

Jefferson said:
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Here' s an even better quote:
"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:34-40)

:wave:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Holly: Nowhere in your quote is there anything about the funds for the poor being raised via confiscatory taxes at the point of a gun. Jesus is talking about voluntary aid.

Holly

Jefferson said:
Holly: Nowhere in your quote is there anything about the funds for the poor being raised via confiscatory taxes at the point of a gun. Jesus is talking about voluntary aid.

No, it's not in that particular quote; Jesus had already addressed it: [Mat 22:18-21] But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye Me, ye hypocrites? Shew Me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And He saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto Him, Caesars. Then saith He unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesars, and unto God the things that are Gods.
As to your point about voluntary aid, if we were living up to Jesus' mandate to sell all we own, give it to the poor, and follow Him, this would be moot.

Sir Cast-a-Lot

Holly said:
No, it's not in that particular quote; Jesus had already addressed it: [Mat 22:18-21] But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye Me, ye hypocrites? Shew Me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And He saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto Him, Caesars. Then saith He unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesars, and unto God the things that are Gods.
As to your point about voluntary aid, if we were living up to Jesus' mandate to sell all we own, give it to the poor, and follow Him, this would be moot.

are you saying for us to sell everything we own?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Holly said:
I am only quoting Jesus. You will have to take your questions to Him.

Then why did you bring it up?

Do you think Jesus was for high taxes, like 50% of our gross income?

Also, would Jesus be for helping people in need, or would He be more for welfare?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Holly

Here's the quote, from the tenth chapter of the Gospel of Mark. Spin it any way you want. I certainly have not lived up to it in my life, but I don't try to pretend Jesus didn't mean what He said:

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. 23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Sir Cast-a-Lot

Holly said:
Here's the quote, from the tenth chapter of the Gospel of Mark. Spin it any way you want. I certainly have not lived up to it in my life, but I don't try to pretend Jesus didn't mean what He said:

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. 23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

so do you or don't you agree with jesus when he says sell everything you have.

Holly

Sir Cast-a-Lot said:
so do you or don't you agree with jesus when he says sell everything you have.
Who am I to disagree with Jesus?

[Note to Castalot: For some reason every single post of yours I have seen is cast ( so to speak) in the form of a question, even if you occasionally omit the question mark. Do you have any opinions or information of your own, or are you just going to keep on with this pseudo-Socratic schtick ad infinitum? Do I have to resort to answering each one of your questions with a question of my own? Have you ever been around a toddler who just discovered the word "Why"? Do you remember how annoying that became? And how quickly? How come you didn't end your last question with a question mark? Did you wear it out on your keyboard already? How come....?]

dRock

Shimei said:
2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
And they do work. And they do eat. The conditions, on the other hand, are the reason they need all this aid.

Sir Cast-a-Lot

Holly said:
Who am I to disagree with Jesus?

[Note to Castalot: For some reason every single post of yours I have seen is cast ( so to speak) in the form of a question, even if you occasionally omit the question mark. Do you have any opinions or information of your own, or are you just going to keep on with this pseudo-Socratic schtick ad infinitum? Do I have to resort to answering each one of your questions with a question of my own? Have you ever been around a toddler who just discovered the word "Why"? Do you remember how annoying that became? And how quickly? How come you didn't end your last question with a question mark? Did you wear it out on your keyboard already? How come....?]

lol , i like you holly! the reason i asked is that we all know what christ said, what i am trying to figure out is if you agree with it or not. since you say , who am i to disagree with jesus , im assuming you are a christian. no or yes?

Holly

Sir Cast-a-Lot said:
im assuming you are a christian. no or yes?
Yes. I am a Christian, but in all truthfulness I have never felt that I can hold myself out as an ideal example of one. Not a day goes by when I do not fall short of the glory of God. :cry:

Sir Cast-a-Lot

Holly said:
Yes. I am a Christian, but in all truthfulness I have never felt that I can hold myself out as an ideal example of one. Not a day goes by when I do not fall short of the glory of God. :cry:

so do you strive to live by the example that jesus presents? which is sell everything you have.

dRock

Holly said:
As is the situation for everyone...
"For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." Romans 3:23

Holly

Sir Cast-a-Lot said:
so do you strive to live by the example that jesus presents? which is sell everything you have.
Umm, I thought I already answered that question in post #12 of this thread:
Holly said:
I certainly have not lived up to it in my life, but I don't try to pretend Jesus didn't mean what He said

And drock, thank you for that quote from Romans. I think we all need to be reminded from time to time! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.