Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
Not fair Granite! You already knew where I was going with this one! :sheep:

:ha:

Great minds think alike, it seems.

Welcome to TOL, by the way.

ChristisKing

Wamba the Fool said:
Yeah, I totally agree. I'm just as disgusted with Democrats, but the "Reblican Right" should not be supporting suicide and living wills or written directives. Those are just fancy terms for suicide. The Right Wing should know better. The Christians such as James Dobson should know better.

Matt. 15:14 ...if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Of course, but the liberal agenda is much more heinous and therefore I am much more upset with them. Dobson supports suicide?

Caledvwlch

ChristisKing said:
Of course, but the liberal agenda is much more heinous and therefore I am much more upset with them. Dobson supports suicide?
I agree that the liberal agenda is heinous, but for different reasons. I loathe the idea of redistribution of wealth, and government control of property. When was the last time somebody from the right wing actually stuck to their guns and called for the end of welfare, the Department of Education, the EPA, Social Security, the FCC, etc?

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
So if the Right Wing was really sticking to their guns, would we be better off? Personally I don't think there is any situation when it is OK for congress or the president to circumvent the constitution. Whether it's for a good cause or not, it's still tyranny, and sets a precedent of tyranny. If Christianity was in charge, would things be better?

Yes. If we didn't have a Godless government things would be better

ChristisKing

Caledvwlch said:
I agree that the liberal agenda is heinous, but for different reasons. I loathe the idea of redistribution of wealth, and government control of property. When was the last time somebody from the right wing actually stuck to their guns and called for the end of welfare, the Department of Education, the EPA, Social Security, the FCC, etc?

I could not agree more, what a bunch of cowards! Ever hear of The Constituion Party? Now there's a new beginning!!

Caledvwlch

Wamba the Fool said:
Yes. If we didn't have a Godless government things would be better
That's not exactly what I was asking. Let me rephrase. If our government was a theocracy, with the majority of our laws codified in the text of the Scriptures... would we have more or less tyranny?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
That's not exactly what I was asking. Let me rephrase. If our government was a theocracy, with the majority of our laws codified in the text of the Scriptures... would we have more or less tyranny?

I say more, but that's no surprise...

Mr. 5020

Caledvwlch said:
More.

Granite

Hall of Fame
ChristisKing said:
Ok, definitely less! God's Laws are never a burden or tyranny, only man-made laws are!

Tell that to the good folks living in the Puritan colonies. Critics tended to be crushed or hanged to death. The lucky ones were just hounded away.

Or in Geneva, where defying the establishment got you burned alive.

Christians in this country alone have supported slavery, opposed women's suffrage, burned books, burned LPs, and outlawed alcohol. Not a great track record.

Throughout history there has NEVER been a Christian theocracy that hasn't abused its power. No exceptions.

Why should we trust you people now?

Caledvwlch

granite1010 said:
Tell that to the good folks living in the Puritan colonies. Critics tended to be crushed or hanged to death. The lucky ones were just hounded away.

Christians in this country alone have supported slavery, opposed women's suffrage, burned books, burned LPs, and outlawed alcohol. Not a great track record.

Throughout history there has NEVER been a Christian theocracy that hasn't abused its power. No exceptions.

I knew this was gonna get him going, hehehe.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 said:

Oy, you've really got a warped view of history and the bible.

Caledvwlch

Yorzhik said:
Oy, you've really got a warped view of history and the bible.
Care to prove him wrong? How about the Holy Roman Empire, the Spanish Inquisition. To name a couple more marvelous example of Christians in power. The Crusades? Since when is pre-emptive war justified in the scriptures?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caledvwlch said:
...Since when is pre-emptive war justified in the scriptures?
Wouldn't you consider the genocide described in Deuteronomy and Joshua as "pre-emptive war"? :think:

PureX

Can anyone name a theocracy that did not devolve into horrible torture, robbery, rape, and murder? The first settlers in America tried it, and that devolved into torture and murder. The Spanish tried it before that, and that devolved into torture, robbery, and murder. Then they exported their murderous theocratic practices to South America and wiped out an entire civilization through systematic rape, robbery, and murder. Before that, most of the countries in Europe were under a papal theocracy, and that resulted in hunderds of years of religious torture, rape, robbery, and murder in the form of the Crusades. In fact, when we look back over history, it seems the only civilizations that didn't devolve into mayhem were those devoted to various degrees of "enlightenment"; where religious superstitions and religious laws were placed on the back burner, and civil laws were based more on the promotion of freedom and commerce.

Theocracies have a terrible track record. And judging by many of the proposals I've heard here on TOL as to what a modern "theocracy" would look like, the track record of torture, rape, robbery, and murder would remain intact were we ever stupid enough to allow a theocrascy to occur. When people imagine themselves to be "God's policemen", they quickly devolve into monsters.

Caledvwlch

Zakath said:
Wouldn't you consider the genocide described in Deuteronomy and Joshua as "pre-emptive war"? :think:
Oh yeah... I forgot. Well I didn't forget, but I've always assumed that that was a special circumstance, ordered by God, as a symbolic whole burnt offering to cleanse the land of Canaan for God's people. That is of course assuming any of it actually happened.