ARCHIVE: apology for the manner of my attack on Bob Enyart

julie21

Mr. 5020 said:
I'm talking about welts/bruises that last long enough for the police to take pictures later. I have a feeling we'll just agree to disagree on this one.
That makes two of us on this one!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
As a note, I'll never admit to knowing whether or not Enyart actually did anything that I would consider "abuse." However, he is a convicted child abuser.
So you have no problem refering to someone, who never abused their child as a conviicted child abuser, as long as he was convicted.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
To the point of red welts?
My mother spanked me many times in my childhood. She raised welts on my backside exactly once, which caused her to adjust the manner in which she spanked me. Did that one spanking cross over the line of abuse? It did cross over a line that she made sure never to cross again! That fact alone tells me she was not given to child abuse.

Caille

deardelmar said:
So you have no problem refering to someone, who never abused their child as a conviicted child abuser, as long as he was convicted.

Since you declined to follow up on the thread " Zakath is Genuine" http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19304&page=22&pp=15, I'll bring it over here.

http://www.corpun.com/usdm9904.htm

xcerpt from the article:

April 10 - Denver Christian radio talk-show host Bob Enyart was handcuffed in a Jefferson County courtroom Friday and led to jail to begin serving a 60-day sentence for beating his stepson with a belt.

Enyart was convicted in 1995 of misdemeanor child abuse resulting in injury for inflicting bruises, welts and broken skin on the buttocks of his stepson, Stephen, who was 7 at the time. The misdemeanor case took two trials in Jefferson County and almost five years to play out.

"It's been a very long process, it's been very hard on Stephen," said John Mayns, the boy's father and custodial parent. Through the lengthy process, Enyart claimed that he did nothing wrong, saying in 1997 that "taking a boy to the woodshed" was once "politically correct." Enyart did not address the court Friday. But Mayns said the discipline was more than a mere spanking.

"He did not spank him, he beat him," Mayns said. The beating with a belt, for which Enyart was sentenced to jail, happened in the boy's mother's Arvada home. Enyart disciplined Stephen, at the behest of the boy's mother, Cheryl, for refusing to take a shower. The couple was dating at the time, but was not yet married. He was also accused of beating his stepson another time on a camping trip in El Paso County but was later acquitted.

Did Enyart use a belt ?

Was the the child Enyart's stepson at the time of the incident ?

Was the father convinced that abuse had occurred ?

Was the judge convinced that abuse had occurred ?

I guess the only way that Enyart would no longer be considered a "convicted child abuser" would be if he was pardoned. Has this happened?

At what point does discipline turn into abuse ?

How hard would you have to swing a belt to break the skin ?

Does it matter if the action is perpetrated by somebody unrelated to the child ? Without the permission of both parents ?

In a case like this one, who do you think should get to determine whether the line between discipline and abuse has been crossed ?

Mr. 5020

deardelmar said:
To say someone is a convicted child abuser isn't a matter of opinion; it is a fact.

Caille

ShadowMaid said:
For goodness sakes! I can make a red mark (small welt), by slapping my finger against my arm! If doesn't even hurt! Of course I want the spanking to hurt/sting, so yes, welts are okay.

And how hard would you have to slap your finger against your arm to break the skin ?

docrob57

For what it's worth, I am a "fan" of Mr. Enyart and I think that he is widely misunderstood, even at times by those who support him. In his public persona, he is deliberately confrontational. This is because he is trying to use the Law for its proper purpose, which is to convict the lost of their sinfulness and lead them to the understanding that they need a Savior. He cares about people enough to risk the condemnation even of brothers in Christ as a "shock jock" or some kind of deranged lunatic. I do not agree with him on all matters theological. But I think he is a legitimate servant of God and is worthy of support.

Yes he did spend time in jail. However, I would attribute this much more to the corruption of the secular law than to his own corruption.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
My mother spanked me many times in my childhood. She raised welts on my backside exactly once, which caused her to adjust the manner in which she spanked me. Did that one spanking cross over the line of abuse? It did cross over a line that she made sure never to cross again! That fact alone tells me she was not given to child abuse.

That's your mom though, not Mr. Enyart ;)

From my personal experience (being spanked by my parents), it's not the physical pain of spanking that causes the punishment. I can remember my parents spanking me and I would purposely cry, even though the pain wasn't enough to warrent crying, only because I wanted to make them feel bad. I feel the punishment comes more from the distance it creates. I loved my parents, and any kid who's been raised properly loves their parents, and feels bad when they've created a rift between them...

Also, the kid wasn't even techincally his son at the time, enyart was only dating the mom (according to the article just posted). And the kids real father said something to the effect of "he didn't spank him, he beat him" which indicates to me that this father isn't opposed to spanking, because he doesn't automatically equate spanking with beating or child abuse.

docrob57

beefalobilly said:
That's your mom though, not Mr. Enyart ;)

From my personal experience (being spanked by my parents), it's not the physical pain of spanking that causes the punishment. I can remember my parents spanking me and I would purposely cry, even though the pain wasn't enough to warrent crying, only because I wanted to make them feel bad. I feel the punishment comes more from the distance it creates. I loved my parents, and any kid who's been raised properly loves their parents, and feels bad when they've created a rift between them...

Also, the kid wasn't even techincally his son at the time, enyart was only dating the mom (according to the article just posted). And the kids real father said something to the effect of "he didn't spank him, he beat him" which indicates to me that this father isn't opposed to spanking, because he doesn't automatically equate spanking with beating or child abuse.

So the spanking incident is the only thing anyone is really concerned about?