Why the death penalty for some sexual sins.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do you suppose the biblically prescribed consequences for some sexual sin seems so much harsher than for others? The people caught in adultery or homosexuality are to be put to death while the consequences for two single people having sex is to get married.

Seems to me that the institution of marriage, as God defines it, is pretty important to him!

Berean Todd

Balder said:
Do you think these laws should still be enforced?

In a non-Jewish society, no. But they are indicitive of God's feelings on the subject of things like homosexuality and it's sinful nature, which has not changed. It didn't change in the millenia separating the giving of the law and the time of the apostles, and it has not changed in the millenia since then.

Everglaze

Even if laws were enforced today in non-Jewish society, nothing would change the direction. I mean, people will always invent new ways of doing evil, whether it's sexual sins or other kinds of perversion.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Balder said:
Do you think these laws should still be enforced?
Adultery and homosexuality should be considered crimes ,yes.

julie21

Berean Todd: In a non-Jewish society, no. But they are indicitive of God's feelings on the subject of things like homosexuality and it's sinful nature, which has not changed.
Can you explain why not in a non-Jewish society please... Are you saying that in the case of having to get married for having sexual relations outside of that institution, God as changed His mind perhaps?...yet not re the other points noted? I am sincerely interested in your reasoning.

Everglaze

deardelmar said:
Adultery and homosexuality should be considered crimes ,yes.

I used to agree on this...and I still do to a certain extent. However, it doesn't really change anything, because in the end, people will still commit them.

It's the same thing with drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.

Take fornication for example. Even if people know the risk and harms and even if protection doesn't guarantee, they're still in it for the pleasure. They'll continue to do this. So, by making it illegal, people would still do this.

julie21

Lucky said:
Not if the punishment is death. :dead:
I think you would find it wouldn't deter all...of course, those who had been killed, would not have the chance to do it more than once...
And, out of interest, would this death penalty for adultery only be in reference to practicing Jews or Christians, or unbelievers as well?

beanieboy

julie21 said:
I think you would find it wouldn't deter all...of course, those who had been killed, would not have the chance to do it more than once...
And, out of interest, would this death penalty for adultery only be in reference to practicing Jews or Christians, or unbelievers as well?

Would there be any non-believers?
Elijah killed the worshippers of Baal.
Where is the line drawn?
Would there be an execution of all non-believers as well?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
Are you only talking about for adultery here, or do you mean that capital punishment is an ineffective deterrent in general?
Criminal justice should not discriminate based on a person's religious beliefs or practices. The pain and dysfunction that adulterous unbelievers inflict upon their families and the families of their "lovers" is just as real.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Would there be an execution of all non-believers as well?
No, just like there wouldn't be an execution for anyone who does yardwork on Saturday.

Rimi

Everglaze said:
I used to agree on this...and I still do to a certain extent. However, it doesn't really change anything, because in the end, people will still commit them.

It's the same thing with drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.

Take fornication for example. Even if people know the risk and harms and even if protection doesn't guarantee, they're still in it for the pleasure. They'll continue to do this. So, by making it illegal, people would still do this.

God instituted the death penalty for murder, and yet some people still murdered. Just because some dingbat slob continues to sin/commit crime doesn't mean you do away with the penalty.

Everglaze

Rimi said:
God instituted the death penalty for murder, and yet some people still murdered. Just because some dingbat slob continues to sin/commit crime doesn't mean you do away with the penalty.

But the point is, even if you had the penalty and even if the criminal was "stopped," there'd still be people committing it elsewhere at any time, and even in secret.

How many adulterers do you think there are in this world? That'd be a lot of people receiving the punishment. And yet, people won't stop because hedonism goes beyond their ability to think of the consequences.

You can punish them, sure...but that's not my point. I'm only saying that it won't make much of a difference.

Of course, there's a bunch of theories to this "deterrence" thing though -- take Sociology of Deviance class :)

billwald

The problem is the ability to detect the "Christian" invention of the thought crime. Christianity teaches that the contemplation of sin produces as much (technical) guilt as the actual carrying out the sin. In OT times, only the act of adultary could be punished. Thanks to lie detection, we now have the ability to punish the criminal thought of adultary and the church would disappear.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
billwald said:
The problem is the ability to detect the "Christian" invention of the thought crime. Christianity teaches that the contemplation of sin produces as much (technical) guilt as the actual carrying out the sin. In OT times, only the act of adultary could be punished. Thanks to lie detection, we now have the ability to punish the criminal thought of adultary and the church would disappear.
Nice straw man. billwald, you really are a fool. Not all sins are crimes, and no one is advocating prosecuting anyone for sinful thoughts that are not carried out in action. Even in "OT times" God commanded against not just stealing and committing adultery, but coveting:

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's." Exodus 20:17​