Talk to the guy who tried to do something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimi

Jefferson said:
Before I get to my main point I first need clarification on this sentence of yours. Were you serious about this? Are you actually saying that you think it would have been God-honoring for Christians to become vigilantes and act like some right-wing militias that are around? My guess is that you don't actually believe this. I'm right, aren't I?

I will not clarify this till you answer a prior question: Did Doug have x-amount of people standing by to rush the building while he sidetracked the police? I don't get that in his version of events. He'd hoped people would be motivated, but didn't actually set out instructing, "OK, here's the plan . . ." Also, you haven't addressed how Doug wasn't doing anything that hadn't already been done as I made clear in post #127. Respond to these and then we can move on to your main point.

julie21

Jefferson said:
Since you're finished with this thread, try to calculate how many rewards in heaven you just lost in your efforts to discourage those few Christians who actually have any courage. I feel sorry for you.
I find the term 'lighten up' is used frequently as a way of a 'comeback' in life...when the user of the term gets a reply that is not exactly as they were expecting. I will make no apology for my reaction to the above post, and did not for a moment entertain the notion that you were applying the act of apostasy to myself...the wording of my post merely came from your calling on me to 'calculate how many rewards I lost in my efforts to discourage those few Christians who actually have any courage'. The offense was taken primarily from your assumption that I had finished with the thread, and secondly,but to the greater degree, your line of " I feel sorry for you.", in regard to your assuming that I was a discouragement to other Christians, and that I would not get as many rewards in Heaven!
Jefferson, you know me as Julie21 on the board...know anything else about me at all?....only what you see in my 'Public Profile'...here's a heads up for you,Jefferson,... you know NOTHING about me at all...what I do, who I am, what I personally believe or prioritise,what my 'job' is, how many peple I interact with and what I do amongst those in this fallen world, are all unknown to you. I can assure you Jefferson, nowhere in my life do I need you to feel sorry for me, nor worry at all about my rewards in Heaven being limited by my posting re McBurney. I made one call on the way I personally perceived a man's actions, and suddenly, I am a "discourager of Christian courage" . I like the massive leap you took there...not.
I refer you to your own words, quoted from a previous post in this thread...
Jefferson: Additionally his goal was to have 300 people join him. That's why he brought 300 dixie cups and 10 gallons of water with him. It's not his fault that 299 people did not join him.
Looks like all of those people there didn't need me to discourage them on the day, did it?..I have an alibi for not being there by the way..just so it's clear I had no part in discouraging the 299.

I made my 'call', yes - merely an earthly 'human' call on McBurney's actions of that day...I CALL IT AS I SEE IT...God will call it as He does in time. The same goes for your 'call' on my posts, as with yours...does it not occur to youi that God made all men different...even those who are His own? We can be unified in our belief in Him, but we do not necessarily have to be unified in the way we go about doing His works for the Kingdom. I read DBC as a lot of people believing, or being swept along into doing God's works the way that Mr Enyart and his pals decree....if you aren't with them, well, you must be against them.
Once again, I am invoking the right that the Lord has given me to discern freely the actions of others. I will refrain from the use of the term the term, 'judgement of' i regard to those actions, as I would not like to confuse people into believing I am doing what our Lord will do...I am offering my opinion of what is in discussion, which I know will never align itself with that of your own. Qe Sera...Sera.
I have to leave off now, to attend to more pressing matters in life, and the whole scheme of things, so bid you Adieu for the moment.

ps...Zakath...I have no illusion as to my 'After-life' I know that there will be one for me in Heaven with my Lord...I just don't get all worried or see the need to dwell on what I am going o do there at all. He has promised me a room in His Father's house, and even if it is the stable out the back, and my bed is in amongst the straw of the manger...I don't care, for I know He will be there. That's all this girl looks forward to ;)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Rimi:

As I've stated before, I don't criticize anyone who attempts to do anything to save innocent life, no matter how lame that attempt may be. I really don't care whether or not Doug had "x-amount of people standing by to rush the building while he sidetracked the police." He attempted to do something so I'm not going to criticize him.

Likewise, I don't care if Doug did or did not do "anything that hadn't already been done." He attempted to do something so I'm not going to criticize him.

By the way, since those who showed up to pray could have done so inside their homes, what was the purpose of praying in front of the hospice if not for your so-called "mere" symbolism?

Note: I'm not against symbolism or any other pro-life activity because Jesus said If we are not with Him we are against Him and pro-life symbolism is not against Christ. I'm asking you this question because of your views against symbolism.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
The offense was taken primarily from your assumption that I had finished with the thread, and secondly,but to the greater degree, your line of " I feel sorry for you.", in regard to your assuming that I was a discouragement to other Christians, and that I would not get as many rewards in Heaven!
You won't. By the way, you never responded to... "So you practice ignoring God's command to us in First Corinthians 9:24? - " Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it." How 'bout responding to that the second time around?

I made one call on the way I personally perceived a man's actions, and suddenly, I am a "discourager of Christian courage"
Well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Looks like all of those people there didn't need me to discourage them on the day, did it?..I have an alibi for not being there by the way..just so it's clear I had no part in discouraging the 299.
There are plenty of Christians like you in this country who have been doing that job for you.

...does it not occur to youi that God made all men different...even those who are His own? We can be unified in our belief in Him, but we do not necessarily have to be unified in the way we go about doing His works for the Kingdom.
That's why I don't criticize the people who "only" prayed. It's you who are demanding that people like McBurney conform their actions to your wishes. How much of a control freak are you anyway?

I read DBC as a lot of people believing, or being swept along into doing God's works the way that Mr Enyart and his pals decree.
"Decree?" The following is a quote from Enyart on his show on January 30th, 2001 entitled, “Choose Your Battle.” See http://kgovarchives.com/kgov2001.html

”I think you come down on the side of legalism, and therefore sin, if you say, “Everyone must fight the battle that I’m choosing to fight and they must fight it in the way that I’m choosing to fight it.”

Care to retract your accusation?

julie21

Jefferson said:
You won't. By the way, you never responded to... "So you practice ignoring God's command to us in First Corinthians 9:24? - " Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it." How 'bout responding to that the second time around?

My response...I run my race to finish...and my prize is guaranteed. I know it and that is that as far as I am concerned. I will pick up my crown from Christ at the end...see you at the finish line, if you are there. Didn't know that yu had the inside info as a 'track marshall' on who is going to get the 6o watt points compared to the 20 watters. Interesting position you've given yourself there!

Just how on this earth do you, Jefferson, know what rewards my Lord will have for me? Making VERY BIG assumptions there aren't you? Even I wasn't such a putz as to querie McBurney's rewards credit in Heaven for his action...who's being judgemental now? "Got a touch of the old, I'm a better Christian than you so I know?" going on there my friend? I used to love seeing Christians do that to each other when I was a non-believer. Ah well...you'll keep the atheists happy with that one.
There are plenty of Christians like you in this country who have been doing that job for you.
That's why I don't criticize the people who "only" prayed. It's you who are demanding that people like McBurney conform their actions to your wishes. How much of a control freak are you anyway?

Not enough of a control freak that I am telling others they will not be rewarded in Heaven, I guess. Let's put it this way, I have no desire to control McBurney's acrtions...what he does/ did is up to him...I offered, as others have, my OPINION on that. Cite for me where I said he HAD to do what I said would have been a better way of geting water to Terri? VERY INTERESTED in seeing your citing of that!
"Decree?" The following is a quote from Enyart on his show on January 30th, 2001 entitled, “Choose Your Battle.” See http://kgovarchives.com/kgov2001.html

”I think you come down on the side of legalism, and therefore sin, if you say, “Everyone must fight the battle that I’m choosing to fight and they must fight it in the way that I’m choosing to fight it.”

Care to retract your accusation?
Clarify for me simply the accusation I purportedly made. Then I will see if retraction on my part is warranted. :yawn:
Edited...
Jefferson: If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it must be...
:darwinsm: Good to see you are not devoid of a comical streak! There are many idioms one could use, yet I so far have refrained, out of deference to civility...lowering of discussion to a new level now, hey Jefferson?

Last edited:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
I can't think of anyone from the religious side of the house whose opinion I value enough that it would offend me...

And you're right, you wouldn't be on such a very short list... ;)

One must develop a metaphorical "thick skin" to survive as a poster from a minority viewpoint in places like this one. :devil:
:darwinsm: You've got the "victim" scam down pretty well.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I found Gary North's remarks vis a vis Randall Terry pretty much on the mark.

"Meanwhile, the chief self-appointed loudmouth for Christ in front of the TV cameras in Florida was a man who years ago divorced his wife, abandoned his pre-teen children, married his 'assistant,' and fled to Florida, where the state's homestead exemption protects the money he has tied up in his house. The Schiavo case was an opportunity to revive his long lost glory in front of the cameras. In his case, he would be well-advised put down his sign and go home. And we wonder why the world sniggers."

North is always good for putting the stuffed shirts of the world in their place.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
granite1010 said:
I found Gary North's remarks vis a vis Randall Terry pretty much on the mark.

"Meanwhile, the chief self-appointed loudmouth for Christ in front of the TV cameras in Florida was a man who years ago divorced his wife, abandoned his pre-teen children, married his 'assistant,' and fled to Florida, where the state's homestead exemption protects the money he has tied up in his house. The Schiavo case was an opportunity to revive his long lost glory in front of the cameras. In his case, he would be well-advised put down his sign and go home. And we wonder why the world sniggers."

North is always good for putting the stuffed shirts of the world in their place.
:darwinsm: You mean self-righteous holier-than-thou moralizing?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
julie21 said:
...Zakath...I have no illusion as to my 'After-life' I know that there will be one for me...
From my POV all you have is "illusion" as to your afterlife... ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Frank Ernest said:
You've got the "victim" scam down pretty well.
Nope, you're apparently confusing me with religionists. I'm not the one whining about how "persecuted" I am. :chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Frank Ernest said:
:darwinsm: You mean self-righteous holier-than-thou moralizing?

Pretty much. Terry is the last guy in the world who deserves to stand on a soapbox.

julie21

Zakath said:
From my POV all you have is "illusion" as to your afterlife... ;)
And you are welcome to your point of viewmy friend, just as I am confident in your allowing me to acknowledge from my point of view, that I have every confidence that my 'illusion' as to my afterlife, will come to fruition as promised by my Saviour. You however, have nothing really to look forward to I guess, and if that is what you want it to be, so be it. All I can do is pray that you will see it differently one day. Does it anny atheists that Christians continue to pray for them? Just interested...'cos if an atheist says not to, he can't really enforce it, can he...unless murder is committed etc. Just thinking a bit abstractly and off the thread topic for a moment..a light change of scenery if you will. ;)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
granite:

Where did you get that quote from North? Do you have a link?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
granite:

Where did you get that quote from North? Do you have a link?

I'm on his monthly mailing list, it was included in an email. I can forward it to your email address.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
granite1010 said:
I'm on his monthly mailing list, it was included in an email. I can forward it to your email address.
Are you talking about "Reality Check?" If so, I subscribe to it but I'm a few weeks behind reading it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Are you talking about "Reality Check?" If so, I subscribe to it but I'm a few weeks behind reading it.

No, this is the ICE newsletter. Sent out on April 5th.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
julie21 said:
And you are welcome to your point of viewmy friend, just as I am confident in your allowing me to acknowledge from my point of view, that I have every confidence that my 'illusion' as to my afterlife, will come to fruition as promised by my Saviour. You however, have nothing really to look forward to I guess, and if that is what you want it to be, so be it. All I can do is pray that you will see it differently one day.
Amen. :D (latin for "so be it".)

Does it anny atheists that Christians continue to pray for them?
Not this particular atheist, no. :nono:

Just interested...'cos if an atheist says not to, he can't really enforce it, can he...unless murder is committed etc. Just thinking a bit abstractly and off the thread topic for a moment..a light change of scenery if you will. ;)
A bit random... :shocked:

Rimi

Jefferson said:
Rimi:

As I've stated before, I don't criticize anyone who attempts to do anything to save innocent life, no matter how lame that attempt may be. I really don't care whether or not Doug had "x-amount of people standing by to rush the building while he sidetracked the police." He attempted to do something so I'm not going to criticize him.

Yes, you do. Why else would you refer to rebuking prayer closet Christians. He attempted symbolism, as you here again admit. If you don't even CARE that whether Doug had people ready to carry water with him, then you're admitting that it was purely sympolic.

Likewise, I don't care if Doug did or did not do "anything that hadn't already been done." He attempted to do something so I'm not going to criticize him.

Even tho it'd been done before, earlier by 30 people. OK, so long as you can he "did something". That's symbolism again.

By the way, since those who showed up to pray could have done so inside their homes, what was the purpose of praying in front of the hospice if not for your so-called "mere" symbolism?

Jefferson, you're being obtuse. Go back and read everything I've read in this thread. Somewhere in here I make it clear that I have nothing against symbolism, it has it's place. See post #97.

Note: I'm not against symbolism or any other pro-life activity because Jesus said If we are not with Him we are against Him and pro-life symbolism is not against Christ. I'm asking you this question because of your views against symbolism.

See post #97. Doug did this for symbolism. He admits he did this for his daughter. To now say that he was actually trying to actuallly water to Terry is a lie. In the beginning, symbolism like this might've been OK. But how many days had Terry been without at that point?? The time for symbolism had passed. All Doug did was what others had done symbolically before him. It'd been done. He wasn't doing anything new or effective. It didn't work before, and it didn't work with Doug. By the time he took to doing it, it just looked foolish because it was already proven ineffectual in this case.

JoyfulRook

I was going to respond to Rimi's post when I realized: "He's a blithering Idiot!" Why should I waste my time! :loser:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Dread Helm said:
I was going to respond to Rimi's post when I realized: "He's a blithering Idiot!" Why should I waste my time! :loser:
So why did you waste your time posting? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.