toldailytopic: Jesus divides (Mt 10:34-36). Has Jesus divided you from another? (via

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadish

Same thing for homosexuality. I don't care who asks me what I think, I tell them it doesn't really matter what I think, it's what God thinks about homosexuality, and God does not condone it.

I must admit, this is one of the things which does irritate me about some religious people and has caused disagreement in the past. The point is, it is what you think, or rather, it's what you think God thinks. According to your religion, God = Truth. Therefore, for you to have an opinion you viewed as not being shared by God would automatically be rendered false and therefore invalid. If you didn't believe your opinion to be true, it wouldn't be your opinion. Anything you opine to be true you imply God's agreement with.

At the end of the day, you don't think God condones homosexuality. So it is your opinion after all.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
At the end of the day, you don't think God condones homosexuality. So it is your opinion after all.

That's correct sort of.

My "opinion" is based on what God says about homosexuality. But in reallity it is not an "opinion", it is obedience to God's word.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Who is "us"?

This thread is about Jesus dividing us (Christians) from others.

IMO, Jesus divides me from Muslims because Muslims do not believe He is the Son of God, not to mention the false prophet Muhammad that Muslims obey.

You and I have nothing in common when it comes to Jesus. We ("us") are not religious pals. Your Koran teaches that I am an enemy of Islam, and my Bible teaches that your Koran is a false gospel.

Therfore, my faith in Jesus Christ will always divide me from you and every other Muslim on the planet. I'm ok with that.

This isn't a Muslim thread. You keep bringing up Muslims, not me. I know it is a Christian thread. I said "us" in context of talking about religious people in general, when it comes to being called fundamentalist--all based on your comment of course, and it was totally in context of your post.

I'm not going to get into some pettifog with you over Muslim vs. Christian beliefs. I'll let God tell me on that day what he thinks about our beliefs and our book clubs, and whether it matters to him as much as it does to you and others. So, until then I am not concerned about your Muslim vs. Christian arguments--it's counter-productive.

So back to your initial comment, "My family thinks I'm a fundie wacko and won't talk to me" Just scroll up and re-read your responses and you should now why--well probably not, maybe I'm being optimistic.

Your family said it, i asked if you do certain things to make them say it, you responded, it was confirmed, I have my answer I first asked now. I think they are probably right in their evaluation of you--hey, family knows you better than me:)

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Don't you think that Muslims already know what Christians think of them, and Christians already know what Muslims think of them?

The answer is NO, because I don't judge people and assume they feel any certain way other than what they show me--I am not prejudice, nor am I a bigot--maybe you should try rising above such low standards of dealing with people. And with a statement like that you wonder why your family compares you to the old racist who didn't like blacks. You are literally showing why they think this about you, and you still don't get it.

Buzzword

MaryContrary said:
Interestingly, I cut myself off from my family in bitterness a long time ago. It's since becoming a Christian that I've begun to touch base with a begrudging one or two here and there. Still some real bitterness there, though. But at least I've had opportunity to express that in an assertive manner with a few of them. Even learned some of my assumptions about some things in the past were wrong.

Can't say I'm about to tra-la-la off to the next family barbecue or anything but there's been some mending. A little. Somewhat. And at least the possibility of more in the future.

Where as I would have counted it joy to watch them all burn in a fire once upon a time.

I'm curious what caused the initial division?
If it's too private I understand.
Not everything should be exposed to the Internet.

It doesn't seem to have been religiously based, since becoming a Christian you have gradually been reestablishing relationships with them.

Christ and the overall process of maturing into adulthood can show us how insignificant something we once held up as our end-all/be-all really is, and what really matters.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'm curious what caused the initial division?
If it's too private I understand.
Not everything should be exposed to the Internet.

It doesn't seem to have been religiously based, since becoming a Christian you have gradually been reestablishing relationships with them.

Christ and the overall process of maturing into adulthood can show us how insignificant something we once held up as our end-all/be-all really is, and what really matters.
Honestly, you probably don't want to know. Suffice to say, something very bad happened and my family didn't agree with the resolution. Further, they held (and many still hold) me responsible for actions I hadn't any control over, to my recollection. Probably because I maintain that, though out of my control, it was an entirely justified and appropriate resolution.

Until now I assumed they all felt that way. I'm finding not all did and many have since changed their minds. In point of fact, my bitterness and anger at the lot of them is now probably more unjustified than what I imagined of them to begin with. Odd how that can come about.

And, really even those that seem to need me to be the scapegoat here just show themselves to be pretty sick by that. Isn't even worthy of a proper wrath, if you think about it.

Meh. It'll all shake out in the end. I'll eventually develop a healthy attitude about it all and I'm getting there. And they'll...:think:...well, I suppose they'll eventually die of old age or something.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
What do you think the topic of the thread means?

My having faith in Jesus divides me from Muslims.

I know what the topic is. I was responding to your question which could apply to any member of a religion--you mentioned nothing about Muslims in your post until a Muslim asked you a question--that kinda speaks for itself and says something about your mindset. I asked a question, and you displayed why your family feels the way they do about you--as you described of course.

Again, I'm not getting into a Muslim vs. Christian argument with ya.

You responded by saying: "Don't you think that Muslims already know what Christians think of them, and Christians already know what Muslims think of them?"

Which shows that they are right in their evaluation of you being a fundamentalist wacko (your own words as you described their opinion of you). That statement is a typical close-minded fundamentalist bigot type of comment. If you presuppose people to be a certain way due to their preference of religion of sexuality, then you are prejudice, and a fundamentalist definitely, because your beliefs cloud your rationality and common-sense.

Not one of my post has asserted that you are anything. You are confirming it all on your own, and that's not my fault. I only merely asked you if you did a few things; you confirmed it all on your own.

""Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." "

BabyChristian

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 1st, 2010 10:31 AM

toldailytopic: Jesus divides (Mt 10:34-36). Has Jesus divided you from another? (via @ericsideabasket)

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

You got some strange names that are redded (or banned) out don't you?

bybee

Good points

Good points

Is it possible that you not only disapprove but condemn them as well? I mean, you can have issues with it and not agree with it, but it should not, and does not, have to be worn on your shoulders so that people feel offended by you.

I have a sister who is lesbian and she knows I do not agree with it, and neither does my family. I am a Muslim and my entire family are nothing but Christians and my sister does not feel offended by any of use, now does she have a problem coming around. That is my sister until the day I die and I will take care of her if she needed my help, regardless of her personal preferences--and that goes for anyone else gay, lesbian or not--they are still people. We all sin everyday and God sees sin as sin, gay or not--Christians included.

Just because you feel it is wrong and disapprove does not mean you have a right to talk condemnation and hell to them and quote them scriptures.

We are the judged and not the judders. I'm sure God is more than capable of handling these things without us running around with signs that say, "God Hates Homosexuals" or "Gays Will Go to Hell"--which would make you hateful and no different than other bigots.

People who grow up in our society full well know what religion teaches about homosexuality or have already heard it before, and does not need us preaching to them 24/7. I told my sister about it once and what I felt, as did my family, and we have not brought it up again, she has free-will and so do we.

Religious people always talk about free-will but if given the chance, would make sure no one had free-will, unless it fitted their religious views--we seen this numerous times throughout history. It seems that it is not enough for us religious people that we used our fee-will, we want to also use and direct other peoples free-will.

This is why people get offended and call religious people fundamentalist--they really mean to say annoying or irritating.

Let us remember that we are the judged and not the judgers.

It's sort of like "the fat lady knows she is fat". We may enlighten by loving example. Since judgment belongs to God we waste our real talents trying to muscle in on His territory! Let love be the basis for your words and your deeds.
Good post! bybee

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
It's sort of like "the fat lady knows she is fat". We may enlighten by loving example. Since judgment belongs to God we waste our real talents trying to muscle in on His territory! Let love be the basis for your words and your deeds.
Good post! bybee

Thank you.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which shows that they are right in their evaluation of you being a fundamentalist wacko (your own words as you described their opinion of you).

I have about 50 family members when counting my side and my wife's side. Out of those 50 there are maybe 2 or 3 that think I am a fundamentalist wacko.

Those 2 or 3 are not believers, are pro-homosexual, and also believe in evolution.

Again, the topic of the thread is how believing in Jesus divides us from friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

I don't expect an atheist, homosexual, Muslim, or Evolutionist to think much about me.

My point was that as a citizen of the USA people have a right to worship whatever they want, and believe whatever they want. It is not by duty to changer everyone or condemn everyone who is not a Christian.

However, when I am asked a question, or Christianity is attacked, I will stand up for it and give my opinion without caring who I may offend.

The reason I said "There will be no Muslims in Heaven" was to show you that I don't care if you are offended by it because I believe it is a true statement, and was showing how believing in Jesus divides people.

You are proof positive that my belief in Jesus divides me from Muslims. I'm ok with that, and I don't care if your feelings are hurt by what I say about Islam.

I would never go up to a Muslim on the street and say that, but if a Muslim or anyone else asks me what I think of Islam, I will say "there will be no Muslims in Heaven".

Since you don't believe in Jesus and obey the false prophet Muhammad, I don't think you understand the topic of the thread. The topic isn't about "religious" people.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Further, they held (and many still hold) me responsible for actions I hadn't any control over, to my recollection. Probably because I maintain that, though out of my control, it was an entirely justified and appropriate resolution.

Those in darkness do not comprehend the light.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
I have about 50 family members when counting my side and my wife's side. Out of those 50 there are maybe 2 or 3 that think I am a fundamentalist wacko.

Those 2 or 3 are not believers, are pro-homosexual, and also believe in evolution.

Again, the topic of the thread is how believing in Jesus divides us from friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

I don't expect an atheist, homosexual, Muslim, or Evolutionist to think much about me.

My point was that as a citizen of the USA people have a right to worship whatever they want, and believe whatever they want. It is not by duty to changer everyone or condemn everyone who is not a Christian.

However, when I am asked a question, or Christianity is attacked, I will stand up for it and give my opinion without caring who I may offend.

The reason I said "There will be no Muslims in Heaven" was to show you that I don't care if you are offended by it because I believe it is a true statement, and was showing how believing in Jesus divides people.

You are proof positive that my belief in Jesus divides me from Muslims. I'm ok with that, and I don't care if your feelings are hurt by what I say about Islam.

I would never go up to a Muslim on the street and say that, but if a Muslim or anyone else asks me what I think of Islam, I will say "there will be no Muslims in Heaven".

Since you don't believe in Jesus and obey the false prophet Muhammad, I don't think you understand the topic of the thread. The topic isn't about "religious" people.

:plain:

OMEGA

Real Christians can easily be austracised by Family and Friends due to lack
of understanding of the Real Christans beliefs and practices which are out of the norm
because they do not follow their families customs but those of God the Father and Jesus.

Mt 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mt 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Lu 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
Lu 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.